Notes for Sherman Babcock: From Vermont came to Indiana by 1818 Sherman Babcock, 1762 - 1851 Sherman Babcock was born on 19 Oct 1762 in South Kingstown, Washington County, Rhode Island. Nothing has been uncovered as to his parentage or siblings. Most of what we know about him and his family comes from certain vital, land, and census records, and information provided in an application for a Revolutionary War pension. Sherman served during the Revolutionary War as a private in the militia of several states. He enlisted three times, and was drafted twice, for a total of about two years service. In Mar 1777, at the age of 15, Sherman enlisted in the Connecticut Militia to serve as a substitute for three months. He served under Captain Joseph Fish in the 4th Regiment and was stationed in Groten and Stonington Point, CT. On 25 Jun 1777 Sherman again enlisted in the Connecticut Militia to serve for nine months. He served under Captain Josiah Baldwin in Colonel John Ely's regiment, and was stationed in New London, Connecticut. His company was marched to White Plains, NY, in preparation for a crossing to Long Island, which never happened, though Colonel Ely was captured by the British. Sherman returned to Stonington Point, and on 14 May 1778 Sherman enlisted for a third term of one year. He served under Captain Joshua Babcock in Colonel John Topham's regiment, and was stationed in Tiviston, Rhode Island. After mustering out, he settled in Pownall, Vermont. While there he was drafted for two consecutive tours of two months each, serving to guard prisoners and maintain the border. He served under Captain Briggs in Colonel Robertson's regiment. He was likely discharged about Apr 1779. By 1789 he was settled in Westfield (later called Fort Ann), Washington County, New York (near Lake Champlain). He married Delecta Rich, daughter of James Rich. Sherman became the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Westfield on 12 Feb 1790. In 1790 or 1791, Sherman and Delecta had the first of their eleven children, son Thomas. Another son, Young (also called Youngs), was born in 1792. He served with the First Baptist Church until 1792. The Babcock family then moved to Panton, Addison County, Vermont. Son Barnes (also called Barnabus) was born there on 24 Feb 1794. On 4 July 1794, Sherman helped found the Panton Baptist Church. The family moved back to Westfield sometime after this. Daughter Amanda was born there in 1795, and son Hiram (also called Henry) was born in 1798. On 19 Sep 1799, Sherman was again called to become the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Westfield. He was ordained by a council of churches from Hartford, Queensbury, Sharon, Kingsbury, Granville, and Middletown, Vermont. He served for six years, and permanently severed his connection to the Church on 5 Jun 1805. Sons Lee (also called Stephen) and James R (possibly named after his grandfather) were born in Westfield in 1801 and 1803, respectively. The family again returned to Panton before the birth of their eighth child, daughter Salome, in 1806. Sherman bought 15 acres of land in Ferrisburg from Ferris Holcomb, which was recorded on 7 Apr 1806. Son Rowland was born 5 Mar 1809, followed by daughter Elesta (also called Lusty or Linty) in 1812, and son Pardon A 28 Aug 1814. On 9 Oct 1809, Young married Beulah (or Bela) Bishop, oldest daughter of Jesse Bishop, in Panton. Thomas married Clarissa Ferris, daughter of James Ferris, on 20 Feb 1810 in Panton. Barnes was married in 1814 to Asenath Grover, likely in Fort Ann. Thomas served as a pilot in the U.S. Naval Squadron on Lake Champlain from 27 Apr 1814 to 28 Nov 1814 (during the War of 1812). Barnes also served during the war. Sherman sold his land in Panton on 22 Sep 1814, possibly to escape the fighting. Sometime between 1815 and 1818 he and his family started a migration west that would ultimately end in Oregon. By 1818, Sherman and family were settled in Posey Township, Harrison County, Indiana. More of Sherman's children were married here over then next twenty years. Stephen married Sally Washburn on 2 May 1818 in Clark