Family Tree Maker Online
Navigation Bar

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]

Descendants of Abraham Haun

Generation No. 4

4. VIRGINIA CORDELIA4 HAUN (EDMOND WALTER3, JOHN2, ABRAHAM1) was born January 9, 1853 in Concord, Tennessee, and died August 16, 1920 in Watsonville, California. She married SPENCER C. RODGERS May 1, 1874 in Concord, Tennessee. He was born May 1, 1848, and died March 10, 1930 in Watsonville, California.
Children of V
  i.   FRANK5 RODGERS, b. May 24, 1876; d. Unknown; m. MABLE GIMMER, May 10, 1905; b. March 3, 1877; d. Unknown.
  ii.   CLARA RODGERS, b. September 4, 1879; d. Unknown; m. GEORGE FRANCIS SILLIMAN, June 30, 1904; b. September 21, 1866; d. June 13, 1940.
  iii.   MINNIE RODGERS, b. September 26, 1882; d. July 17, 1883.
  iv.   JOSEPH FLOYD RODGERS, b. April 1, 1884; d. Unknown; m. ALMA YALE, November 1, 1911; b. August 2, 1891; d. Unknown.
  v.   ANNA GRACE RODGERS, b. May 27, 1887; d. Unknown; m. JOHN E. GARDNER, June 30, 1925; b. August 14, 1873; d. Unknown.
  vi.   IVA RODGERS, b. July 25, 1891; d. Unknown.

5. SAMUEL DAVID4 HAUN (EDMOND WALTER3, JOHN2, ABRAHAM1) was born April 3, 1855 in Concord, Tennessee, and died September 20, 1930 in Baltimore, Maryland. He married (1) MARGARET LAVENIA BOGAL March 10, 1887. She died December 20, 1894 in Knoxville, Tennessee. He married (2) ELLA RICE May 23, 1899 in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Child of S
  i.   MARGARET ANN5 MARROW, b. December 8, 1890; d. December 27, 1893.

6. MARY JANE4 HAUN (EDMOND WALTER3, JOHN2, ABRAHAM1) was born February 6, 1857 in Concord, Tennessee, and died January 22, 1932 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She married MYRON HOUGH March 27, 1881. He was born June 21, 1838, and died March 30, 1904 in Larned, Kansas.
Children of M
  i.   EDITH O.5 HOUGH, b. August 12, 1884; d. July 2, 1925, Halstead, Kansas.
14. ii.   HARRY HAUN HOUGH, b. July 14, 1894; d. December 24, 1957, Tulsa, Oklahoma.

7. JOHN MELVIN4 HAUN (EDMOND WALTER3, JOHN2, ABRAHAM1) was born January 11, 1859 in Concord, Tennessee, and died February 29, 1944 in Marysville, Tennessee. He married ANNA THEIS 1888 in Ashland, Kansas. She was born Unknown, and died 1902 in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Children of J
15. i.   FLOYD EDWIN5 HAUN, b. March 1, 1889; d. Unknown.
16. ii.   CLARA HELEN HAUN, b. December 17, 1895; d. Unknown.
17. iii.   MARGARET ANN HAUN, b. October 18, 1901; d. Unknown.

8. JAMES OMER4 HAUN (EDMOND WALTER3, JOHN2, ABRAHAM1) was born May 30, 1861 in Concord, Tennessee, and died March 6, 1899 in Garfield, Washington. He married CYNTHIA ANNE MCKINNEY September 16, 1883 in Kansas. She was born September 17, 1865, and died April 22, 1942 in Seattle, Washington.
Children of J
18. i.   LEE MELVIN5 HAUN, b. May 27, 1886; d. March 1948.
  ii.   BESSIE ELIZABETH HAUN, b. November 20, 1887; d. Unknown; m. GEORGE OLIVER CUMMINGS, July 21, 1919.
  iii.   LOLA KATE HAUN, b. November 28, 1890; d. Unknown; m. HOWARD ERWIN, October 1914.
  iv.   HARRY EDMOND HAUN, b. February 5, 1899; d. December 1900.

