Notes for James Washington Dean: This information is taken from an article by the late Troy Dean as printed in the Pickens County Progress
In the early 1900's Andrew Thompson owned the mill that is now John's Mill on Scarecorn Creek, Hinton Community, Pickens County, Ga. It was a wheat and corn mill. James W. Dean and his wife Nancy lived in a little house near the mill and ran it for him. They later bought the mill from Thompson. He built a gin house and ginned cotton. He also had a planer mill, saw mill, and a kiln to dry lumber. He made coffins. James and Nancy had four children when they moved into the little house. Seven others were born on the place. James Dean and his family farmed too. They grew cotton. Corn, peas, hay and a garden. They had cows for milk and butter, hogs and beef cows, two mules and a mare to pull the plow. Sometimes people would leave corn and cotton overnight and the Deans would run the mill and gin until midnight to catch up on the work. He never had certain days to gin or grind, but he never ginned cotton or ground corn on Sunday. The family would go to church in a wagon or walk or visit with Kindred and neighbors. A flood washed away the dam and race in 1929. Part of the mill was washed away and the water wheel was damaged. Rocks and sand were gathered and the dam was built back by hand. The race was built back out of cement and steel. It is still standing. The Whitestone flood came the 7th day of April in 1938 and washed away the east side of the dam, the gin house, mill house, ship, tools, and all of the machinery. The dam was built again. So was a little mill house which is still standing. The water wheel was rebuilt and started grinding corn again that year. James Dean died in 1951. He and his wife lived to see all of their children married and baptized into the Baptist Church and to see 37 of their grandchildren born.
The following is taken from an article submitted by J. A. Townsend in the book of History of Pickens County, Ga. Heritage Book ( 1853-1998). Sources: Warranty Deeds, Census Records, Family Bible, Verbal and Monuments.
James Washington Dean born May 6, 1869 and died April 6, 1951 in Pickens County, Ga was the first child born to John Marion Dean Born August 8, 1849 died February 4, 1927 in Grimes, Oklahoma, buried in Dempsy Cemetery, Cheyenne, Oklahoma and Harit Elizabeth Chadwick Dean born January 18, 1850 and died August 17, 1877 in Pickens County, Ga. James W. Dean was married on December 23, 1894 at Pine Grove Baptist Church to Nancy Jane Reynolds born April 29, 1878 in Whitfield County. Nancy was the daughter of John Henry Reynolds born April 28, 1849 died October 19, 1921 and Lucy Angeline Raines Reynolds born December 31, 1841 died January 18, 1935. James and Nancy had 11 children, Lucy Mellieviny Dean Townsend born January 15, 1896, died June 14, 1975: Jesse James Dean born September 1, 1897 died January 28, 1995; Julie Viola Dean Cordell born April 7, 1899 died April 9, 1984; John Henry Dean born December 25 1901 died July 24, 1973; Minnie Gay Dean Townsend born February 19, 1904 died October 6, 1991; Lola Mae Dean Thomason born October 6, 1991 died...; Joe Brown Dean born July 29, 1908 died December 10, 1973; Richard Ernest Dean born April 8, 1911 died March 21, 1980; William Reynolds Dean born July 10, 1913 died .. ; Troy Edward Dean born August 29, 1915 died November 2, 1994; Harriet Elizabeth Dean Holcomb born September 10, 1921 died June 27, 1987.
After James and Nancy married they lived in the Ball Creek Community in Pickens County, Ga and owned and operated a corn mill. He also ran the Warlick Mill, Swan's Mill, Meric Jones Mill, Thompson Mill, and Stewart Mill in Pickens and Gilmer Counties.
IN the early 1900 he moved his family to the Hinton Community of Pickens County, Ga and lived in the D.A. Thompson renter home on Big Scarecorn Creek and ran a wheat and corm mill for him. On January 1, 1912, D. A. Thompson sold the farm 160 acres more or less, lot no 273 in the 24th District and all buildings and machinery to J. W. Dean. James moved his family to the larger home nearby and J.H. Reynolds moved to the renter house and ran a blacksmith shop and helped James make coffins for people who had loved ones to pass away. Known as the Dean's Mill now, James and his family worked hard on the farm and in the next few years they were operating a cotton gin, planer mill, saw mill and a kiln for the public. They grew cotton, corn, hay and had a big garden on the farm. The family milked cows, grew hogs and a beef each year for food. They had 2 mules and a mare to plow the crops. The older children worked at the mill and gin and the younger ones helped with the farm work. The mill was never operated on Sunday. The family rode in a wagon or walked to church until James bought a 1916 Touring T-Model Ford. Sometimes they didn't get all the grinding and ginning done in a day and they would run the mills until midnight to catch up on the work. He never had certain days to gin or grind it was first come first served. They built a little country store and sold items the farm families needed and for the ones the have something to eat while waiting on their cotton to be ginned or corn to be ground. On February 12, 1917, James bought 40 acres of farm land across the creek known as the Hawk bottoms from J. S. Anderson this gave them more land to grow cotton or corn. In the fall of the year if the water in the creek got low they used a steam engine to help power the gins. IN 1929 a flood came and washed away the west side of the dam. The race made of wood, part of the mill and damage was done to the Davis Foundry Turbine 22 inch runner waterwheel, that was used for power. James hired two rock masons to build the dam back. Jimmy and Hancell Long. With a pair of mules, a sled, a T-Model Truck and the help of family and friends they gathered up rock and sand by hand and bulk the dam back. The race was built of cement and steel. They had the mill running by fall of 1929. On April 7 1938 the Whitestone flood completely washed away the Dean's mill and everything in reach of the mighty high waters. Sheets of flat rock covered the ground where the mill house once stood. The west side of the dam was all that was left. The family gathered up all the pieces they could find that had washed down the creek and got the mill back running. James got a Fordson tractor to power the corn mill and hammer mill while the Long boys repaired the east side of the dam of rock and cement. He installed two corn mills, sheller and hammer mill, rebuilt the waterwheel and began grinding that year. The Dean family was very close and had a lot of love for each other. James and Nancy lived to see all their children married and 37 of their grandchildren born. James owned and operated the Dean's Mill until his death, April 6, 1951. Family members purchased the farm and continued running the mill. In 1966 John Humphrey purchased the mill and some land surrounding it, repaired the dam, built a log building to install his old grist mill in. Mr. Humphrey began operating the John Humphrey mill in 1973. The rest of the Dean property is still owned by the Dean family members.
More About James Washington Dean: Burial: Abt. 08 Apr 1951, Friendship Baptist Church Cemetary, Pickens County, GA. Occupation: Miller and Farmer.
More About James Washington Dean and Nancy Jane Reynolds: Marriage: 23 Dec 1894, Pine Grove Baptist Church, Whitfield County, GA.
Children of James Washington Dean and Nancy Jane Reynolds are: