Family Tree Maker Online
Navigation Bar
Prev Page Prev Item Contents Index Go to Page Home Page Next Item Next Page

Page 15 of 33



Family History: Baskin(s) Family: Central PA

Contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by Karen J. Lambertsen.
karenl@trib.com

USGENWEB NOTICE: Printing this file by non-commercial individuals
and libraries is encouraged, as long as all notices
and submitter information is included. Any other use,
including copying files to other sites requires
permission from the submitters PRIOR to uploading to
any other sites. We encourage links to the state and
county table of contents.
____________________________________________________________

THE BASKIN(S) FAMILY
Pennsylvania -- South Carolina

by
Raymond Martin Bell
Washington and Jefferson College

Washington, Pennsylvania 1975
excerpted by Karen J. Lambertsen
from an non copyrighted copy provided
her by the author.


The Juniata Settlement (Pennsylvania)

The Paxton region was purchased from the Indians and thrown open for
settlement in 1736. This was the land south of the Blue Mountains, near what is now
Harrisburg. A flood of settlers, mostly Scotch-Irish, moved in and rapidly took up
claims for land. Many did not leave a permanent record for they pushed on southwest
into the Cumberland and Shenandoah Valleys. Among the families to come were the
Baskins. The first record is of William (b c1722) who in 1744 joined a group from
Paxton, including Francis Ellis and Thomas McKee, sent to investigate the murder of
John Armstrong, an Indian trader near Mount Union. It is likely that William's
father, probably John, moved to Paxton from Chest Co about 1737. William was in the
colonial militia 1747-48 under Capt. Thomas McKee.
In 1749 the land east of the Susquehanna River and north of the Blue
Mountains was purchased from the Indians. In the 1750-51 tax list for the Narrows
of Paxton Twp, Lancaster (now Dauphin) Co are listed James, William, and Francis
Baskins. (In PA and "s" was added.) They were at the mouth of the Juniata on or
near the two large islands. Francis is listed as a trader. A probable fourth
brother, Thomas, was younger and not married. The complete list of taxables is
given: Widow Murray, Robert Armstrong, John Armstrong, Thomas Gaston, William
Forster, Thomas Clark, John McKennedy, Robert Clark, Thomas Adams, Hulbert Adams,
John Watt, William Baskins, George Well, Francis Glass, George Clark, John
Mecheltree, Francis Baskins (trader), John Clark, James Reed, James English, John
Gevins, James Baskins, Thomas McKee, John Kelton (collector), Charles Williams
(freeman), John Lee (freeman) (trader).
A deed at Harrisburg (1839) recites: "In the latter part of the year 1749
Joseph Thornton, Michael Paxton, George Clark, and Francis Baskins settled and made
improvements upon the Island called the Big Island." William Baskins settled on the
smaller, adjoining, Duncan's Island, and James Baskins on the west shore. In 1733
John Harris and in 1742 Thomas McKee had been Indian Traders on Big Island. In 1745
David Brainard, a missionary, found Conoy Indians living on Big Island. In June 1750
the white settlers on the west side of the Susquehanna were moved out by the
provincial authorities. Yet in January 1767 James Baskins said that he had settled
at the mouth of the Juniata 16 years before -- likely the fall of 1750. When the
Proprietaries had Big Island surveyed Nov 13, 1760, it was known as "Baskins
Island". In 1762 Marcus Hulings drew a map which showed where 12 families lived at
and near the mouth of the Juniata, and on the southern tip of Baskins Island was
marked "Old Conoy Town".
In 1754 the land north of the Blue Mountains and west of the Susquehanna was
purchased from the Indians. At the same time the French expansion led to George
Washington's defeat at Fort Necessity. The defeat of Braddock on July, 1755
loosened the floodgates and in a matter of weeks all had fled to Paxton which was
itself under attack by October.

Indian Wars

Previously the provincial authorities had been reluctant to do anything, but
now troops were authorized and forts were planned. Fort Hunter was already defending
the gap in the Blue Mountains through which the Susquehanna flowed. Another fort a
few miles up the river was planned at Armstrong's (now Halifax, PA). On June 7,
1756 they began to fell timber for the fort which was to be built where there was an
abundance of pine. Two hundred logs, 30 feet long, were squared. On July 1, there
was an officer with 30 men at the fort, called Fort Halifax. William Baskins
supplied 1660 feet of pine boards. The Province paid his estate 6 lb, 12, 0 for
them on April 15, 1757.
Evidently before William Baskins fled in Oct, 1755 to Fort Hunter or Paxton,
he put in a crop of wheat. In July, 1756 he returned to Duncan's Island to try to
harvest it. Indians were rather active, having challenged Fort Granville (now
Lewistown) on July 22. On July 29 the Indians came down the river and killed
William Baskins and took as prisoners his wife Mary, and his children. The next day
Fort Granville was attacked and burned by the French and the Indians. Cumberland
County and Paxton were panic-stricken. On Aug 21 the inhabitants petitioned the
authorities at Philadelphia for help.
Col. John Armstrong marched from Carlisle to Kittanning and defeated the
Indians, relieving some of the pressure. It was not safe to return to the
Juniata. It was necessary to run boats of supplies from Harris' to Fort Augusta
(Sunbury). Among the "battoe men" were Thomas Baskins and Francis Ellis 1757-58, as
well as other neighbors. By the summer of 1761 a few settlers ventured back. By
1762 there were quite a number. Francis Baskins died in the summer of 1761,
probably before he could return. So James Baskins was the only brother left,
although Francis' widow returned to Big Island, and William's widow remarried
(Francis Ellis) and lived nearby.
The outbreak of the Pontiac War in July, 1763 once more drove all the
settlers south of the Blue Mountains. Not until after Bouquet's invasion of Ohio in
the fall of 1764 did the settlers try to return. The situation is summed up in David
Ross' petition regarding Duncan's Island and in Marcus Hulings' letters:
Petition May 5, 1767. When David Ross Ren'd the land of
the Widow Basquin's...all the Buildings and fences was all Burnt, ye Place
lying six or seven years & no Person Living on it, was hard to clear when
Ross came on it as Ever it was. He hired hands & with his own
Industry cleared Fifteen Acres, Fenced it & put Grain in ye Ground, and
Builded a House on said place, and Before he received any Benefit thereof
the Indian War Broke out, he was forced to Fly, Loosing
several of his creatures which he left Behind him. Two years
he worked Day Labour to maintain his family... Needcessity doth not
make Francis Ellis Distress this poor man in the Manner he is agoing to do,
for he and his wife has two Large Farms of their own Besides the
Iand Ross lives on... William Richardson, Saml Goudy, Marcus Hulings,
James Reed, Samuel Cochran, Abraham Jones, Sarah Forster, Thos Forster,
Samuel Hunter. (Egle: Notes & Queries 1881, p 208)

Letters Fort Pitt May 7 & 17, 1762 A Place I
Emproved and lived on one Year and half...till the enemyes in the
beginning of the last Warrs drove me away ...the place called
the Onion bottom... where I lived six months before I moved to the other
place. Marcus Hulings. (Egle: Notes & Queries 1881, p 98)

James Baskins by his location at the mouth of the Juniata had an excellent
place for running a ferry. It is not know when he started it, but it is mentioned
in Jan 1767. A few miles up the Juniata another ferry was run by Andrew Stephen(s)
who may have been a brother-in-law. In 1767 the children of William and Francis
Baskins were living nearby. Two of James Baskins' daughters were married. The
oldest, Catherine Stephens, lived on Big Island.


