Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]

Descendants of James S. Brown

14. GEORGIANNA4 BROWN (BENJAMIN FRANKLIN3, JAMES GALSTON2, JAMES S.1) was born 01 Aug 1885 in DeKalb Co., Alabama, and died 30 Jan 1980 in Tri-County Hospital, Ft. Oglethorpe, Catoosa Co., Georgia. She married JOHN LOWRY KEITH 12 May 1907 in DeKalb Co., Alabama, son of COLONEL KEITH and MARY WHITE. He was born 25 May 1886 in Ider, DeKalb Co., Alabama, and died 31 May 1965 in Fort Payne, DeKalb Co., Alabama.

Notes for G
Keith-Mrs. Georgia Anna
age 94, of Route 3, Henagar, Ala., passed away Wednesday at Tri- County Hospital. Services will be at 11 A.M. CST Friday in the Kerby Funeral Home chapel with the Rev. William Steele officiating. Burial will be in Fuller Cemetery.(Ider, DeKalb Co., AL) Surviving are two sons, Herman Keith, Henagar, and Clayton Keith, Tiftonia, one daughter, Mrs. Eunice Smith, Tiftonia; six grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren, six great-great-grandchildren. The body is at Kerby Funeral Home, Henagar. (Ala.)
SOURCE: Newspaper article given to me by Glorae Keith White, granddaughter. Chattanooga Times, 1-31-1980, pA10

More About G
Baptism: 27 Sep 1908, By Elder C.G. "Uncle Tobe" Keith
Burial: Unknown, Fuller Cemetery, Ider, DeKalb Co., Alabama
Cause of Death: Pheumonia
Religion: Ider Baptist Church, DeKalb Co., Alabama

Notes for J
Funeral services for John L. Keith, 79, of Rt. 3 Henagar, Ala., who died Monday in a hospital at Fort Payne, Ala., were held this afternoon at Ider (Ala.) Baptist Church.
The Revs. T.C. Nelson, W. M. Steele and Lionel Patton officiated. Interment was in Fuller Cemetery.(Ider, DeKalb Co., AL)
Mr. Keith was a member of Ider Baptist Church and Ashler Lodge 673, F&AM, He was retired.
Survivors include a daughter, Mrs. Eunice Smith; a son, Clayton Keith, and a sister, Mrs. Alice Crowe, all of Chattanooga.(TN)
SOURCE: Newspaper article given to me by Glorae Keith White, granddaughter

CENSUS: 1900 US Census RE: COLONEL G. KEITH (father)

More About J
Baptism: 19 Nov 1911, By Elder C.G. "Uncle Tobe" Keith
Burial: Unknown, Fuller Cemetery, Ider, DeKalb Co., Alabama
Cause of Death: Heart Problems
Religion: Ider Baptist Church, DeKalb Co., Alabama

Marriage Notes for G
CENSUS: 1900 US Census RE: BENJAMIN BROWN (father)
CENSUS: 1910 US Census RE: BENJAMIN BROWN (father/father-in-law)

CENSUS: 1920 US Census DeKalb Co., Alabama, Precinct 13, Sulphur Springs,Roll: T625_12, Page: 3A, Image: 738,Dwelling # 32.
KEITH, JOHN L. 33,b. Alabama, Father and Mother/Alabama, Occupation: Farmer; GEORGIA, wife 34, b. Alabama, Father/Alabama, Mother/Tennessee; HERMAN 11; CLAYTON 9; EUNICE 6. ( Image #5)

CENSUS: 1930 US Census DeKalb Co., Alabama, Precinct 13, Sulphur Springs, Dwelling #31. (living between Herman Keith and A. Frank Payne)
KEITH, JOHN L. 44, Owns home, lives on a farm, Occupation: Farmer, Age at 1st marriage: 21, b. Alabama, Father/Alabama, Mother/Alabama; wife, GEORGIA A. 44,b. Alabama, Father/Alabama, Mother/Tennessee; CLAYTON 20, b. Alabama, farm laborer; EUNICE 17, b. Alabama. ( Dist 17-Page 3)