9. MARGARET ELIZABETH4 HAUN (EDMOND WALTER3, JOHN2, ABRAHAM1) was born August 29, 1863 in Concord, Tennessee, and died January 11, 1942 in Larned, Kansas. She married GEORGE WASHINGTON BRANNAN March 19, 1882. He was born September 12, 1854, and died January 29, 1946 in Larned, Kansas.
Children of M
  i.   ETHEL MAY5 BRANNAN, b. June 20, 1883; d. Unknown; m. FRANK BAYLESS, September 20, 1911.
  ii.   FRANCES CAROL BRANNAN, b. February 21, 1885; d. January 4, 1978; m. EDNA DEKALB, November 29, 1911; d. February 5, 1966.
19. iii.   GEORGE EARL BRANNAN, b. May 29, 1887; d. September 16, 1969.
20. iv.   RAY HAUN BRANNAN, b. July 20, 1888; d. Unknown.
  v.   ROBERT EDMOND BRANNAN, b. November 12, 1891; d. Unknown; m. JANE ROSE, September 2, 1916.
  vi.   SAMUEL LESLIE BRANNAN, b. March 16, 1895; d. March 3, 1962; m. CHLOE PHILLIPS, April 4, 1919.
  vii.   BLANCH ELIZABETH BRANNAN, b. June 8, 1898; d. August 12, 1975, Topeka, Kansas; m. WILLIAM OWENS.
21. viii.   ERMA MARGARET BRANNAN, b. April 16, 1903; d. July 25, 1989, Larned, Kansas.

10. FRANCES OLIVE4 HAUN (EDMOND WALTER3, JOHN2, ABRAHAM1) was born March 27, 1866 in Concord, Tennessee, and died December 15, 1950 in Topeka, Kansas. She married HARVEY A. RUSSELL June 22, 1892 in Larned, Kansas. He was born April 8, 1861, and died February 10, 1958 in Topeka, Kansas.
Children of F
22. i.   FRANCES ELIZABETH5 RUSSELL, b. March 10, 1895; d. January 3, 1978.
  ii.   OLIVE MARIE RUSSELL, b. February 6, 1899; d. Unknown.
23. iii.   HARVEY ALEXANDER RUSSELL, b. May 9, 1902; d. Unknown.

11. WILLIAM RODGERS4 HAUN (EDMOND WALTER3, JOHN2, ABRAHAM1) was born February 23, 1871 in Concord, TN, and died November 5, 1959 in Larned, KS. He married GERTRUDE EUPHEMIA GILL December 27, 1899 in Mountain Home Farm in Pawnee County Kansas, daughter of WILLIAM GILL and MARY PYLE. She was born January 16, 1879 in Pawnee County KS At Prairie Dell Farm, and died March 29, 1951 in Larned, KS.

Notes for W

First I shall try to identify myself. I am the youngest son of Edmond Walter Haun, whose father was John Haun. His mother was Jane (Hyder) Haun. Grandfather John Haun was born Sept. 27, 1790, died July 12, 1858. Grandmother Jane Haun was born Aug. 3, 1792, died Nov. 27, 1880. Ten children were born to this union, 6 boys and 4 girls.
The first son, Edmond Walter (my father) was born Feb. 25, 1823, died Dec. 22, 1876. Father was born in Carter County, Tenn., near Johnson City, died at Concord, and is buried there. Samuel W., born Aug. 8, 1830, died in 1906. He went to Washington State in 1887, located near Garfield. Nathaniel T. went to Kansas in 1877 (I do not have dates of his birth or death). George A., born May 5, 1832, died Oct. 1, 1910. He lived all his life on the dry creek farm near Johnson City, Tenn. Two sons went West before the Civil War. It was said they went to Indiana. Their names were Adam and John (seem to have lost track of them). The four sisters were Clarrisa, Lucinda, Rossanna, and Elizabeth. I do not know the order of their birth. I was told they all married Williams, but were no kin. I have a letter written by Adam H. Haun to my dear cousin. In this letter he says: "George, I was sorry to hear of your misfortune in the loss of your companion." The records show that George Haun's wife, Sallie Swingle, died Sept. 27, 1866. One year, 4 months, 15 days before this letter was written. He also stated in this letter, that John died in 1855, in Iowa, and that his own father Jan. 1860. ('Tis quite evident the writer of this letter was a son of the Adam that went West before the Civil War.) In a letter from Robert D. Haun of Lexington, Ky., who has made some search through the old records at Elizabethton, Tenn., he says he found one deed, recorded on page 73 of book E1036 from Abraham Haun to John Haun, which apparently referred to John Haun as Abraham's son. I have another letter of recent date, from a Miss Rose Hampton of 501 Woodland Ave., Norfolk, Tenn., which says she is a granddaughter of Rossanna and P. R. Williams, says Rossanna was a daughter of John Haun, a sister of George and Nathaniel Haun. Another letter, this one from A. E. Simerly, 112 W. Farragut Rd., Oak Ridge, Tenn., says his grandmother was a Haun, and married Pinkey Williams, and lived on Buffalo Creek near Milligan College, Johnson, Tenn. Her name was Rossanna. He says he is 69 years old, was a minister for a number of years, but because of health has retired.
Now about my father's family. Father married Ann Elizabeth Smith, Jan. 27, 1852. Their children were as follows:
Virginia Cordelia. born Jan. 9, 1853. Married Dr. S. C. Rodgers, May 1, 1874, at Concord, Tenn., moved to California in the 80's, located at Watsonville, where Delia died Aug. 16, 1920.
Samuel David, born April 3, 1855, died Sept. 20, 1930, Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore. Married Margaret Bogal, March 10, 1887, who died Dec. 20, 1894. In June, 1899, he married Ella Rice.

Mary Jane, born Feb. 6, 1857, died Jan. 22, 1932, at Tulsa, Okla.
Married Myron Hough, March 27, 1881, who died March 30, 1904, at Larned, Kan.
John Melvine, born Jan. 11, 1859, died Feb. 29, 1944 at Knoxville, Tenn.
Married Anna Theis some time in 1888, at Ashland, Kan., who died April 12, 1902, at Knoxville, Tenn.
James Omer, born May 30, 1861, died March 6, 1899, at Garfield, Wash.
Married Cynthia McKinney, Sept. 16, 1883, who died April 22, 1942, at Seattle, Wash.
Margaret E., born Aug. 29, 1863, died Jan. 11, 1942, at Larned, Kansas. Married George W. Brannan, Feb. 18, 1882, who died Jan. 29, 1946, at Lamed.
Frances Olive, born March 27, 1866, died Dec. 15, 1950, at Topeka, Kan. Married Harvey A. Russell, March 22, 1892.
Eddie Cecil, born March 25, 1869, died Nov. 8, 1880, in Kansas.
William Rodgers, born Feb. 23, 1871. Married Gertrude Euphemia Gill, Dec. 27, 1899. Gertrude died March 29, 1951, at Larned, Kansas.
Ann Gertrude, born Jan. 18, 1874. Married Charles A. Kitch, Sept. 16, 1903.
Elizabeth (Lyda) Bell, born April 18, 1876. Married James C. Beck, Sept. 12, 1899.
My father was by trade a carpenter or contractor, owned and operated a mill near Concord, Tenn., during the Civil War, and for that reason was exempt from military duty. As they lived between Knoxville and Chattanooga they were in the midst of the battles between the Northern and the Southern armies. Mother said she cooked breakfast for the officers of one army one morning, and before they could eat it they were driven out by the other army, and the other officers got the breakfast.
When the battle began mother was at home alone with her children, father having gone to the mill to try to protect things there. She said she became so alarmed she asked an officer what to do. He told her to lay down on the floor. She said she tried that, but the fighting became so fierce she took the children and went to the mill where father was. While on the way to the mill she was stopped or halted several times. After obeying orders to halt, she would proceed. When they returned to the house after the battle, they found three dead men in the yard. Father's loss in lumber was heavy; also all livestock except one crippled mule was taken away.
At the time of father's death in 1876, he was building a mill at Leepers Ferry, on the Tennessee river below Concord, and it seems mother lost heavily in that deal because of the unfinished condition of the mill. This was in December, 1876. It was while moving from Concord to Leepers Ferry by boat that father took a severe cold, which resulted in his death. Sometime in 1878 mother decided to go to Kansas. One of her brothers and his family (John Smith) had gone there in the spring of '78. My brother, Omer, had gone along with the Smiths. Reports were so favorable from Kansas that mother was ready and started for Kansas Sept. 19, 1878. We came to Kansas in wagons, mother and nine children. Besides our wagon and three span of mules, there were three other wagons and three or four span of mules. A cousin (John Haun) came as far as Wellington, Kan. A man by the name of Longbottom came as far as Kansas City. There his cow had to rest, so he was left behind. Our cow made the trip OK, and was the source of our milk and butter in theearly years of our Kansas life.
Just two months from the day we started, we arrived at Finnis Galbreath's, about seven miles northwest of Pawnee Rock. It was about noon when we arrived. Our last camp was about a half mile west of what is now known as the Pawnee Rock Park, the place where it is said Kit Carson killed his mule, thinking it was an Indian.
We found our brother at the Galbreath home, and was glad the trek was over. Can you imagine anyone starting on such a trip today? With the present means of transportation, you cannot realize the hardships we met, with no laid out and graded roads, no roadside resting places, towns and villages few and far between, water for man or beast could not be found in some places, and what few roads had been carved out over the mountains and through the forest were toll roads, none too good, yet you had to use them for there was no other way through. We came to one place called Turn Back Hill. It was said when some people came to that hill they turned around and went back. By doubling teams and resting often, we made it over the hill. Everybody walked and pushed when they could. It fell to my lot to help my brother, Cecil, drive the cows quite a bit of the time. We rode the extra mules on this job. One of the extra wagons and teams was for Joe Christian, the other was for our uncle, John Smith. Our first winter was spent in a small house on the SE corner of sec. 32-19-16, just across the line in Rush county, on Landin Mathis homestead. Mathis was the leading blacksmith in Larned for years. After his retirement he moved to Kansas City where he died some years later. In the spring of '79 mother contracted for 80 acres in the SW1/4 of 33-19-16. 1 have a letter that my mother wrote to her brother that spring, says that Brother Sam had bought enough lumber that day to build a house, 14 by 18 ft., for $49. He bought that lumber from John Lindas at Pawnee Rock. What would $49 buy today (1952)? Not being able to carry out the contract on the 80, because of crop failure, but was able to buy out a timber claim right, and homesteaded NW1/4 of 4-20-16 in Pawnee county, where we lived for almost 40 years. It was there that all the sisters were married except Delia and Gertrude. It was there I took my bride when we were married, and there our five children were born. It was mother's home as long as she lived. When mother died Feb. 22, 1914, Brother Sam came and took her body back to her old home, and placed it beside father's grave at Concord, Tenn.
