Henry Clay Ashbaugh
Born: August 27, 1844
Died: March, 1916
Buried: Forest Hill Cemetery, Eau Claire, WI
Excerpts from the "History of Eau Claire County", 1914:
"...he continued in the business in the name of Free Press Company until---impelled by the handicap of impaired sight---he sold the plant and paper to H. C. Ashbaugh, March 9, 1880."
"Mr. Ashbaugh came to the Free Press with experience in the publication of a daily in a small city, and his ownership of a dozen years may well express a compliment to him. He christened the daily issue the Evening Free Press, continued both issues until 1902, when he sold the lists and good will to C. W. Fiske, then court reporter, who merged his purchase with the Evening Telegram. The equipment of the Free Press was converted into a job printing outfit, successfully developed by the Ashbaugh Printing Company. Mr. Ashbaugh lives in comfortable retirement at Denver, Colorado."
...and later on page 503:
"In December 1901, the Free Press was purchased by the Telegram Publishing Company from H. C. Ashbaugh and consolidated with the Telegram. The Free Press was an old established paper, history of which has already been given."
From the "History of the Chippewa Valley", 1892:
"Henry C. Ashbaugh, editor and proprietor of the daily and weekly "Free Press," Eau Claire. His grandfather, John Ashbaugh, came to this country from Holland, his native country, and settled in Ohio, where his son, Lewis L., was born. The latter was educated in Ohio, became a Methodist minister, and resided many years in Iowa. He was captain of a company of Illinois volunteers which was organized in and around Rock Island. After the war he again entered the ministry. Our subject received his education principally in the printing office, where so many of our eminent men began their career. The education, though not highly classical, was very thorough, and much more practical than many college courses. When the was clouds began to hover over the country this young patriot could not be induced to remain at home, but like a true son of a brave father he enlisted, October 16, 1861, in Company H, of the Forty-fifth Illinois volunteer infantry, though but seventeen years of age. He fought in many engagements, but was never severely wounded. He served his country until December 24, 1864, when the war was practically closed. At the age of twenty years he started the New Boston "Herald," at New Boston, Ill., but was soon after induced to sell it, and then had charge of printing offices at Burlington, Iowa, and again at Fort Madison, same statem and for four years and a half was employed as printer on the St. Louis "Republican." He then bought out the Wilton Junction (Iowa) "Chronicle," but sold it the following year and purchased a half interest in the "Free Press" at Newton, Iowa. Later on he published papers in Bentonsport, Iowa, and Newton, Kas. At the latter place he started the Newton "Kansan" in 1872, and conducted it very successfully for fifteen years. He built the paper up and made it the largest in the county. Its tone was sistinctively republican, and it was free and outspoken. Under the administrations of Presidents Hayes and Arthur he was postmaster for six Years and a half. He sold his paper in 1887 and purchased a half interest in the "Daily Union," in Rock Island, Ill., where he remained until January, 1890. In April of that year he came to Eau Claire and bought the "Free Press," which he is still managing with a great deal of tact and energy. He is a member of the A.F. and A.M. and G.A.R. fraternaties. He married Emeline E. Archer, who has borne him six children, as follows: Fred N., Hattie L., Birdie, Louis B., William H. and Mattie."
From William G. Cutler's "History of the State of Kansas", 1883:
"H. C. Ashbaugh located in Newton in July, 1872, and established the Kansan, the sole paper in the county for several years. in March, 1879, he was appointed Postmaster, having previously held various offices in town and city. Mr. Ashbaugh was born in Worthington, Ohio, August 27, 1844, and at the age of four years moved to Iowa with his parents. At the age of eleven he commenced learning the printer's trade at West Union, Iowa, continuing at the case a large share of the time until the spring of 1861. September 23, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Forty-fifth Illinois Infantry, and served in that regiment until the fall of Vicksburg, when he was transferred to the printing department of the army by Gen. McPherson, where he remained until nearly the close of the war, afterward settling for a time in Mercer co, Ill., where he published a paper called the New Boston Herald. In 1865 he went to St. Louis and worked on the St. Louis Republican until the fall of 1869, thence to Wilton Junction, Iowa, and bought the Wilton Chronicle, which he ran eighteen months; thence to Newton, Iowa, where he purchased a half interest in the NewtonFree Press and where he remained six months; and subsequently, the Des Moines Valley Reporter at Bentonport, Iowa; coming from the latter place to Topeka, and thence to Newton, Kan. Mr. Ashbaugh was married at Rock Island, Ill., April 27, 1870 to Emily E. Archer, a native of Whiteside, Ill., and has five children, Frederick, Newton, Hattie May, Minnie, Bertha, Lewis S. and William H. Mr. A. is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery, also G. A. R. His father, Rev. Lewis Sells Ashbaugh, a methodist preacher, died in Wichita, Kan., June 9, 1881."
