Readme.txt File is Displayed When GenealogyLibrary.com CD is Inserted Into CD-ROM Drive
This usually occurs when your installation of Windows does not have any World Wide Web browser associated with HTML files. Use the appropriate set of instructions to tell Windows which browser is the default browser. Then, try re-inserting the GenealogyLibrary.com CD into your CD-ROM drive. If nothing happens after you do this, please see the knowledge base article on How to Activate Your Free GenealogyLibrary.com Subscription
Making Internet Explorer Your Default Browser
- In Internet Explorer go to the Tools menu and choose Internet Options.
- Click the Programs tab.
- At the bottom, check the box that says "Internet Explorer should check to see if it's the default browser."
- Quit Internet Explorer
- Restart Internet Explorer, and you'll see a message asking if you want Internet Explorer as your default browser.
- Before you click Yes, uncheck the box that says "Always perform this check"
Making Netscape Your Default Browser
- Exit Communicator/Navigator.
Note: Make sure Communicator and all of its components are not running.
- Go to the Netscape directory on your hard drive. Open up your hard drive (usually labeled C: drive). Next, find and open the folder labeled Program Files. Inside you will find a folder labeled Netscape.
Note: This is the default location for Netscape; the location on your particular computer may differ. If necessary, you can use the Find feature in the Start menu to locate it.
- Inside the Netscape folder, open up the folder labeled Users.
- Inside Users, open the folder with the same name as your Communicator profile. There may be only one folder, but if there is more than one, choose the one that coincides with the profile you select when you launch Netscape.
- Back up the file called prefs.js somewhere on your hard drive.
Note: This file may simply be labeled prefs.
- Open this file by using a text editor. By default the perfs.js file is associated with Netscape. In order to open this file with a text editor, select the file with a right click and choose the menu item called Open With. In the window that appears, select Notepad or Notepad.exe from the list. Next, make sure that the "Always use this program to open this type of file" checkbox at the bottom of the window is unchecked. Then, click the OK button to close this window and open the prefs.js file.
- In this file, you will see a line (you may have to scroll down a bit) that reads:
Leaving the line otherwise untouched, change the word true to the word false.
Note: Disregard the text at the top of this page that reads "This is a generated file! Do not edit." If you do not see the above line in your prefs file, Communicator may already be configured as your default browser.
- Save the file (choose Save from the File menu) and close the window.
- Next time you launch Communicator/Navigator, you will be presented with a dialog box asking if you would like Netscape to be set as your default browser. Choose Yes.