1. WILLIAM1 HUNCOTE was born Abt. 1600 in England.
Notes for WILLIAM HUNCOTE:
1. According to the book titled "Lists of Emigrants to America (1600-1700)", Edited by John Camden Hotten, Baltimore Genealogical Publishing Co, 1962; "Our Early Emigrant Ancestors - The Original Lists", Pages 110-114:
24 July 1635
Thesis underwritten names are to be transported to Virginia, imbarqued in the Assurance, de Lo:, ISAAC BROMWELL and GEO. PEWSIE, Mr. [stands for Masters--DLB], examined by the Minister of the Town of Gravesend, of their conformitie in religion, the men have taken the oaths of allegiance and supremacie.
Wm Huncote appears on the list on page 113 of this book as age 35.
2. Taken from a book called "The original list of Persons of Quality....1600 - 1700" edited by John Camden Hutten and published by Empire State Book Company, NY.:
William HUNCOTE was born in 1600 in England. He emigrated on 24 Jul 1635 from London, England. He died in Surrey County, VA. He was English. On July 24, 1635, William Huncote, age 35, set sail on the ship "Assurance" from the port of London, England to Virginia. He is listed on the passenger list of the "Assurance" as Wm. Huncote. There were no other names on the list that may have been his wife or children. He had taken the oaths of Allegeance and Supremacie" to England, a requirement of those going to the new colony. The male passengers had been examined by the Minister of the Towne of Gravesend of their conformities in Religion. William made his home in Surry County, Virginia.
3. At some point William anglicized his name to Hunnicutt. Maybe that was the way others thought it was spelled. It is interesting to note that many writers of the 17th century often put double letters on the ends of some words such as "warr" or "likewise" and "cutt". If this had anything to do with the spelling of Hunnicutt or not, I don't know, but it is an interesting observation.
4. Probable son of William Huncote is Austin (probably short for Augustine) Hunicut that appears on the 1668 Surry County, Virginia Census of Tithables.
Child of WILLIAM HUNCOTE is: