Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals |InterneTree |Sources

View Tree for Colonel Thomas GrosvenorColonel Thomas Grosvenor (b. September 20, 1744, d. July 11, 1825)

Thomas Grosvenor (son of John Grosvenor) was born September 20, 1744 in Pomfret Windham Co MA, and died July 11, 1825 in Pomfret Windham Co MA.

 Includes NotesNotes for Thomas Grosvenor:
ANN MUMFORD June 26, 1785 in Newport, Newport, Rhoad Island; TRINITY CHURCH, daughter of PETER MUMFORD and ABIGAIL MARTIN.


Colonel Thomas Grosvenor, son of Captain John Grosvenor, was born at Pomfret, September 20, 1744, died in 1825. He graduated at Yale in 1765. Judge Theodore Sedgwick, of Massachusetts, was a classmate. Grosvenor established himself in the practice of law at Pomfret.
When Connecticut raised and officered the first seven regiments for the relief of Massachusetts in the Revolution, Grosvenor was commissioned second lieutenant of the Third Regiment, under Colonel Israel Putnam and Lieutenant-Colonel Experience Storrs, of Mansfield. The minute-men followed Putnam to Cambridge and the old red house where the company assembled on the morning of their departure, April 23, 1775, is still standing. On the evening of June 16, 1775, Lieutenant Grosvenor was detailed with thirty-one men drafted from his company to march to Charlestown under Captain Thomas Knowlton, of Ashford and with about a hundred others of the same regiment were stationed before noon next day at the rail fence on the left the breastworks on Breed's Hill (commonly known as Bunker Hill) and extending thence to Mystic river. The whole force was under the command of Knowlton. When the British attack was made, a column under General Pigott was directed against the redoubt and another under General Howe advanced against the rail fence. Captain Dana relates that he, Sergeant Fuller and Lieutenant Grosvenor were the first to fire. When at the third attack the British burst through the American line at the left of the redoubt, Captain Knowlton, Chester and Clark, clung persistently to the position near the Mystic, though separated from the main body of provincials, and eventually protected the retreat of the men who were in the redoubt, fighting, according to the report of the Massachusetts Committee of Safety, with the utmost bravery, and keeping the British from advancing further than the breach until the main body had left the hill. Colonel Grosvenor related in a letter to Daniel Putnam, Apr 30, 1818, respecting General Dearborn's charges against the behavior of General Putnam at Bunker Hill, that his command of thirty men and one subaltern lost eleven killed or wounded. "Among the latter was myself, though not so severely as to prevent my retiring." At Winter Hill, where entrenchments had been thrown up by the Connecticut troops, the Provincials made their last stand. Colonel Grosvenor carried a musket and used to relate that he fired his nine cartridges the same precision of aim as if fox hunting and saw a man fall after each shot. His wound was caused by a musket through the hand. Before striking his hand it had passed through the rail and it passed through the butt of his musket after piercing his hand and finally bruised his breast. He bound up his hand with a white cravat and remained on until after the battle. This incident immortalized in Trumbull's painting of the battle of Bunker Hill. The commanding figure in the foreground was intended to represent Lieutenant Grosvenor accompanied by his colored servant.
On the arrival of the American army in New York, May, 1776, General Washington organized a battalion of light troops from the volunteer regiments of New England and Thomas Grosvenor commanded one of the companies under Colonel Thomas Knowlton. The Knowlton Rangers, as they were called, took part in the battle of Long Island, in the fight at Harlem, in that near McGowan's Pass, where Knowlton was killed. The silk sash of Colonel Knowlton, which had been presented to him by the town of Boston, is preserved in the family of the youngest daughter of Colonel Grosvenor, Hannah. Captain Brown, who succeeded Knowlton, fell in the defense of Fort Mifflin in November, 1777. Colonel Grosvenor was in the battle of White Plains, October 28, 1776, and was captain in Durkee's regiment in the battles of Trenton, Trenton Bridge and Princeton, and wintered at Valley Forge. He was captain in Colonel Wyllis's regiment and was with him at the capture of Ticonderoga, May 10, 1776. He was commissioned February 6, 1777, major in that regiment.
During the winter at Valley Forge he belonged to Huntington's brigade, which took part in the battles of Germantown, Brandywine and in the movements at White Marsh and Chestnut hill, from November 23 to December 22, 1777, and down to the encampment at Valley Forge. He was commissioned lieutenant-colonel, March 13, 1778, in Colonel Durkee's regiment, and marched to Monmouth, where June 28, 1778, a battle was fought that decided the fate of Washington. His regiment was in the advance under Lafayette and was ranged upon the heights behind the causeway after Lee's retreat. Colonel Grosvenor was also in General Sullivan's expedition against the Seneca Indians in the summer and autumn of 1779. On May 22, 1779, he was appointed, and July 11 following was commissioned as sub-inspector of the army under Baron Steuben. He was commissioned an inspector, January 1, 1781. On the death of Colonel Durkee, May 29, 1782, he was appointed lieutenant-colonel of the First Connecticut Regiment and continued in that command until January 1, 1783, when the Connecticut regiments were consolidated under act of Congress of August 7, 1782. He was also assistant adjutant-general of the Connecticut Line, as his orderly books show. After January 1, 1783, Colonel Grosvenor returned to Pomfret and resumed the practice of law.
He married Ann, youngest daughter of Captain Peter and Abigail (Martin)Mumford.For more than twenty years after his marriage Colonel Grosvenor was a member of the Governor's Council in Connecticut, and for a still longer period chief justice of the Court of Common Pleas for Windham county and judge of probate for his district. The diploma signed by Washington constituting him a member of the Order of Cincinnati, now in the possession of Bertram G. Goodhue, hung until 1891 in the hall of the mansion house which he built at Pomfret and in which he died. The raising of the frame of that house was an occasion of festivity and many were the recipients of his bounty at that time. It is said that a young Mohegan Indian danced upon the ridge pole as part of the celebration. The house was always open to the chance visitor and for many years was a refuge for the remnants of Indian tribes that still lingered in Connecticut, as well as other unfortunates. Among them were the venerable Indians, Joshua Senseman and his wife, and brother Isaac.
Soon after the death of his second son, Colonel Grosvenor joined the Congregational church at Pomfret. No man was more venerated and respected by his townsmen. He refused a pension. He died July 11, 1825. His wife died June 11, 1820, and both are buried in the little burying ground in Pomfret, where monuments have been erected to their memory. Children: Thomas Mumford, married Charlotte Lee; Ann, married Henry King: Peter, died young; Major Peter, was in the war of 1812, married Ann Chase, had four sons, who with five sons of his brother, Thomas Mumford, fought in the Civil War and of the nine five were killed.
John H., was consul of the United States at Canton, China, died unmarried in New York City, January 3, 1848; Hannah, married Edward Eldredge.