The Indian Captives

The Pennsylvania Gazette tells us more about the William Baskins family, and
the Virginia papers copied the account. There were five Baskins children: John 11,
Moses 9, Margaret 7, Nancy 5, and a boy 3. The wife, daughter Margaret, and 3 yr
old son were captured. The other children were not with the parents or they escaped.
William's widow, Mary, was released three years later in 1759; Margaret in
1765; the boy was found living near Detroit as Timothy Murphy. The Journal of
George Croghan (PA Mag 71, 352) reads: Sept 19, 1759 Pittsburgh -- Delawares
delivered me "Mary Baskins and two white boys". This was the widow. The records of
Col. Henry Bouquet list Nov 15, 1764 -- Peggy Baskin "taken from the English Camp at
the forks of the Muskingum to Fort Pitt". This was daughter Margaret.
There are four accounts of William Baskins' death:
1. The Pennsylvania Gazette. Thursday, Aug 5, 1756.
"We have Advice from Cumberland County, that on the 22d ult about 60 Indians
appeared before Fort Granville, and challenged the Commander of it to come out and
fight them; but that he being but weak-handed, did not think proper to accept of the
Challenge; that they fired at, and wounded, one of the Men that belonged to the Fort
in the Thigh, who happened to be a little Way from it, but not so badly but that he
got safe in; that they lurked about the Place for some Time, expecting to catch some
of our People, but they being upon their Guard, were disappointed; and that then they
went off, after shooting down all the Cattle they could find.
"We hear further from the same Place, that on Thursday last twelve Indians
(Part of those that were at Fort Granville) went to the Plantation of one Baskins,
near Juniata, whom they murdered in a cruel Manner, burnt his House, and carried off
his Wife and Children; That one Hugh Carroll and Family were made Prisoners about the
same time by some Indians, who asked Carroll a great many Questions, particularly
with respect to the Strength of Harris's, Hunter's and McKee's Forts; and said they
would soon shew him a great Number of French and Indians, who, they told him, were
coming down to fall upon this Province; but that he, notwithstanding they thought
they had tied him very securely, made Shift to untie himself in the Night, and made
his Escape."
This dates it as July 29, 1756. Letters of administration in Cumberland County were
issued to James Baskins and Arthur Forster in the William Baskins estate on Aug 28,
1756.
2. Rupp's History of Dauphin and other Cos, 1846, p 338 as reported by Michael
Steever.
"At one time when Mr. William Baskins, granduncle to Cornelius and James
Baskins, having a crop of grain on what is now called Duncan's Island (having
however previously removed his family to Fort Hunter for security) returned with
part of his family to cut the grain; and while engaged, all on a sudden they were
startled by a yell or whooping of Indians, who were hard by; however, on discovering
they were neighbors, their alarms were quieted; but, alas! they were deceived; for
the barbarous savages, as soon as near enough, gave them to distinctly understand
that their object was their scalps! At this moment they all fled in consternation
hotly pursued, towards the house, and when there, Mr. Baskins, in the act of getting
his gun, was shot dead and scalped; his wife, a daughter of about seven, and a son
three years old were abducted.
"Mrs. Baskins affected her escape from the Indians somewhere near Carlisle;
the daughter was taken to the Miami country, west of the Ohio, then an unbroken
wilderness, where she was detained for more than six years, when in conformity to a
treaty made with the Indians, she was delivered up, and returned. She was
afterwards married to Mr. John Smith, whose son James is now residing in Newport,
Perry County, and to whom I am indebted for this interesting tradition. The lad who
was taken at the same time was carried to Canada, where he was raised by Sir William
Johnson, not knowing the name of the boy, when he was baptized by a missionary was
named Timothy Murphy. He was afterwards discovered by Alexander Stephens, Mr. James
Stephens' father, who resides in Juniata Township, Perry County, by some peculiar
mark on his head. He has visited his friends in Perry. James Smith, his nephew,
when at Canada in defense of his country, during the late war (1812), visited him
and found him comfortably situated near Malden in Upper Canada (Ontario), and the
owner of a large estate."
3. James Smith's daughter, Isabella, was born Feb 16, 1814. On Jan 29, 1898, she
wrote:
"Our grandmother was taken prisoner by the Indians, when seven years old,
was 14 when they got her back. Her brother was five years old, him they never
got. Their name was Baskins. Rachel Finley was her first husband's child. She was
a half-sister to your mother and my father. Agnes was Mitchell's girls mother. Mary
was your mother's name. Rachel died a maiden lady...John Smith was the youngest
brother, lived with his brother, James...in Lewistown."
4. Account given by William Baskins (b 1826) in IA in 1914, as told by his
grandfather, George Baskins (1761 - 1852), a nephew of William d 1756. In error
William of IA thought it was George's father, rather than uncle.
"When a small boy he and his brother who was almost a young man went early
one morning into the woods to hunt for their horses. Their mother had been called
to attend to a sick neighbor the night before and took the baby, a little girl, with
her. The boys heard shots fired and crept to the edge of the clearing to see their
father and the other children dragged out by Indians. All but one or two children
were killed and these were carried away captive. Their home was burned. The boys
hid in the brush and so escaped."
Women did not remain widows long on the frontier. About 1760 Mary Baskins
remarried -- a man named Findley. A William Findley is listed in William Baskins'
estate. Daughter Margaret also married (first) a Findley. Mary's second husband
must have died during the Pontiac War for on Jun 20, 1765 Mary Baskins Findley
married Francis Ellis. In 1767 the wife of Francis Ellis is called the former Widow
Baskins. In 1771 James Baskins, administrator of the William Baskins estate, entered
a judgment against Francis and Mary Ellis. Francis Ellis had a grandson, Robert
Findley Ellis. Mary died before 1784.
Mary Baskins' oldest son, John, while on an expedition to the KY-TN area,
was taken prisoner by the Kicapoos in IL in July, 1768. He was taken to Detroit and
later got to Fort Pitt. In 1774 he was in SC and in the 1780's in TN.
John Baskins, whose father was killed in 1756, was captured by the Indians
in 1768. The account is from unpublished papers in the Archives of Pennsylvania.
"Samuel Black and John Baskins -- Account of Indians when Prisoners. Monday
Evening the 26 Sept 1768 about six o'clock Saml Black and John Baskins arrived here
(Fort Pitt?) via Detroit and inform as follows viz: That having been in Company
with John Higgins and Eleven other Men in a large Bateau about 300 miles up the
Shawney River on or about the 28th of Jun they two set off about Ten Miles further
up the said River to choose proper Hunting Ground where they continued Five days and
then returned to the Place where they had left the boat and found four dead Bodies of
Men lying at the place whom they judged to be Danl Kennedy, Jas Wethen, Frederick
Myer, and John Giles. They then descended the River about 40 miles to a place where
they had left come Corn and Salt and there found a letter from Joseph Hollinshead
dated the 2d July ordering any man belonging to any of the Boats that were tout to
follow him to the Ohio whence he would delay some time. In consequence of which
they effected in 5 days the Shawney and Ohio Rivers till they reached the Cherokee
Fort which they effected in 5 days without overtaking Mr. Hollinshead or any other
boat. From the Cherokees Fort they set off for Fort Chartres but on the second day
were attacked & taken prisoners by a party of Thirty Kicapoos who carried them to
Detroit which they reached the 1st of August."
Notes: Shawney = Cumberland River; Fort Chartres = 12 mi north of Kaskaskia, Ill;
Cherokee Fort = on Ohio south of mouth of Cumberland; Black, Higgin, and Myers
appear on SC records.
This John Baskins, son of Williams, was a blacksmith in District 96, SC, in
1774 as shown by a deed at Carlisle, PA. He had cousins in this part of SC. During
the Revolution, John lived in Washington Co, TN (then NC). He is listed in court
records in 1781, 1782, & 1784. On July 12, 1783, the commissioners paid him for
Revolutionary services -- three payments totaling 16 lb, 11,8. That year he was
granted 173 acres on Onion Branch of Little Limestone Creek. He likely moved south,
for in 1791 his name is in Green Co, TN records. Here he married (secondly) Mary
Middleton on Dec 7, 1790. John was in Sevier Co in 1799; his widow was in Roane Co
1805. There is a Baskins Creek at Gatlinburg, TN. John's cousin, Susannah Baskins
Gray, lost her husband in 1781, when the Indians killed him in what is now Greene
Co, PA.
The two other children of William who were not captured by the Indians
were: Moses who died in 1777, and Nancy (Ann) whose husband died in 1777 while
serving as a Revolutionary Captain.



