|The CAT HARBOUR CORNER Home page contains information on the ancestors of Rex Gibbons and his wife, Marge Stagg, and related family names from the Bonavista Bay region of northeastern Newfoundland. Rex's grandparents were GIBBONS (Cat Harbour, now Lumsden), VINCENT (Cape Island), STRATTON (Greenspond; Valleyfield), and MEADUS (Greenspond). Other direct ancestors on Rex's side include: CARTER, STARKES, SMITH, STREET, BARNES, RID(E)OUT, KNEE, HUTCHINGS, ROBERTS, BUNDLE (DURDLE?), SHEPPARD, MILLER, MELENDY, PARSONS, DAVIS, FELTHAM, WHITE, BLACKMORE, GILL, and OSMOND. Marge's grandparents were STAGG (Cape Freels), GOODYEAR (Cat Harbour / Lumsden), VINCENT (Cape Island), and GREEN (Newtown). Other direct ancestors on Marge's side include: ANDREWS, STOKES, HANN (HAND), YOUNG, PINSENT, WELLON, WEYLAN (WHALEN or WHELAN), MacBETH, GOFFE, TOOPE, and SHEPPARD. These families date back to the 1700's and early 1800's in this region. The original settlers were primarily from southern England, including Dorset (e.g. Bradford Abbas), Hampshire (Christchurch), Somerset (Galhampton), etc. Many of the other family names from this part of Newfoundland also appear in the Cat Harbour Corner. Visit for a few minutes, and you may find one of your own roots or a limb of your tree. We welcome contributions from, and sharing with, "cousins", or anyone else with a genealogical connection to this part of Newfoundland. Presently, we have about 60,000 names in our computer file, accumulated from numerous sources, and would be pleased to check it for any relevant request.
- Marge relaxing at the Cabin, July 2000 (307 KB)
Marge (Stagg) Gibbons relaxing with her "needlepoint" at Windmill Bight.
- Clayton and Nita (Vincent) Gibbons, September,1999 (426 KB)
This photo was taken during a family reunion, birthday party to celebrate Nita's 80th birthday.
- Kim, Vince and Emily Gibbons (599 KB)
These are the three children of Rex and Marge (Stagg) Gibbons
- Jethro William Goodyear, 1922-2000 (30 KB)
Jet was the son of Nathan Goodyear of Cat Harbour and Emma Granter of Brookfield,Newfoundland. He served in the 166th Regiment in World War II.
- The "Glens", Humphries and Templeman (1516 KB)
Preparing dinner at Island Pond cabin on March 25, 2005
- Andy and Randy "Gibbons" (1741 KB)
Andy and Randy on February 12, 2005, at Wade's store: Rex's birthday party
- Clayton Gibbons and son, Rex, summer, 1948 (720 KB)
Dad and Rex with Rex's first dog, sitting on a komatik in front of the woodpile near their home at Lumsden South, Newfoundland
- Charlotte and Chelsea Kean, Christmas 2000 (500 KB)
Charlotte and Chelsea, the two daughters of Tracey (Stagg) and Todd Kean of Wesleyville. Tracey is Marge's neice.
- Oswald Stagg and Stella Vincent and their 2 girls (832 KB)
Oswald Stagg and Stella Vincent and their daughters, Marjorie (Marge; married to Rex Gibbons) and Gloria (married to Terry Wareham)
- Liam Gibbons, Christmas 2000 (37 KB)
Liam is the son of Holly (Barnes) and Geoff Gibbons.
- Chesley and Clayton Gibbons in the Rex V G, 1982 (577 KB)
Ches and Clayt landing at the Lumsden South wharf after a day fishing. Their boat, a 30 foot trap skiff, was built in 1947, and they used it until they retired from the fishery. This was typical of the boats used by fishing crews in the inshore cod trap fishery.
- View of the Crow Gulch, Windmill Head (584 KB)
Glenn Templeman and Randy Gibbons standing in front of the Crow Gulch on April 13, 2001, with view of ice fields near Souther' Island in the background.
- Boyd Gibbons, May 2000 (673 KB)
Brother Boyd feasting on lobster at Rex's and Marge's cabin at Windmill Bight, Newfoundland; Marge and her brother, Dave Stagg, in the background.
- A View of Cat Harbour (Lumsden South), 2000 (90 KB)
This view is looking east towards Inner Cat (Souther') Island, with Buck's Head, Engine Run, and Motion Rocks in the background; Lumsden South Harbour in the foreground, and the south part of the beach.
- A View of Lumsden North, 2000 (69 KB)
Lumsden North with Outer Cat (Norther') Island in the background, including Gull Rock; beach and fishing wharf in the foreground.
