[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]

Descendants of George W. Stover




Generation No. 1


1. GEORGE W.2 STOVER (BENJAMIN1) was born 25 Aug 1826 in Fairfield County, Ohio, and died 17 Apr 1880 in Berlin Twp., Delaware County, Ohio. He married (1) EVY "EVE" FINKBONE 1849 in Ohio, daughter of HENRY FINKBONE and SUSANNAH BORTMESS. She was born 1830 in Fairfield County, Ohio, and died 30 Dec 1850 in Fairfield County, Ohio. He married (2) ELIZABETH GREEN 21 Mar 1853 in Licking County, Ohio, daughter of BENJAMIN GREEN and BARBARY HOUSER. She was born 28 Jan 1830 in Licking County, Ohio, and died 20 Apr 1892 in Berlin Twp., Delaware County, Ohio.

Notes for G
EORGE W. STOVER:
                                                      Baskins 1880 History of Delaware County lists G.W. Stover, a farmer and trader: P.O. Lewis Center. "His father and mother, Benjamin and Sarah Chilcutt Stover, both natives of Hardy County Virginia, moved to Fairfield County Ohio in 1811. Benjamin was a participant in the War of 1812. He moved to Berlin in 1856 according to Baskins. George was born in Fairfield County in 1826, the youngest of a family of five children. George commenced teaching school before he became of age, which he continued, during the winter season, for several years-- in all eighteen terms--working on the farm during the summer . In his 24th year, he married Elizabeth Green, born in Licking County in 1830, daughter of Benjamin and Margaret (Mary) Malone Green. He moved to Berlin Township, Delaware County in 1856, and bought 146 acres of land. October 1872 he began business in Lewis Center, in the grocery and grain trade, being the only grain dealer in the area. He buys and ships about 30,000 bushels annually ; he also carries on his farm and has four children. He is a member of the United Brethren Church and has been prominently associated with that body since its organization in that locality; the church building is located on land he donated. He served the congregation for 27 years as "class leader" and was later licensed "to exhort" by the quarterly conference of the United Brethren Church. He served four churches on a circuit in the township. He was one of the Democratic members of the Board of Infirmary Directors

The Houser Cemetery is located on a small bluff approximately fifteen feet above the stream bed and some fifteen feet back from the edge of the embankment, in Violet Township, Fairfield County, Ohio. Catherine's marker is one of only two stones in their original location. George's with others is leaning against a tree at the north side of the plot.
                                                      A United Brethren Church was built on section 24, Violet Twp. by Peter Houser, Jacob Houser, Jacob Good, and other families. I believe this to be the Houser Chapel, later Trinity Church where G.W. and Elizabeth Stover and their families attended and where they were converted.
                                                      ESTATE of GEORGE H. HOUSER of LIBERTY TOWNSHIP................His will was written October 12, 1841, filed in 1842, and recorded in will book 3, page 124. Executors were his son Abraham and son-in-law, Benjamin Green. Heir by the will was wife, Catherine, oldest son Abraham and his sons John and Absolom, and fourth daughter Lydia. George H. Houser owned land in section 19, Twp. 17, range 19. Jacob Houser bought personal property.                 
                             
                                                                                                            THE HISTORY OF PEACHBLOW CHURCH                                     These facts were found in a memory book owned and written by Mary Ellen Rust, daughter of G. W. Stover: In the year 1856 the district of land, now known as Peachblow, was thickly wooded and had narrow mud roads, rail fences, and scattered log cabins. To this territory, during the same year, in the month of March, George W. Stover and family came from Licking County and purchased sixty acres of land. Their dwelling place was a log cabin which stood on the spot where the house and home of Mr. Paykoff now stands. Mr. Stover having no shelter For his stock, built a barn of logs and the first church services of this community were held on the threshing floor of that crudely constructed barn.

Later, George Stover and other Peachblow pioneers began to wonder where they would bury their beloved dead. So in February 1858 Stover, greatly interested in church work, donated one acre of land for a church and cemetery. He also had timber from the northwest part of his thickly wooded farm and on the thirteenth day of that month, willing hands started the task of construction. The carpenters were Henry Rust, Symen Mason, Gustaves Elesbury, and Gordon Furnace. There were no sawmills in those days, so the used the broad ax for making the timbers. The shingles were made of blocks sawed the length of shingles and made smooth with the drawing knife.
                                                The interior of the church and the seats were painted a peach color. Some, not fancying the color, began calling the church Peachblow and that name, as we all know, has endured down through the years. After the church was completely finished, there were appointments made to which ministers were assigned. These places were Peachblow, North Berlin, Chicahominy, and later on Williamsville and the Climer school house. Most of the young people went to services on horseback except the more fortunate rode in carriages. Back in those years they had no piano or organ to accompany their singing and the United Brethren Hymn Book and another book called the Harp contained no music, just the words of hymns.
           
