Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]

Ancestors of Karen Rae Cowdin

Generation No. 8

      136. +William Dickson, born 25/Dec/1728 in Downpatrick, County Down, Ireland; died 13/Aug/1811 in Cherry Valley, New York. He was the son of 272. +John Dickson and 273. Unknown Gault. He married 137. +Elizabeth Campbell 20/Nov/1752 in Cherry Valley, Otsego, New York.

      137. +Elizabeth Campbell, born Feb/1729-30 in Londonderry, New Hampshire; died 11/Nov/1778 in Cherry Valley, Otsego County, New York, massacred by Indians. She was the daughter of 274. +James Campbell and 275. +Jane Humphrey.

Notes for +William Dickson:
Served in Revolutionary War.

The Dickson family is a branch of the Keith Clan of the Highlands of Scotland. Richard,
a younger son of an Earl of Keith, Marshall of Scotland, went in about the seventh century to the lowlands, near Berwick, where he was known as Dick and where he achieved notoriety as a warrior. His son, known as Dick's son. performed such valiant services for his king that he was knighted, whereupon he took the name of Dickson. A John Dickson was living in the early part of the eighteenth century at Downpatrick, County Down, Ireland, who married a Gault of the Parish of Kilragh, County Antrim, Ireland, and to them was born a son, named William.

The Rev. Samuel Dunlop persuaded seven families to remove in 1741 from Londonderry NH to Cherry Valley, NY, and after he built a log house and grew a crop he returned to Ireland and married Elizabeth Gault. When Rev. Dunlop and his bride returned to Cherry Valley, NY, early in 1742 they were accompanied by her brother, William Gault and his family, and by her thirteen-year-old nephew, William Dickson. The latter lived with the Rev. Dunlop, by whom he was educated, Until he married Elizabeth Campbell and settled on his farm at the then south end of the settlement.

The stone foundation of his first house. in which Elizabeth was scalped and killed, still exists on the east side of the highway, opposite the house he built after his return to Cherry Valley in 1783, and which house is occupied by Mr. P. C. McCarthey. Elizabeth was the daughter of James Campbell and his first wife, Jane Humphrey. It is probable that James Campbell was a member of the party that came from the north of Ireland to Boston, Mass. in 1718 and which settled at Londonderry, N. H., the following year. In the spring of 1741, James Campbell, David Ramsey, Patrick Davidson and four other families, totaling about 30 persons, removed from Londonderry, N. H., going by water from Portsmouth, NH to Albany NY, and thence overland to Cherry Valley under the guidance of Rev. Samuel Dunlop.

The sloop on which the party , ascended the Hudson River from New York City to Albany was owned by Hendrick Myndertse Roseboom, a merchant at Albany. The original deed to the land purchased by William Dickson, dated March 19, 1755, is in
the possession of Mr. Lewis Haight Kirby, Kalamazoo, Michigan, one of his descendants. This land was part of the Lindesay patent. By an endorsement on this deed, dated April 28, 1794, William and Jeane Dickson sold lot 86 to his son Samuel for 600 pounds. By a deed dated July 4, 1793, William, and Jeane sold for 140 pounds, for love and as part of his estate Lot 28 in Cherry Valley to his son William junior, but reserved the right during his life to enter the land it anytime and to take so much of the annual produce as he required for his support. He was named one of the executors in the will of James Willson, dated Feb. 3, 1794, and filed Jan 20, 1796, but did not qualify as he probably died in 1795. William Harper and Jellis Fonda, judges of Montgomery Co., NY, certified July 21, 1789 that William Dickson and his sons, William Jr., and Samuel and 28 other inhabitants were forced by the war to quit their farms and discharged them from the payment of all past and all future rents. Indians withdrew, with their captives, about two miles south of the settlement on the evening of the massacre. The children who were at home appear to have been Rosanna, Samuel, John, and Janet. Sawyer also states that at the time of the massacre most of the male inhabitants of Cherry Valley who were over sixteen years of age were serving in the army at distant points.

Col. William Harper in a letter to Governor Clinton, dated Dec. 2, 1778, reported that the wife of William Dickson had been killed and that his house and barn had been burned by the Indians.

After the massacre of Cherry Valley, NY, on Nov. 11, 1778, William Dickson took his motherless children to the Mohawk Valley and appears to have lived at Fort Hunter. The ravages of the Mohawk Valley by Tories and British in 1790 disclosed that Valley was no longer a safe place and he sought refuge in or near Philipstown, now Nassau, in Rensselaer Co., NY, until his return to Cherry Valley in 1783 after peace with England was agreed upon.

