Notes for Otho Gilbert: In the 1460's Geoffrey Gilbert's great grandson Otho provied West Country ships to fight the French, who continued to threaten the south coasts of Devon and Cornwall. His loyal service to the Crown was recognised in 1475, when he was appointed Sheriff of Devon.
Between around 1450 and 1475, he rebuilt and extended the west end of the castle, which contained the family quarters, and improved the Chapel. He was buried in nearby Marldon church, which he partly rebuilt and where he is commemorated by a handsome canopied tomb.
Otho's son, John (d. 1539), succeeded to the estate in 1494 and around 1520 made the final major changes to the house