The Revolution

The Revolution was fought in far-away Quebec, in Massachusetts, and in New
York until July, 1777, when the Indian attacks moved close and every able-bodied man
was called into the militia. In the first group, who fought the British, were: 1776
William Baskins, Gilbert McCoy, and Thomas McCoy, who marched under Capt. Robert
Adams to Quebec, where Thomas was taken prisoner; 1777 Capt. Joseph Martin, who died
on a tour of duty.
In the second group, who fought the Indians, were: 1778 Capt. Thomas Clark:
Mitchell Baskins; 1778-79 Capt. James Clark: Isaiah Jones; 1779 Capt. Gilbert McCoy:
Mitchell Baskins, John Diven, John Smith; 1780 Capt. Matthew McCoy: Mitchell
Baskins, Cornelius Atkinson, Alexander Stephens; 1781-82 Capt. John Buchanan: John
Diven; Lt. Beatty: Mitchell Baskins, Corneluis Atkinson, John Smith, Alexander
Stephens; 1782 Capt. William Johnston: Henry Dougherty, William Baskins, John
Diven, Isaiah Jones. This group protected the settlements against Indian attacks.
Troops were stationed mainly in Northumberland, Union, Centre, and Huntindon Co.
Practically all the Baskins and the sons-in-law (listed above) were in the Service.
David Gray was in Capt. James Archer's militia company (now Greene Co, PA)
in 1782. John Baskins, son of William, served in Washington Co, TN. In later PA
militia are listed: 1786 William Baskins; 1793 Thomas Baskins, Mitchell Baskins.

Migrations

The influx of settlers into Pennsylvania put pressure on the authorities to
make more land available. The New Purchase made available in 1769 land to the
north, up the Susquehanna, in what became Northumberland Co in 1772. In 1770
Alexander Stephens, Isaiah Jones, Cornelius Atkinson, and others moved up to Turbot
Twp. Here James Baskins entered a claim for land in 1774. In the meantime,
William's oldest son, John, had gone to SC and two of Francis' daughters, Mary and
Susannah, went to southwestern PA about 1777. The estate of William Baskins was not
settled until 1770; children named were: John, Moses, Margaret, and Ann. Frances'
children were: William, Margaret, George, Mary, and Susannah.. In the summer of
1778 Indian attacks drove Stephens, Jones, and Atkinson back to the mouth of the
Juniata. Later Jones returned north.
In 1786 Alexander Stephens left for Georgia. In 1788 James Baskins died;
his will named four daughters and two sons, Mitchell and Francis, the latter an
invalid. By 1790 the only Baskins left were Mitchell and Francis' son, William.
George had joined his sisters in what is now Greene Co, PA. Robert, Thomas and John
Baskin (no s) were new arrivals near the mouth of the Juniata, coming from Ireland.
In 1793-94 Capt. John Diven had a company of 32 riflemen in the Dauphin Co militia
"who marched against the western insurgents from Dauphin Co in the autumn of
1794". George Clark was lieutenant; Gilbert McCoy and Cronelius Atkinson were
privates.
William Baskins and John Diven (who married Margaret Baskins) were
dispossessed of their land on Baskins Island and moved to Seneca Lake, Watkins Glen,
NY in 1802. This scattered the last of Francis' family. His widow had died about
1786. Of James' family, Elizabeth McCoy and Sarah Dougherty remained. The Jones'
moved north, first to Tioga Point, PA, then to Lindley, NY. In 1825 Jane Jones
lived with her son, William B Jones, in Addison, NY.
In 1813 Andrew B. Stephens came north from Georgia to visit his relatives.
He saw where Mitchell (who died in 1809) and James Baskins lay buried in the
Baskinsville graveyard (now Duncannon, PA). He visited Cousin Keziah Martin
(daughter of Corneluis Atkinson), Cousin Nehemiah Kilgore of Path Valley and Cousin
James Kilgore. Andrew B. wrote home to GA in April; in June he was a witness to
some Garrett deeds for his brother, James. Two of Mitchell Baskins's sons married
and lived nearby: James and Cornelius. The Baskins ferry was run first by James,
Sr., then Mitchell, and lastly Cornelius Baskins. A bridge had been built in 1839
so the ferry had been abandoned, but in 1865 a flood swept it away, and Cornelius
Baskins reopened the ferry, contributing to the Union war effort.
In the latter part of the 1770's a large westward movement carried many from
central and eastern PA over the mountains into southwestern PA, now Fayette, Greene,
and Washington Co. To the region now known as Richhill Twp, Greene, Co, went Mary
and Susannah, daughters of Francis Baskins, with their husbands, David and Matthew
Gray. This was before 1779. Where they settled is now know as Graysville. In 1780
they fled to Fort Jackson (Waynesburg) during an Indian uprising. While here Matthew
ventured to return to his farm, but was ambushed and killed by Indians on Mar 9,
1781. David Gray served under Cap. James Archer in 1782.
About 1790 George Baskins moved from Baskins Island at the mouth of the
Juniata to Richhill Twp, joining his sisters. About 1795 he married Rachel,
daughter of Francis Braddock. About the same time some of the Atkinsons and
Stephens came west. James, Charles, and William Atkinson were sons of the pioneer
Cornelius. Charles had married Elizabeth, daughter of Andrew Stephen (no s) (Rye
Twp 1763+). Andrew Stephen and family came west over the mountains. There were at
least four sons: Alexander, Andrew, Elijah, and John. Andrew Sr. died in 1798.
In the Washington Co militia in 1794, a number of Atkinsons and Stephens and
sons-in-law were in service under Capt. James Seal. About 1799 the Atkinsons and
Stephens moved west to Monroe Co, Ohio. Cornelius had married Mary Cross in 1758 in
Cumberland Co, PA, and they had eleven children. Their daughter Margaret married
Mitchell Baskins about 1788. In 1824 George Baskins, his four sons and son-in-law,
James Kerr, settled in North Bloomfield Twp, Morrow Co, OH. (Warren G. Harding was
born in the Twp in 1865.) George Baskins and wife Rachel are buried at Ebenezer
United Methodist Church, 4 1/2 miles south of Galion, OH. The sons moved to IA.
There are Baskin(s) Creeks in Bremer Co, IA, in Kershaw and Lancaster Co, SC, and in
Gatlinburg, TN. The Baskins pioneered in a number of states: PA, VA, SC, TN, HY,
OH, GA, IA, and others.