There has only been one wedding in the church. The bride was the daughter of William Mantor and the groom Simpson Collier. The church was arranged much as it is today with three rows of seats and what was known in those days as the amen corner each side of the pulpit. After the couple entered the church, Mr. Collier came in the West door and Miss Mantor came through the East door. They both proceeded up the aisles to the third seat of the altar where they took their vows.       A few of the early ministers of the church were J.B. Bovey, A.E. Powell, and A.E. Penic. All were students of Otterbein College, Westerville, Ohio. In conclusion, I wish to state a few interesting facts concerning the Peachblow Church. (a) The building was erected for the sum of five hundred and seventy dollars. (b) Our first minister was Rev. S. Kelso. (c) The salary for that year was one hundred and six dollars and forty nine cents. (d) The first quarterly meeting was held September 4, 1858 (e) George Stover was secretary that year. The following are names of ministers who have served this church: Reverends H.A. Locke, B.C. Rife, Lloyd Mignerey, Ralph Vernon, Grover Smith, C.P. Smales, J.R. Bowser, H.V. Harter, W.W. Arnold, O.M. Martin, George Weir, Cornell, Appleton, Clay, Rodeback, and the present pastor Everette Scarberry."                                                                                                In 1963, a basement was dug under the church and a new floor installed in the sanctuary. George Stover would have been proud to know that Bob and Lowell McNett, and Willis Kiser; his great-grandsons, were Trustees of the church. It was still a gathering place for family and friends to worship over 100 years after the first service was held in the church on Peachblow Road. Closed for a short time in 1968, when the United Brethren and Methodist Churches combined into the United Methodist Church, It was soon re- opened to serve the community.
August 27, 2006, a Homecoming celebrating 150 years was held in the church.                                                            October 3, 1864.....G.W. and Elizabeth Stover received from the trustees of the Berlin Chapel of the United Brethren Church , the sum of fifteen dollars, in payment for the land on which Peachblow Church was built. The deed witnessed by Joel Cleveland and Benoni Dickerman.                                                                                          There are records in the Delaware County Recorders office showing that G.W. Stover had several transactions where he bought and sold land in Berlin and Orange, and Genoa Townships                                                                                                      George Stover, 24 living in Liberty Twp., Fairfield County is listed in the 1850 census, married within the year to "Eve" ,his occupation a thrasher, with real estate valued at $950. Evy died in 1850 and is buried in Mt. Zion Cemetery on State Rt. 204, Liberty Twp., Fairfield County. Benjamin Stover's family is in Violet twp., adjacent Twp., October 12, 1850, George Stover purchased for ninety dollars, 60 acres in the south east section of section 19, township 17, range 19 (the northwest corner of Liberty Township, Fairfield County) from Jonathan and Susannah (Finkbone) Houser. Susannah was Eve's sister. In October, 1851, George sold this parcel to Isaac Finkbone, Eve's brother for $145 after the death of Eve (Finkbone) Stover.
George Stover was converted at Trinity. No town by that name in Central Ohio; however, Trinity Church is near Pickerington, Ohio, on the edge of Violet and Liberty Townships. His sister in law's (Mariah Rhoads) obituary mentions the church, saying "she gave her heart to Christ and joined"....the church that was originally called the Houser United Brethren Church. The name was later changed to Trinity United Brethren Church. The 1854 plat map of Etna Twp. in Licking County shows George Stover living just north of Benjamin Green's property. April 1, 1852, George purchased for $500., twenty acres in section 18, township 17, range 19 Etna Township) from Simon and Jane Haver. This property was bounded on the north by land belonging to Henry Warner and on the east and south by land belonging to Benjamin Green, and on the west by land belonging to Frederick Ault. This property was sold September 8, 1855 to George Dellenbauch for the sum of $830.                               In the 1860 census, an Elizabeth Stover, born in Maryland, age 65, living with George's family in Berlin Township, Delaware County. Elizabeth Stover listed in the Delaware County Infirmary in 1870, a pauper born in Penn, mother and father of foreign birth, unable to read or write. died 2/15/1877 and buried in Delaware County Home Cemetery .
Delaware County Infirmary Records, DCGS/DCHS......."Admitted August 7, 1860. Age 60. Habits good, lived in Berlin Twp., Died Febr. 25, 1877."
(Her relationship is not known, possibly the widow of one of his brothers).                                                                  Delaware Gazette..........." Mr. George Stover, one of Berlin's most respected citizens, breathed his last at three o'clock on last Saturday afternoon where he had resided during the past twenty five years., and in the fifty third year of his age. At the time of his death, he was one of the Democratic members of the board of infirmary directors, and was well liked and Highly respected by those who knew him. His remains were placed in the vault at Oak Grove cemetery on last Monday. The funeral services being conducted by W.T. Watson and Rev. Bonemaker, of the United Brethren Church of which he was a devout and earnest member."                                                                   He is listed as the Delaware County Infirmary Director in 1877. Up until 1851, the pioneers of the county managed to care for themselves and their families. However as the population increased and aged, they found the need to establish a means for public assistance. The Infirmary was built to give the unfortunate of the county a place to spend their declining days..... In 1856, a prison for the insane was established on the grounds of the infirmary.
                             