Many things of interest to me transpired in those years. Sam, Mell and Omer all found work with the railroad in the early eighties, leaving mother, Olive, Gertrude, Lyda and myself at home to look after the farm. At the age of 13 I attended school one mile north of home, in Rush county, in the winter months and did the chores.
My teachers were-F. C. Brooks, Charlie Robinson, G. W. Brannan, Jessie Wilson (Shiney), Miss Binna Deighton (I think that was her name). Miss Wilson and other teacher,. boarded at our home. My schoolmates were Ollie, Charlie, Mary, Will and Julian Galbreath, Dave, Ora, Arthur, Sallie and Mary Smith, Cynthia, Lisie and Suda of the Henry McKinney family, Sam, Bass, Will and Mollie of the Jim McKinney family, Albert and Henry Johnson, Lizzie, Carl and Sophia Christianson, Carie, Lumay and Laura Brooks, Foster and Pearl Whitney, and perhaps others attended the Banner school when I did. After my sister, Olive, began teaching (her first school was known as the Gerhart School in Rush county, her second was Sunny Side in Pawnee county), I attended that year part time. The Crane, Gustafson, Armstrong, Kay, Peterson, Sjogren, Nelson, and I think maybe Banks and Swanson children were there some. We had our entertainments then (with crowded house)-dialouges, spelling, ciphering, recitations, etc.
Our games were blackman or dare base, and we were great on racing. Some of the girls could outrun any of the boys. Yes, we played ball too, but not football or basketball. These two games were not known in our school (I can hear some of the folks of today, 1952, say, "you missed a lot of fun").
We had some great revivals in those days, held our services in the schoolhouses, and had wonderful attendance. Our only means of travel was the old lumber wagon, but with a good covering of hay in the bottom, and a quilt or canvas over that, and an extra side board on one side of the wagon, and if it was very cold with a blanket over us, we could go 4 or 5 miles to these meetings. Later on when the buggies, carriages and spring wagons made their advent, we would go ten or twelve miles to camp meetings. Yes, these were great days, happy days. I believe people got more JOY out of life then than now. I know we visited more than we do now.
For several years, or during the eighties, we were alarmed by reports of Indians making raids on the early settlers, but we had no trouble with them here in Pawnee county. One of our greatest enemies was fire. When fire got out of control on the prairie it would burn for days, especially in a few counties west of us. I remember one Sunday morning we were at Sunday school, when one of these fires came roaring in on us from the northwest. It was on us before we noticed it. The head fire was about 1/2 miles west of the schoolhouse, but the side fire was spreading fast (it burned about 40 acres of our place). Some of the men rushed to the head of this fire. They started at the Kay bridge and set the grass afire along the road for about five miles south, and thought they had won the fight, but there was a small stone culvert under the road along the east side of sec. 16, near where Carrie Sandstrom later lived, which had filled with trash. The fire crept through this and did not stop until it reached the railroad west of Pawnee Rock. Our most destructive fires came later on, when we had vast acreages of wheat. During harvest or after, such fires could do much damage. I remember one such fire just after harvest. Frank Juno was just beginning the threshing season on the Ham Brooks farm, when a spark from his engine set the stacks afire. This fire burned north for miles and destroyed many large stacks of wheat. I was cleaning up around my wheat stacks with a rake, when I saw the fire start. I filled my jug with water and drove to the fire, about three miles. I don't know which they appreciated most when I arrived, the water or the rake. I used the rake to rake the loose stubble along the side of the fire away, making it easier to knock out the fire. Now we have our roads graded on most every mile and a fire does not get so far.