45th Illinois Infantry:
"The Washburn Lead Mine Regiment was organized by John E. Smith, of Galena, Illinois, who was commissioned Colonel of Volunteers, July 23, 1861. This Regiment, during its organization redezvoused at the JoDaviess county fair grounds, near Galena, and the camp was named Camp Washburne, in honor of E.B. Washburne, member of Congress from Galena district. Seven companies of the Regiment only, were in camp at Galena, but the regimental organization was fully completed and the Regiment armed with the short Enfield rifle.
November 22, 1861, Camp Washburne was broken up, and the Regiment ordered into camp, at Camp Douglas, Chicago. here the full complement of ten companies was made up, and the Regiment, as a Regiment, mustered into the service of the United Statesm as the Forty-fifth Illinois Regiment, December 25, 1861.
January 12, 1862, the Regiment left Camp Douglas for Cairo, Illinois, where it went into camp on the 15th of January.
February 1, the Forty-fifth was assigned to the Second Brigade, commanded by Colonel W.H.L. Wallace, First Division, commanded by General John A. McClernand.
February 2, the Regiment left Cairo with General Grant's army for the Tennessee River, and on the 4th pitched it tents in the first camp in the field, at Camp Hallock, four miles below Fort Henry. On the evening if tge 6th of February, the Regiment marched into Fort Henry, the enemy having moved out the same day.
February 11, the Forty-fifth, with the division, moved out of camp at Fort Henry at 4 o-clock P.M., and took the direct road for Fort Donelson.
February 13th, during the forenoon, it took its position on the right the line. The afternoon of the 13th, the Forty-fifth was sent to the relief of the Forty-ninth Illinois Infantry, which was engaged close up to the enemy's works, and received its "baptism of fire". It came hot, but brief, and the Regiment emerged benefited by the encounter. The Forty-fifth bore its full share of the three days' fight at Donelson, though its loss was small, only 2 killed and 26 wounded.
The Regiment remained in camp at Fort Donelson until March 4, when it marched across the country to the mouth of the Big Sandy, and took boats up to the Tennessee River to Savannah, arriving on the 11th.
Remained in camp at Savannah until March 25. While at Savanna the Forty-fifth formed part of what was called the "Pin Hook expedition", which was simply a two or three days' scout into the interior towards Pin Hook.
March 25, moved to Pittsburg Landing and went into camp with McClermand's Division. The camp of the Forty-fifth was at the junction of the Purdy and Corinth roads, not far from Shiloh church.
April 6, the Regiment had its regular Sunday morning inspection, and left its arms stacked on the color line at the close, to take breakfast. The breakfast call had just sounded, when the "long roll" was beat on the color line, and in three minutes, at most, the men had their arms in their hands, and the officers were in their places. The order was to move to the left and front, "double quick", to support Sherman. The Forty-fifth went into the fight at Shiloh with about 500 men. It was in the front line from first to last of the two days' fight. On Sunday it fought mainly on its "own hook" after the first engagement, under the commend of Colonel Smith, and fought back and forth over the same ground a number of times. Late in the day it fell back, leisurely, and took its place with its Brigade and Division, on the right of the line, when the final stand was made. Here the Forty-fifth laid on its arms during the night in the rain, and moved forward on Monday morning at daylight. The second day it was a forward movement nearly all day and after the final charge, Monday, the Regiment stopped almost in its old camp, from which it had so suddenly departed on Sunday morning.
The losses of the Forty-fifth at Shiloh were 26 killed, and 199 wounded and missing. The missingm not woundedm were but few, and they rejoined the Regiment when it went into its old damp, about dark on Monday.
April 24, the Forty-fifth broke camp at Shiloh, and moved forward with the army on its slow approach upon Corinth. During the siege, the Forty-fifth was attached to the First Brigade, Third Division of the Reserve. Its labors in the trenches were severe; its dangers were few.
June 4, 1862, the Forty-fifth was ordered from Corinth to Jackson, Tenn., where it arrived with the Third Brigade on the 8th of June, and went into camp in a beautiful grove just east of town. The summer of 1862 was spent in camp at Jackson, or on railroad guard duty at different points along the line.
August 11, the Regiment was assigned to guard duty south of Jackson, on the line of the Mississippi Cnetral Railroad. Four companies were stationed at Medon, one company at Treager's, and five companies at Toon's.
