6.0a Update Installation and Troubleshooting
We're glad you've chosen Family Tree Maker to assist you with your family history research. We pride ourselves on the fact that we listen to our customers, and whenever possible we implement the requests that you make to improve Family Tree Maker.
Many of you thought we could improve the Index of Individuals by adding additional options. The Index of Individuals in all previous versions of Family Tree Maker could only display names entered on the family page. In version 6, you can now display females with their married last names. In addition, you can choose to display people by their nicknames.
To implement these new features, we had to completely reconstruct the Index of Individuals. One side effect of this reconstruction was that for files containing more than 30,000 individuals, opening and moving around in the Index of Individuals is slower.
When you began reporting this to us, we asked our development team to find a way to speed up the Index of Individuals. The Family Tree Maker 6.0a Index Optimization Update is the result of their hard work. Here are the areas where you will find improvements:
Below you will find detailed instructions on how to download and install an update to version 6 that will resolve this issue. Please follow the instructions carefully. If you encounter any problems installing the update, please refer to the troubleshooting tips section following the installation instructions.
- Starting Family Tree Maker
- Accessing the Index of Individuals
- Using the Index of Individuals with the following options:
- Not using AKA or married name
- Displaying the AKA as a separate entry or after the middle name
- Note: The speed when using the option to display married names for females was not affected by this update.
If you encounter any problems during this process, please read the following troubleshooting tips.
- Connect to the Internet, open your browser and go to the following URL: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/download/ftw60a.exe.
- In the dialog box that your Web browser now displays, choose to save (your browser may call it "Save as" or "Save to disk") the Family Tree Maker Version 6.0a Index Optimization Update on your hard drive in the same directory or folder as your existing Family Tree Maker version 6.0 program. Please make a note of the drive and directory or folder in which you save the file, because you'll need this information in the next steps below.
- Once the file is saved to your hard drive, you can decompress (unpack) and run it in one step:
Click Start and then click Run. Next, in the Open field, type C:\FOLDER\FTW60a.EXE, where "C:\FOLDER" represents the drive and folder to which you saved the Family Tree Maker Version 6.0a Index Optimization Update.
For example, if you saved it to a folder on your C:\ drive called "FTW," you would type C:\FTW\FTW60a.EXE. After entering this information, click OK.
This starts the WinZip Self-Extraction program. The WinZip self-extractor will prompt you to click "Setup" to run the Family Tree Maker Version 6.0a Index Optimization Update.
- Click Setup. The Family Tree Maker Version 6.0a Index Optimization Update's setup program starts. Follow the instructions on the screen.
Note: If you have more than one version of Family Tree Maker installed on your machine, please be
sure to select the directory or folder containing version 6.0. If you select a directory or folder
containing a previous version, the update software will display the message "Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match." For help with this problem, please see the troubleshooting section following these instructions.
- When the Family Tree Maker Version 6.0a Update is complete, start Family Tree Maker. To verify that the update has been successful, from the Help menu in Family Tree Maker select About Family Tree Maker. The version number and date in this dialog should now be "Version 6.0a" and "April 2, 1999."
Troubleshooting the Family Tree Maker 6.0a Index Optimization Update
You receive the error message: "Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."
This error message indicates that the version of Family Tree Maker that the update software found on your machine is a version that is earlier than 6.0. This can happen if:
- You haven't yet upgraded. Please see our upgrade information online .
- You have more than one version of Family Tree Maker installed on your machine. To find all of the copies of Family Tree Maker on your computer, use the Find command on the Start menu in Windows 95/98 to search for FTW.EXE.
Once you find all of the copies of FTW.EXE, you will need to determine which is your copy of version 6.0. Check the date next to the FTW.EXE file name. If the date is before February 1999, then it is not version 6.0. Copy down the full path of the 6.0 file and then repeat step 3 of the Family Tree Maker for Windows 6.0a Index Optimization Update installation instructions listed above.