I never saw any buffalo in our county but there were some in the western part of the state, I was told. Quite a few antelope roamed the prairies, but were hard to capture. One method was to place a red flag or something on a short stake to wave in the wind to attract their attention, while you were concealed nearby. They would circle the object and keep coming closer unless alarmed and run away, and you might get one. Coyotes were very numerous and bold, seemed to work in groups, and were very cunning. In the fall of the year great droves of wild geese would pass over. Many would stop to feed on our fields of wheat and corn. We had goose to eat quite often. Our method of hunting was to drive a wagon and circle a drove that was feeding on the field. Some would get out and hide, while the other would drive to the opposite side and try to make the geese fly over the man with the gun. Well, if it worked we had goose for dinner. If not, we would try the next time we got a chance.
Yes, we had snakes and centipedes, but few people got in trouble with them. Prairie dogs were numerous in some localities, and were hard to get. If one was shot it usually fell in its hole. It is said someone killed, dressed, and sent some to friends in Chicago, as Texas squirrels, said friends pronounced them good, and ordered more sent. We never tried them.
It might be of interest to some who might read this in years to come, to know what we used for fuel in the early days, when money was a scarce article. We had corn stalks, buffalo or cow chips, and there was some timber along Dry and Wet Walnut Creeks. Where these crossed railroad lands we cut it as we could find it, while on the homesteads the owner sold his timber. The cow chips were free to all who could find them. There was not too much heat in any of this fuel, and lots of ashes to clean out. The modern method is so different, so clean and handy, that there is no comparison. You will just have to stretch your imagination.
My first job as a hired hand (as I remember it) was cutting broom corn. It was of the standard variety, and had to be tabled or bent over before one could cut it. I remember that I was bare-footed, and there were places where the nettles were so thick that my brothers would carry me through. Then I looked after a band of sheep, for someone one summer, and I had to drive them to the creek to water them. Some of the old ewes would get stiuck in the mud, and I had a time pulling them out. In those days we did not have fences. Had to picket everything out, bring them in to water at noon, take them back, and we did not always have shoes and we would often step on cactus or prickly pears. My, how they would sting!
Cyclones-yes we had them. Kansas has always had them, and will continue to have them, I suppose. I remember one afternoon we counted seven of the funnel shaped things coming down from the clouds in the southwest. I never learned if they reached the ground or not, we did not have the telephone or radio In those days.
Then there were the blizzards of '85 and '86, of three days' duration, when so many cattle perished. They drifted with the wind until they came to a draw or ravine, and were covered with the drifting snow and froze to death by the hundreds. As the snow thawed in the spring they found and skinned many of them.
Before we got to building fences to hold the stock, along the creeks there were wild plums, cherries, and grapes in abundance. All these fruits were used in various ways. Most of this source of fruit has been destroyed by grazing. Besides, the modern method of canning is so much better. We don't have carpet rag tackings any more. I have tacked rags by the hour on the sewing machine, and have our carpets woven on the old hand loom. Jackrabbit hunting seems to be a thing of the past, too. We used to take a wire several rods long and tie it to two wagons, and drive back and forth across the fields. Men with guns followed the wire as it was drawn over the field. If there was any game of any kind there, the wire would scare it out, and someone was almost sure to get it. Later on the rabbits got so numerous and destructive, we had rabbit drives. The drives were widely advertised. They would build a pen, with wings reaching out for some distance, then surround a section or more, and drive or try to drive the rabbits into this trap. No guns were allowed. They used clubs to do the killing. Thousands of rabbits were killed in this way. Thousands of these rabbits were wrapped in paper, placed in barrels and refrigerator cars and shipped East. Some were skinned and fed to hogs. The skins or fur was used for the manufacture of hats, I was told. Another occasion of getting together was butchering day-still used on days of preparation for ground hog suppers. The home butchering is almost a thing of the past. If one is fortunate to have something to butcher, he takes it to a modern slaughter house and has it processed, avoiding the work and muss it would make at home. The youth of today cannot grasp the great changes that have taken place in Kansas or the world, in the last 74 years since I came to Kansas. And the end is not in sight, unless the Atomic Age is the last of us. Well, that is enough of that-unless I might say, never in all my life have I heard of so much graft and scandal in our public officials. There seems to be no end to which some will stoop, for selfish gains. Woe be unto us if we cannot find men of integrity to make and enforce our laws. What we need today above all things, is men who put their trust in God, and look to Him for guidance and strength. (This is in the year 1952.)