Baskins Families

JAMES BASKINS 1750 settled at Juniata; 1756 adm estate of William Baskins; 1761 adm
estate of Francis Baskins; 1762 on Marcus Hulings map; 1763-1788 on tax lists; 1766
warranted land; 1767 ferryman; 1774 land Northumberland Co, PA; 1780 April court;
1787 witness to deed; 1788 Jan 13 will written; 1788 Feb 11 will probated; buried in
Baskinsville (Duncannon) cemetery.
Of the three brothers James is best known. He was married about 1743. In
1750 he was on the tax list for the Narrows of Paxton. In Feb 1767 he stated that
he had been living for 16 years at the mouth of the Juniata. In 1756 he
administered William's estate; in 1761 Frances', On Dec16, 1766 he bought 100 acres
of land opposite Duncan's Island from John Reed. He received an order for 100 acres
back of the Reed tract on Oct 18, 1766. It was surveyed as 177 acres. He had a
ferry running in Jan 1767 when a petition was presented to Cumberland Co court for a
road from Baskins' ferry on Susquehanna to Andrew Stephen's ferry on Juniata, via
Frederick Watts' narrows. James' name is on tax lists beginning in 1763. When the
New Purchase was opened in 1769 James Baskins followed in 1774 with an application
for land on the north side of the Chillisquaque Middle West Branch, now Turbot Twp,
Northumberland Co. The Revolution changed his plans.
James Baskins likely attended the Dick's Gap Presbyterian church. His will
was written Jan 13, 1788 and probated Feb 11, 1788. The executors were Frederick
Watts, David Watts, & Mitchell Baskins. Witnesses were Patrick Martin, Corneluis
Atkinson, Jr, and David Watts. The will mentions daughters Elizabeth McCoy,
Catherine Stephens, Sarah Dougherty, and Jane Jones; wife Elizabeth; sons Mitchell
and Francis. Mitchell received most of the estate "subject to the maintenance of
son Francis for life". Francis, likely an invalid, died in a few years. On Jun 26,
1792 Samuel Goudy was made administrator of the estate of Elizabeth, widow of
James. She died at Goudy's house; he may have been a relative -- possibly a brother.
The inventory of James Baskins' estate shows that he was fairly
well-to-do. His stock numbered 44. In his kitchen he had 7 queensware plates. He
had an indentured servant and an apprentice. There was a ferrying flat and a
canoe. The land soon disappeared, sold by the sheriff. The settlement where James
lived was called Baskinsville (now Duncannon). He is buried on the bluff above.
His grandson, Andrew B. Stephens, wrote in 1813: I saw Aunt Baskins, Uncle
Mitchell's widow, and family, who are living about 2 miles from grandfather's old
ferry. She pointed to the place where he (Mitchell) slept alongside his father.
Land records. 1766 Aug 2 James applied for 200 acres at mouth of Juniata;
1766 Oct 28 order for 300 acres; 1766 Nov 24 caveat vs Joseph Boude; 1766 Dec 16
bought 100 acres from John Reed; 1767 Feb 24 living on land 16 years; 1770 Alexander
Stephens' land adjoined James Baskins; 1774 applied for land at head of Sinking
Spring forks in Northumberland Co.

MITCHELL BASKINS (son of James) 1778-82 in Revolution; 1780-87 taxed as freeman;
1788 in will and deed; 1790's land sold by sheriff; 1790 Census 2-1-1; 1793 militia,
1800 Census four sons, one daughter; 1809 Apr 10 died at Baskinsville. Tombstone
reads "Mitchell Baskins died Apr 10, 1809 aged 54 years, 6 months, 4 days." His
wife's reads "Margaret Baskins died Dec 9, 1814, aged 45 years, 5 months, 4 days".
Soon after the death of his father, Mitchell married Margaret who was likely the
daughter of Cornelius Atkinson, a neighbor. Their first son, James, was born Nov 9,
1789. In 1804 Mitchell Baskins helped to found the Presbyterian Church at
Duncannon. His inherited land was sold by the sheriff and taken by Frederick and
David Watts. The only Baskins left around by then were Mitchell and Robert, who
came from Ireland.

WILLIAM BASKINS 1744 on expedition; 17477-48 in militia; 1750 taxed Narrows; 1756
supplied boards to Fort Halifax; 1756 Jul 29 killed by Indians; 1762 widow listed on
Marcus Hulings map; 1766 land to heirs; 1770 settlement of estate.
William first appears on Apr 19, 1744 on the list of men who searched for
and investigated the murder of John Armstrong, and Indian trader. He was then and
likely had been living in Paxton for some time. In 1747-48 he was a member of the
militia. In 150 he appeared on the first list for the Narrows of Paxton. William
settled on the lower end of Duncan's Island, with Francis on the Big Island to the
east, and James on the Juniata shore to the west. All three were surely brothers.
In the fall of 1755 William with the others fled to Fort Hunter, but until not until
he had planted a crop of wheat on the island (this story previously related in
detail). He had also staked out claims up the Juniata River and on Little Juniata
Creek. He had improved the former and evidently considered himself a resident of
Cumberland Co.
The spring of 1756 saw the start of the erection of Fort Halifax. William
supplied 1660 feet of pine boards for the fort. It was completed in July. As
stated earlier, he was killed by what he thought were friendly Indians. His estate
was probated in Cumberland Co with James as administrator. The bond was issued to
James Baskins and Arthur Forster Aug 28, 1756. The 1762 Marcus Hulings map lists
Widow Baskins on Duncan's Island. The Ross petition says the island was unoccupied
1756-62 with all buildings and fences burned. There was no one on it 1763-65.
The name of William's wife was Mary. Since they named a son Moses, she may
have named him for her father. The only Moses in the 1750 tax lists is a Moses
Wayne. In 1762 the "Widow Baskins" applied for 200 acres including her improvement
up the Juniata. In 1766 James Baskins applied for land on Little Juniata Creek for
the William Baskins estate. The 1767 Ross petition shows that she was married by
then to Francis Ellis. Mary was probably married three times, first to William
Baskins about 1744, second to ___Findley, and third to Francis Ellis. The Rev. John
Bucher married Mary Findley and Francis Ellis on Jun 20, 1765. A William Findley is
listed in the William Baskins estate. Mary Baskins' oldest daughter married a
Findley also. In Jan 1771, James Baskins, administrator of the William Baskins
estate, entered a judgment against Francis Ellis and his wife, Mary. Mary was
likely dead when the Francis Ellis estate was settled in 1784. William
Baskins had two sons who are named in the estate settlement: John and Moses
(letters of administration in Lancaster Co Apr 25, 1777). Moses is mentioned in a
Rye Twp deed in 1774 and is assessed the same year. He lived for a time on his
father's claim along the Juniata. In 1774 John Baskins sold his share in the land
granted to his father. He was then a blacksmith of Dist. 96, SC -- now the
Abbeville region. The deed was acknowledged in Cumberland Co, showing that John had
returned to PA. He had been captured by Indians in 1768 in the south. He was in TN
as early as 1781 and was dead by 1805. A third son of William is indicated under
the section on Timothy Murphy. There were two daughters: Margaret m1 ___Findley,
m2 John Smith, and Nancy (Ann) m1 Joseph Martin, m2 Gilbert McCoy. The oldest Smith
daughter and the oldest Martin daughter were named Mary for their grandmother.
Land records. 1. Duncan's Island (or Hill's Island) -- 1762 widow shown on
Hulings map; 1764 Dec 10-11 island surveyed for Proprietaries (305 acres); 11767 May
19 David Ross claimed to have rented the island from the widow about 1762; 1805
island sold to John Reed.
2. Little Juniata Creek -- 1766 James applied for land for heirs of William
300 acres adjoining John McCoy, McCowan's path, and Dick's Mt.; 1766 Dec 16 order for
238 acres granted to heirs of William (later site of Montibello Furnace) title not
able to be traced.
3. Juniata River -- 1762 May 31 widow Baskins applied for 200 acres
including her improvements 5 or 6 miles from the mouth of the Juniata; 1774 Sep 16
John Baskins (eldest son) sold 2/5 share of this 200 acres (wrongly assumed to be
1766 grant) - Oct 4 to Hugh Miller; 1776 Mar 26 Joseph and Ann Baskins Martin sold
1/5 share to Hugh Miller; 1775 Apr 6 120 acres warrant to Hugh Miller; 1791 Mar 3 25
acres warrant to Hugh Miller (balance of 200 acres).