The new house he built is still standing and is owned by Mr. P. C. McCarthey. William Dickson and his sons Benjamin and James signed a petition dated Feb. 23, 1778, asking that rangers under competent officers be assigned to guard Cherry Valley. Four lists of the suffers of the Cherry Valley massacre contain his name as the head of a family namely:-The list dated Schenectady NY, Nov. 26, 1778, states his family consisted of 8 persons; the list dated March 29, 1779, give his family as 9 persons of whom 3 could not support themselves; the list dated April 13, 1779, gave his family as 9 persons; the list of sufferers in the Canajoharie district, dated April 30, 1779, gave his family as 9 persons of whom 4 were not able to work.

While his family was living at Philipstown, NY, his sons Benjamin and James married and lived with him. He is listed in the census of 1790 with a family of 3 males over 16, (himself and his sons Samuel and John) and 2 females (his daughter Janet and his second wife) .

The Dickson lineage has been traced to Count Teon descendent of Bali Mawr, King of all England and Wales. To the year 558 A.D.


by Jay Gould - 1856

The following year, 1741, the Rev. Samuel Dunlop, who had been prevailed upon by the generous proprietor of the patent to settle in Cherry Valley, induced several families among his acquaintances and friends to locate there also. Among these are the names David Ramsay, William Galt, James Campbell, and William Dickson, from Londonderry, New Hampshire, to which place they had emigrated from the north of Ireland, some years previously. These pioneers were peculiarly calculated to become the founders of a flourishing settlement - energetic, hardy, inured to toil, and susceptible of endurance. But in their new homes they experienced many privations unlooked for and unprepared for, the story of which deterred many others from following them, and hence, during the ten subsequent years only one or two families came into the valley, and the little germ of a settlement struggled on alone.


Marriages and Deaths
from Vol. X of Proceedings & Collections of Wyoming Historical & Geological Society

DICKSON, WILLIAM, d. August 13, 1811, at an advanced age.

Is this our William Dickson? In 1811, he would have been "an advanced age."

Notes for +Elizabeth Campbell:
Murdered in the Cherry Valley Massacre on November 11, 1778. Scalped. House and barn burned down. Three of the children were home at the time but were unharmed.

Elizabeth's tombstone - Cherry Valley Cemetery

DICKSON, Elizabeth, wife of William Dickson, who was barbarously murdered by the savages on the 11th of Nov. 1778, aged 48 yrs. 9 mos. Monument erected by her affectionate son, Samuel Dickson.

Monument in Cherry Valley Cemetery:

"Monument sacred to the memory of those who died by massacre in the destruction of the village at the hands of Indians and Tories under Brant and Butler, November 11, 1778.

Col. Ichabod Alden and XIV private soldiers, the wife of Rev. Samuel Dunlop, Robt. Wells, his wife, Mary Dunlop, their four children, John Wells, Jane Wells, three servants, Wm. Gallt, Mrs. Elizabeth Dickson, Mrs. Eleanor Cannon, the wife and four children of Hugh Mitchell, Mr. and Mrs. Gill, Mrs. Jane Scott, and others, above forty in all, whose bodies lie near this spot; mostly in a common grave beneath this stone, also Lieut. Robt. (- - - dell), killed at Oriskany; Lieut. Wormwood, shot by Brant at Tekarawa; Major Robt. McKean and his men who fell at Durlach."


"At the beginning of the Revolution, Joseph Brant (Thayendanegea) was a prominent Mohawk chieftain who was intimately associated with the Johnsons and warmly favored the royal cause. He received a tolerable English education under the patronage of Sir William Johnson, and was afterward sent to England, where he was feasted and toasted as his predecessors had been in that country, and returned in the winter of 1776 . . . [O]n his way westward he was met by Walter Butler, then a fugitive from justice. He had been arrested as a spy and condemned to death, but had been reprieved and imprisoned at Albany, whence he escaped and joined his father, Colonel John Butler, at Niagara. He now obtained command of two hundred Tories for an incursion into the Mohawk valley, and meeting Brant, prevailed upon him to join the expedition for an attack upon Cherry Valley.

