|Our BAINE ancestors came from Devon, England, then through to Kildare, Ireland, before settling near Cairo, Illinois, and our branch finally making their way down to Jacksonville, Florida.
The WILSON family came from Statesboro, Georgia, where they had been since after the American Revolution.
Our TURNER family came originally from North Carolina, but moved to Kansas City, Kansas, before making their way to Georgia.
The DOWNING ancestors were of mixed Cherokee Indian and English descent. They were from Southern Georgia, and married into the Henderson clan of Pearson, Georgia.
Also included are other families we are descended from:
Adamson, Burke, Decker, Greenberry, Hay, Haas, Howard, Lee, Mattock, Polk, Skinner, Weiskopf, Wilson, and numerous others, as well as many European royal lines from the 1500's and back.
Bellingham, Bishop, Bowchein, Bricknell, Chase, Clarke, Downing, Enderley, Fellebrigge, Focell, Guest, Hanford, Hatherly, Henderson, Hunter, Jelliman, Kight, Knapp, McKinnon, O'Steen, Philbrick, Porter, Reade, Robinson, Smith, Stafford, Tilton, Turner, Weeks, White, and others.
Interesting characters in our ancestry include:
1. Colonel Richard Lee, the Emigrant (1610-1664)- Patriarch of the Lees of Virginia.
2. Rev. John Robinson, M.A., the famed "Apostle of Leyden" (1575-1624) - Pastor of the Pilgrims in Holland, and spiritual leader of them when they came to Plymouth.
3. Colonel Nicholas Greenberry (1627-1697)-Royal Governor of Maryland in the 1690's. Early settler of Maryland.
4. King Henry VII (1456-1509)- King of England from 1485-1509; founder of the Tudor Dynasty. Ended the Wars of the Roses.
5. King William I "the Conqueror" (1027-1087)- Norman noble who conquerored England from his cousin, King Harold. Founded the modern English monarchy as we now know it.
These are but a very few of the many interesting characters we are descended from. Listed below are a few interesting people we are related to:
1. General Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)-Cousin; Commander of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia during the American Civil War.
2. James Knox Polk (1795-1849)- Cousin; Eleventh President of the United States, Governor of Tennessee, and Speaker of the House of Representatives.
3. Millard Fillmore (1800-1874)- Cousin; Thirteenth President of the United States.
4. Salmon Portland Chase (1808-1873)- Cousin; Abraham Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, United States Senator, Governor of Ohio, and lawyer.
5. Lewis Cass (1782-1866)- Cousin; United States Senator; Governor of Michigan.
Again, these are but a few of the many interesting persons we are related to.
"Write it before them in a tablet, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come." -the Bible
|The Baine Family Page
Updated September 5, 2000
Thomas William Baine, V
124 Essex Avenue
Atlanta, Georgia 30339-3734
Edit Your Page
The content shown on this page has been submitted by a Genealogy.com customer, and is not subject to verification by Genealogy.com. Neither Genealogy.com nor its affiliates are responsible for the accuracy of any information contained on this page. The opinions expressed on this page are the author's alone and not the opinions of Genealogy.com.
|© 2009 Ancestry.com|