FRANCIS ELLIS. 1744 on expedition to investigate murder of John Armstrong; 1757-58
battoe man on Susquehanna; 1762 on Hulings map; 1765 married widow of William
Baskins; 1766-84 taxed; 1767 road viewer; 1784 adm of estate.
Francis Ellis had gone with William Baskins on the 1744 expedition; he had
been a battoe man 1757-58 with Thomas Baskins (probably a fourth brother). He is
listed as having two farms on the 1763 map. 1766-69 he paid taxes in Rye Twp;
1772-73 in Upper Paxton; 1768-70 and 1779-84 in Greenwood. Letters of
administration in his estate were granted Sept 3, 1784 to Francis Ellis, Jr in
Cumberland Co. His wife was likely dead, for in 1786 the land was sold. Francis
Ellis, Jr., a freeman in Rye Twp 1788, bought a lot in the new town of Lewistown Mar
14, 1792. On Mar 1, 1792 he had married Isabella Miller of Rye Twp. In 1800 he was
back at the island. He returned to Lewistown and after 1806 married the widow of
William Powers. Francis Ellis, Jr. died Oct 24, 1818 at Lewistown, a Revolutionary
veteran. These facts are known about him: 1793 store; 1809 tavern; 1812 butcher;
1813 house for sale; several children including Robert Finley Ellis 1797-1870.

FRANCIS BASKINS. 1749 settled on Big Island; 1750 taxed as trader; 1756 mentioned
in estate of William; 1761 Aug 31 estate administered; 1762 on Hulings map; 1769-86
widow taxed.
Francis Baskins settled on Big Island in 1749 -- the year it was opened for
settlement. The first assessment in 1750 shows Francis as a trader, surely living
on the lower end of Big Island -- known in 1760 as Baskins Island. This was the
site of an old Conoy Indian town. As an Indian trader Francis likely knew many of
the Indians who traveled up and down the rivers. The lower end of Big Island was a
strategic location, being at the junction of the rivers.
In the fall of 1755 everyone fled to Fort Hunter and the Paxton region.
Francis is listed as receiving 1 lb, 15, 6 from and then paying 9 lb, 6, 0 to James
Baskins, administrator of William's estate. In the summer of 1761 Francis Baskins
died. This was just about the time the settlers started to return. James Baskins
was appointed administrator by the Lancaster Co court, since Big Island was in that
county. The 1762 Hulings map was made at Fort Pitt and Hulings did not know that
Francis had died.
The inventory of Francis Baskins was filed Nov 30, 1761 and lists only his
improvement, valued at 80 lb. The inventory contains an incorrect statement: The
goods and chattels "as they were equally divided amongst the children at the decease
of his widow" is the term used. It must mean as "they are to be divided", for the
widow is taxed for land on Big Island as late as 1786. In 1787 her name is
scratched out and the land divided between William and George. When the sheriff
sold George's interest, it is described as an undivided third. The third interest
was held by Margaret Baskins Diven. John Diven and William Baskins are listed
together in a number of places. The tax lists show Widow 1769-70 and 1779-86 and
Francis 1771-75. The assessor knew the land had belonged to Francis. There were
two other daughters: Mary and Susannah. They married Grey brothers and moved to
Greene Co, PA.
The given name of Francis' widow is not known; it may have been Susannah.
She was likely a daughter of George Clark, Sr., who is on the 1750 assessment. The
William Baskins inventory of 1756 mentions George Clark, Jr. George Clark is listed
on the 1762 map. He was dead in 1770. George Clark, William Baskins, and John Diven
lived on the lower part of Big Island in 1799. Francis' son, George, was a new name
in the Baskins family. The name Clark is a given name in the descendants of George
and William Baskins. The name Francis may have come from a maternal grandfather; it
is not found in the SC branch.
Mary and Susannah were likely daughters of Francis. Mary, born c 1754,
married c 1774 David Gray (d 1822), and died 1825. They moved to Richhill Twp,
Greene Co, PA before 1779, where David was a judge from 1796 to 1822. Susannah, b
1756, married c 1775 Matthew Gray, brother of David, and died 1837. Their oldest
son, William was born Sept 20, 1776. Matthew went to Greene Co and was killed by
Indians Mar 9, 1781, three miles west of Fort Jackson, now Waynesburg. A third
brother, John Gray, was born Jan 18, 1762, near Carlisle, went west in 1779 and died
Aug 19, 1834 in Greene Co. All three Grays served in the Revolution. Susannah
Baskins gray m2 John Holden.
Land records. 1749 150 acres improvement on Big Island (now Haldeman's Island);
1760 Nov 13 Baskins Island surveyed for Proprietaries - 677 acres; 1761 Nov 30
valued at 80 lb.; 1762 on Hulings map; 1770 Alexander Stephens sold claim to part of
Big Island, adjoining James Baskins, Francis Baskins, & Widow Clark; 1787 William and
George assessed for land on island; 1789 Aug George sold his share to 150 acres
improvement by his decease3d father Francis; 1791 Dec 20 sheriff sold one undivided
third of tract on Baskins Island owned by George; 1799 William Baskins, John Diven,
and George Clark living on lower part of Island; 1799 Baskins Island (677 acres)
sold to Thomas Duncan; 1822 William Baskins and John Diven sold their interest in
Big or Baskins Island; 1834 sheriff sold island as property to Thomas Duncan to
Jacob Haldeman.

