This is the ship Sabatino "Sam" Rossi came to America on in September 1908.
The "Nord America" was built in 1882 by J.Elder & Co, Glasgow as the "Stirling Castle" for Thos Skinner & Co, London. She was a 4,826 gross ton ship, length 418.6ft x beam 50ft, two funnels, three masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 15 knots when built. Launched on 21/1/1882, she was used on the tea trade from China and was world famous for her rapid voyages. Purchased by the Italian company, La Veloce in 1883, she was fitted with accommodation for 90-1st, 100-2nd and 1,223-3rd class passengers and renamed "Nord America" but, due to her fame, was allowed to retain her original name as well. She commenced her first voyage from Genoa to South America on 13/11/1883 and in 1884 was named "Nord America" only. In 1885 she was chartered by the British government for carriage of troops to Suakin, Sudan and in 1899 was chartered to the Russian government and used as a troopship between Odessa and Vladivostock in connection with the Boxer rebellion in China. Rebuilt by Palmers Co Ltd in 1900, re-engined with less powerful engines to give a speed of 13.5knots, accommodation altered to carry 90-2nd and 1,223-3rd class only, funnels lengthened and her three masts reduced to two. On 27/5/1901 she started her first voyage between Palermo, Naples and New York and commenced her last passenger round voyage from Genoa to Naples and New York on 25/3/1908 (58 round voyages). In December 1908 she was used as an accommodation ship for survivors of the earthquake at Messina. She was then employed solely as a cargo steamer, and on 5/12/1910 while on passage from Buenos Aires with a cargo of horses, she ran aground on the Moroccan coast. She was refloated and towed to Genoa, laid up and was scrapped in 1911. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3, p.1264-1271, by N.R.P. Bonsor] [South Atlantic Seaway, p.278-279, by N.R.P. Bonsor]