Isaac Meyers (b. April 29, 1819, d. June 13, 1899)
Isaac Meyers (son of Henry Meyers and Catherine (Caty) Cupp) was born April 29, 1819 in Tazewell, Claiborne Co. TN, and died June 13, 1899 in Liscomb, Marshall Co, Iowa. He married Catherine Treece on June 20, 1841 in Tazewell, Claiborne Co, TN.
Notes for Isaac Meyers: Notes for Isaac Meyers: [Meyers.FTW]
Record of Marriage: Marriage Book # 2, Pg. 29, Claiborne Co., TN #96 Marriage license isd. 17th June 1841 to Isaac Mayes for his intermarriage with Catherine Treese. June 20th 1841 the within was solamnised by uniting these two together as husband & wife. Soloman? Fulp Justice of the peace
1850 IA Federal Census: Marshall Co., Pg. 297 1856 IA State Census: Marshall Co. Pg. 8 / 60&61 1860 IA Federal Census: Marshall Co., Albion Post Office 1870 IA Federal Census: Marshall Co., Liscomb Post Office 1880 IA Federal Census: Marshall Co., Liscomb Twp.
From Times-Republican, Marshalltown, Iowa; Oct. 25, 1928 Thomas J. Meyers, of Liscomb, Oldest Native Born Son of County "The Meyers family came from Claybourne county, Tennessee, in 1848, driving a catle team, a cow and a bull, hitched to an old time "lynch-pin" wagon, which contained all their worldly possessions, including bags of dried fruits and vegetables for the first winter's food, and seeds for the next year's planting. In the party were the father, Isaac Meyers, his wife and her mother, "Grandma" Trease, and the four Meyers children, Jim, aged 6; Will, 4; Jesse, 2, and John, the baby. The first winter was spent at Linn Grove, in Jasper county, where they found a little deserted log cabin, and in the spring of '49 they moved to Marshall county, down on Timber Creek, where they built the little "open-faced" log cabin which was the birthplae of their first born Iowa child, which they named Thomas Jefferson Meyers."
From Times-Republican, Marshalltown, Iowa; June 14, 1899 Death of Isaac Meyers Liscomb, June 14. The angel of death has taken one of our oldest citizens. It was not unexpected when, at 12:30 Tuesday, June 13, Isaac Meyers departed this life. He was born April 29, 1819 near Lazwell (sic), Tenn. On June 20, 1841, he was married to Catherine Trease. Eleven children blessed this union, all but three surviving. In 1848 he came to this state, locating in Jasper county. The next year he removed to Timber Creek. Before Marshalltown was inhabited he located east of the place where the Home now stands. Then in 1852 he came to this place, locating about a mile north of town. Retiring from farm life, he settled in Liscomb in 1883, and with his sons engaged in the hardware and grocery business. He was a member of the Christian church at Bethel for many years. The Iowa order of Odd Fellows being organized in 1872, he became a charter member. For the past few months he has been a patient sufferer from dropsy of the heart. He leaves to mourn a loving wife and eight children---James, Thomas and Mrs. M. C. Coyne of this city; Jesse, of Whitten; Samuel, of Davis, Wyo.; Mrs. R. M. Hauser, of Livingston, Mont.; Mrs. J. J. Anderson of Phillipsburg, Mont.; and Nelson, of Aplin, B.C. In losing him a happy home is broken and a dear friend is gone. The funeral will be held at Bethel church Thursday, June 15 at 11 o'clock. Rev. Isaac Johnson and Rev. W. Smith conducting the services. Interment will be at Bethel cemetery.
History of Marshall Co.; IA by Chicago: Western Historical Company; Page 584; Published in 1878 Meyers, Isaac, farmer, Sec. 1; P.O. Liscomb; born in East Tennessee in 1819; came to this county in 1849, but came to State in 1848; he owns 320 acres of land. Has held offices of Town Trustee, School Director and Justice of the Peace. He maried Miss Catharine Trease in 1841; she was born in Tennessee; has nine children----James, Jesse, Thomas, Samuel, David, Nelson, Caroline M., Nervesta C. and Sarah A..