WILLIAM BASKINS (son of Francis) of New York. 1772-73 freeman, Rye Twp; 1776-82 in
Revolution; 1786 in militia; 1787-1802 taxed in PA; 1787 sold 197 acres; 1790 Census
1-1-2; 1799 on Big Island; 1800 Census 1 son, 4 daughters; 1801 witness to John Smith
will; 1802 to NY state; 1818 Presbyterian elder; 1822 sold interest in Big Island; c
1832 died at Watkins Glen.
William Baskins was born about 1750; his father died in 1761. His mother
returned to Big Island and died about 1786. William was a freeman, single over 21
in 1773 in Rye Twp, Cumberland Co. He was a private in the Revolution. On Feb 13,
1776 he and Gilbert McCoy enlisted in Capt. Robert Adams' company for one year.
They marched from the Juniata to Quebec where Adams was killed and Ensign Thomas
McCoy was taken prisoner. In 1782 William, together with George Clark and John
Diven, served in Capt. William Johnston's company. About 1785 William married
Catharine Armstrong, a neighbor; their oldest son, Armstrong Baskins, was born in
1786. William and Catharine gave a deed Mar 23, 1787 for land Catharine had taken
up on Armstrong's Creek -- 197 acres -- a tract called Indian Bottom. John Diven
and James Baskins were witnesses to the deed.
William's name appears on the tax lists 1787-1802. Apparently he always
lived on Big Island for in 1799 he, with George Clark and John Diven, are listed on
the Island. John Diven had married William's sister, Margaret, in 1782. In 1802
William Baskins and John Diven pulled up stakes and headed north, leaving their
homes on the Susquehanna. They stopped at Elmira, NY, and Montour Falls, finally
ending at what is now Watkins Glen, NY -- town of Dix, Schuyler Co -- then town of
Catharine, Tioga Co. They found several white families in this pioneer settlement,
a number of Indians, plus wild cats, panthers, foxes, wolves, deer, and bears. This
account was related by William's son, Clark Baskins, and is taken from the 1879
History of Schuyler and other Cos. On Sep 8, 1818 the Presbyterian Church at
Watkins Glen was organized with William and Catharine Baskins, John and Eleanor
Diven, Mrs. Jane Baskins, and Miss Elizabeth Diven among the founders. William
Baskins was an elder. John Diven Sr. became an elder in 1821. In 1822 William and
Diven sold their interest in Big Island. Margaret Baskins Diven had died in PA Oct
9, 1799. William was living in 1830; his death date is not known.

GEORGE BASKINS (son of Francis) of OH. 1783 signed petition; 1787-89 taxed; 1789
sold interest in Big Island; 1791 sheriff sold land; 1790's to Greene Co, PA; 1824
to Morrow Co, OH; 1852 died south of Galion, OH.
George Baskins was born in Jun 1761, a few weeks before his father died. He
lived on Big Island until about 1791 when his interest in the land was sold by the
sheriff to satisfy a debt. He moved about this time to Richhill Twp, Greene Co, PA,
where two of his sisters lived. Here he warranted 75 acres May 6, 1794 and married
Rachel Braddock, daughter of Francis and Elizabeth Martin Braddock. He may have
served as an Indian scout under Anthony Wayne. In 1804 he bought 432 acres in
Richhill Twp. In 1824 he moved to North Bloomfield Twp, Morrow Co, OH. He and
James Kerr, son-in-law, traveled in wagons and settled in an unbroken forest.
History of Morrow Co, Ohio 1880, p 392. George died here in 1852. He and his wife
(d 1848) are buried in the Ebenezer United Methodist Churchyard, 4 1/2 miles south
of Galion, OH on Hwy 19. They had a number of children, including sons Francis,
Abner, William, and George. A Methodist society was organized at Kerr's 1835-36.
On Dec 23, 1845, George, his wife Rachel, and son Francis sold land for Ebenezer
Church. By 1855 all the sons had gone west. Abner left OH May 27, 1852, four weeks
before his father died. He arrived in Bremer Co, IA Jun 22, traveling with teams.
His first home was a log cabin covered with clapboards, with a puncheon floor. Son
William went to Missouri.

JOHN DIVEN 1779-82 in Revolution; 1779-82 freeman in Tyrone Twp; 1782 married
Margaret Baskins; 1784 signed petition; 1787 witness to deed; 1790 Census 2-2-3;
1793-94 militia captain; 1794 deed, carpenter; 1799 on Big Island; 1800-02 deeds;
1801 witness to Smith will; 1802 to NY state; 1818 founder, Presbyterian church;
1821 elder in church; 1822 sold interest in Big Island; 1823 postmaster; 1842 died,
Watkins Glen, NY.
John Diven was born in 1757, probably at Carlisle. His father, Alexander
Diven, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, had gone from York Co, PA and taken up
195 acres in Tyrone (now Spring) Twp, Perry Co in 1755 --the year the land office
opened. By Oct 1755 Indian attacks had driven the settlers south to Carlisle. They
did not return until about 1765.
His son said of John Diven, "He was a private in the company of PA
Volunteers. His captain, name as I remember it, was Kelly, a cabinet-maker with a
number of apprentices, among them my father. (Robert Kelly lived in Tyrone Twp as
early as 1763, dying in 1790.) Kelly influenced his apprentices to enlist. My
father was at the Battle of Princeton (Jan 1777) and in camp at Valley Forge, and
his term of enlistment expired about the time of the breaking camp at the latter
place. I remember his statements of his hardships and the cold at Valley Forge; of
guarding the Hessian prisoners at Princeton, and their terror from the idea that
they were to be shot; of a pathetic scene at a review by Washington of the troops at
Valley Forge."
John Diven is listed as a private in the Cumberland Co militia 1779-82. On
Jan 10, 1782 John Diven of Centre Church and Margaret Baskins (daughter of Francis)
of Susquehanna were married by the Rev. John Linn. They settled on Big (or Baskins)
Island, where Margaret's father had first settled in 1749. John was a carpenter,
according to a 1794 deed. In 1793-94 he was Captain of a company of riflemen in the
Dauphin Co militia. Margaret died in 1799 and John M2 Eleanor Means. In 1802 John
Diven and his one-time brother-in-law, William Baskins, moved north to what is now
Watkins Glen, NY. On Jun 14, 1802 Diven bought 100 acres; in 1816 50 more. He was
a founder (1818) and elder (1821) in the Presbyterian church. In 1823 he was
postmaster. He died in 1842. His grave, in the County Line Cemetery one mile west
of Watkins Glen, is marked by a monument, "Capt. John Diven, a soldier of the
Revolution, died Sep 23, 1842, in his 86th year." A son by his second marriage was
Alexander S. Diven (1809-1896), whose biography is found in the Dictionary of
American Biography. He was a lawyer in Elmira, a member of the NY Senate, and of
the US Congress. He was a general in the Civil War and a magnate in the Erie
Railroad.
Alexander Diven, father of John, died between 1757 and 1763. His wife was
Margaret Smith. In 1766 she was wife of William? Nelson and in 1800 wife of James?
McCurdy. The children of Alexander and Mary were: 1. Mary m John Glenn, Mercer Co,
PA; 2. James m Nancy Waddell, Perry Co, PA, who had 5 daughters and 5 sons:
Alexander, James, John, William, Joseph; 3. William m Mary, Carlisle; 4. Joseph m
Elizabeth, Mercer Co, whose sons were Alexander, Joseph, and James; 5. Jane m1
___McCurdy, whose daughter Mary m George Long, m2 Alexander McCoy, KY and had
children William, John, Elizabeth, and Mary; 6. John m2 Oct 1800 Eleanor Means,
daughter of John & Elizabeth Clark Means; John & Eleanor's children: a. Alexander b
Sep 12, 1802 d Apr 11, 1808. b. Elizabeth b Feb 13, 1805 d Mar 27, 1898, single. c.
Eleanor b Apr 11, 1807 m Daniel Washburn. d. Alexander Samuel b Feb 10, 1809 d Jan
11, 1896. e. Charlotte b Nov 15, 1811 d Dec 12, 1894, single.

