Adding Pictures to Your Family Book
Any item that you can create in Family Tree Maker can also be included in your Family Book. If you create an Ancestor Tree, for instance, you can include pictures in it. Unique to the Family Book is the Text Item into which you can also add pictures. You can add pictures to your book by inserting pictures from your Family Tree Maker Scrapbooks into a text item. You must first add the picture to an individual's Scrapbook in order to use it in a book. A picture in a marriage scrapbook will not be allowed in a Text Item. If you want to use a picture from a marriage scrapbook, you must make a copy of that picture in an individual scrapbook. To make it easier for you to place your picture where you want it, we recommend that you add your text before you add your picture.
Note: Although you can use the Copy and Paste commands to add pictures to your text items, we recommend that you avoid using this method because it stores an extra copy of the picture on your hard disk, and increases the size of your Family File. This requires additional disk space and may also affect Family Tree Maker's performance. To avoid this situation, follow the steps described in this section.
To add a Scrapbook picture to a text item:
- In the Books view, go to the text item where you want to place the picture. In the Text Item window, position the cursor where you want to insert the picture.
- From the Insert menu, select Scrapbook Picture.
Family Tree Maker displays the Individuals with Scrapbook Pictures dialog box.
- In the Name field, type the name of the individual whose Scrapbook contains the picture you want to insert, or select the person's name from the list, and then click OK.
Family Tree Maker displays the Insert Scrapbook Picture dialog box.
- In the Available pictures list, select the picture you want to add.
Note: If the picture you want isn't in the list, or you selected the wrong Scrapbook, click Select new individual to select a different Scrapbook.
Family Tree Maker displays the picture you select in the Preview area. If the picture does not display, select the Preview Picture check box.
- Click OK to add the picture to the text item.
Family Tree Maker displays the picture in the text item. At this point you have the following options:
- Move the picture -- Select the picture and drag it to another location in the text item. If you don't like the new location, click the Undo toolbar button or from the Edit menu, select Undo.
- Size the picture -- Select the picture, and then from the Edit menu, select Size Picture. In the Format Picture dialog box, type the new picture size in the Picture width field, and then click OK.
- Save the picture in the text item -- Click the Save toolbar button, or from the File menu, select Save.
- Delete the picture from the text item --Select the picture, and then from the Edit menu, select Delete Picture.
- Close the text item window -- Click the Close toolbar button or from the File menu, select Close.