County, Indiana. Amanda married Jonathan Elsworth 14 days later (on 16 May 1818) in the same county. James married Rachel Mulkins, daughter of Henry Mulkins and Mary Duncan, on 25 Dec 1822 in Posey. Rowland married Nancy Pyburn, daughter of Richard Pyburn and Mary A Hardin, on 22 Oct 1828 in Posey. Elesta married Williard Mulkins (brother of Rachel) on 18 May 1834 in Posey. Pardon married Elizabeth Pyburn (sister of Nancy) on 29 Oct 1835 in Posey. Hiram married Lydia about 1820. No information is known of any marriage of Salome. In Jun 1832, Congress passed the Pension Law, which provided pensions for Revolutionary War Veterans. Sherman filed for his pension on 2 Oct 1832 in open court in Harrison County. He was placed on the pension rolls for Indiana (#22333) on 26 Oct 1833 at a semi-annual rate of $40.00, retroactive to 4 Mar 1831. In 1842 Sherman and Delecta moved to Pleasant Prairie, Racine County (now Kenosha County), Wisconsin with their sons Rowland and Pardon. Sherman and Delecta were received into the congregation of the First Baptist Church in Kenosha on 18 Sep 1844. In Feb 1847 Sherman and Delecta moved to Benton Township, Knox County, Missouri to be near to their Pardon and his family. It also appears that Rowland moved there briefly as well, as his son Richard was born in Knox County in 1847. Sherman continued his Baptist ministry in Missouri. Records show that he married at least four couples in Knox County between Apr and Nov 1848. Sherman died on 18 Jan 1851 in Winchester, Clay Township, Clark Co, Missouri. 1850 Census records (taken in June 1850) do not mention Delecta; it may be presumed that she died between Feb 1847 and June 1850, probably in Missouri. No burial place has been identified for Sherman or Delecta.
Sources: Revolutionary War Pension affidavit, 2 Oct 1832. Military Muster Rolls, Jun 7777 through Feb 1779. Military Pension Rolls, Mar 1832 through Jan 1851. Washington Union Baptist Association Minutes, 1864. Church Minutes of First Baptist Church, Kenosha, WI, 1844-1847. United States Census Records, 1790-1850. Research by Alice Babcock Holmes, 1993. Research by Marilyn Light. ABOVE TAKEN FROM THE HOMEPAGES OF EDDIE BABCOCK. IN APPRECIATION OF HIS EFFORTS IN TRACING THE BABCOCK FAMILY HISTORY.
**** ( NOTE: Parents of Sherman are not proven - listed as a possibility only! )
The following is from a 60 page booklet compiled by Mrs. Lois K. Thurber, Church Clerk for the "Community Baptist Church in Panton, Vermont" in 1994. A Church With A Past ... A Church for the future. Historical Sketch of the Community Baptist Church in Panton, Vermont 1794- 1994 COVENANT OF THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH IN PANTON (Adopted July 24th, 1794) We solemnly, in the presence of Almighty God, do covenant and agree through the grace of Christ to give up ourselves unreservedly to God and one another, even our gifts to the disposal of the Church as God shall call. We promise... - to take the word of God, the old and new testaments, for our only Rule of Faith and practice; - to walk in the ordinances and commands of Christ; - to yeild true and willing obedience too God in all things; - to meet with our brethren and to maintain the public worship of God; - to pray with and for one another; - to relieve the poor as far as may be our duty; - to watch over each other for good and strive to help each other as to spiritual and natural things; - to watch against lightness or vanity in ourselves or our brethren against all foolish talking and jesting that is not covenant but hurtful to the cause of Christ; and to strive for the Glory of God and upbuilding of his cause and edifying of our brethren. In testimony to this agreement, we sign our names and with willing hearts say, "AMEN"... DEDCATED LEADERS Over the past 200 years, God has called several men and women to serve as pastors of this church, since it was first orginized on July 24,1794 by Elder Henry Chamberlain. The following pasters have been called to serve this small church in Panton(including full time, and part time, as well as interim pastors): Henry Chamberlain H. H. Richarson