Colonel Alden, who was in command of the fort at that place, received information of the intended attack, but treated it as a false alarm. On the morning of the 11th of November, the little village was attacked, the inhabitants indiscriminately slaughtered and their dwellings burned. Thirty-two inhabitants, mostly women and children, and sixteen soldiers of the garrison were brutally murdered. Colonel Alden, in attempting to escape, was tomahawked and scalped. About forty prisoners were taken and conducted down the valley for the night encampment, where they were huddled together, some of them with little clothing and all without shelter, with no resting-place but the cold ground. Next day, finding the women and children cumbersome, most of them were sent back to the ruins of the village. For this infamous piece of work Butler was mainly responsible. " History of Broome County, New York


From: Encyclopedia of the Presbyterian Church in the United States (online)
“Early Presbyterian Congregations in America” Alfred Nevin, editor;
Presbyterian Publishing Co. 1884.

Cherry Valley Presbyterian Church, New York -- Established 1741

      It is among the oldest of the churches of the Denomination in the country. It came into existence in 1741. In 1738, George Clark, Lieutenant-Governor of the province of New York, granted a patent of 8000 acres of land, covering the site of the town, to four proprietors, one of whom, John Lindesay, a Scotch gentleman, bought out his associates and went to settle upon it. While in New York, preparing for the removal of his family, he formed a friendship with the Rev. Samuel Dunlop, a young Presbyterian minister of Irish birth, but educated at Edinburgh, who had traveled over the South, and was arranging for a tour through the North. He persuaded him to join in colonizing the land, and while he went with his family to make their home upon it, Mr. Dunlop went to Londonderry, New Hampshire, to persuade some of the Scotch-Irish, who in 1718 had immigrated there, to accompany him to it. Meanwhile, Mr. Lindesay and his family narrowly escaped starvation. No white inhabitants lived nearer to them than the Schoharie Creek, where some Germans made an abode in 1713. Ignorant of the winters of that region, Mr. Lindesay brought on scanty supplies, and at the point of their exhaustion, he found himself and his family in impassable snow. Just then a friendly Indian came along, and by repeated visits, on snowshoes to the Mohawk, he kept them in stores until the opening Spring raised their blockade.

      In due time Mr. Dunlap and his party arrived, and distributing themselves about on the farms they selected, they became the fathers of the place, Mr. Lindsay retreating from the rigors of the climate and the roughness of pioneer life. A house of worship was a necessity with such people, and one of logs, used also as a school room, was immediately put up, the first, it may be remarked, of a series of five, the second being used likewise as a fort, and the third an erection of the returned fugitives from the world-wide known "massacre," and like themselves, stripped of furniture and totally bare, and the fourth, a frame building, sufficiently pretty for a model, and actually performing the graceful and valuable part of spreading a tasteful ecclesiastical architecture. The fifth, now standing [1884], and solid enough for all coming generations, has three varieties of stone in the composition of its walls, an interior finish of solid walnut, and, while plain and substantial, is of both cheerful and dignified air. Its distinction, however is the fact that it is a gift to the congregation by a female communicant, in recognition of "the connection of her family with the town from its early settlement, and with the church for four generations, and as a memorial to her beloved parents and dear sister."

      Composed of eight families, in 1752, by 1765 the colony consisted of forty. The French and Indian wars kept them perpetually exposed to inroads and slaughter, and at the same time trained them to arms. Then followed the Revolutionary struggle. No prophetic pen was needed to foreknow the side the Scotch-Irish of Cherry Valley would take. Its church was the place of meeting of a county committee of the patriots, May, 1775, which declared "our fixed attachment and entire approbation of the proceedings of the grand Continental Congress, held at Philadelphia, last fall; and that we will support the same to the extent of our power, and that we will, religiously and inviolably observe the regulations of that august body." They obeyed the call of General Herkimer to fly to the relief of Fort Stanwix, but being at the eastern extremity of the country, their company could not reach Oriskany in time for the battle. Two of their number, however, a Major and Lieutenant Colonel participated in it, the latter of whom led off the field the regiment of Colonel Cox, who was killed. The leading men of the place were engaged in various parts of the land. "No less than thirty-three have turned out for immediate service and the good of their country," the whole population being less than three hundred, was the statement in a petition to
the Provincial Congress, asking needful protection.

      One of the Indian paths, from Windsor, Broome County, to the Mohawk, passed through Cherry Valley, and so kept the inhabitants in apprehension of incursions from them. Early in the summer of 1776, signs appeared of their coming, and a company of rangers was ordered to the place. Those of the people who had held military commissions, or had passed the age for military service, formed themselves into military corps, and as scalping parties were prowling about, the farmers went to the fields in squads, some standing guard while others engaged in work. The house of Colonel Samuel Campbell, the largest in the place, and situated on elevated ground, was turned into a fortification, and the people gathered in it, bringing with them the most valuable of their goods, and there they remained during the most of the Summer, and then returned to their homes.