1877- R. M. Bishop, Governor, majority 118 J. W. Fitch, Lieutenant Governor, 299 ; J. W. Oakey, Judge Supreme Court, 79 ; R. J. Fanning; Clerk Supreme Court, 397 ; Isaiah Pillars, Attorney General, 78 ; A. Howells, Treasurer of State. 100 ; .I. J. Burns, School Commissioner, 71 ; M. Schilder, Member Board Public Works, 81 ; J. W. Owens, State Senator, 107 ; D. H. Elliott, Representative, 205 ; S. C. Conrey, County Auditor. 107 : J. H. Warren, County Treasurer, 729 ; N. R. Talley, County Commissioner, 216 ; G. W. Stover, Infirmary Director, 281.

From his obituary........"Rev. George W. Stover was born in Fairfield County, Ohio and died in Berlin Township, Delaware County, Ohio April 17, 1880, aged 53 years, 8 months and 22 days. In 1852 he was married To Miss Elizabeth Green, with whom he has lived twenty eight years, and who now is left with three daughters and one son to mourn an irreparable loss. When about twenty-four years old Brother Stover embraced religion at the old Houser meeting house,-- of precious memory to hundreds, -- and there joined the United Brethren Church, of which he has been a constant member since. About eight years ago, at the urgent request of his brethren, he accepted a licence to preach; and, in this relation to the church, his labors were successful wherever he went. As an intelligent Christian gentleman, he was nearly always in an official position; and whether holding office in the township, county, or Church, he filled his place with unassuming dignity and honor to all. The various financial interests of his church and charge were freely sustained from his abundance, and his house was "the preacher's home".
Four weeks before his death, he said to his pastor, "The world is looking very small to me now; and as I look upward there is not a cloud between me and heaven. All is bright." Being a man universally esteemed, an unusually large congregation was present at his funeral, and their deep sympathy showed their appreciation of his worth. Of him it can be truly said, "He was a good man, full of the Holy Ghost and of faith."

At the quarterly conference of Peachblow Circuit, one week after his death, a committee was authorized, and the following preamble and resolutions were adopted as their sentiments:
Whereas , our heavenly Father has by Death called our brother, Rev. George W. Stover from our number and councils, and we realize our great loss; therefore,

Resolved,
1 That we bow submissively to the will of God in this our grief, and say, "Thy will be done".
2. That we will seek to imitate the zeal, benevolence, and piety of our Christian brother.
3. That we hereby extend our sympathy for his bereaved wife and children, and shall pray for their divine support and guidance in this dark hour of their sorrow.
D. Bonebrake
                                                      Daniel Andrus, Henry Rust, Matthew Conklin were appraisers of GW Stover's estate.      May 12, 1880.      Walter T Watson was administer of the estate.


The descendents of George and Elizabeth are numerous. The names Conklin, Scott, Rust, McNett, Kiser, Griffith, Smith, Durfey, Case, Viers, Collins, Green and many others can trace some of their roots to George W. and Elizabeth Stover.      Andrew Green, brother of Elizabeth also settled in Delaware County. Names that are associated with him are Manter, Norris, Havens among others .                 


W. T. WATSON, grocer, Delaware, was born in Frederick Co., Md., Sept. 3, 1825, and is the son of John and Rachel (Wiles) Watson, both natives of Maryland ; in 1831, they with three children came to Ohio, and located in Scioto Township, Delaware Co. the father and mother died when W. T. was young; in 1840, he came to Delaware to learn the trade of cabinet-maker in about eighteen months, he returned to the farm, which he operated until 1865, when he was elected to the office of County Treasurer, and, in 1866, moved to Delaware, which has since been his home; Mr. Watson has been a public man for a number of years; he started in first as Clerk and then Treasurer of the county, and was also Justice of the Peace for a number of years, he then f served as County Commissioner three years, and I as County Treasurer four years ; during the time t of building the court house; since Mr. Watson has been a resident of Delaware, he has served as 1 member of the City Council for twelve years, and o was the first President of the Council after the t town was incorporated as a city. In 1852 he be d came a member of the United Brethren Church and, in 1858, joined the Sandusky Conference traveling and preaching under their jurisdiction Mr. Watson is now a member of the Central Ohio Conference, and labored in the cause ; since he has been a preacher, Mr. Watson has married 380 couples. In 1846, he was united in marriage to Miss Jane Beckley, of Delaware Co., daughter of Samuel and Susan Beckley; she died in 1852. He married his second wife, Miss Martha Clark, in 1853; she was a daughter of John and Mary Clark ; there have been born into the family nine children, two by the first wife and seven by the second. Mr. Watson is a Republican, but temperate in all things