Notes for G
Dear Eugene and Gladys,
      How have you been doing? I have had some time lately and am continuing my family research. We finally bought a good computer program called "Reunion" to type all of our information on. I think I am about done with the folder of information you gave me a couple of years back at the Haun Reunion near Larned. It was a great addition to my research. I would appreciate any new information you may come across.
      I spent some time at Grandpa's (Howard Fox) last week and we went over the following document which appears to be a school report written by Gertrude Euphemia GILL. He thought you might find it interesting. I told him I would send it to you over the internet. You might have a better idea of who wrote it and when. Also maybe more information about items and persons written about in the document. Howard wants me to tell you that he would like for you to call him to discuss the document. Howard has the original with him. I could send you a copy of the original through the mail if you would like. Let me know. By the way our E-Mail address is

Take care. Talk to you soon.
                                                Love, Beth Martin
                                    (Great Granddaughter of Gertrude Gill Haun)

Document obtained from Howard W. Fox Author is assumed to be Gertrude Euphemia (GILL) HAUN "Early Days in Kansas" written on school paper Typed 11/18/97 word for word by Beth A. Martin
      Early Days in Kansas My parents and grand parents came to Pawnee Co. in March 1874. Grandpa Gill had been prospected here several times during the fall and winter before, and had bot a Section of R.R. land also a relinquis ment of a Soldier clain of Mr Goodman. The place now owned by Monroe Scott was the first Kansas home of the 7 Gills. My mother is the only one now living. She was teaching in Iowa Jan 1st There was two feet of snow on the ground there on New Years day. Grandpa Gill was in Larned that day and watching the boys play ball. They were bare footed he wrote home- "We will move here in Spring".

They brot two railroad freight cars one was laden with Plows, Harrows, a threshing machine all taken apart and closely packed. Across one end of the car they built a big bin for containing Enough oats + corn. to feed three teams of horses and 1 cow. Until more grain could be raised. The four men broke 100 acres of sod with 2 horse walking plows. Planted it all to corn. The rains came and corn was very good. "First six acres was sub soiled and was in roasting ear. July 27th 1874 My grandmother remarked "I fear it is going to rain I see a big cloud in the N.W." A few minutes later thousands of Grasshoppers began falling not waiting for ceremony commenced to gorge them selves on our gardens. melon patch and corn field. In eight hours every growing thing was consumed. except a few butts of the larger corn stalks. Mother and Aunt Minnie Gill dragged two mill sacks of the roasting ears to the cave. That was all they saved of the 100 acres of corn. Grand father and father hurriedly mowed a field of Hungarian grass. Grasshops flew in horses faces. almost causing. run aways- Grandfather had a good cry the next morning because he had brought his family so far west for Grandmother fall over, had heart trouble and would collapse while preparing dinner in Iowa. Well very few people could have remained here without help from relatives in The Eastern States.
My Grandfather Gill had left a wagon team of Horses and several cows with neighbors in Iowa so he went back in Sept Get diary for reference. Two families came out with him Oct 30th 1874Mr John Scott wife and Children Mr Lewis Corden and Several Children. Mr Scott homesteaded the farm where Geo Meeker lives now. Mr Havner lives on Corder's homestead. Cleo Stokes Grandparents came from Ill in Feb 1874 settled where Homer Flick now lives a family by the name of Kennedy was the first owner of the place where Elmer and Bessie Kirkwood now live. Very few of the old first settlers or direct heirs own their first holdings. Some moved to other states, but you can see the names of more at the Cemetary. Very few settlers arrived in 1875- on acct of the grasshopper raid. But gardens, corn, and wheat did well that year. So in the Spring of 1876 there were many Excursions over the Santa Fe R.R.. The U.S Government had donated each alternate Sec for 10 mi on either side of the Santa Fe R.R. to be sold to settlers as so much help in building the road which was built thro Larned in 1872.
      Rattle Snakes were plentiful the first few years - Scarcely a day passed without some member of the family killing at least one rattler. Either a few inches long with just a button, or several feet long with many rattles. Our dogs were frequently bitten because they would not heed the warning of snakes. Before striking they always rattle to let you have a chance to retreat. If you stood still mr rattler would coil and spring at you with open mouth and darting tougue.
Another menace The Pioneers had to contend with was Pararie Fires. Some smoker carelessly threw a lighted match in grass soon the settlers saw a smoke in the North and fire spread showing high flames. Settlers had no phones To report fire or ask aid but horses were harnessed and plows put at work - plowing fire guards. This was done by plowing two paralel strips several feet apart and burning the grass between them. Often the prairie fire would jump over if wind was high. The Women folks gave help by hauling Water in barrels and tubs to wet brooms, strips of carpet and gunny sacks for fire extinguishers. Sometimes they carried jugs of coffee and Sandwiches to the men who were several miles from home before the fire was out. Game was plentiful. Buffalo, Antelope, Prairie chickens and rabbits. Wild Geese + ducks We could get large red plums near Ash Creek. And Sand hill plums near the Arkansas. River -x after the fires were kept out.

