Notes for David Provoost: Documents Relating to the Colonial History of New Jersey Vol XXIV, Pages 500-502
David W. Provoost was a descendant of David Provoost, who came from Holland to New Amsterdam before April 28, 1639. In that year he was granted a lot of land in Pearl street, near Fulton, where he resided for some time. In April, 1642, he was placed in charge of Fort Good Hope, at Hartford, Conn., to resist the aggressions of the English, where he remained until June, 1647, when he returned to New Amsterdam, and taught school for a time. He died in January, 1656. His wife was Grietje Gillis, daughter of Gillis Jansen Verbrugge and Barbara Schut. She was still living July 29, 1701. They had nine children, the second, David, born in Connecticut, and baptized Sept. 31 (sic), 1645. In partnership with Johannis Van Inburgh, of Hackensack, surgeon, David Provoost, of New York City, bought of Peter Johnson, of Hackensack, by deed dated April 7, 1698, half of a tract of 500 acres of land on Hochas brook, where it joins Saddle River--being at or near Paramus or Hohokus, Bergen county. This property appears to have remained in the family many years. David Provoost married July 29, 1668, Tryntje Laurens, from Amsterdam. They had eleven children, among them:
More About David Provoost and Tryntie Laurens Couriers: Marriage: 29 Jul 1668, New Amsterdam.
Children of David Provoost and Tryntie Laurens Couriers are: