Notes for Thomas Bradford Jr: (Source: Boddie, John Bennett. Virginia Historical Genealogies. 1964: Clearfield Company)
THOMAS - was willed all of his father's Island land. On November 25, 1770, as "Thomas Bradford of Craven County, SC." He deeded to Nathaniel Moore of Northampton a survey of land taken up by Captain Thomas Bradford by patent of 3 November 1753, being an island in the Roanoke River, near Capt. Richard Spann, containing 80 acres. Wits: John Bradford. (B5-118) ************************************************** (Another citation for above island land appears below, as shown in the following reference: Margaret M. Hofmann. Colony of North Carolina (1735 - 1764). Abstracts of Land Patents, Vol. 1, page 162.)
From Patent Book 5, page 93. THOMAS BRADFORD. 30 March 1743. 80 Acres in Bertie County, being an island in Roanoke river near Captain Spann's Island, joining a Swash, a stone at the point of the Island, and the river. ************************************************* It will be noted that these three brothers, Henry, Nathaniel and Thomas Bradford, Jr., moved to Craven County, SC (Later divided into Chester and Lancaster Counties.) They were accompanied by the Moores and Paces, their relatives.
(p. 158 and 159)
The descendants of Thomas Bradford are still living in Lancaster County. They say that he had a wife named Mary and a daughter named Mary. The daughter married John Stover and had two sons, one name William Bradford Stover and the other, Thomas Bradford Stover.
The will books of Lancaster were burned in the Civil War, and only the deeds remain. It seems that Thomas Bradford was deceased before 1780, the year of William Moore's will, and there is no further record of him.
The "Mary" that Thomas Bradford, Jr. married is thought to be the daughter of William and Barbara Moore, for the following reasons:
1. Mary is mentioned in the will of William Moore as the deceased mother of Isham Bradford. It is supposed that Mary was a daughter of William Moore. Apparently, William wanted to leave an inheritance of land to Isham since Isham appears to have been the youngest son of Thomas and Mary. Isham was still a minor and had lost both of his parents at the time of William Moore's will, which was written 9 August 1780,
2. In 1771, Thomas Bradford was given a Royal Land Grant of 400 acres. The plat for that land shows that William Moore's land joined Thomas's land. It was customary for relatives to purchase and occupy land as neighbors during the early Colonial period.
3. The names "William Moore" and "Thomas Bradford" appear together as " Petit Jurors to the East Side of the Wateree River". (See "The Jury Lists of South Carolina, 1778-1779", compiled by Hendrix and Lindsay, 1976 ) Both men owned land on the Wateree River in Sumter District, SC, during this time period. When the names of jurors were gathered, it was much like the procedure which would eventually be used by census takers starting in 1790: recording the names of heads of households, one by one, moving from one landowner's property to the next. The lists were not alphabetically arranged.
4. The children of Thomas and Mary as well as their descendents have names which show a direct link to the family of William Moore and Barbara Harrison Moore. The names of the Moore's children included the names of Isham,William Harrison, and Leonard. These names are found in the children and grandchildren of Thomas and Mary Bradford. ******************************************* Isham Bradford of Claremont County, SC (later, Sumter County) on March 1, 1791, deeded Thomas Pace and Nathaniel Pace, Jr. of the county and state aforesaid, for 10 shillings, a tract containing 225 acres on Swift Creek and 175 acres on the road from Charleston to Camden, granted Thomas Stater, Aug. 12, 1751. (Lancaster BK. p. 80-81) The above deed of ISHAM BRADFORD was recorded in Lancaster County, where part of the land in question was situated. This was in 1791 after the census of 1790 - the first in the United States to be taken.
2. MARY - m. John Stover. John Stover died in Lancaster County between 1788 and 1790, since he does appear in the census of 1790, although according to a deed he was living in 1788. This deed was from William Johnston and Jean, his wife, of Lancaster, dated December 17, 1788. Same was in consideration of 4,000 lbs. of tobacco for 100 acres of land "where the said John Stover now lives." Witnessess: THOMAS BRADFORD and SAMUEL BRADFORD. The "widow Stover" was head of a family of four males under 16 and four females, including herself, in the Lancaster Census of 1790. She moved to Liberty Hill in Kershaw County, where as "Mary Stober" in 1800 she had one son between 10 and 16, one between 16 and 26, one daughter between 10 and 16, one between 16 and 26, and herself, between 26 and 45, in her household.
