Notes for Edward Sharp: 1. "Delaware County, Indiana: It's People, History, & Heritage; The New History of Delaware County"; by Shawn Gray, Pat Mason, Gary McManus, Ethel & Vollie Mohler; 'The Town of Progress', by Erma (Rees) McVicker, pg. 6&7; 1998. "With memories generously shared by David Bartle, Jobey Clevenger, and Nancy (Hale) Manring. "The turn of the Century brought excitement to the citizend of Sharps, a small community located on the Salem/Monroe Township line (South County Road 300 W at 500 S). The Indiana Midland Railroad, later named the Central Indiana, was built in 1899 through Sharps, and the people anticipated great growth and prosperity. The railroad was built to transport coal from Clay County southwest of Indianapolis to Delaware County. It extended from Anderson, Chesterfield, and Daleville eastward through Sharps and into Muncie. The natural gas supply enjoyed by Muncie industry in the 1880's and 1890's was on the wane by 1900. Steel, iron and glass factories turned to inexpensive Indiana coal. Named for a Delaware County pioneer family, Sharps was well established as the name of the community. The Central Indiana Railroad listed the station as Sharps on its schedules, and the post office, established in 1882, was named Sharps. The post office closed in 1901. Many small post offices closed when a rural free delivery system was implemented around 1900. It is interesting to note that Perry Heath, a Salem Township native, was the first assistant postmaster general of the United States (1896) and was instrumental in implementing the rural free delivery system. Located a short distance south of Progress on 300 W was the Tabor Post Office. The site was called Sockum (legend has it that an important prizefight was once held there). In the 1880's a store kept by Lory Snell, who was also the postmaster, and a wagon and blacksmith shop owned by John Modlin were also located there. The first William Sharp was an original land entrant in "Delaware County. His son, Edward (1801-1854) entered land in Salem Township November 15, 1831. Edward and wife Anna are buaried in Sharp Cemetery. The third generation William SHARP (1829-1923) ownead 300 acres in Salem and Monroe Townships, and the community was probably named for him. William was known as a breeder of fine horses and good live stock. Among William's heirs was his son Edward T. SHARP (1860-1946). Edward's farm of 108 acres was part in Salem township and part in Monroe, divided by County Road 300 W..."
2. "A Portrait and Biographical Record of Delaware Co., Indiana..."; 'RICHARD A. ANDES', page 737; "... January 24, 1850, he married Miss Mary Sharp, a sister of Thompson Sharp, of Washington township, and present county commissioner, and of William Sharp, of Salem township, in whose sketches will be found full details relating to the family of her parents. She bore Mr. Bowers six children, who were born in the following order: Eleanora J., Sanford H., Charlie B. and Oliver P., all deceased; and John G., a liveryman of Muncie, and Joseph F., a successful physician of the same city. "September 13, 1870, Noah Bowers was called from earth. He had long enjoyed the esteem of the entire community, who turned out en masseto attend his funeral, which was perhaps the largest that ever took place in the township. His remains was interred in the Sharp cemetery, and a magnificent monument marks the location of his final resting place. At the time of his death Mr. Bowers was the owner of 600 acres of land, beside much other valuable property -- his administrator selling, that year, hogs alone to the value of $4,000. And let it be remembered that this great wealth was all accumulated through his own unaided industry and economy. His course through life was upright and prudent, and his example is one worthy the emulation of every poor boy in the county, who should strive to so live that he may leave an equally clear record behind him. "In 1875, Mrs. Mary S. Bowers was united in matrimony with Richard A. Andes, whose sketch may be found elsewhere, and whose home and life she is causing to be made as happy as she had made those of Mr. Bowers."
3. From "A Portrait and Biographical Record of Delaware County, Indiana..."1894, page 755: "William Sharp", biography; (sketch includes a picture of Wm. Sharp and Mrs. Wm. Sharp).
"WILLIAM SHARP, a representative of one of the pioneer families of Delaware county and a gentleman who has been identified for many years in the farming and horse raising interests of the county, was born in Henry county, Ind., April 6, 1829, a son of Edward and Anna (Thompson) Sharp. Edward Sharp was born in 1801 and Mrs. Sharp in 1804, being of German and English ancestry, respectively. They immigrated to Delaware county, Ind., in the spring of 1832, and Mr. Sharp died here in a854. His wife survived until 1878, and both lie buried in the Sharp cemetery.
4. From "A Portrait and Biographical Record of Delaware County, Indiana..."1894, page 755: "William Sharp", biography; (sketch includes a picture of Wm. Sharp and Mrs. Wm. Sharp).
