Some of my ancesters, Howard, Griffin, Brooks, Bowers
Updated March 11, 2005
My wife Judy and I worked three years researching and cataloging these family files. We searched cemeteries in the snow & ice, libraries, courthouses, family bibles and talked to hundreds of relatives in getting this information together. As with any genealogical file there may be mistakes in spelling of names, dates, etc. We were raised only ten miles apart Judy in Anson and I in Union County, NC. We left home in 1957 and raised our family in several locations through out the USA. Our children did not realize they had relatives other than their grandparents, uncles and aunts. Their interest encouraged us to do this work so they would know where their roots are. Please inform me of any mistakes you find or additions you may have that will make these reports more complete.
DESCENDANTS OF JAMES HOWARD
James Howard was born September 28, 1765 in England; he married Rosanah Barbee April 8 1781. They had four children, three boys and one girl. James died September 26, 1840. We believe James Howard came to North Carolina and settled in Wake County.
Myrick Howard was James and Rosanah Barbee Howard’s oldest son. He was born October 12, 1782 in England and came by way of Virginia and Wake County to Stanly County. He married Milea Yates December 1, 1803 in Wake County, North Carolina. They had 12 children and eventually settled in Stanly County. Many of their descendants are still living in that area. Most of them now go by the name of Harward instead of Howard.
Myrick Howard bought possibly 1000 acres of land on the Rocky River in the south central section of what is now Stanly County. It is said he purchased the land from a man named Sneed who had received a large land grant from the King of England. The family story also states that the price paid for the land was 10 cents per acre. Perhaps this early Sneed was connected with the English family that settled old Sneedsboro, on the Pee Dee River between Wadesboro and Cheraw, South Carolina. Myrick Howard lived in the Rocky River-Long Creek Valley and is buried in the old Harward cemetery near the forks of these streams and about three miles east of Oakboro. Well-preserved headstones mark the graves of he and his wife Milea. He was a member of a Baptist Church and Milea a Primitive Baptist Church.
The 1850 Stanly County census lists Myrick's last name as Howard, the 1860 Stanly County census lists his last name as Harward. The same thing happened to all his sons that lived in Stanly County. Malekiah Howard another one of Myrick sons lived in Anson County and his name remained Howard. Malekiah Howard is James Thomas Howard's father and Thomas Arthur Howard's grandfather. I have not been able to determine why the family changed their name. Malekiah is buried in the Harward Cemetery with his father Myrick.
James Thomas Howard born in 1837 and his wife Rebecca Jane Allen were born July 24, 1837. They are the parents of Thomas Arthur Howard who many of us remember.
James and Rebecca had a colorful and very difficult life. He was a veteran of the Civil War and was severally wounded. All indications are that he eventually died from this wound. Rebecca was born in Tennessee and her father Miles Allen was killed by a prisoner he had in custody when she was a young girl. The 1850 census shows she and her brothers and sisters were living in Anson County, North Carolina with her mother Eliza Morris Allen Brooks and her stepfather Alexander Brooks.