      A regular fort was subsequently built by the order of General La Fayette, and manned by a Continental regiment, made up of Eastern soldiers, but little trained in Indian warfare. After the Indian massacre at Wyoming, in July, 1778, warning was given of a contemplated descent on Cherry Valley, but the inexperienced yet brave commander failed to give suitable heed to it, and refused the request of the people to be permitted to take shelter in the fort, or to deposit their valuables there, and he himself quartered outside, at the house of Mr. Robert Wells. On the morning of November 11th, the savages swooped down from a hilltop, in the evergreens of which they had lain concealed, and struck their talons into the ill-fated community. They consisted largely of the Senecas, then the most ferocious of the Iroquois, and were attended by still more brutal Tories. One party rushed into the house of Mr. Wells and murdered every inmate--Mr.. Wells, his mother, wife, four children, brother, sister, and three servants--and but one of the family escaped--John Wells, a youth at the time, who had been left the previous Summer with an aunt at Schenectady, to attend a Grammar school there, and who subsequently became on of the most eminent lawyers of the land. A Tory boasted that he had killed Mr.. Wells while at prayer. Pursuing his sister Jane to a woodpile, where she fled for safety, and in spite of her supplications, in his language, which she understood, and in spite of the entreaties of an intercedin Tory, a savage, with a single blow of his tomahawk, smote her to death. The commander started for the fort, refusing to surrender, snapping a wet pistol at his pursuer, a tomahawk aimed at his head fatally struck it, and the scalping knife followed.

      Similar scenes were enacted at other houses, and individual barbarities perpetrated, the thought of which horrifies and sickens the soul. Thirty-two, principally women and children, were slain, with all the horrors that demons could enact, and the terribleness of the scene was intensified by the fierce flames that burnt up every house and outhouse. A few escaped to the Mohawk, but between thirty and forty of the others who survived were carried away prisoners. Divided into small companies, they were placed in charge of different parties, and so commenced their journey for what parts they knew not and could not surmise. The first day Mrs.. Cannon, an aged and infirm matron, gave out, and was killed at the side of her daughter, who was driven along with the bloody hatchet bathed in her mother's blood, and to whom three children clung, and in whose arms a fourth eighteen months old, lay. On the second day the rest of the women and children were sent back, but Mrs. Campbell and Mrs. Moore and their children were taken, between two and three hundred miles, to near the site of the present town of Geneva, and here their children were torn from them and given to different Indians, and scattered through Canada. When recovered, years after, they had forgotten their mothers' tongue, and learned the language, habits and tastes of their savage keepers.

      The venerable pastor of the church, with one of his daughters, was premitted to live, through the interposition of a Mohawk, but his wife was murdered, and her mangled arm, torn from her body, was tossed into an apple tree, which stood long after as the monument of the fiendish deed. His house was razed to the ground, and his library scattered, and himself carried away as a prisoner. Released in a few days, he made his way to New York, and about a year after sank under his sufferings, and laid down in the grave.
      One of his parishioners, having gone into the fields, saw a party of Indians and Tories approaching his house, but did not dare to go back. Secreting himself in the woods until they left, he returned to his house, which had been plundered and set on fire, and there he beheld the corpses of his wife and four children. One of his children, a little girl of ten or twelve years of age, showed signs of life, and while lifting her up he saw another party approach, and had barely time to hide himself beside a log fence, when they entered in, an d he saw an infamous Tory lift his hatchet and butcher the child.

      Reinforcement came the day after the massacre, but, instead of defending the living, it only remained to them to bury the dead. The inhabitants were exterminated, and their homes were burned up. The little church in the fort survived the otherwise universal ruin for two or three years and then a party of marauders gave it, too, to the flames.

      For seven years the place remained a desolation, and without a human denizen. In 1784-5, the old inhabitants began to return, and soon after a meeting was called to reorganize the society. But no Mr.. Dunlap came back. It took till 1790 to erect another house of worship, and that stood in the barest plight, and only now and then, as some passing preacher stopped, did it echo a minister's voice. Mr. Solomon Spaulding, who amused himself by the writing of a fiction which with no thought of the kind on his part was adopted as the Mormon Bible, occasionally filled the pulpit, but no regular services were held until Rev. Eliphalet Nott, afterwards the distinguished President of Union College, established them in 1795. In 1798 he was called to Albany, and the church was again left to casual supplies until 1802, when they were statedly enjoyed for a year, and also again in 1806, and still again in 1810, when the Rev. Eli F. Cooley entered on the charge and remained in it for ten years; and, up to 1883, twenty-two pastors and stated supplies have served the church. The Rev. H.U. Swinnerton, Ph.D. who is the present pastor, has prepared an "Historical Account" of the church, which is full of interest.