According to the History of Marshall Co. the Indians were threatening the settlers in the spring of 1850. The Indians had been sent to various reservations in Missouri in 1843, but did not like it there and began returning to Iowa. They claimed that it was unhealthy in Missouri and that many of them had died there. Several different tribes had been displaced from their Iowa land including the Musquakas, Pottawatomies and Winnebagoes. Fortunately for the settlers, the Indians they had to deal with were not as warlike as the Sioux, or they most likely would have all been massacred that summer. There were about 1500 warriors in the area. Every day they had war dances in their war paint which made the settlers very uneasy. They stole and killed some of the white men's livestock, but did no harm to the settlers. The settlers petitioned Major Wood of Fort Dodge to help protect them from the Indians, but he told them he couldn't spare any soldiers and that they had to protect themselves or move from the area. He also told them that he had been ordered to remove the Indians back to Missouri and that his actions would probably cause the Indians to get revenge by murdering the settlers. Some settlers tried to bribe the Indians to leave, but they refused. The white men's crops were growing and they had a a nice settlement established; so they did not want to leave. The men decided to stay and defend their claims to the land. Two men were sent to get more ammunition. On June 11th they began building a fort ninety feet square and ten feet high. It was built of puncheons driven into the ground. They had it completed in a few days. Twenty-four families, including thirty children, moved into the fort. (Note: Isaac and Catherine Meyers, sons James, William, Jesse, John, and Thomas, plus Catherine's mother, Susanna Trease took up residence in Fort Robinson.) All of the families moved their household goods into the fort, but left the cattle outside. Their tents were made of wagon covers and old quilts. They shared some fires, but each family had it's own table. The meat, milk, and butter were kept at Mr. Robinson's smoke house. The men kept a constant vigil, but the Indians never did make an attack on the fort. They rode within sight of the fort in their warpaint which kept the settlers very nervous. After three or four weeks of meetings with Major Williams, the Indians agreed to return to Missouri. He promised them that the government would give them flour, pork, ammunition, and blankets if they would leave Iowa. The Indians left and the settlers never again had to fear an Indian attack .
History of Marshall Co, IA by Mrs. N. Sanford (1867) Page 33; Timber Creek "Mr. Crowder and Mr. Meyers, now of Iowa Township were neighbors on Timber Creek, and the old settlers used to meet every week, and had parties where all came, and eat pounded or cracked corn, with many a joke as to the power of each other's teeth in crushing the substitute for bread."
From Times-Republican, Marshalltown, Iowa; Nov. 6, 1964 Liscomb Farm In Same Family Over Century "One of the first schools in the area was started in a log house on the Meyers farm and taught by Miss Caroline Thomas and later by Miss Rozzie Dewey. When Isaac Meyers built the barn on what is now the Biersborn farm, using old hewed logs from the mill down the creek, school was moved to a room in the northeast corner of the barn and taught by Miss Vina Sherman. Later a school house was built farther north on the edge of the timber. The Isaac Meyers 251 acre farm was also the site of the first post office in the area. When a stage road was established, Isaac became the first postmaster for the office (in his home) half way between Marshalltown and Eldora called Moorman Hill. Residents in this area got their mail in Albion at first, then after a strong local fight as to whether the new stage office should be located east or west of the Iowa River, it was located on the Meyers farm. "Uncle" Jim Trease, a brother of Mrs. Isaac Meyers, made the first post office furniture, which consisted of a desk with hinged top and pigeon holes above. Stamps and the mail key were kept in the desk. At first the stage came twice a week. Letters were not tied but everything, letters, papers, packages, was loose in the sacks which were dumped on a table or on the floor. The postmaster sorted out his mail while the driver waited. Often the driver came as late as midnight. The office was open on Sunday too, for many residents northeast of Whitten received mail there and couldn't come any other day. For this work the postmaster received the princely sum of $24 a year. Later the office was moved to the George Woodruff farm which was north in Hardin County, and the name was changed to Union."
From Times-Republican, Marshalltown, Iowa; July 19 1976 Stagecoach Road is Dedicated Markers showing the old stage road in the Union vicinity were dedicated and given to the Hardin County Conservation Board. "When the stage line was to be put through, according to local historians, there was a battle for the line and the post office between settlers west of the river and those east of it. The east won, and on Oct 18, 1852, Isaac Meyers was appointed postmaster. The stage came twice a week at first to the Meyers home north of Liscomb: a star designated the home as a post office."
Excerpt from a newspaper, circa 1970, name and date unknown. Story from Liscomb, Iowa concerning Isaac Meyers' home. "Isaac Meyers built the house in 1860 and at the time it was the largest and most pretentious farm home in the area. Fred Gager built the house of all native wood, mostly hard. The floors downstairs were of oak hewed by hand. The casings were of black walnut four by fours, hand planed by the carpenter. Doors and window sashes were hand made. The shingles were oak. In 1872 the house was remodeled and the walnut siding removed. When it was recently remodeled carpenters had trouble sawing and found they were working with black walnut."
The historic 110 year old house, once used as a mail stop, was burned to the ground in one hour and 15 minutes by the Liscomb Volunteer Fire Department for training purposes. The owner kept as a keepsake the star from the house which designated it as a mail stop.
More About Isaac Meyers: Burial: Bethel Grove Cemetery, Liscomb, Marshall, IA.
More About Isaac Meyers and Catherine Treece: Marriage: June 20, 1841, Tazewell, Claiborne Co, TN.
Children of Isaac Meyers and Catherine Treece are:
James Calloway Meyers, b. June 01, 1842, Claiborne Co. TN, d. February 05, 1925, Liscomb, Marshall Co, Iowa.