On the 31st of August Armstrong's rebel cavalry brigade raided within the Unoin lines, and struck the railroad just north of Toon's, at Treager's and at Medon. Company C, was captured at Treager's. At Medon a sharp fight occurred but the rebels were repulsed. The loss in the Forty-fifth was 3 killed, 13 wounded and 43 taken prisoners.
September 17, the Regiment returned to Jackson.
November 2, moved from Jackson to Lagrange, Tenn. The Regiment did provost guard duty in Lagrange until November 28, when it moved with the army on the Holly Springs campaign. The Forty-fifth marched as far as Spring Dale, where it countermarched for the return trip.
At Spring Dale Colonel John E. Smith received his commission as Brigadier General and took formal leave of the Regiment, though he had been in command of a brigade for some months.
The Forty-fifth moved on the return march Decmber 22, to north of the Tallahatchie River, where it remained until January 1, 1863, when it continued its northern march to Memphis.
In the month of February, the Forty-fifth moved with General Grnat's Army on trnasports down the river from Memphis to take part in the Vicksburg campaign. Stops were made at Lake Providence, Vista Plantation and Milliken's Bend. At Milliken's Bend, volunteers were called for to run the batteries with transports at Vicksburg. The entire Regiment, officers and men, volunteered for this duty. The matter was decided by making a detail of the quota assigned to the Forty-fifth. The detail comprised the crew which manned the steamer Anglo Saxon, and took her safely through, loaded with a full cargo of commissary stores."...
"May 1, 1863, found the Forty-fifth on the east bank of the Mississippi at Bruinsburg, below Vicksburg, and the same day started with General Grant's army on the famous campaign which ended in the capture of Vicksburg. The Regiment participated in all the battles of the campaign forming part of Logan's Division.
The position of the Forty-fifth during the siege of Vicksburg, was immediately at the White House, on the Jackson road, in front of the rebel Fort Hill, regarded as the key to the fortress.
The Forty-fifth took part in three charges against the rebel works, on the 19th and 22d of May, and the 25th of June. On the 22d Major Luther H. Cowen was instantly killed. About a month was occupied in running a sap and digging a mine under Fort Hill. June 25, the mine having been chargedm the match was applied. The Forty-fifth was selected at the storming party, when the breach should be made. Immediately after the explosion, the Regiment rushed into the crater, but was met with a murderous fire by the enemy, who was still protected by an embankment of about three feet in width, which had been thrown by the rebels as an inner line in case the outer works should be demolished, The loss to the Forty-fifth in this charge, was 83 officers and men killed and wounded. Among the killed were Melancthon Smith, Lieutenant Colonel, Leander B. Fisk, Major, and a number of non-commisioned officers and men. Among the wounded was Jasper A. Maltby, Colonel of the Regiment, it was a bloody affair indeed. when the city surrendered on account of its conspicious service during the siege, by order of General Grant the Forty-fifth was given the advance of the Union army when it entered that stronghold, and its flag was raised upon the court house by Colonel Wm. E. Strong, of General McPherson's staff, to denote the possession of the city by the Federal army.
The Forty-fifth was detailed for provost guard duty in Vicksburg on the 4th of July, and continued to do duty until October 14, when it was relieved, to take part in the Canton raid, during which a skirmish occured with the rebels at Boguechitto, on the 17th.
From November 7, 1863 until February 3, 1864, the Forty-fifth was in camp at Black River, some ten miles east of Vicksburg.
In the months of December and January the Regiment, almost to a man re-enlisted as Veterans.
From February 3 to March 4, the Forty-fifth took part in the "Meridian raid", and was engaged in the skirmish at Chucky Station, where three men of the Regiment were wounded.
March 17, the Forty-fifth left Vicksburg for Cairom where it was given a thirty days' veteran furlough.
May 4, the Regiment again rendevoused at Cairo, and rejoined the army, then on the Atlanta campaign, the 7th day of June, at Etowah Bridge, Ga., going by steamer from Cairo to Clifton, Tenn., and thence marching overland, via Pulaski, Tenn., Huntsville and Decatur, Ala., Rome and Kingston, Ga. From this date the Forty-fifth took its share in the Atlanta campaign, before and after the fall of Atlanta, until the beginning of the "march to the sea".
On the "march to the sea" the Forty-fifth was attached to the Seventeenth Army Corps, as it had been during the Vicksburg campaign, and from the first organization of the famous Corps. Left Atlanta November 12 and arrived in Savannah December 21, 1864."
|Download the Illinois Civil War Regiment and Unit Histories in PDF format (1.4 megabytes). Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.0 or later.