Papa and Mama Keith (John L. and Georgia Brown Keith) lived for many years on what is now DeKalb Co. Rd. 739, address was Rt. 2 at one time then changed to Rt. 3 Henagar, Al. but was actually closer to Ider, Al. Their house burned and was rebuilt there. Katherine Payne York Downer, dau. of Mamie Keith Payne (Papa Keith's sister) told me that she and her brother, Roy were there when the house caught fire. They were young, maybe 6 and 8yrs. old. She said they were made to go home. I don't know how the fire begun but they rebuilt and that house is still standing today. The house and some acreage went to Uncle Clayton and Aunt Eunice when Mama Keith died. My brother Max, bought the place from them and kept it for several years, built a chicken house and eventually sold it to Charles Flynn who owns it at this time.
I am not sure what year the house burned but Katherine was born in 1922. That gives some idea as to the time frame.
I was also told by Katherine that at one time Papa and Mama Keith lived off Hi-Way 11 on the road that goes to Sequoyah Caverns, at that time known as Ellis Cave. She said they had a house up on a hill probably on the property now owned by the widow of Samp Clark (another cousin) And she thought this was possible where my Dad , Herman Keith, was born.
When I was a small child we had Keith reunions at Ellis Cave. This was years before it was developed and you could only go a short distance into the cave.
Papa and Mama K. moved away from the home place a couple of times but always went back there. At one time they lived in Sulphur Springs, Ga., in a big white house. I have a picture of Grandpa Brown made beside a house and on the back it said Sulphur Springs, Ga. I wish I knew if this was her house or if he lived there at one time. I think at one time Mama and Papa K. lived in Sulphur Springs, Al. but can't remember where.
My real memories of them are at the house on Rd. 739. I went there nearly every summer until I was almost grown and stayed a few days. I loved going there. Of course they let me have my way about most everything. When it was during the revival at Ider Baptist Church we went most every night.
Papa Keith belonged to Chestnut Grove Church for many years but Mama wanted to go to Ider so eventually he moved his membership there. At least I think he did. She usually got her way and that was what she wanted. ( Mama Keith was a member of Ider Missionary Baptist Church)
She was a wonderful grandmother, a good Christian woman, a good neighbor to all but was a determined person, maybe stubborn would be a better word.
In their house of course they had a fireplace in the living room and she would get tired of it and decide she wanted a wood burning heater. Papa closed that fireplace up so many times I couldn't count them. About every year or two he would have to open it up again, when she decided she liked the fireplace better.
I remember her baking corn bread in that fireplace and she would put potatoes in the ashes and bake them. They were good too.
At that time there was very little traffic on the road and at night if a car went by she would grab the lamp and take it to the door. She thought she could see who it was that way.
I remember the dog they had. His name was Nipper and Mama K. really loved that dog. Can't remember
how he died, probably from old age.
When my brother Max was born, actually a few days before, Daddy took me to Mama and Papa Keiths to stay a few days. Reason being they didn't want me there when he was born. Well, Daddy came after me, told me I had a new brother and Mama K. started getting her things together. She was going home with us to take care of me , the house and my new brother. I had other ideas. I knew she would not let me hold him or do anything for him because I might hurt him. So, I had a little tantrum. Let her know I did not want her going home with us. SHE DIDN'T. Daddy should have give my back side a good whopping for that but he didn't. On the way home he stopped at the store, bought me some gum and candy too, I think. Mama Smith came and stayed with us until Mother was able to be up and take care of everything. She let me hold Max while she bathed Mother, changed the bed etc. She had a big family and expected the "older kids" to help take care of the young ones.
We lived in a 2 story house on US Hwy. 11, just North of the road that goes to the Sequoyah Caverns. While we lived there we had the biggest snow and Uncle Leon, mothers brother was staying with us at that time. He and Daddy made a huge snowman in the front yard. It stayed there for several days. That house burned several years ago.