One night several families to attend a
Literary at school Dist No 2.
Horse Thieves Had to Ford the river keep
horses moving
The old Fort Larned was named
      Vigilance Committe was organized on acct of Horse Thieves.

wheat varieties 75 to 77
White Russian ( Spring ) wheat
Oregon. Fultz, May. Fall wheat

May 6th 77
Great excitement in Larned some miscreant tried to burn Tim Mc Carthys fine residence on the hill

Apr 21 77 J. W. Arnold moved out from Ft. Madison Iowa.

Mar 28. 77 Drilled White Russian Spring wheat
Feb 16-77 -- Big Excursion from Iowa
Mar 9. 77 -- Big excursion from Mich
Feb 20 77 All went to Ft Larned ate dinner with the Soldiers Cousin Sarah C Krieger and Uncle Amos Mc Millan along.
Feb , 13th 1875 Went to Grange
" 27 Went to Grange

Our fore fathers were pioneers in Several State always coming west - from Penn to Ohio from Ohio to Iowa from Iowa to Kan.

The following is assumed to be written by the same author.
This was written on white note paper and appears to be one page of notes.

Married -
Moved - 7 - Gills
Brot = 2. R.R. Freight cars containing
7 horses. 1 cow. bins of corn + oats. Also
3-2 horse Sod plows - Harrows. + Threshing
Machine + c . 4 bed steads 1 tall chest
of drawers called a Bureau .
We women wanted to bring furniture but men said No we must have machinery. By the way Rush Co had settlers on the Wet Walnut 4 years before we came here and were raising wheat - Will threshed with coffee Mill right where Albert now is.
The settlers there had to watch the Buffalo's out their corn fields. Mr Brining settled there in 1870 2 years before the Santa Fe was built thro Larned -
New Years - Barefooted
Horse Thieve = Vigilance Committe Iowa Snow
Indian scare Soldiers at Ft Larned
They were called to Dodge City,
Saw Indians at P. O. How do woman's

Children of W
24. i.   GLADYS ELIZABETH5 HAUN, b. October 29, 1900, Mountain Home, Walnut Township, Pa. Co. Ks; d. December 13, 1987, Wesley Hospital, Wichita, Kansas.
25. ii.   WILDA MARIE HAUN, b. January 26, 1906, Mountain Home, Walnut Township, Pa. Co.Ks; d. September 22, 1966, Cimarron, Kansas.
26. iii.   WILLIAM HAROLD HAUN, b. January 17, 1910, Mountain Home, Walnut Township, Pa.Co. Ks.
27. iv.   EUGENE EDMOND HAUN, b. November 7, 1915, Pawnee County ,KS At Mountain Home.
28. v.   EUNICE ERMA HAUN, b. November 7, 1915, Pawnee County, KS At Mountain Home; d. January 28, 1992, Oregon, IL.

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]
Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009