"WILLIAM SHARP, a representative of one of the pioneer families of Delaware county and a gentleman who has been identified for many years in the farming and horse raising interests of the county, was born in Henry county, Ind., April 6, 1829, a son of Edward and Anna (Thompson) Sharp. Edward Sharp was born in 1801 and Mrs. Sharp in 1804, being of German and English ancestry, respectively. They immigrated to Delaware county, Ind., in the spring of 1832, and Mr. Sharp died here in 1854. His wife survived until 1878, and both lie buried in the Sharp cemetery.
5. "A Portrait and Biographical Record of Delaware County, Indiana, containing biographical sketches of many Prominent and Representative Citizens,..." pages 623-624. "JESSE W. MCKIMMEY, a native of Indiana, was born in Salem Township, Delaware county, and was the son of James and Susanah (Adamson) McKimmey, parents native of North Carolina and Indiana respectively. Mr. McKimmey was reared a farmer, and spent the greater part of his life within the boundary of his native county, and always followed agriculture as his occupation. He was married, in 1860, to Lucinda Clevenger, daughter of Samuel and Margaret Clevenger, who bore him four children, namely: Sanford L., Elnora A., wife of John Lowe; James O., died in infancy, and Charles B., also deceased. Mrs. McKimmey dying, Mr. McKimmey, two years later, was united in marriage to Rebecca (Sharp) Bowers, daughter of Edward and Anna Sharp, a union blessed with the birth of three children, namely: Infant, deceased August, 1877, March M. and Erie E. Mrs. McKimmey, who had previously been married to Jacob Bowers, was one of the family of fourteen children, whose names are as follows: Nancy, wife of Benj. Sourwine; Thompson, William, Mary, wife of Noah Bowers; Amanda, wife of Rev. Mr. Quick; Minerva, deceased; George, deceased; infant, deceased; John, Martha, wife of Ira Kidwell; Loretta J., wife of Solomon Skinner - she died March 7, 1888; Joseph P., died March 1890, and Sophia C., wife of Rev. W. R. Lowe. Mrs. McKimmey is the ninth in order of birth.
6. From "A Portrait and Biographical Record of Delaware County, Indiana...", 1894, page 806-807:(sketch includes a picture of "Thos. Sharp").
"THOMPSON SHARP, a prominent farmer of Washington township, and one of the leading citizens of Delaware county, is a native of Indiana, born on the 12th day of November, 1827, in the county of Henry. His father, Edward Sharp, was born June 4, 1801, in Tennessee, and the mother, whose maiden name was Anna Thompson, was a native of Virginia, where her birth occurred on the 18th day of January, 1808. Edward Sharp, in an early day, accompanied his father to Ohio, w(h)ere he remained for a few years, and then came further west, locating, in 1820, in Henry county, Ind. Subsequently he purchased a farm in Salem township, Delaware county, where, ion time, he became the possessor of a large tract of real estate, owning at the time of his death in 1855, 640 acres, the result of his own energy and thrift. In addition to the pursuit of agriculture, he dealt, quite extensively, for a number of years, in live stock, purchasing in various parts of Indiana and driving to Cincinnati, making of this a very profitable business. He was recognized as one of the leading citizens of the community in which he resided; was a prominent member of the Christian church, and exerted a wholesome moral influence upon all with whom he had business or other relations. His wife, a most estimable Christian lady, and a member of the Protestant Methodist church, departed this life in 1862, and was laid to rest by the side of her husband in the Sharp cemetery, in the township of Salem.
More About Edward Sharp: Burial: March 1854, Sharp Cemetary, Delaware, Indiana . Census: 1850, Delaware Co., Indiana. Emigration 1: 1813, Tennessee to Ohio. Emigration 2: 1820, Ohio to Henry County, Indiana. Occupation: Bet. 1832 - 1850, Farmer, buyer and seller of live stock. Property: Abt. 1830, 640 acres in Salem Twp., Delaware Co., Indiana. Religion: Christian Church, Delaware Co., Indiana. Residence 1: Abt. 1818, Tennessee to Ohio to Indiana. Residence 2: 1820, Henry Co., Indiana. Residence 3: November 15, 1831, Section 22 of Salem Twp.,Delaware Co., Indiana.
More About Edward Sharp and Anna D. Thompson: Marriage: 1826, Henry Co.,Indiana.
Children of Edward Sharp and Anna D. Thompson are:
+Thompson Sharp, b. November 12, 1827, Henry Co., Indiana, d. January 11, 1910, Gaston, Delaware, Indiana.