Children of +William Dickson and +Elizabeth Campbell are:
  i.   Benjamin Dickson, born 25/Dec/1753 in Cherry Valley, New York; died 04/Mar/1839 in Vernon Township, Crawford County, Pennsylvania; married Esther Morris; born 1750 in New Haven, Connecticut; died Bef. 1838.
  Notes for Benjamin Dickson:
Lieut. in revolution.
Pennsylvania Pensioners of 1835
County: Crawford Co.
Name: Benjamin Dickson
Rank: Private & lieutenant
Annual Allowance: 136.17
Sums Received: 408.51
Description of service: New York militia
When placed on the pension roll: May 2, 1833
Commencement of pension: March 4, 1831
Age: 81
Laws under which inscribed, increased or reduced OR Remarks.: -

  More About Benjamin Dickson:
Occupation: Farmer and millwright

  68 ii.   +James Dickson, born 03/Feb/1756 in Cherry Valley, New York; died 03/Jun/1842 in Erie County, Pennsylvania; married (1) +Mary Morris 1779 in Great Barringtonn, Massachusetts; married (2) Rachel Lawrence 1837.
  iii.   Rosana Dickson, born 10/Oct/1758 in Cherry Valley, New York; died Unknown; married Andrew Willson; died Unknown.
  iv.   William Dickson, born 28/Oct/1760 in Cherry Valley, New York; died 04/Feb/1836 in Ripley, New York; married Sarah Griffiin Jun/1787 in Middlefield, New York; born 1769; died 16/Jul/1849 in Warren, New York.
  Notes for William Dickson:
Granted a license as tavern keeper in Cherry Valley in 1802.

Served in the American Revolution. Wounded when on board of Major Shandonette's barge, near Kings Ferry, by a shot from a British vessel, in right shoulder and arm which broke his collarbone and shoulder blade. --- "Some of the Descendants of William Dickson and Elizabeth Campbell of Cherry Valley, New York," - compiled by Tracy Campbell Dickson, Brigadier General, U.S. Army, Retired, 1937.

"Died without issue."

  More About Sarah Griffiin:
Burial: Jul/1849, Warren Cemetery, Warren New York

  v.   Robert Dickson, born 10/Feb/1763 in Cherry Valley, Ostego, New York; died 20/Aug/1832 in Ripley, Chautuaqua, New York; married (1) Olive Hungerford 19/May/1784 in Middlefield, New York; born 25/Mar/1764 in New Fairfield, Conneticut; died 18/Jan/1813 in Ripley, New York; married (2) Ruth Rich Griffin 09/Feb/1817 in Cherry Valley, New York; born 28/Feb/1786 in Cherry Valley, New York; died 20/Jun/1865 in Harford, New York.
  Notes for Robert Dickson:
Built with Richard Baker the first saw mill in Ripley, New York; was the first postmaster of Ripley, New York; was associate judge of county court; and was elected commissioner of schools at first town meeting of Ripley, April 7, 1829. He organized and took a company of volunteers to the defense of Buffalo, New York, in the winter of 1813-1814.

Also served during the American Revolution.

"His brother James, made an affidavit October 13, 1832, that he and Robert lived with their father in Cherry Valley until February 1778, when he organized a company of batteau-men and was absent until he returned on furlough in June, 1778, at which time his brother, Robert, then 16 years of age, but large, athletic in person, ambitious and spirited in the cause of the revolution, had enrolled in the militia and was on duty in the garrison, and remembers Robert going out with a scouting party. The affidavit states: 'On the morning of November 11, 1778, Robert, then being at his father's home, was sent by his father on an erran on horseback a few miles distant, and on his return fell in with a a party of about 800 Indians and Tories, within a mile and a half of his father's home. Finding that he was stopped in that direction, he turned his horse towards the garrison, about 3/4 mile distant, and soon fell in with a flanking party of the enemy between him and the fort. In this predicament he determined to pass or die, and putting his horse to his speed rushed on; the enemy attempted to bayonet his horse and as soon as he got by discharged volleys of musketry at him, but though the bullets were falling thickly around him, he escaped and rode through the sallyport and entered the garrison in safety. It was reported that Brandt frequently declared he would have surprised and taken the garrison had it not been 'for a little damned Yankee boy, that they could not take or shoot from his horse, and who gave the alarm.' Among others killed and scalped was the mother of deponent and of said Robert." -- -- "Some of the Descendants of William Dickson and Elizabeth Campbell of Cherry Valley, New York," compiled by Tracy Campbell Dickson, Brigadier General, U.S. Army, Retired, 1937.