3. THOMAS - who with his brother Samuel witnessed the above deed to John Stover in 1788, appears in the Census of 1790 for Lancaster as head of a family consisting of himself, wife, one son over 16, five under 16, one daughter and four slaves. In Kershaw in 1800, where he evidently moved along with the Stovers, he was head of a family of four males under 10 and three females 10 to 16, also his wife and himself between 26 and 45. He does not appear in 1810 and evidently migrated to the southwest, probably to Alabama, where the Stovers afterwards moved. (Neither Thomas nor Samuel Bradford appear in the Lancaster census of 1810)
4. SAMUEL - who also witnessed the deed of 1788, also appears in the Lancaster County Census of 1790 as head of a household consisting of himself, wife, one son over 16, and four slaves. He does not appear either in Lancaster or Kershaw in 1800 and therefore must have migrated. ************************* Thomas Bradford arrived in the High Hills of Santee from North Carolina in 1768. (Source: Unpublished notes of Peter G. Sandlund)
The "High Hills of the Santee" area is on the western border of South Carolina near the confluence of the Wateree and Congaree Rivers. It begins about 100 yards east of the confluence and runs northeast for several miles, rising to a height in many areas of about 100 feet. "General Thomas Sumter, of Revolutionary [War] fame, made his home amidst the High Hills of the Santee. When sore pressed by the British, General Sumter would take refuge in the dense swamps of the Wateree. Here he and his men at times regularly camped. The days were long and the meals were often scant in this modest retreat, so when the opportunity presented, they all came out to the hills for food. Mrs. Sumter was quite accustomed to having a hearty dinner prepared in the dead of night for his band of Patriots. One night the feast had just been placed before them, when the watchman cried, "The British are coming!" In mad haste, they rushed away. General Sumter seized a large ham and carried it safely to the depths of the swamp; there he finished his repast under the shining stars.,,, When the tale of these High Hills of Santee is told it will be no history of dreams, but of men who helped to make a nation. Their inspirations were not bounded by the lofty forests. Nor their strength measured by the mighty hills. Infinite possibilities of successful achievements, wrought by patient courage, have come down to us a precious heritage...."
(Source: C. Irvine Walker. The Romance of Lower Carolina: Historic, Romantic and Traditional Incidents of the Colonial and Revolutionary Eras, etc. Charleston: Art Publishing Company, 1915. Pp. 131-132.) ****************************** p. 76-77. The once-renowned Harmony College stood near the center of the state at the "Sumter Mineral Springs" in the High Hills of Santee where the "graceful range lifts the beholder over an expanded horizon and sends from its base...its fountains of the most salubrious waters." An eloquent description of the setting of this institution found in a catalog continues in the same vein, stating that "along the verge are several springs of various mild medicinal qualities. No point, from the coast to the mountains, can compare with this locality for health at all seasons....The air is dry, bland and refreshing. No frogs, no marsh, no miasma, no sluggish waters, no flooded lowlands. "This school was built after a series of previous educational institutions in the area known as BRADFORD SPRINGS. The earliest owner of this land was THOMAS BRADFORD, who received in 1771 a grant of 400 acres including the stream upon which the Springs were found and named for the owner. "The next owner was NATHANIEL BRADFORD, who had visions of building a health resort. However, he sold a number of lots from his holdings, one of which was bought by Dr. James Hartley, who in turn sold it to Charles Spann [possibly a relative of the Bradfords; see land deed for Thomas Bradford from his father]. Mrs. Spann opened a school for girls which was operated for some years." Later, this land was purchased by a company which established the Bradford Springs Female Institute. "This school was operated in 1849 with Rev. Edwin Cater as principal....It is said that this school was a cultural influence in the community and Mr. Cater was highly esteemed. "Apparently, however, the venture of the Bradford Springs Female Institute Co. was not financially successful, for in May 1853, the real estate and personal property went on sale. The 519 acres of land, the buildings, furnishings and chattels were bought by Rev. Gilbert Morgan...for $10,000. He immediately reopened the school as Harmony Female College.
(Source: Cassie Nichols. Historical Sketches of Sumter County.) *********************************** Thomas Bradford owned land in the High Hills of the Santee, St. Mark's Parish, as evidenced by the following memorial:
Memorial exhibited by ROBERT SINGLETON, to be registered in Auditor's office.....250 acres in Craven County IN THE HIGH HILLS OF THE SANTEE, St. Marks Parish. Bounding NW on Matthew Singleton's and John Dargen's lands; NE on said Matthew Singleton's; SE on THOMAS BRADFORD's and on William Moore's; SW on Ann Bodely's land. Survey certified 12th November 1771, and granted 16th January to Memorialist. Quit rent 3/ Sterling or 4/ Proclamation money per hundred acres, commencing two years from date. In witness whereof he hath set his hand hereunto 15th April 1772. Delivered to the memorialist 29th June 1772 by ISHAM MOORE.
Isham Moore, D.S. (Book 11, p. 201)
Source: Esker, Katie-Prince Ward. South Carolina Memorials, Vol. 1, 1731-1776. Polyanthos publishers, 1973. Pp.114 - 115.
More About Thomas Bradford Jr: Record Change: May 7, 2000
Children of Thomas Bradford Jr and Mary Moore are:
+Isham Bradford, b. 1767, Charleston District, SC, d. Bef. February 20, 1835, East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana.