Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals |InterneTree |Sources

View Tree for Romeo Santos FloraRomeo Santos Flora (b. January 19, 1934)

Picture of Romeo Santos Flora
Romy Flora, Christmas 2003

Romeo Santos Flora was born January 19, 1934 in The Philippines. He married Julita Tanega on 1959 in Baltimore, Maryland.

 Includes NotesNotes for Romeo Santos Flora:

Romeo was a young boy when the Japanese invaded the Philippines in 1941. His uncle was the mayor of Polillo, in the province of Rizal. The Flora family lived behind a defensive line that the Japanese were building, and were sought by the Japanese. The family fled backward over the mountains where they stayed three months. As they moved along, they would work small farms, and live on fish, wild game, and vegetables they were able to grow.

The family came to Laguna de Bay, also known as Laguna Lake, which is the largest lake in the Philippines and the second largest freshwater lake in Southeast Asia. They escaped across this lake by renting a sailing boat paid for with Filipino and American money. Crossing to the other side, they reached the American lines at the town of Pasig, the capital of Rizal. This was about ten to fifteen miles from Manila. Pasig was in ruins from the Japanese and American shelling.

American tents had been set up along the shore for refugees to receive free canned food and drinks. The Flora family had to register and get in line to receive food, rice and clothing.

Romeo's mother had an aunt in the area and the Floras found refuge in the basement of her house.

Romeo's father and his oldest brother, who was sixteen, walked to Manila, where they got jobs as workers for the U. S. Port. The father was a dentist, but his ability was such that very soon after his arrival at the port he was made a manager at the United States Depot.

The family moved on to Manila, where they lived in the basement of Romeo's grandfather. From there the children went to school.

After high school graduation, Romy attended the University of Santo Tomas, which is the oldest university in the orient. At the completion of his third year of medical school, Romy volunteered as a medical clerk at the Philippine General Hospital in Manila. It was there he met Julie, who was finishing her second year in a bachelor of science program in nursing.

Romeo began an internship at the Hospital of Santo Tomas, but seeing an opportunity to participate in an exchange program between the Philippines and the United States, he applied for and was accepted as an intern at St. Luke's Hospital in Newburgh, New York.

Romy arrived in the United States on December 27, 1957. After his internship, he looked for a residency in obstetrics and gynecology, and on the recommendation of his former boss, he took a position in the department of obstetrics at St. Francis Hospital in the Bronx, New York, eventually becoming director of this department.

At the end of 1958 Julie came to the United States, planning to be near Romy. She flew to Chicago and took a job at Mercy Hospital there, not realizing how far Chicago was from New York City. She and Romy did not get to see each other for four months.

Julie then moved closer, attending the University of Maryland, at Baltimore, which was four or five hours from New York City. She and Romeo were married in Baltimore in 1959, then took up residence in New York City. Robert was born there.

Romeo completed his residency in 1963, and his boss recommended that he specialize in urology under the guidance of Dr. A. J. Murphy, director of Urology and Executive Director of St. Francis Hospital. Dr. Murphy offered to adopt Romeo so that he could remain in the United States, but Romeo declined the offer.

When Robert was three, the family moved to Burlington, Ontario , Canada. Their second child, Joe, was born in Canada, in 1964.

Romeo's mother in the Philippines suffered a stroke and Romy took the family back to his native land in 1965. There he formed a corporation with another doctor and founded a clinic, beginning with two rooms. They called it St. Patrick's Clinic.

A couple of years later the Floras traveled back to New York City, where friends encouraged them to remain in the United States. There was an opportunity to work in Man, West Virginia, and since the money offered was better than that offered in New York, they moved to this location. By this time time Romeo had passed the Boards and he was ready for private practice. John was born in West Virginia.

Shortly after John's birth, Romeo received a letter requesting him to come to Napoleon, Ohio, to work. He accepted. In Napoleon he was chief of obstetrics for 24 years and was elected Chief of Staff three times. The fourth child, daughter Kara, was born in Napoleon.

Romeo is now (year 2000) senior consultant and partially retired.

More About Romeo Santos Flora and Julita Tanega:
Marriage: 1959, Baltimore, Maryland.

Children of Romeo Santos Flora and Julita Tanega are:
  1. +Renard Joseph Flora, b. February 19, 1964, Burlington, Ontario, Canada.
  2. +Robert Francis Flora, b., New York City, New York.
  3. Regino John Flora, b., Man, West Virginia..
  4. Kara Flora.
Created with Family Tree Maker

Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009