- A View of Lumsden South and Windmill Bight, 2000 (88 KB)
This view looks south from Cat Harbour Point, the beach, and the fishing harbour, toward Windmill Bight and Norther' Bill in the background. Note the location of Windmill Bight Beach.
- Attle's Harbour, Northern Bill, Windmill Bight, NF (661 KB)
Photo taken on a "flat calm" Saturday, August 18, 2001, when Lorne Goodyear and Rex Gibbons were "going up around shore" to Cape Island. A popular spot for fishermen to visit when visiting cod traps set near Northern Bill.
- Cat Harbour Beach, November 2000 (303 KB)
Lobster traps, by Steve Gibbons's old fishing store, overlooking the breakwater and the sandy beach, at Lumsden South.
- Cat Harbour, overlooking Inner Cat Island (354 KB)
Lobster traps on the sand, fishing boats in the harbour at Lumsden South, with a view of Souther' Island (Inner Cat Island) in the background, November 2000.
- Windmill Bight Beach, near Lumsden, Newfoundland (326 KB)
Another of the beautiful white sandy beaches near Lumsden, July 2000.
- Blue Bells at Brandy Cove (455 KB)
A beautiful field of Purple Irises (blue bells) at Brandy Cove, Windmill Bight, near Lumsden, July 2000.
- Caplin fishing at sunset, Cat Harbour, July 2000 (259 KB)
A fishing crew on their caplin trap at sunset, just outside the harbour and adjacent to the breakwater at Lumsden South, as a very busy day comes to an end.
- The Crow Gulch, Windmill Head, on July 13, 2001 (890 KB)
The Crow Gulch in summer, a popular (and dangerous) spot to visit. A deep vertical fracture through the granite of Windmill Head.
- Marilyn and Jim Duffett with their bakeapples (325 KB)
Marilyn Mosdell (a descendant of the CARTERs and COOZEs of Greenspond) and her husband, Jim Duffett, at Rex's and Marge's cabin, Windmill Bight, showing off the results of a day picking bakeapples near Cape Island, August 2000.
- Picking bakeapples at Brandy Cove Bog, Aug. 5,2001 (810 KB)
Wanda (Tiller) Howell and Marge (Stagg) Gibbons resting while picking bakeapples on Brandy Cove marshes, near their cabins at Windmill Bight.
- The Wareham Family, September 3, 2001 (Labour Day) (658 KB)
My wife's sister, Gloria (Stagg) Wareham with her husband, Terry, and two sons, Ossie and Josh, during an afternoon outing to Brandy Cove, Windmill Bight.
- Party Time at Windmill Bight, May 2000 (639 KB)
Two of the "sisters-in-law", Gail Gaulton (married to Marge's brother, Dave Stagg) and Geraldine Hatcher (married to her brother, Scott Stagg).
- "Moose Fry" on a skidoo trip, February 24, 2001 (505 KB)
During a "skidoo" trip in Indian Bay country, we spent a night at Kev's cabin on Island Pond (Jim Goodyear, Ran Gibbons, Glenn Templeman, Claude Howell, Kev Robbins, Max Goodyear in the photo, + myself (Rex) and Glenn Humphries (Asleep)). A late night snack in the winter camping tradition.
- The 24th of May Weekend, 2000 (709 KB)
More party time on the first "cabin" weekend of 2000... the sisters, Marge (Stagg) Gibbons and Gloria (Stagg) Wareham, at Marge's Windmill Bight cabin.
- Elsie (Stratton) and Ezra Vincent, 1915 (354 KB)
Elsie and Ezra on their wedding day at Cape Island, Newfoundland
- Don Hudson and Family, 1942 (436 KB)
Parents Johanna (Josephine) Meadus (Greenspond) and Ted Hudson (Broad Cove) with their two sons, Donald William Hudson (14 years old) and Edwin Hollis Hudson (23 years old).
- Marge & Rex Gibbons, November 29, 2001 (313 KB)
This photo was taken at the annual Festival of Trees fundraiser for cancer at the Delta Hotel, St. John's, NF
- Barbara (Green) Vincent,1980, at Wesleyville, NF (375 KB)
"Aunt" Barb, Marge's grandmother, in September, 1980, at her daughter, Stella's, home in Wesleyville, Newfoundland
- Windmill Bight Cottage, Summer, 2001 (855 KB)
Rex's and Marge's cottage at Windmill Bight, about 2 kilometers from Lumsden, toward Cape Freels
- Rocky Goodyear's horse at Lumsden, Christmas2003 (1643 KB)
The girls, Mary Goodyear, Wanda Howell, and Marge Gibbons, waiting for a ride on Rocky's horse.
- Katie Templeman at 4 years old (1513 KB)
A photo of Katie taken at her home in Lumsden on the Easter weekend, 2005.