Sherman Babcock George Beach Abel Woods Helen June Heath and Idalee Woodson John Stearns Myra Borden and Nellie Seward E. Hurlburt Frances Robie John Dodge Bartlett Hager Elder Church Jeanne Sherman and June Schaffner James TenBroeke Wayne Austin R. A. Hodge Richard Matera P. C. Dayfoot H.B. Van Vliet H. C. Robbins Gordon Hutchins D. F. Estes Theodore Swetnam W. M. Mayhew Katie Macneill A. A. Davis Loring Wilkens S. H. Myers Peter Miller P. H. Sherman Reginald Watson George Pomfrey Flecter and Harriett Brown Br. Lamson Samuel Graham George Harvey Roger Stafford H. H. White Walter Wild Br. Blanchard John Fondry H. A. Dorr Larney McGrath H. T. Slocum James Densman W. R. Kuszmink Kenneth Weldon E. Rockwell Jim Cook Note: Due to some missing church records, we believe some names have been inadverdently omitted. IN THE BEGINNING... 1794 - 1799 For the past two hundred years the Community Baptist Church in Panton(originally named the First Baptist Church) has served as God's instrument in pervading the community and the world with the Good News of the Gospel of God's love. As a small stone cast into the sea ripples the water in even-widening circles until they are no more visible to the naked eye, so this church has extended its influence until even the uttermost parts of the earth bear, in some small measue known only to God, the mark of this local church. Yet this church has not been alone, it has been an integral part of the ongoing church of jesus Christ, which exists through ages, in all denominations, and in all lands and whose power has resided not in its pastors or lay members, but by God's grace in the power of God. It was on July 24, 1794, according to early church records, that a small group of dedicated Christians met at the home of William Shepherd in Panton for the purpose of worshipping GoD as they felt they ought. From the minutes of the first meeting is qouted: "This day met at the house of William Shepherd in Panton. Opened the meeting by singing and prayer the read the covenant and found them agreeable to each of our minds and the Scriptures of Truth and entered into special covenant then proceeded and choose Sherman Babcock moderator for the church and Elijah Grandey as church clerk and appointed our church meetings on the first Sabbath of each month." Thus was the beginning of the orgization of the "First Baptist church" located in the little hamlet of Panton Corners. One of the oriiginal ten members, Elder Henry Chamberlain, acted as their first pastor and was ordained four years later. After due examination, he was "set apart to the work of the ministry", and received a salary of $60.00 a year. Each month found more and more members taken into the church. At first it was voted to receive any member from other churches of the same faith without a lettr of recommendation from the church to which they belonged. However, a few years later that vote was changed to "Hereafter hence any members from other churches of the same faith and order would not be taken in without a letter of recommendation." MOVING FORWARD 1800-1830 In the ealy 1800's many people were baptized and "gained fellowship in the church". A policy that was adopted at that time was "Gospel Baptism is to be administered by an ordained minister to such only as give evidence of true faith by immerision in the water in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost". Voted that the church consider it their duty to read the covenant to every person who may propose joining. From time to time some members were dismissed for some of the following reasons:
> laboring on the Sabbath in his harvest
> selling a bar of iron that he found in the highway without giving any notice that he had found it
> wandering and straying from God
> guilty of the crime of purgery
> use of unchristian language
> bargaining with a Brother for himself and boy each day's work for twenty pounds of flour
> railing on the church
> taking up stary hogs and falling and sellig them
> card palying
> wandering far from the covenant made with God and the church