James volunteered for service in the Confederate Army May 10, 1862. He was a Private in Company K. 26 Reg. North Carolina Infantry (State Troops). He was 5 Ft. 8 1/2 in tall and had black hair, gray eyes and a fair complexion. He was 25 years old at this time,
On September 15, 1862, he was admitted to the Episcopal Church Hospital at Williamsburg VA. He was released for duty on October 14, 1862. He was wounded at Gettysburg on July 3, 1863. Admitted to the Hospital (Richmond General #9) July 15, 1863. Tran
Reece Haskel Howard
1859 Royal Fern Lane
Orange Park, Fl 32003
904 215 6324
Edit Your Page
(viewing trees requires 4.0 or later)
- Photo of Thomas Arthur Howard's family (90 KB)
(LR) Fulton Brooks & wife Beatrice Howard Brooks, Tom & Mollie, Chloe & Earl (FR) Fulton ( (Virginia Brooks ) ,Hart(holding Glenn) Carrie (holding G.W.) Fronnie Howard
- JamesThomas and Rebecca Allen Howard (924 KB)
James was wounded in the Civil war and evential died from those wounds many yars later in a Veterans Hospital
- Adam & Bedie Brooks children (169 KB)
Family photo of Dora, lula, Mattie, Ila, Fulton, Carrie & Ruby Brooks
- Ben Howard & his grand daughter Margaret Howard (207 KB)
This was the only time Margart saw her grandfather Ben Howard
- Fulton & Ruby Howard holding Glenn Howard (63 KB)
My Dad and Mom
- Conley Griffin's children, son of Jonah Griffin (208 KB)
Gene, Edsel, Ruth and Conley Griffin
- Carl Barker and Marilyn Howard Barker (68 KB)
Marilyn is the gdaughter of Robert Howard, and ggGrand daughter of James Thomas Howard
- Adam & Bedie Brooks (18 KB)
Adam & Bedie were my Great Grand parents
- Confederate cemetery Mt. Jackson, Va (1453 KB)
There was a Confererate Hospital Hospital located at the site of this cemetery where 360 Confederate soldiers are buried in a common grave.
- Ken Robertson and Margaret Howard Robertson (189 KB)
Ken and Margaret live in Arkansas. She is the Grand daughter of Ben Howard
- Andrew Griffin & family (17 KB)
Andrew with his daughter Mary her two sons their wives and unknown persons
- John & Bonnie Howard and their sons (241 KB)
John and Bonnie Howard's two boys John Jr. & Miles Howard. Both these childern died before becoming an adult
- Fulton & Ruby Howard (78 KB)
Fulton and Ruby Drye Howard. Fulton is the son of Thomas Arthur Howard
- Dora, Lula, Mattie and Carrie Brooks, (104 KB)
They are daughters of Adam and Bedie Brooks
- Ruby Drye Howard (37 KB)
- John & Bonnie Howard son James (823 KB)
John and Bonnie Howard and adopted son James Wade Howard
- Howard Coat of Arms (6 KB)
This coat of arms was copied from an English genealogy web page.
- Andrew Griffin and some of his family (136 KB)
The man with the beard is Andrew Griffin, standing beside him is his daugher Mary and her two sons (standing) Tom and John Griffin
- Fulton and wife Beatrice Howard Brooks (17 KB)
Fulton in the only son of Adam Brooks and Beatrice is the daughter of Tom Howard
- Marcia Anita Howard Hunter Curry & Son (179 KB)
Marcia Anita Howard Hunter Curry & son Andrew W. Hunter
- Jollie & Virginia Brooks (29 KB)
Children of Beatrice Howard Brooks & Fulton Brooks
- Estelle Grifin (231 KB)
Daughter of Jonah and Lougenia Griffin
- Lula Brooks Drye & Carrie Brooks Howard (96 KB)
Lula and Carrie are daughters of Adam Brooks
- Vickie Howard (39 KB)
Vickie is the daughter of Glenn and Doris Howard and Grand daughter of Hart and Carrie Howard
- Harold Griffin (135 KB)
Harold is the son on Jopnah & Lougenia Griffin
- Adia Griffin (64 KB)
Daughter of Jonah & Lougenia Griffin
- Mollie Howard and her children (94 KB)
Tom and Mollie's children
- Jacob Coffman Howard (148 KB)
Jacob is the step son of Richard Howard
- Robert & Sophonia Howard (625 KB)
Robert is the son of James Thomas Howard
- Alex Coffman Howard (148 KB)
Alex is the stepson of Richard Howard
- Robert and Sophonia Howard and their children (943 KB)
Robert Howard in the son of James Thomas Howard
- Home of Mattie Brooks & husband Buren Thomas (1742 KB)
This home is located on Dusty Lane, New Salem, NC. Mattie's parents Adam and Bedie Brooks gave each one of their children 92 acreas of land to build their home on. Her partical of land is located next to Adam & Bedie's home site.
- Fulton & Ruby Drye Howard (141 KB)
This picure was taken while they were vactioning in the mountains of N.C. either in 1950 or 1951.
