Family Tree Maker Online
Navigation Bar

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]

Ancestors of Walter Thomas Clark

Generation No. 4

      8. Hezekiah Clark15, born 19 October 1752 in Stratford, CT; died Unknown in Argenteuil Co, Que., Canada,. He was the son of 16. David Clark and 17. Abigail Peck. He married 9. Abigail Hutchins Abt. 1783 in near LaChute, Que., Canada.

      9. Abigail Hutchins16, born Bef. 1770 in Kempville, Ont., Canada; died Aft. 1808. She was the daughter of 18. Capt. Phineas Hutchins and 19. Abigail Reed.

Notes for Hezekiah Clark:
11 July 1775 Hezekiah enlisted in New Milford, CT 7th Co., 7th Reg. CT under Col. Charles Webb,; Capt Issac Bostwick.
      He was ordered to Boston 9/1775 and assigned to Gen. Sullivan's Brigade in the siege of Boston on Winter Hill, the left flank. The Reg. was reorganized 1/1/1776 Also under Webb and remained in Boston until the siege was lifted with the evacuation of the British troops by ship in March, 1776. Subsequently, the Reg. was transported by ship via New London, CT to New York to aid in the defense thereof. Gen. George Washington was the commanding officer of this campaign. Although his unit was in the Brooklyn front after 8/27 it was not engaged during the Battle of Long Island. The unit was engaged in the Battle of White Plains however, "loosely."
      By December after the debacle of the defense of New York and the retreat through New Jersey and Pennsylvania, Hezekiah participated in the surprise raid across the Delaware River on Christmas eve to fight the Battle of Trenton, an American victory as well as the Battle of Princeton, Jan. 3. His term of service (6 months) was extended 6 weeks at the request of Commandant Washington. About ten weeks later, May 13, Hezekiah reenlisted in Capt. Blackman's Co. under Lieut. Colonel Meigs. He was stationed in Peekskill NY. He served under Major. General Israel Putnam (of Bunker Hill fame)along the Hudson. During the summer he was at White Plains but winter quarter's was Reading, CT (now called Putnam Park).
      Next year he was made sergeant in 1779 and was a volunteer for the attack on Stoney Point July 16, 1779. This assault was led personally by "Mad" Anthony Wayne. Hezekiah related to his children the pride he had in following Wayne over the breastworks of Stoney Point.
      The Reg. was disbanded May 1, 1780 but by two months later he had reenlisted as a private of the "Short Leaves" under Col. Herman Swift and while in winter quarters on the Hudson was discharge Christmas Day 1780.
      -- From "The History of the Clark Family WA Clark Ed., 1910

History of Argenteuil"
P. 195-199:<BR>
"While we are told that, in 1796, a man named Hezekiah Clark came from Jericho, Vermont, with his family, and planted the first cabin here, the antecedents of Mr. Clark, and his motive in coming so far into the wilderness, are left as matters only for speculation. ...The most probable reason that we can assign for the course he pursued is, that he calculated the chances for getting to market, and found that, compared with other places, they were decidedly in favour of LaChute. ... But whatever were the inducements, the fact that he came is unquestioned, and we can judge only from the fact, that he was a man of superior energy, great endurance and courage, and was skilled in woodcraft. Without these qualities he never would have come, nor could he have maintained his family, while surmounting the difficulties frequently intruding.

His family, consisting of his wife, three sons and two daughters, came through the woods with an Indian sled from St Andrews, not even a cow-path, at that time, leading to the place of his future home. No house, not even a bark shanty was there to receive them, and the first night was passed beneath the shelter of a few branches of trees hastily gathered. The next day, with that tact and energy characteristic of a woodsman, Mr Clark constructed a hut, or wigwam, which answered the purpose of a domicile, till opportunity was given to erect a better one. Tradition claims, as the site of this habitation, a spot near the<BR>
present LaChute mills....
But what of the Sabbath? Could there be any moral growth in this isolated spot, far removed from church and the sound of church-going bell? Ah! Yes, the Sabbath! But perhaps they attended church. Seven miles only, intervened between this and St Andrews, and women, as well as men, often performed longer journeys on foot, even though the labours of the previous week inclined them on the Sabbath to take a needful rest. Who can doubt that people of moral habits, distant from every scene of vice and wickedness, in communion with the fairest scenes of nature, should "be led through nature up to nature's God?" ...

Hezekiah Clark has no descendants in this part of the country, but report says that they are an intelligent and reputable class who occupy responsible positions in distant places. [indeed-M A-R]

According to a brief History of Lachute referred to above, [what is this??] which was compiled by Mr. John Meikle, sen., "Mr. Clark remained the sole inhabitant of Lachute for two years, when he was joined by six more families from the same place." But a sketch of Lachute, by F.C. Ireland, published in The Watchman of 3rd September, 1886, mentions but one family which came within two years after the arrival of Clark.
He says: "The next pioneer was also one of the hardy sons of Vermont, who came about two years later, or in 1798. His name is familiar to most of the residents of LaChute today.
John S. Hutchins had married Miss Cutter, in their native State, and migrated to Canada, to join hands as neighbors with the Clarks at Lachute. They endured all the hardships, privations and vicissitudes incident to such a journey and such a life. ..."