> not attending church meetings Always some member was appointed to visit this person and "first and second labors were taken with each one, as the Gospel Rule directs...". After discussion with the church members, a decision was made -- some were withdrawn from the right hand of fellowship of the church while others were forgiven and restored to the fellowship. In 1805 it was voted that communion be served every third Sabbath in each month and a preparatory would be held every Saturday before communion. "Voted that there be fifteen dollars paid by assessment on the church for the purpose of purchasing two gallons of wine for communion and a vessel to hold the same and sacremental vessels." Ten years later it was voted that the ordinance of the Lord's Supper was to be administered to none out of the visible church, unbaptized persons or disorderly members not to be admitted. "In this sacrement, by receiving bread and wine administered by a reguar minister of the Gospel, we share our union and communion with Christ, and one with another". The communion set purchased in those early years is now on display in the sanctuary. It was recorded at that time that a "committee made manifest to the church that they had bought fifteen acres of land for $225.00... and voted to have the land deeded to Elder babcock(the pastor) and that each member would pay an equality for the same". ************* In my research, I have noted that: Rev. Henry Chamberlain Jr. born 1747? Plymouth, MA. and died in Shorham, Addision Co, VT. May 14, 1828 was the father-in-law of Elisha Grandrey by marriage to Abigail Chamberlain born 1783-1853(1 of 13 children). The rest of the booklet cotains Historial notes going forward and poems and passages. Of special note: Jim Cook is still the current pastor(since 1991) and I have been in contact with both him and Mrs. Lois Thurber. I am hoping to be able someday to view some of the original documents, to see if there is any further mention of Sherman Babcock via Births, Baptisms, Marriages that he may have been a party to. -Russell Babcock (2003)
Town of Fort Ann ---------------------------- Fort Ann is one of those historic towns of Washington County whose soil was the theatre of human strife when the "Old French War" disturbed this region, and again when Burgoyne's devastating invasion swept from Whitehall to Fort Edward. The history of all the military operations, which occurred in this tract, have already been chronicled in the general history of the county, in our earlier pages, and here we trace the civil growth of the community. This town derives its name from the old fort built here in the early days and named after Queen Anne, the then reigning sovereign of England. The fortification known as Fort Ann was erected in 1757, at the junction of Halfway Creek and Wood Creek, and was constructed on the stockade plan. The battle of July 8, 1777, occurred about a mile to the northeast. Upon the retreat of the Americans the fort was burned. The present village of Fort Ann includes the place where the fort stood. Another fort, known as the Mud Fort, was built in 1769. It consisted merely of earthworks, and was abandoned shortly after it was constructed. Besides the great military road from Fort Edward to Lake Champlain, another road was built from Queensbury to Fort Ann, during the later French wars, and a trail led from the latter place to the head of South Bay. Fort Ann lies on the west side of the county, toward the northern part, and is the largest town in the county, containing 56,386 acres. It is bounded on the north by Dresden, Whitehall and Lake George; on the east by Dresden, Whitehall and Granville; on the south by Hartford and Kingsbury, and on the west by Warren county and Lake George. The southern part of the town is rolling land, but the remainder is mountainous. Three ranges of hills traverse its surface and between them lie two fertile valleys. On the eastern side of the town is the range of hills known as the Fort Ann mountains. They begin near the Wood Creek valley, and run in a northerly direction to the head of South Bay; thence along the southeast shore of this bay