Soldiers of the American Revolution, Author: no author, Call Number: F127.C7D2

This book contains the names of soldiers of the American Revolution who were residents of Chautauqua County, New York.

Bibliographic Information: Soldiers of the American Revolution. 1925.

Page 57:

DICKSON, ROBERT--Born Feb. 10, 1763. Died Aug. 20, 1832. Grave in Cemetery, town of Ripley, Chautauqua County, N. Y. He was born in Cherry Valley, N. Y., and during the massacre at that settlement in 1778 his mother was killed. The terrible tragedy of her death so enraged the boy he tried to enlist in the Continental army to revenge the murder of his beloved mother, but being too young to enter the ranks as a soldier he was accepted as a drummer boy and served in that capacity until his age permitted entrance in the regular service. In 1809 he moved from Cherry Valley, N. Y., to Ripley, Chautauqua County, N. Y., where he purchased lands for his home. In 1815 he gave an acre of land in the settlement of Ripley for use as a burying-ground and which is now the Cemetery where his grave is located with a D. A. R. marker: "Robert Dickson, 7th N. Y. Mil. Rev. War." His wife, Olive, died Jan. 18, 1812, in the 48th year of her age, and her grave is beside husband. Their sons were Samuel, William, Robert C., Fayette and Andrew and their daughters were Jane, who married Joseph Cass, and Olive who married Judd W. Cass.


East Ripley Cemetery

Robert DICKSON, b 2/10/1763 died 8/20/1832 Revolutionary War Soldier

DICKSON, ROBERT--Born Feb. 10, 1763. Died Aug. 20, 1832. Grave in *EAST RIPLEY Cemetery, town of Ripley, Chautauqua County, N. Y. He was born in Cherry Valley, N. Y., and during the massacre at that settlement in 1778 his mother was killed. The terrible tragedy of her death so enraged the boy he tried to enlist in the Continental army to revenge the murder of his beloved mother, but being too young to enter the ranks as a soldier he was accepted as a drummer boy and served in that capacity until his age permitted entrance in the regular service. In 1809 he moved from Cherry Valley, N. Y., to Ripley, Chautauqua County, N. Y., where he purchased lands for his home.
In 1815 he gave an acre of land in the settlement of Ripley for use as a burying-ground and which is now the Cemetery where his grave is located with a D. A. R. marker: "Robert Dickson, 7th N. Y. Mil. Rev. War." His wife, Olive *HUNGERFORD, died Jan. 18, 1812, in the 48th year of her age, and her grave is beside husband. Their sons were Samuel, William, Robert C., Fayette and Andrew and their daughters were Jane, who married Joseph Cass, and Olive who married Judd W. Cass.
Soldiers of the American Revolution, 1925
G 16

  More About Robert Dickson:
Occupation: Farmer and Innkeeper, Middlefield Center, New York

  vi.   Samuel Dickson, born 01/Apr/1765 in Cherry Valley, New York; died 26/Aug/1822 in Cherry Valley, New York; married Eleanor Campbell in Cherry Valley, New York; born 11/Nov/1770 in Cherry Valley, Otsego, New York; died 04/Oct/1844 in Cherry Valley, New York.
  vii.   John Dickson, born 27/Apr/1767 in Cherry Valley, New York; died 1822 in Ripley, New York; married Elizabeth Sutphen 1795; born 02/Mar/1780 in Cherry Valley, New York; died 19/Apr/1854 in Racine, Wisconsin.
  Notes for John Dickson:
Killed by a falling tree while riding horseback to prayer meeting during a severe storm.

  viii.   Janet Dickson, born 28/Jun/1769 in Cherry Valley, New York; died Aft. 1850 in Kalamazoo, MI; married Oliver Gibbs 1793; born 1770 in Blandford, Mass; died 09/Aug/1820 in Onondaga Co., NY.

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]
Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009