The New York Historical Society Collections, 1914.Lt. Col. 3rd.Connecticut Regt. July 4th 1780 and Aug. 11, 1780."Folklore and Firesides of Pomfret, Hampton and Vicinity" by Susan Jewett Griggs (1950) pp 37, 38. Thomas Grosvenor served as lieutenant under Captain Brown during the Revolutionary War. At the battle of Bunker Hill, although wounded in the right hand (which he bound with a white cravat) he continued to lead his company into battle, holding his sword in his left hand, despite the efforts of his Negro servant to draw him from the field. This scene, painted by the artist John Trumbull, hangs on a wall at Yale University. Colonel Grosvenor saw seven years of toil and privation, attached to Washington's main army. He was with General Washington in the famed crossing of the Delaware. In 1780 he broke ground at West Point and began the fort that is now the site of West Point Academy. At the end of the war, He resumed his law practice, and served on the Governor's Council. He was in high repute throughout the state-ever the friend of soldiers, Indians, and all who needed counsel. When Washington made his trip to Boston in 1789, he passed through Pomfret, and dined with Col. Grosvenor. It is usually said that Washington was entertained at the Thomas Grosvenor Mansion (now the Rectory School), but when we consider that Washington made his visit to Pomfret two years before the house was completed, the tradition is confirmed that the Commander-in-Chief actually stopped at the Harrison House which would appear to have been the home of Thomas Grosvenor before the erection of his mansion in 1792. Entered the army as Lieut; was wounded at Bunker Hill; captain Continental infantry, 1776; major, 1777; lieutenant colonel, 1778, and retired, 1783, as Lieut colonel commandant. Served through the war and was a member of the Society of the Cincinnati. (DAR Lineage Book) In 1765 Thomas graduated from Yale. He listed in the 1790 Conn, census. He practiced law at Pomfret. The painter John Trumbull painted him in the battle of Bunker Hill, the painting titled "The Death of General Warren at the Battle of Bunker's Hill" the painting is hung in the Yale University of Fine Arts. History of Hocking Valley (1883) p347.
Thomas Grosvenor, served on the personal staff of General Washington during the Revolutionary War, with the rank of Colonel. He was afterward Judge of the Circuit Court of Connecticut. Connecticut Pensioners of 1835 p78. County: Windham. Rank: Lieutenant colonel. Annual Allowance: 240.00. Sums Received: 394.23. Description of service: Connecticut line. When placed on pension: August 6, 1818. Commencement of pension: July 14, 1817. Age: 74.

Created with Family Tree Maker

Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009