Rev. Hugh Conn was born 1685 in Magilligan, Ireland, and died June 28, 1752 in Bladensburg, MD. He married (1) Jeanne. He married (2) Elizabeth Todd in Prob. MD.
Notes for Rev. Hugh Conn: Born at Mcgilligan in Ireland about 1685. Graduated at the university of Glasgow. Came to Patapsco, MD. and started a Presbyterian church in Baltimore County. In 1718 he became the minister in Bladensburg, MD. In 1718, a Presbyterian church was erected on land just south of Garrison's Landing. The land had been set aside for just such a purpose by Ninian Beall, himself a staunch Presbyterian. "He (Hugh) died on the 28th of June 1752 while preaching at the funeral of a person who died suddenly. The subject he was upon gave him occasion to mention the certainty of death, the uncertainty of the time and when it might happen, and the absolute necessity of being continually prepared for it, the vast danger of delay and trusting to a death bed repentance, for that, although we may possibly live some years, yet we may be called away in a month or a week or, for aught that we can tell, death might surprise us the next moment. This part of his discourse he was observed to deliver with some elevation of voice, but had scarce uttered the word 'moment' when, putting one hand to his head and one to his side, he fell backward and expired, verifying in a most extraordinary manner, the truth of his doctrine."
Information about his church in Bladensburg: Hyattsville Presbyterian Church 3120 Nicholson Street, Hyattsville, MD 20782 Ph. 301.559.7422 Our faithful congregation existed before 1704 in Upper Marlborough, Prince George's County, MD. Church history records the Trustees of the organized "Patuxent Church," "Upper Marlborough Presbyterian Church" built, 20 December 1704, its first known house of worship on the present site of Trinity Episcopal Church, Upper Marlboro, after they received from their member, Colonel Ninian Beall, his gift-deed to Church ground. In 1709, the same member, Colonel Beall, transmitted a communion set, a silver flagon and two cups, to the congregation. The gift may have come from Queen Anne of England. Nathaniel Taylor was pastor then; he represented his Church in the Philadelphia Presbytery in 1705, and he served through 1711. John Wilson, 1711-1712, and Englishman Daniel McGill 1713-1718, were ministers until the center of commerce and travel shifted from one rural area to another. McGill represented the Church, organizing the first Synod, in 1717, and the New Castle Presbytery in 1718. The Congregation relocated to the newly named Garrison Landing, a forty foot deep harbour, on the Anacostia, which was also owned by Colonel Ninian Beall. The Church locale was purposely chosen by him, being a unique and special part of his vast landholdings, comprising thousands of acres from Georgetown to north to Upper Marlborough to the south, and the local area later to be known as the Port of Bladensburg. It was a wedding gift to his daughter, Rebecca, who married Charles Calvert. Thereafter, on her death, Elizabeth Calvert owned it. The Church's benefactor, Ninian, died in his 92nd year in 1719, a year after the Church broke ground for its second edifice, on a high hill, endowed with its cemetery, "Evergreen". There Pastor Hugh Conn came on the on board and remained for 33 years, from 1718-1752. It was in 1729, on the "Adopting Act", that he, Hugh Conn, took a responsible and decisive role as "one of the twenty" to effectuate the adoption of "Westminster Confession." (As soon as completed the Confession of Faith was brought to Scotland, and most favorably received. It was adopted by the Scottish General Assembly, August 27, 1647. The Scottish Parliament endorsed this action, February 7, 1690. In 1729, the old Synod of Philadelphia the first Presbyterian Synod in North America - in its famous "Adopting Act" adopted the Confession of Faith and Larger and Shorter Catechisms "as the Confessions of our Faith.) It was in 1742, that sixty-one one acre lots along the "Potowmack River" were designated and the town was laid out and named by the legislature for the newly appointed provincial governor of Maryland, Thomas Bladen, thus, Bladensburg. The Church was one of eight to organize the Presbytery of the Potomac in 1758. History tells us that members of the Bladensburg Presbyterian Church were an influential force during the forming years of the Republic. Soon after one of the major conflicts of the War of 1812 took place at Bladensburg, the Church relocated its worship services in Bladensburg again, in 1818, and the manse of God was moved brick by brick to its new home. It retained its use of the Evergreen. The 1818 building still exists for church use, a red-bricked structure, sandwiched between 2 commercial endeavors.
More About Rev. Hugh Conn: Nationality: Irish. Occupation: Presbyterian Minister.
More About Rev. Hugh Conn and Elizabeth Todd: Marriage: Prob. MD.
Children of Rev. Hugh Conn and Jeanne are:
+Hugh Conn Jr., b. December 01, 1723, Prince Georges Co., MD, d. June 22, 1772, Loudon Co., VA.