- Pearl & Wilma Bowers Thomas (9 KB)
- ILa and Wriston Drye (21 KB)
My maternal grand parents
- Lougenia and Jonah Griffin (28 KB)
My Grand mother Bedie Griffin Brooks's brother
- Thomas Arthur Howard (94 KB)
Thomas Howard was the youngest son of James Howard that lived.
- Ada Simpson, Veda Griffin, Maude Nance & Husbands (25 KB)
Ada, Maude and Conley are Jonah Griffins children
- Richard Michael Howard (20 KB)
This picture was taken December 1986 at his wedding. He was an Airman in the USAF at this time.
- George & Dora Brooks Godwin, dau of Adam Brooks (304 KB)
This picture was taken February 28, 1931 just 6 days before their wedding
- Judy, Reece,Rhonda & Richard Howard (30 KB)
Picture was taken at Cecil Field NAS Jax Fl Sept 1970.
- Ruby Drye Howard (51 KB)
Ruby is my mother and the daughter of Ila Brooks and grand daughter of Adam and Bedie Brooks
- George & Dora Brooks (178 KB)
This picture was taken later in their lives, the exact date is not known.
- Deep Springs School (154 KB)
This is a one room School located near Peachland NC and where many of the Bowers children went to school
- Gene, Edsel, Ruth and Conley Griffin (208 KB)
Conely is the son of Jonah & Louginia Griffin
- Dora, McClain & George Godwin (169 KB)
This picture was taken beside their home which was a converted one room School house located at New Salem, NC.
- G.W. Howard (73 KB)
G.W. Was one of my absolutely favorites cousins, he was killed November 28, 1950 in a car wreck at the age of 21 years old and shortly after getting discharged from the USAF.
- Ben & Julia Howard's House (210 KB)
Ben and Julia raised 14 children in this small house
- Carolyn Howard Bock & sons Karl & Kurt (152 KB)
Carolyn is the daughter of Hugh Howard and she was raised in Arkadelphia, Arkansas.
- Wilma Anna Bowers Thomas (13 KB)
Judy's mother picture taken Christmas 1997 at Judy's home in Monroe NC.
- CoraHoward & Jonah Nance on their wedding date (403 KB)
This is a wedding picture.The picture was taken in front of his house located on the banks of Rocky River and they make this their life long home.
- Gladys Edwards Godwin & Vance McClain Godwin (162 KB)
This picture was taken while they were dating in 1954
- Rhonda and Rick our children (12 KB)
Picture was taking at Christmas 1997
- Jonah Nance & Cora Howard Nance's children (429 KB)
Wilson, Addie, Clay, Virginia, Betty, Hoover & Lyvon, Nance children of Cora Howard Nance. Cora is the daughter of Henry Howard
- Gladys & McClain and their family (253 KB)
Gladys & McClain Godwin with sons Gary, Eddie & Earnest, Thier wives Sangrae Lee, Anita Hopkins and their children
- Ben & Julia Howard and 13 Children (273 KB)
Ben is the son of James Thomas Howard
- Harold Griffin (135 KB)
Harold is the son of Jonah Griffin. He was a soldier in WWII.
- Lula, Ila & Mattie Brooks (517 KB)
These three young ladies are the children of Adam & Bedie Brooks
- Ben and Julia Howard's home. (210 KB)
In this modest very small house Ben and Julia raises 14 children.
- Chauncey D. Hinson & Carrie Mae Griffin & Children (684 KB)
Chauncey & Carrie Mae's children, Heath, Everett, Doris & Laurin. Carrie is the daughter of Jonah Griffin.
- Ruby Drye Howard (51 KB)
Ruby is the daughter of Ila Griffin Drye and Grand daughter if Adam and Bedie Brooks
- Kenneth & Margaret Howard Robertson & Sons (150 KB)
Kenneth & Margaret with their sons Ben & George Robertson. Margaret is the daughter of Hugh Howard of Arkadelphia, Arkansas.
- Frank & Marcia Howard Curry (156 KB)
Marcia is the daughter of Hugh Howard.