I had the chicken pox when we lived there and crazy kid I was I wanted Daddy to have them. I met him when he came in from work telling him about it. He didn't take them and never did have them or the mumps. He did catch the measles from me when I was in Jr. High School. Max took as well. Poor Mother, she had her hands full. We were a sick bunch of people.
When I was in 3rd grade we lived in Rising Fawn, Ga. Daddy moved around a bit because of his work. He was saw milling and we would move closer to where he had timber to cut and saw. Max was a toddler at that time. I remember Daddy taking us to Chattanooga to Barnum-Bailey Circus while living there and I had German Measles while there( the 3 day kind). We had a boarder while there, Herbert Koger, he worked for Daddy.
I can't remember for sure but we may have moved from there to Sulphur Springs, Al. Lived in a cabin that was part of a girls summer camp. We were waiting for people to move out of a house we moving into. It was a big white house, had a barn and a creek ran thru the pasture. My friends and I had a lot of fun playing in that creek. I also had the mumps while we lived there and I attended a one room school across the road from our house. Was promoted from the 5th grade to 7th grad and then had to go to Valley Head. We eventually moved there. Daddy bought a house there and I finished high school there. That house and the one in Sulphur Springs is still standing today and in good condition. I do not know who lives in them now.
A Freeman family lived near by and they had all been friends for years. Mama K. wanted me to date one of the boys(can't remember which one now). One time when I was out there she invited them over to make ice cream. She was trying hard to match make but it didn't work. Neither of us were interested.
In the Spring of 1950 Mama Keith fell and broke her arm. I was expecting my first child and was having quite a bit of "morning sickness" only sometimes it lasted most of the day. Anyway, she couldn't do much with her arm in a cast and the doctor had told her not to stoop or bend over so I went to stay with her for a few days. Bless her heart she nearly worked me to death cooking. She wanted me to cook like she would have for me if she had been able. One day she decided we had to kill a chicken, a first for me. I had to catch the chicken, then wring its neck, chop its head off. I thought I would die. I surely didn't want to eat any of it when we finally got it cooked.
I was the oldest grand child and Mama Keith would say "I just hope I can live to see you graduate from high school. She did. After I married she wanted to live to see her first g grand child. She did. Then when my daughter married she wanted to live to see the first gg grand child. She did. That made 5 generations and I have a picture and am so very proud of it.
She lived many years after Papa died but she talked about him every time I saw her. They really loved each other. They had a hard life I am sure raising their children but never talked much about that. They were both so proud of all their children and grand children and the greats and great greats.
Even tho' Mama Keith lived next door to my Mother and Daddy she wouldn't stay with them. She really needed someone with her so Aunt Maggie, having been a widow for years and no children of her own, decided she would go and stay with her. That lasted a very short time. No one could do things the way Mama had always done them. Aunt Eunice and Uncle Clayton remodeled Uncle Clayton's garage and in Tiftonia, TN. Made her the cutest little apartment and moved her up there. That didn't last long either. She didn't like it and one day she called someone to come move her back to the mountain. She did this without Uncle Clayton and Aunt Eunice knowing anything about it. She moved back and stayed in her house until eventually she had to be put in a nursing home.
We used to have such good talks. We were good friends. I will always miss her and long to have those talks again.
P.S. The house where she and Papa lived for so many years burned in November, 2002, caused by lightening. This home was located on Co. Rd. 739, where it was built back after the first fire. Papa was living there when he died and Mama Keith was living there when she went to the nursing home.
Written by Glorae Keith White (My 2nd Cousin), Granddaughter of John L. & Georgia Brown Keith, January, 2003.


Children of G
19. i.   HERMAN GREEN5 KEITH, b. 28 May 1908, Ider, DeKalb Co., Alabama; d. 02 May 1988.
20. ii.   MANUEL CLAYTON KEITH, b. 16 Apr 1910, Ider, DeKalb Co., Alabama; d. 18 Dec 1997.
21. iii.   EUNICE FAYE KEITH, b. 28 Apr 1912, Ider, DeKalb Co., Alabama; d. 22 Jun 1999.

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]
Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009