DCHS/DCGS Abstracts 1875-89
June 4, 1884
Rev. Walter T. Watson died at his residence on Railroad St. in South Delaware after a protracted illness on the 29th inst in the 59th yr of his age. He was a native of Frederick Co. Md., born September 3, 1825 and came to this county in 1831 with his parents, where he continued to reside until his death, having since 1856 been a citizen of Delaware. In 1858 he became a member of the United Brethren Church. He was twice married and the father of 9 children, sic of whom, four sons and two daughters with the widow survive.

More About G
EORGE W. STOVER:
Baptism: 1855, By Rev. Wm. Ferguson
Burial: Apr 1880, Peachblow Cemetery
Cause of Death: Brights disease of the kidneys
Funeral Home: Peachblow Church
Medical Information: Dr. Wintermute Mortality schedule
Occupation: Wool &Grain Dealer/Farmer/Minister
Religion: Abt. 1855, Converted at Trinity

Notes for E
VY "EVE" FINKBONE:
Married less than a year, something took her young life. Evy is buried in Mt Zion Cemetery in Liberty Township in Fairfield County Ohio. Her tombstone stands alone near the front of the cemetery, surrounded by several unmarked graves. The message on her stone reads "Wife of George W. Stover" December 30, 1850 Age 20.

More About E
VY "EVE" FINKBONE:
Burial: Unknown, Mt Zion Cemetery Fairfield County, Ohio

Notes for E
LIZABETH GREEN:
A widow in the 1880 census. Benjamin, her son age 20, living with her his occupation, farming.                                                     
                                                Delaware Gazette April 29, 1892............." Peachblow.. Mrs. G.W. Stover, who has been sick for the past six years, departed this life Wednesday, April 20. the funeral from the E. U. B. Church on Friday, conducted by Rev. Creighton of Westerville. She leaves four children."

From her obituary............"Mrs. Elizabeth Stover, widow of Geo. W. Stover, a former well known business man in Berlin and Orange Townships, died at the home of her daughter, Mr. John Conklin, near Peachblow, where she had been lately removed, Wednesday evening April 20th, 1892. The deceased was born in Licking County January 28, 1830. In early years she united with the United Brethren Church, and remained a faithful member until death. She had been a widow for a few days over twelve years, most of which time she had occupied her house by herself, living close to one daughter and near the others by whom she was most tenderly cared for. She had suffered severely during the past few years of her life. She leaves three daughters, and one son as follows: Mrs. John Conklin and Mrs. Charles Rust of Peachblow, Mrs. Thomas Griffith of West Berlin and B.F. Stover and nine grandchildren to whom she bequeaths the valuable legacy of good name and a life well spent. By request, the funeral Sermon was preached by Rev. Creighton, Westerville, her former pastor from Ex. 33 chapter 14 verse 'My presence shall go with Thee and I will give Thee rest'. During the last week of her life her two sisters, Mrs. Ault and Mrs. Rhodes, of Licking County were with her. She will be buried beside her husband in the Peachblow yard, a part of the home farm and very near where they had lived and raised their family, and where they had together often professed their faith in God and His Holy Spirit.

More About E
LIZABETH GREEN:
Baptism: 1847, By Rev. Wm. Davis
Burial: Apr 1892, Peachblow Cemetery
Census: 1880, Berlin, Delaware, OHio
Funeral Home: Peachblow Church
Religion: 1857, Received as Member Peachblow Church
     
Children of G
EORGE STOVER and ELIZABETH GREEN are:
2. i.   MARIA MELISSA3 STOVER, b. 09 Apr 1853, Etna Twp., Licking County, Ohio; d. 14 Apr 1926, Stratford, Delaware, Ohio.
3. ii.   MARY ELLEN STOVER, b. 13 Jan 1855, Etna Twp., Licking County, Ohio; d. 09 Sep 1932, Berlin Twp., Delaware, Ohio.
4. iii.   BENJAMIN F. STOVER, b. 11 Aug 1859, Berlin Twp., Delaware County, Ohio; d. 31 Aug 1930, Berlin Twp., Delaware, Ohio.
5. iv.   MATTIE A. STOVER, b. 20 Apr 1864, Berlin Twp., Delaware County, Ohio; d. 24 Mar 1924, Berlin Twp., Delaware, Ohio.


[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]
Home | Help | About Us | Biography.com | HistoryChannel.com | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009 Ancestry.com