to its junction with Lake Champlain. Prominent peaks in this range are Battle Hill, Pinnacle, Ore Bed and Saddle Mountains. All of these are rocky and precipitous. On this range is a large pond which lies one thousand feet above sea level. The Putnam Mountains traverse the central part of the town. This range rises just east of Fort Ann and runs north into Dresden. The principal peaks of this range are Mount Nebo, Peaked Mountain, Mount Hope and High Knob. Between this range and Fort Ann lies the beautiful valley of Welch Hollow, formerly known as Turtle Hollow. The Palmertown Mountains run along the west side of the town and the eastern shore of Lake George. Sugar Loaf Mountain, on the line of Queensbury, and Buck Mountain, on the north, are the principal peaks. The latter is the hightest peak in the town, rising to an altitude 2,500 feet. Diameter Precipice, on the north shore of South Bay, runs up to 1,300 feet, and is a rocky, almost perpendicular, precipice. Several ponds, of various sizes, are scattered over the western part of the town. These are Ore Bed, Sly, Haddock, Copeland, Trout, Forge, Lake, Bacon, Round, Crossets, Thunder, Little and Three ponds. The principal streams in the town are Furnace Hollow Creek, Podunk Brook, Halfway Creek and Wood Creek. Kane's Falls are on Wood Creek, about a mile north of Fort Ann. The fall is about seventy feet in a distance of one hundred and fifty yards. These falls were named after Charles KANE, who secured this water power for a mill site in the early days. Iron ore is found in this town, and a large bed lies at the foot of Mount Nebo. This mine was worked from the year 1825 up to about 1877. Of late years iron mining has not promised a profit here, owing to the low price at which ore is lade down at manufacturing centers. The territory of Fort Ann embraces all of the "Artillery Patent," which was granted to Joseph WALTON and twenty-three other officers of the English army, October 24, 1764; this forms the southern part of the town; a part of the Lake George tract, lying in the western part; a portion of the Saddle Mountain tract, in the northeast, and the Westfield, Fort Ann and Ore Bed tract, in the central part of the town. In 1775, two families--the HARRISONS and BRAYTONS--settled in the town of Fort Ann, and these were the only permanent settlers in the town prior to Burgoyne's raid, so far as there are authentic records. It is true that Major SKENE had erected mills at Kane's Falls prior to the Revolution, but he was simply represented there by an agent, who could not be considered a permanent settler. As a matter of fact he did not become one. In the winter of 1781 Joseph HENEGAN, Isaiah BENNETT, Hope WASHBURN, Ozias COLEMAN, John WARD, Joseph BACON, George SCRANTON, Caleb NOBLE, Josiah WELCH, Samuel WARD, and Samuel HURLBURT, had settled on the "Artillery Patent." In 1784 we find the following settlers had joined the young community in this town: Silas TRACEY, Elijah BACKUS, Andrew STEVENSON, Joseph KELLOGG and James SLOAN. In 1785 came Mead HARVEY, Nathaniel OSGOOD and Zephaniah KINGSLEY; and the following year Silas CHILD, Alpheus SPENCER, Samuel WILSON, Elijah BILLS, Israel BROWN and Samuel CHAPMAN were added. Other prominent early settlers were Benjamin COPELAND, Anthony HASKINS, Samuel WINEGAR, Thaddeus DEWEY, George WRAY, Daniel COMSTOCK, and Prentiss BROWN. In 1791 Ephraim GRISWOLD came into the town, looking for water power, and bought a large tract of land in the southwest corner of the town, and in that year, or the following one, he erected a gristmill. Some time afterwards this mill was moved farther down stream, and in a few years he built a forge for the manufacture of chains and anchors, which was operated by Elisha M. FORBES, his son-in-law. This was the nucleus of the present Griswold's Mills. A postoffice was established here in 1833, and Elisha M. FORBES was the first postmaster. About the close of the Revolutionary War Jacob VAN WORMER settled on the site of West Fort Ann, and built the first sawmill on Podunk Brook. In 1815 a gristmill was built by Stephen PALMER, which was