Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals |InterneTree |Sources

View Tree for General Wade HamptonGeneral Wade Hampton (b. 1751, d. 04 February 1835)

Wade Hampton (son of Anthony Hampton and Elizabeth Preston) was born 1751 in Halifax County, Virginia, and died 04 February 1835 in Columbia, South Carolina. He married Mary Cantey on 18 July 1801 in St. Matthew's Parish, Orangeburg District, South Carolina, daughter of John Cantey and Hannah Connor.

 Includes NotesNotes for Wade Hampton:
Wade Hampton came to live in Richland County after the Revolution. His brother Richard and he had been engaged in business with a certain Gray, mostly in the up-country. The records show large sales of provisions at the Congarees to General Sumter. Edward Hampton, another brother, while surveying before the war, surveyed a number of tracts of land in the fork of the Congaree and Wateree.
Colonel Wade Hampton married in 1783 Mrs. Martha Epps Howell, widow of Malachi Howell, son of Thomas and Grace Howell She was the only child of Jesse Goodwyn and his wife, Martha, daughter of Philip Raiford. She died May 22, 1784. No children by this marriage are known. A letter dated in 1784 in possession of Professor Yates Snowden is addressed to Col. Wade Hampton at Greenfield, the plantation of his wife, below Adams' Mill Pond. Two years later, August 14, 1786, Colonel Hampton married Harriet Flud. The census of 1790 records Wade Hampton in Richland County as head of a family, in which there were two males (including himself) over 16 years of age, five under 16 years, three females, and 86 slaves. Whether there were any children of either
marriage at this time cannot be ascertained.
A son, Wade, who is generally known as Col. Wade Hampton, builder of Millwood, was born in Columbia, April 21, 1791; and another son, Frank, was born later, if the fact that both left the South Carolina College in the same year, Wade in the junior class, his brother a sophomore, indicates a similar difference in age.
Mrs. Harriet Hampton died October 31, 1794. Seven years after this Colonel Hampton married Mary Cantey, July 18, 1801, who survived him. Of this union several children were born, as shown by the graves in Trinity churchyard. He died at the age of 83, on the 4th of February, 1835; she at the same age on the 19th of June, 1863. One daughter survived, Caroline, wife of John S. Preston.
Shortly after the Revolution the state offered lands for sale at $10.00 for a hundred acres. Wade Hampton became the owner of many thousands of acres He, with Thomas Taylor and Timothy Rives, secured title in 1785 to 18,500 acres on Gill Creek, from above Lakeview, on both sides of the creek to the Congaree. Colonel Taylor retained part of the land at the upper end, while Colonel Hampton became possessor of the balance. Several years later, the exact time not known, he built a home near Gill Creek, about two miles below Garner's Ferry road.
Hampton, Wade (S. C.). Lieutenant and Paymaster 1st South Carolina in 1776; Captain in 1777; Colonel South Carolina Militia, commanding a Brigade under General Sumter in 1781; Colonel Light Dragoons U. S. A., 10th October, 1808; Brigadier-General, 15th February, 1809; Major-General, 2d March, 1813; resigned 16th March, 1814. (Died 4th February, 1835.)