TIMOTHY MURPHY of Ontario. One of the most interesting chapters in the Baskins
history is that of Timothy Murphy, son of William Baskins. The details of his
abduction by Indians in 1756 have already been related. Apparently he was taken by
a different tribe and carried to the Detroit area where he was ransomed by a British
officer or trader. Most of the Smith account appears to be correct, except that Sire
William Johnson (1715-1774) did not live in Canada. He lived in eastern NY.
However, he visited Detroit in 1761 and had dealings with Indians. Alexander
Stephens, who discovered Timothy Murphy, had lived as an Indian trader among the
Shawnee Indians for a number of years. From 1758 for several years he traveled in
western PA. He would have had a very good chance of locating Baskins. He moved to
GA about 1786 and was the grandfather of Alexander H. Stephens, Vice-president of
the Confederacy under Jefferson Davis.
There is also a connection with James Smith. In 1814 James Smith was a Sgt
under Capt James Piper, 1st Brigade, 7th Division, Cumberland Co at which time Perry
was a part of Cumberland Co. The American troops during the War of 1812 occupied the
Fort Malden area. The family Bibly of James Smith records: "James Smith was born
Apr 4, 1777 in Cumberland Co on the Bank of the Juniata on the Farm then Belonging
to Andrew Stephens, Sr." James married Mary Clark Jun 5, 1800. They lived first at
Lewistown, later at Newport. A search of Michigan and Ontario records shows that
Timothy Murphy lived near Malden as early as 1787, and died in the Township of
Sandwich, County of Essex, Ontario, on May 4, 1840. If 3 years old when captured in
1756, he died at age 87. His wife, Eleanor Fields Murphy, died the winter of
1844-45. (This Timothy Murphy should not be confused with another Timothy Murphy
(1751-1818), the hero of the Battle of Saratoga.) The Indians released him after
the British took over Detroit. He was brought up as a British subject. When the
British gave up Detroit he moved into Canada. Before 1809 h married Eleanor
Fields. Murphy was a blacksmith, as wash his brother, John, of SC. Was this a
coincidence? Did they meet when John was in Detroit in 1768?
The documentary record of Timothy Murphy is as follows: 1763 in Detroit,
given by French to British; 1787 blacksmith at Fort Michilimackinac, now Macinac,
MI; 1790 mentioned in a letter; 1796 Detroit and Michilimackinac ceded to US; 1796
Dec 25 Murphy, then of Detroit, appointed blacksmith for Indian Dept of Amherstburg;
1796 spring, bought farm in Essex, Co; 1797 Dec 24 reappointed blacksmith; 1798
summer, resigned as blacksmith; 1809 Apr 4 Timothy and Eleanor Murphy witness at
baptism of son of Frederick Fisher, Indian dept employee; 1810 Apr 1 witness at
marriage of George Ironside of Indian Dept to Isabella, an Indian and sister of
Tecumseh (St. John's Anglican Parish); 1812-13 taxed at Malden; 1813-15 Malden
occupied by Americans; 1815 Jun 15 Murphy, from age and long services, no longer
able to repair the arms of the Indians; 1819 Murphy, a resident of the Petit Cote,
south side of Detroit River, saw two British soldiers desert to an American ship in
the Detroit River; 1840 will written Apr 9, everything to wife, Indian witnesses;
1844 died May 4;
1844 Dec 18 Eleanor Murphy in will left her property to her brother, James Fields
and his children -- 1000 acres in farmland, lot and house on Bedford St., Sandwich,
now Windsor.

THE DESCENDANTS OF JAMES, WILLIAM, AND FRANCIS
BASKINS

JOHN BASKINS b Ireland c1695; to East Nottingham Twp, Chester Co, PA c 1735; likely
to Paxton Twp, now Dauphin Co, PA 1737; probably died there; probable children
1. JAMES BASKINS b c 1720 Ireland, d Jan 1788 now Penn Twp,
Perry CO, PA, then Rye Twp, Cumberland Co; m c1743 Elizabeth
Mitchell?? b c 1722, d Jan 1792 at Samuel Goudy's; James
settled at mouth of Juniata River in 1750
a. Catherine Baskins b c 1744 (see O)
b. Sarah Baskins b c 1746, d c 1815 PA, m Dec 20, 1765 Henry
Dougherty; in Upper Paxton (now Middle Paxton) Twp 1780-
82.
c. Jane Baskins b c 1748 (see P)
d. Elizabeth Baskins b c 1750 (see Q)
e. Francis Baskins b c1752 d c1805 no issue
f. Mitchell Baskins b Oct 6, 1754 (see R)
2. WILLIAM BASKINS b c1722, d Jul 29, 1756, killed by Indians
at mouth of Juniata; m c1744 Mary ____ d before 1784 (she
m2 Findley, m3 June 20, 1765 Francis Ellis)
a. John Baskins b c1745 (see S)
b. Moses Baskins b c1747 d 1777 Paxton Twp, m Eunice?
Richardson?
c. Margaret Baskins b c1749 (see T)
d. Ann (Nancy) Baskins b c1751 (see U)
e. son b c1753, captured by Indians, baptized near Detroit as
Timothy Murphy, d May 4, 1840 Sandwich Twp, Essex Co,
Ontario; m Eleanor Fields, d 1844, no issue
3. FRANCIS BASKINS b c1726, d Aug 1761 Paxton Twp; m c1749 Susannah? Clark b c1729,
d 1787.
a. William Baskins b c1750 (see V)
b. Mary Baskins b c1754 (see W)
c. Susannah Baskins b c1756 (see X)
d. Margaret Baskins b c1758 (see Y)
e. George Baskins b Jun 12, 1761 (see Z)
4. THOMAS BASKINS b c1730; battoe man with Francis Ellis
1758; no further record
5. ?Daughter BASKINS b c1734, m c1755 Andrew? Stephen,
ferryman, d. 1798 Greene Co, PA