burned down. In 1827, Mix, Haskins & Spalding erected a forge and anchor shop, which was continued in operation for a long time. A tannery was built by Warren KINGSLEY in 1843. The settlement increased to a village, at first called Van Wormer's Village, but now West Fort Ann. Fort Ann abounded in quaint names in the early days. The western part of the town was called "Hogtown," because the farmers turned their hogs into the woods to feed on acorns and nuts. Johnnycake Corners is said to have received its name from the fact that the first mill ground little, if any, grain but corn. The southern part of Furnace Hollow was called "Podunk," from a tribe of Indians who came from the east and settled beside the ponds. Fort Ann was formed, as the town of Westfield, March 23, 1786, and at that time included Putnam, Dresden and Hartford, as well as its present territory. Hartford was set off in 1793, and Putnam and Dresden, as one town, in 1806. In 1808 the name of Westfield was changed to Fort Ann, in memory of the old fort at the village. The first town meeting was held January 22, 1781, at the house of John WARD, in the "Artillery Patent," and the first town officers were there elected, Isaiah BENNETT being the first supervisor, and also the first town clerk. In 1784 another meeting was held and Ozias COLEMAN was elected supervisor, while Isaiah BENNETT was re-elected town clerk. In 1785 Medad HARVEY was chosen supervisor and Isaiah BENNETT again was made town clerk. On April 4, 1786, the first regular town meeting was held, and following are the names of the supervisors and town clerks from that time down to the year 1900:
Supervisors--1786, Stephen SPENCER and Silas CHILD; 1787-1792, George WRAY; 1793, Daniel MASON; 1794-95, George WRAY; 1796, Ralph COFFIN; 1797, Charles KANE; 1798, George WRAY; 1799, Charles KANE; 1800, George WRAY; 1801-05, Isaac SARGENT; 1806-10, Zephaniah KINGSLEY; 1811, Reuben BAKER; 1812-17, Zephaniah KINGSLEY; 1818-24, Lemuel HASTINGS; 1825-26, William A. MOORE; 1827-29, Henry THORN; 1830-31, Benjamin COPELAND; 1832-37, Salmon AXTELL; 1838, William BAKER; 1839-40, Eben BROUGHTON; 1841-42, James RICE; 1843, James FARR; 1844, George CLEMENTS; 1845, Eben BROUGHTON; 1846, John HILLEBERT; 1847, Robert HOPKINS; 1848, Salmon AXTELL; 1849, Samuel CORNING; 1850, Israel THOMPSON; 1851-52, John H. THOMPSON; 1853, William WELLER; 1854, John M. BARNETT; 1855, Isaac CLEMENTS; 1856, Hosea B. FARR; 1857, William S. GARDNER; 1858, Hosea B. FARR; 1859-60, Alanson B. AXTELL; 1861, A.H. WHEELER and Willis SWIFT; 1862-65, Alanson B. AXTELL; 1866-67, William E. BROWN; 1868-69, Alanson B. AXTELL; 1870-71, Lyman HALL; 1872-73, Orson W. SHELDON; 1874-75, John C. PATTERSON; 1876, H.G. SARGENT; 1877-79, Orson W. SHELDON; 1880-81, J.H. GARMON; 1882-83, Albert JOHNSON; 1884-86, John HALL; 1887, Orson W. SHELDON; 1888, Albert JOHNSON; 1889-90, Morris L. ROBINSON; 1891, Martin H. ADAMS; 1892-93, John H. BENTON; 1894-96, Albert JOHNSON; 1897-98, M.W. WOODRUFF; 1899-1900, C.F. GOODMAN.
Town Clerks--1786, Isaiah BENNETT; 1787-88, George WRAY; 1789-90, Nathaniel BULL; 1791-92, George WRAY; 1793, Asahel HODGE; 1794-97, Charles KANE; 1798, Isaac SARGENT; 1799, Leonard GIBBS; 1800-11, Lemuel HASTINGS; 1812-16, Henry THORN; 1817, Lemuel HASTINGS; 1818-29, Joseph M. BULL; 1830-32, Erastus D. CULVER; 1833-35, John SARGENT; 1836-38, John SARGENT, Jr.; 1839, Albert L. BAKER; 1840, Isaac CLEMENTS; 1841, Leander N. BURNELL; 1842-43, John T. COX; 1844-46, Horatio G. SHUMWAY; 1847, Reuben BAKER; 1848-52, Pelatiah JAKWAY; 1853, George S. BROUGHTON; 1854, Elijah STEVENS; 1855-56, George W. MILLER; 1857, Henry THORN; 1858, Lyman W. DAVIS; 1859, Leonard CORNING; 1860, William E. BROWN; 1861, Leonard CORNING; 1862, James F. THOMPSON; 1863-65, William E. BROWN; 1866, Orson W. SHELDON; 1867, William H. PIERSONS; 1868, Low WASHBOURNE; 1869-71, Horatio W. BROWN; 1872-73, Edward CORNING; 1874, James E. SKINNER; 1875, Edward CORNING; 1876, Patrick GILL; 1877-78, A.H. FARRINGTON; 1879-80, William Pitt MOORE; 1881-89, Stephen C. GIBBS; 1890-93, Leonard CORNING; 1894-1900, Clark E. WOODARD.