There are none, probably, who will deny, that the above tribute to the Hutchins family is well deserved. Two brothers, John S. And Phineas Hutchins, seem to have settled in Lachute about the same time. The former located on a lot now owned by David McFarlane; the latter on one owned by Mr. McGregor. Both have transmitted to us the reputation of being energetic, intelligent, Christian men, with a strong desire to encourage whatever promised to enhance the physical, social, and moral progress of their adopted country.
      John S. Hutchins had learned the printer's trade in Boston, and on first coming to Canada, he engaged as compositor in the office of ‘The Courant', in Montreal. He soon began writing articles for that journal, and for some time was a regular contributor to its columns. After coming to Lachute, he took an interest in religious work, and it was through his efforts that the Rev. Mr. Osgoode, mentioned on another page, came here and organized a Sabbath School. He was a member of the Methodist Church, and his house was always a home for the ministers who, from time to time, visited the place. For many years he was Clerk of the Circuit Court which held its sessions here.
      In 1801, his wife died, and it being the first time dearth had visited the new settlement, we can well imagine the gloom his advent created. Mr Hutchins had one son at this time, whose name was Osman. He married, and after living some years at Hawkesbury, Ontario, moved West.
      His father also married again, and by this marriage had three sons and five daughters: Hawley, Phineas, and Benjamin; Eliza, Maria, Catherine, Matilda, and Mary Ann. Of the latter, Eliza was married to Milo Lane, Maria to Geo. Glines, Catherine to Lemuel Cushing, and Mary Ann to Geo. Holland. Matilda, who never married, died a few years since in Montreal. Mrs. Cushing and Mrs. Holland, both widows, reside in that city.
      Hawley R. Hutchins, the eldest son by the second marriage, married 15th October, 1835, Harriet, a daughter of Dr. Rice, of St. Andrews. He engaged in trade a while at Lachute, then at Carillon, and finally was in business in Montreal. He had but one child, which died, and this was followed by the death of his wife; he then went to California, and died there 12th June, 1882, at the age of 62.
      Phineas R., his brother, married Jessie Walker of Lachute, 4th May, 1838. They had eight children, the most of whom, at the present time, are said to be in prosperous circumstances in California. Mr. Hutchins always remained on the homestead and engaged in farming until he moved with his family to the Golden State, where he died 15th January, 1875, aged 75 years.
      Benjamin, the third son of John S. Hutchins, has spent nearly all his life in business in Montreal, where he is much esteemed. He is at present a broker in real estate, having an office in the New York Insurance building. He was but 14 years old when he came to Montreal, and he worked for some time without salary, but he soon made his way upward. He was a Candidate in 1867 for the office of Representative for Argenteuil County in the Dominion Parliament, and was defeated only by a small majority. Mr. Hutchins has been twice married; first, in 1841 or 1842, to Miss Felton, of Sherbrooke; the second time, to Miss Sherwood, daughter of Adiel Sherwood, Sheriff of Brockville, and an U.E. Loyalist.

      John S. Hutchins, the father of the children named above, was born 15th August, 1776, and died 4th May, 1865, at the age of 88.

From a sketch by F.C. Ireland in ‘The Watchman' of 17th September, 1886: " The following is a list of the inhabitants, and the number of children between ages 4 and 21, in Lachute, in 1810, copied from a document found among the papers of J.S.Hutchins: children, 211, male and female...

More About Hezekiah Clark:
Cause of Death: drowned in the Ottowa River
Emigration: Bet. 1780 - 1796, Jericho, Vermont17
Military service: 11 July 1775, CT Militia for Revolutionary War
Children of Hezekiah Clark and Abigail Hutchins are:
  4 i.   Orange Clark, born 20 November 1797 in LaChute Co., Argenteuil, Quebec, Canada; died 4 November 1862 in London Twnp, Ont., Canada; married Anne Warner 17 December 1819 in Lewiston, NY, USA.
  ii.   Hezekiah Clark, born 3 October 1803; died Unknown.
  iii.   Phineas Clark, born Aft. 1804; died Unknown.
  iv.   Abigail Clark, born Unknown; died Unknown; married Ebenezer Grout; born Unknown; died Unknown.
  v.   Amy Clark, born Unknown; died Unknown; married William Perkins; born Unknown; died Unknown.
  vi.   Florinda Clark, born Unknown; died Unknown; married Minkler; born Unknown; died Unknown.
  vii.   Harriet Clark, born Unknown; died Unknown; married Thomas Warren; born Unknown; died Unknown.
  viii.   Mary Clark, born Unknown; died Unknown; married Gates; born Unknown; died Unknown.

      10. Asa Warner, born Bef. 1786; died Bef. 1815 in Ontario, Ca. He married 11. Clarissa Mitchell Bef. 1803.

      11. Clarissa Mitchell, born Bef. 1790; died Unknown.

Notes for Asa Warner:
LDS info
Asa WARNER                  
Christened:       13 Apr 1772 , Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts
Parents:      Father:       Asa WARNER      
Source Information:           
Batch number:       C502101      

More About Asa Warner:
Emigration: Abt. 1790, Hawkesbury, Ont.

  Notes for Clarissa Mitchell:

Children of Asa Warner and Clarissa Mitchell are:
  5 i.   Anne Warner, born 17 July 1803 in St. Andrews, Argenteuil, Quebec, Canada; died 18 July 1894 in London Twnp, Ont., Canada; married Orange Clark 17 December 1819 in Lewiston, NY, USA.
  ii.   William Warner, born Bef. 1803.

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]
Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009