Notes for Lewis Morgan: After Lewis Morgan married Christine White, he moved with his father, Thomas Morgan, and other family members to the area referred to as Southside, Virginia. At sometime during the 1750's, his second son, Amaziah, was captured at the age of five, by Indians in Virginia and taken to Paint Valley, Ross County, Ohio. The boy was discovered ten years later and negotiations by Lewis to free him were to no avail. By choice, Amaziah, stayed with the Indians, married and raised three daughters.
In 1765, Lewis Morgan is paid as a reader as stated in the Vestry Book of Antrim Parish, Halifax County. After taking the oath of allegiance to the revolutionary cause, he then moved with his two sons to Washington County, N.C. (now Green Co., TN). In 1781, Lewis, his wife, and son Thomas and wife enter into an indenture to sell 150 acres of land in Henry County, VA for the sum of 250 pounds current money of Virginia. The land is located near the ford and mouth of Chestnut Creek. In his deposition for this sale, he states that he surveyed the land himself, as recorded May 8, 1755, in the records of Halifax County. What is not stated is why his son Thomas, also signed the indenture, as he was not living on the land at the time Lewis made his survey. Court records in Greene County, Tennessee state he was required to do road work. He moved with his wife and son Adonijah's family to Kentucky after the Revolutionary War. Lewis Morgan took the oath of allegiance to the revolutionary cause on Sep 13, 1777 in Henry Co, VA. (VA Mag. of Hist. Vol 9, page 139. He is also listed on the rolls of men who participated in the Revolutionary War Battle with the Chicamauga Indians in the area of Lookout Mountain, Tennessee. He served three years in the North Carolina Centennial Line and received 640 acres of bounty land #2492. Roster of North Carolina Soldiers in the American Revolution, page 283, & 545.
More About Lewis Morgan: Military: Abt. 1777, Tennessee, N.C., & Henry Co., VA.
More About Lewis Morgan and Christine White: Marriage: Abt. 1749, Chester Co, PA.