It is interesting to note the change in franchise which has taken place since the close of the eighteenth century, and the records of the town of Fort Ann furnish material for such comparison. In 1795 Ozias COLEMAN and James SLOAN took a census to ascertain the number of electors in the town, and also to establish what electors could vote for senators and assemblymen. At that time electors qualified to vote for senators had to be possessed of a freehold to the value of 100 pounds, and to vote for assemblymen the elector must have a freehold of the value of 20 pounds, or a rented property paying annually therefor the value of forty shillings. Fort Ann Village was incorporated by an act of the legislature March 7, 1820, and its boundaries have been enlarged twice since that date. The first charter election was held at the schoolhouse, May 9, 1820, and thereat the following officers were chosen: William A. MOORE, president; Lemuel HASTINGS, Henry THORN, George CLARK and John ROOT, trustees, in conjunction with the president; Amos T. BUSH, treasurer. Follwing is the complete list of the presidents of the village from that date down to 1900:
Presidents--1820-22, William A. MOORE; 1823-24, Ethan A FAY; 1825-26, Joseph M. BULL; 1827-28, Lemuel HASTINGS; 1829, William A. MOORE; 1830, George CLARK; 1831-32, Matthias A. PIKE; 1833, Moses MILLER; 1834, Matthias A. PIKE; 1835-36, George CLARK; 1837, Moses MILLER; 1838, George CLEMENTS; 1839, George CLARK; 1840-41, John T. COX; 1842, Abial W. HOWARD; 1843, William A. MOORE; 1844-54, Abial W. HOWARD; 1855-60, F.L. BRAYTON; 1861-62, Willis SWIFT; 1863, Charles H. ADAMS; 1864, Willis SWIFT; 1865-66, F.L. BRAYTON; 1867, G.W. HULL; 1868-70, George P. MOORE; 1871, John HALL; 1872, Willis SWIFT; 1873, Periam SHELDON; 1874, Pelatiah JAKWAY; 1875, David RICE; 1876, Pelatiah JAKWAY; 1877, Orville W. SHELDON; 1878-79, Eli SKINNER; 1880, D.M. EMPEY; 1881, Pelatiah JAKWAY; 1882, Silas P. PIKE; 1883-84, James GANNON; 1885-86, O.W. SHELDON; 1887-88, H.C. CLEMENTS; 1889-90, Hiram SHIPMAN; 1891-94, Isaac J. FINCH; 1895-96, Leonard CORNING; 1897, Edgar WALL, Jr.; 1898, Charles A. MCGHEL; 1899-1900, John MAIN.
The village of Fort Ann has a depot on the Delaware & Hudson Railroad; the Champlain Canal passes through it, and a daily stage connects it to Glens Falls. The postoffice was established in 1800, and George CLARK was the first postmaster. The business carried on is mostly commercial, but there is a knitting and woolen mill conducted by Edgar WALL. The village has three churches, Baptist, Methodist and Catholic. The Baptist Church was organized June 22, 1822, but had no regular pastor until 1824, when Rev. Bradbury CLAY was installed. The congregation at first worshiped in the village school, but soon joined with the Methodists and Universalists in building a union church building, which they purchased in 1836. In 1874 they completed their present church building. Rev. J.W. DAVIS is the present pastor. The Methodist Episcopal Church of Fort Ann was organized about the same time as the Baptist Church, and in 1826 aided in building the union church. In 1837 they began a church of their own, which was completed in 1838. Rev. Mr. GREGG is the present pastor. The Catholic Church at Fort Ann is in the Kingsbury parish, and Rev. J.J. O'BRIEN of Sandy Hill is the pastor. Comstocks, a depot on the Delaware & Hudson Railroad, is in this town, and is notable as being the home of Hon. I.V. BAKER. South Bay, Kane's Falls and West Fort Ann, are other notable places in the town.
The First Baptist Church of Fort Ann was organized in 1789, and the Rev. Sherman BABCOCK was the first pastor, joining his flock in 1790. In 1807 they built their first house of worship. In 1810 a new church building was commenced, but not finished until 1844. In 1858 the church edifice at Comstock's Landing was completed, which has since been the place of worship. The Second Baptist Church of Fort Ann was organized in 1810 and may be said to have been an outgrowth of the First church. In 1868 they erected their house of worship at South Bay. From: "Washington County, New York, Its History to the Close of the Nineteenth Century" by William L. Stone, 1901.
More About Sherman Babcock and Delecta "Electra" Rich: Marriage: 1789, Westfield, NY.
Children of Sherman Babcock and Delecta "Electra" Rich are:
+Thomas Babcock, b. Abt. 1789, Westfield, Washington Co., NY, d. date unknown.
+Young "Youngs" Babcock, b. Abt. 1792, Westfield, Washington Co., NY, d. February 1850, Posey Twp., Harrison Co., IN.
+Barnabus "Barnes" Babcock, b. February 24, 1794, Panton Twp., Addison Co., VT, d. May 05, 1869, Muskego Twp., Waukesha Co., WI.
+Amanda Babcock, b. May 20, 1799, Plattsburg, NY, d. May 25, 1883, Oregon, WI.