This site is dedicated to all of MY ANCESTORS, Especially to my MOTHER, Helen Hess Jones. She went to be with HER LORD JESUS, ON 25-FEB-2006. She is to be credited with providing a lot of the info on the related families and identification of old pictures.
A large part of the info on this site was compiled from the internet. The reports on Delcenia Jones, William Micheals and James Harvey Hess have been researched extensively. These three reports are pretty much accurate. The other reports and tree have not been looked at as close. So please, if you find info on your ancestors, you should verify it yourself. I ask that you let me know of any incorrect info, I will correct it ASP.
Hopefully, other people will find something to help them in their research.
- John and Mary Ray with children (33 KB)
John and Mary Ray with their daughters, Bertha(on left), Lula(Center), and Georgia on the Right. their son Reese sitting on his lap.
- Aerial view of Horton Ridge (139 KB)
Another view of Horton Ridge and west Raven with highlighted sites
- J. H. Hess (95 KB)
J.H. Hess group # 9 working on railroad (this was written on the back of the original photo) Gladys Lou Horton and Helen L. Jones g-children of James H. Hess said the two men in the middle left are James and their father Luther F. Hess.(taken abt. 1895)
- Red Ash Sunday School (243 KB)
Red Ash Sunday School, Arvilla Ray (1st wife of Wilse Ray) is the teacher. Date unknown
- Jonah Ray (30 KB)
Jonah is the son of John and Mary Ray, and the brother of Bertha Ray
- Isaac and Bertha Ray Hess Jones (55 KB)
My Paternal Grandfather and My Maternal were married after the death of their previous spouses
- Burgess Hess (47 KB)
Burgess Hess, son of Mathias R. Hess, date unknown
- Bertha "Ray" Hess (60 KB)
Bertha with her children Olaf,Larry "Ett", Helen and Charlotte.(taken abt 1935)
- Isaac Jones (55 KB)
Grandpa and his dog
- Leonard and Berkley Hess (41 KB)
Leonard Hess (son of Mathias R. Hess "Mack") on the left. Berkley Hess, son of Luther and Bertha Ray Hess.
- Isaac "Ike" Jones (55 KB)
Isaac (center) with his son Harley on his right and his son-in-law Jessie Lambert on his left. Jessie is the husband of Annie Jones.
- Columbus Hess and Son (62 KB)
Columbus Hess (son of Mathias R. "Mack" Hess) and his son (name unknown)
- James H. Hess Cemetery (34 KB)
The cemetery is located: Rte. 67 out of Raven, turn right on rd. 635 toward Horton Ridge, the cemetery is on a knoll above the 2nd house on the right.
- Paul Jackson Jones (44 KB)
Summer of 1954
- Silas Ray, Bud Dye and Cummings May (24 KB)
Courtesy of Vernon Miller
- John and Mary Ray (12 KB)
courtesy of Carol Ray
- Bettie Michaels Howard and her two babies (95 KB)
A picture postcard from Bettie Michaels Howard to her sister Mollie Michaels Jenkins in Mountain City, Tn.
- Paul Jackson "Jack" Jones Jr. (11 KB)
Son of Paul Jackson Jones Sr. and Helen Hess Jones
- Iradell Ray (6 KB)
Son of John Ray and Elizabeth Hess. Courtesy of Carl Ray.
- William Lawrence "Bill" Jones (21 KB)
Bill was the son of Isaac and Eva Micheals Jones
- Sarah Elizabeth Whitt and J. Elias Hill (28 KB)
Sarah was always referred to as: "Aunt Sis" by my mother's family( Sarah was first married to a Hess.