HAMPTON, Wade, soldier, born in South Carolina in 1754; died in Columbia, South Carolina, 4 February, 1835. He served with distinction in the Revolution under Marion and Sumter, and after the war was in congress in 1795-'7. He was a presidential elector in 1801, and in 1803-'5 served again in congress, having been elected as a Democrat. He was made a colonel in the United States army in 1808, placed in command of one of the regiments that had been raised in apprehension of war with England, and in February, 1809, was promoted to brigadier-general, and stationed at New Orleans. In consequence of continual disagreements with his subordinates he was superseded by General James Wilkinson in 1812, and during the war with England commanded a force on the northern frontier, having been given a major-general's commission on 2 March, 1813. On 26 October, 1813, at Chateaugay, he attacked Sir George Prevost, who repelled him with an inferior force. He afterward frustrated the attempt on Montreal by his unwillingness to co-operate with his old rival, General Wilkinson. He resigned his commission on 6 April, 1814, and returned to South Carolina. He acquired a large fortune by land speculations, and at his death was supposed to be the wealthiest planter in the United States, owning 3,000 slaves. General Hampton was a fair example of the old-fashioned slave-holding oligarchs, being of a high, proud, stern, and inflexible character, and ably administering his large estate.--His son, Wade, born 21 April, 1791; died on a plantation near Mississippi river, 10 February, 1858, became lieutenant of dragoons in 1811, and was acting inspector-general and aide to General Jackson at New Orleans in January, 1815. He succeeded to his father's estates. His home at Columbia, South Carolina, was famous for its beauty and elegance, and the grounds were improved at a cost of 860,000, a large sum for that time. His sisters married General John S. Preston and Governor Richard Manning.--Wade, son of the second Wade, born in Columbia, South Carolina, in 1818, was graduated at the University of South Carolina, and afterward studied law, but without the intention of practising. Under his father's training he became a good horseman, a famous hunter, and an accomplished fisherman. He served in the legislature of South Carolina in early life, but his political views were those of a Democrat of a national, rattler than a secession, tendency, and were not popular in his state. His speech against the reopening of the slave-trade was called by the New York "Tribune" "a masterpiece of loaic, directed by the noblest sentiments of the Christian and patriot." His earlier life was, however, devoted to his plantation interests in South Carolina and Mississippi, and to the pursuits of a man of fortune. When the civil war began, Hampton first enlisted as a private, but soon raised a command of infantry, cavalry, and artillery, which was known as "Hampton's Legion," and won distinction in the war. At Bull Run 600 of his infantry held for some time the Warrenton road against Keyes's corps, and were sustaining Bee when Jackson came to their aid. In the peninsular campaign they were again distinguished, and at Seven Pines lost half their number, and Hampton himself received a painful wound in the foot. Soon afterward he was made brigadier-general of cavalry, and assigned to General J. E. B. Stuart's command. He was frequently selected for detached service, in which he was uncommonly successful. In the Maryland and Pennsylvania campaigns of 1862--'3 Hampton was actively engaged, and he distinguished himself at Gettysburg, receiving three wounds. It is said that twenty-one out of twenty-three field officers and more than half the men in Hampton's command were killed or wounded in this battle. Hampton was made a major-general, with rank from 3 August, 1863. In 1864, after several days' fighting, he gave Sheridan a check at Trevillian's Station, which broke up a plan of campaign that included a junction with Hunter and the capture of Lynchburg. In twenty-three days he captured over 3,000 prisoners and much material of war, with a loss of 719 men. He was made commander of Lee's cavalry in August, with the rank of lieutenant-general, and in September struck the rear of the National army at City Point, bringing away 400 prisoners and 2,486 beeves. Soon afterward, in another action, he captured 500 prisoners. In one of these attacks he lost his son in battle. Hampton was then detached to take command of General Joseph E. Johnston's cavalry, and did what he could to arrest the advance of Sherman's army northward from Savannah in the spring of 1865. After the unfortunate burning of Columbia, South Carolina, on its evacuation by the Confederates, a sharp discussion arose between General Hampton and General Sherman, each charging the other with the wilful destruction of the city. After the war he at once engaged in cotton planting, but was not successful. He accepted from the first all the legitimate consequences of defeat, an entire submission to the law, and the civil and political equality of the negro; but he has steadily defended the motives and conduct of his people and their leaders. In 1866, speaking of the negro, he said: "As a slave, he was faithful to us; as a free man, let us treat him as a friend. Deal with him frankly, justly, kindly." During the reconstruction period Hampton's conciliatory policy found little favor for some time, but in 1876 he was nominated for governor against Daniel II. Chamberlain. Each claimed to be elected, and two governments were organized, but Mr. Chamberlain finally yielded his claims. (See CHAMBERLAIN, DANIEL H.) In 1878 he met with an accident by which he lost a leg: but, while his life was despaired of, he was elected to the United States senate, where he is still serving (1887). In the senate his course has been that of a conservative Democrat. He has advocated a sound currency, resisting all inflation, and has generally acted in concert with Thomas A. Bayard, whose aspirations for the presidency he has supported. General Hampton married in early life Margaret Preston, youngest daughter of General Francis Preston. His second wife was the daughter of Senator George McDuffie, of South Carolina.

Edited Appletons Encyclopedia, Copyright © 2001 VirtualologyTM

HAMPTON, Wade – WADE Hampton settled in Richland County after the American Revolution. He had at least two brothers, Richard and Edward. In 1783, WADE Hampton married Mrs. Martha Epps Howell, the widow of Malachi Howell. Martha was the only child of Jesse and Martha Goodwyn. Martha Epps Howell Hampton died May 22, 1784. She and WADE had no children. After Martha’s death, on August 14, 1786, WADE Hampton married Harriet Flud. Harriet died on October 31, 1794. After Harriet’s death, on July 18, 1801, WADE Hampton married Mary Cantey. She died on June 19, 1863 and WADE died on February 4, 1835. He is buried in the northwest corner of the Trinity churchyard. WADE Hampton had a number of children. Some of his children are listed below:
1. Wade Hampton
2. Frank Hampton
3. Harriet Hampton; died October 2, 1826 (age 23)
4. Louisa Wade Hampton; died August 15, 1827 (age 22)
5. Caroline M. Hampton Preston; born September 12, 1807, died December 10, 1883.
6. Mary Sumter Hampton Player; died May 17, 1832, (age 21 years, 11 months, and 19 days).
7. Alfred Hampton; died October 9, 1826 (age 10)
8. Susan Frances Hampton Manning; died October 31, 1845 (age 29).

More About Wade Hampton and Mary Cantey:
Marriage 1: 18 July 1801, St. Matthew's Parish, Orangeburg District, South Carolina.
Marriage 2: 04 July 1801, St. Matthew's Parish, Orangeburg District, South Carolina.

Children of Wade Hampton and Mary Cantey are:
  1. +Caroline Martha Hampton, b. 12 September 1807, d. 12 December 1883.
Created with Family Tree Maker

Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009