O. CATHERINE BASKINS b c1744; d 1794 Wilkes Co, GA; 1786
to GA; 1765 m Alexander Stephens b 1727 d Mar 15, 1814
Talliaferro Co, GA
1. Jane Stephens b c1766, d 1806-13 GA; single
2. James Stephens b Mar 27, 1767; d Mar 23, 1849, Perry
Co, PA; m c1800 Elizabeth Garrett b 1775, d Jun 3, 1859
(daughter of Robert and Jane McCoy Garrett); buried at
Siloam Cemetery, west of Duncannon, PA
a. Alexander Stephens b 1802 m1 Mary Cathel, m2 Mary
Watson
b. Robert Garrett Stephens b Oct 4, 1804 d Feb 2, 1881
Indiana Co, PA, m Martha Monroe Jones
c. Sarah Stephens b 1806 d 1869; m Joseph White
d. William L Stephens b 1808 m1 Jane Cameron, m2
Margaret Elliott
e. Catherine Stephens b c1810 m John Hearst
f. James Stephens b 1812 d 1861 m Uphaniah Garrett
g. Jane Stephens b c1814 m Robert Garrett
h. Andrew Stephens b Feb 4 1816, d Oct 19, 1892 Newport
PA, m Agnes Garrett
i. Elizabeth Stephens b 1820 d 1895 m Hugh Latta
3. Sarah Stephens b c1769, m c1789 Francis Coulter (son of
Richard Coulter Jr who went from Rye Twp to Wilkes Co
GA 1783), d Smith Co, TN; 1800 in Blount Co, TN
a. Charles
b. Sarah
c. Francis
d. Richard
e. Alexander
f. Jane
4. Elizabeth Stephens b c1771, m c1791 Richard Coulter III;
in Blount Co, TN 1817
a. Alexander S
b. John W.
c. Mary
d. James
e. Nancy
f. Andrew
5. Mary Stephens b c1774, m ___Jones, GA
a. Sabra m Ray, d Jun 1854
b. Andrew
c. Micajah
6. Catherine Stephens b c1776, m ___Hudgins
7. Nehemiah Stephens b c1780; in Sevier Co, TN 1830
a. Andrew
8. Andrew Baskins Stephens b Jul 12, 1782, Perry Co, PA
d May 7, 1826 Taliaferro Co, GA; m1 Jul 12, 1806 Margaret
Grier b 1787, d May 12, 1812 (daughter of Aaron and
Jane Grier)
a. Mary Stephens b c1807, d c1825, m Elbert Darden
b. Aaron Grier Stephens b 1810, d 1843, m Sarah Ann Slaton
c. Alexander Hamilton Stephens, b Feb 11, 1812 near Craw-
fordville, GA; d Mar 4, 1883 Atlanta, GA, never married;
Vice-president CSA 1861-65
m2 1814 Matilda Marbury Somerville Lindsay b 1789,
d May 14, 1826 (daughter of John and Clarissa Bullock
Lindsay)
d. John Lindsay Stephens b Jan 28, 1815, d 1856, m Mary
Elizabeth Booker
e. Catherine Baskins Stephens b 1816, d 1856, m Thomas
Greer
f. Andrew Baskins Stephens b c1819, d Sep 1823
g. Benjamin Bullock Stephens b c1821, d Sep 1823
h. Linton Stephens b Jul 1, 1823, d Jul 14, 1872 Sparta, GA
m1 Emmeline Thomas Bell, m2 Mary Salter
P. JANE BASKINS b c1748, d c1828 Addison, NY; m 1769
Isaiah Jones b 1747, d Feb 2, 1821 Steuben Co, NY
1. Jane Jones m Benjamin Patterson
2. Isaiah Joel Adams Jones, never married
3. Susan Jones m Marce Hammond
4. Sarah Jones m Thomas Mayberry
5. William Baskins Jones b Jan 16, 1780 at mouth of Juniata
d Sep 1, 1850 Addison NY; m c1799 Catherine S Swartwood
b Feb 26, 1781, d Dec 23, 1843 (daughter of James and
Martha Swartwood)
a. Martha M. Jones, died young
b. Ann Matilda Jones b Dec 26, 1801, d Apr 25, 1864;
m John Cherry
c. John Richardson Jones m Polly Young
d. James Baskins Jones b Apr 22, 1806, d May 24, 1844
e. Isaiah Joel Adams Jones m Phebe b 1818, d 1845
f. Jane Eliza Jones
g. Helen Charlotte Jones
h. Martha Mariah Jones m Arthur Erwin
i. Horatio Ross Jones m Mary Nile
j. Llewellyn Apgriffith Jones m Elizabeth B Grass
k. Henry Shriver Jones m Mary Atherton
l. Catherine Amanda Jones m Edward H. Buck
m. Joseph Jones, died young
6. James E Jones d Nov 12, 1830 Addison, NY; m Sarah
Orcutt b 1797, d Nov 12, 1863
a. William B. Jones m Jane Emerson
b. James E. Jones m Mary Steele
c. Lydia Jones m Henry J. Hoyt
d. Adelia Adelaide Jones b July 25, 1827; m Charles
Henry Edwards
e. Matilda Jones m James S. Reynolds, Jr.
7. Mary A Jones b c1786; d c1864; m James E Swartwood
b Jun 15, 1783, d before 1855.
a. Jane Swartwood m Edsel Jones
b. Jacob Swartwood m Mattie Stephens
c. Israel Swartwood
d. Robert Swartwood
e. Henry B Swartwood m Cynthia Treadwell
f. Erasmus Derr Swartwood m Louisa Moore
g. Mary Swartwood m Amasa Dickey
h. Julia A Swartwood m Milton E Crane
8. Robert Lettus Hooper Adam Jones b 1789, m Jane
Crawford b 1798; eight children including Baskin
Crawford Jones
9. Llewellyn Apgriffith Jones b 1793, d Aug 14, 1871,
m R. Miles
Q. ELIZABETH BASKINS b c1750, d c1800 PA, m c1768
Thomas McCoy
1. Mary McCoy b 1769 d Monroe Co, OH, m William
Atkinson b c1762, d after 1840
a. Cornelius Atkinson b 1788, d 1847, m Mary Johnson
b. Elizabeth Atkinson b 1790, d 1849, m Reuben Sturgeon
c. James Atkinson m Sarah Atkinson
d. Jane Atkinson m James Skipton
e. Charles Atkinson b 1796, d Jul 1880 Marietta OH
m1 Jane Templeton, m2 Theda Patterson, m3
____Henthorn
f. Maria Atkinson m John Smith
g. Rebecca Atkinson m Eli Anderson
h. William Atkinson, Jr, b Mar 13, 1806, d Mar 31, 1832
near Clarington, OH; m Maria Baldwin
i. Thomas Atkinson b 1809, d 1840, m Elizabeth Brown
2. John McCoy
`
a. Nancy
b. James
c. Mary
d. Elizabeth
e. Margaret
3. Gilbert McCoy b 1775, d 1857, m Mary Atkinson b 1789
d 1849 Monroe Co, OH
4. William McCoy
5. Mitchell McCoy m Keziah Atkinson b 1788
R. MITCHELL BASKINS b Oct 6, 1754, d Apr 10, 1809 at mouth
of Juniata; m 1788 Margaret Atkinson b Jul 5, 1769, d Dec 9,
1814 (daughter of Cornelius Atkinson & Mary Cross)
1. James Baskins b Nov 9, 1789 d Sep 4, 1848 Perry Co, PA,
m Apr 10, 1810 Rachel Leonard b Apr 29, 1790, d Jun 13,
1853




Page 15 of 33

Prev Page Prev Item Contents Index Go to Page Home Page Next Item Next Page


Home | Help | About Us | Biography.com | HistoryChannel.com | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009 Ancestry.com