- Wilse Ray (33 KB)
Son of John and Mary Ray. Courtesy of Bill Ray
- Charles Wesley and his son James Wesley Micheals (45 KB)
Charles W. Micheals and his son James Wesley, Taken in Montana in 1959. Charles or "Charlie" is the son of James Hamilton and Lucinda Elizabeth Owens Micheals, of Laurel Bloomery, Tn. He went to Meagher Co., Mt. abt 1900. He died 7-Sept-1970 In Meagher Co. photo, courtesy of Dee Kinnick. Daughter of James Wesley Micheals
- Archiebald Edward Hess (46 KB)
Son of Luther and Bertha Ray Hess
- William Alexander Micheals and his first wife (36 KB)
William was the son of James H. and Lucinda Owens Micheals from Laurel Bloomery, Tn,. He was born 14-July-1895, died 23-May-1928 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Him and his sister Laura Mae Moved to Meagher Co. Montana at a very early age. In the 1910 Census they were living w/their sister Venia and her husband William Jones. I'm not sure what his first wife name is yet. Photo courtesy of Dee Kinnick
- Ellen Jones (41 KB)
Ellen Jones (wife of Bert Jones) and two of their children (names unknown)
- Charlie, Mae and his son James W. Micheals (40 KB)
Charlie with his son James and his sister Mae, the little girl is Mae's grandaughter.
Eagle Creek Ranch, Montana 1948
Photo, courtesy of Dee Kinnick
- Bertha Ray (abt. 1945) (24 KB)
Daughter of John and Mary Ray. Wife of Luther F. Hess.
- John Ray (20 KB)
Son of John and Malinda Dye Ray. And his sister, believed to be Cynthia "Emma" Ray Ball(w/o C. Wilson Ball?) taken at a family reunion in Russell Co., Va.. Courtesy of Carol Ray.
- Flora Plaster Ray, John and Mary Ray (28 KB)
Flora was the w/o Jonah Ray. Taken in 1938 at the burial of Flora's son, Newton "Glen" Ray. Glen died at age 21 when he suffocated in the trunk of a friend's car. The friends had been drinking and had placed the inebriated Glen in the trunk. Courtesy of Carol Ray.
- Edna Jones Bryner and daughter Louise (104 KB)
Edna Jones was the daughter of Isaac and Eva Micheals Jones. She married Clyde Bryner
- Jonah and Flora Plaster Ray's sons (29 KB)
James Sherman (born 1911), Clint Arthur and Henry Ray. After their father's death, these brothers, along with their younger brother, Glen, went to live in an orphanage, An older brother, Jake, went to live with his grandparents, John and Mary Ray at their family farm. Courtesy of Carol Ray.
- Mattie Gertrude "Waddie" Jones (53 KB)
"Waddie" was the daughter of Isaac and Eva Micheals Jones. She married Pete Calendar
- Clint Arthur "Slick" Ray and Larry "Ett" Hess (18 KB)
Taken at Ett's sister, Dixie Dye's house on Horton Ridge.
- Louise and Eugene Bryner (53 KB)
The children of Clyde and Edna Jones Bryner
- Luther & Bertha Ray Hess with their dau. Charlotte (49 KB)
Taken at the old homeplace in Raven,Va..
- Mattie Gertrude "Waddie" Jones (102 KB)
"Waddie" was the daughter of Isaac and Eva Micheals Jones, she married Pete Calendar
- Hesses and Plasters (31 KB)
Helen, Mary and Peggy Hess (daughters of Luther and Bertha Hess). With Mary's Kids, Cecil and Margaret Plaster(Mary was married to John Dailey Plaster).
- Paul Jackson Jones Sr. (30 KB)
Paul was the son of Isaac and Eva Micheals Jones
- Howard Dye, Ett Hess and Winford Horton (30 KB)
Looks like it was taken at the old homeplace in Raven,Va..
- Eva Micheals Jones (75 KB)
Eva was the wife of Isaac Jones. Photo of her and some children and grand children
- Cathrine Hess Green and Tommy Horton (32 KB)
Cathrine was first married to James H. Hess. Second, to Robert Green. She was the mother of Luther Hess. Tommy, is the son of Winford and Lou Hess Horton.
- Isaac "Ike" Lambert (25 KB)
Ike was the son of Anna Jones and Jesse Lambert
- Aerial view of West Raven (121 KB)
A view from the air of James Hess cemetery and the old homeplace
- Isaac and Eva Jones kids and grandkids (126 KB)
Do you recognize any of the unknowns in this photo? If so, let me know
- Oman Winters and Ray Campbell (62 KB)
I'm not sure where these two fit in my tree. My grandmother Eva Micheals did have two sisters that married into the Winters and Campbell families in Johnson Co., Tn.
- Isaac and Eva Micheals Jones (63 KB)
Grandpa and Grandma Jones