Elizabeth Shaffer-dau.of Barbara Ann Fry Posted by: Lee Carr Date: November 30, 1999 at 21:08:46 of 2529
To clear up the controversy as to whether Elizabeth Shaffer's mother was Barbara Ann Fry or Eve Kelcher, I looked into my family records and found the following; Frederick Shaffer and Barbara Ann Fry had children, John, Elizabeth,(my GGGGG Grand.)Catherine, Sarah,Solomon, Polly, Frances Sinai,Jacob, Betsy Elizabeth,, Joseph,Frederick, Andrew, Eliza, Henry Franklin,and Benjamin. Betsy Elizabeth was also called Elizabeth by her family. When Elizabeth was married to John Whiteman, in 1804,Betsy Elizabeth was only 4 yrs. old, and since her sister was married and out of the house, everyone called Betsy Elizabeth. Betsy Elizabeth was the one who married Christopher Fry, in 1823.Barbara Ann Fry was my Elizabeth's mother, and Betsy's mother too. :} Lee Carr
Frederick Shaffer B- 14 Dec 1755 Shenandoah Co., VA. M- 25 Dec 1783 Woodstock Co., VA. D- 19 Dec 1855 Clinton Co., IN. Bur.- Old Gray Cem. Clinton co., IN. Father- Jacob Shaffer Mother- Elizabeth
Barbara Ann Fry B- 1764 D- 24 Jul 1845 Clinton Co., IN. Bur.- Old Gray Cem. Clinton Co., IN.
1) John Shaffer B- 24 May 1784 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va. M- 1 Mar 1806 to Catherine Ann Rinker- Green Co., TN. 2) Elizabeth B- 12 Jul 1785 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va. M- 1804 Wythe co., Va. to John B. Whiteman D- 27 Jan. 1842 Clinton Co.,IN. Bur. - Brandon Cem., Clinton Co., IN. ( They are my GGGGG Grandparents) 3) Catherine B- 1 Oct 1786 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., VA. M- 2 Aug 1805 Wythe Co., VA. to Thomas Hunter 4)Sarah B- 10 Feb 1789 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va. M- 2 Dec 1808 Wythe Co., Va. to Samuel Frazier 5) Solomon B- Abt. 1791 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va. 6) Polly B- Abt 1794 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., VA. M- 12 Feb 1811 Wythe Co., Va. to Thomas Frazier Jr. 7)Frances Sinai B- 3 May 1796 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va. M- 27 Mar 1820 Wythe Co., Va. to John Gray D- 1873 Clinton co., IN. Bur Old Gray Cem. 8) Jacob B- 12 Aug 1798 Woodstock, Shenandoah co., Va. M- 5 Apr 1821 Wythe Co., Va. D- 19 Aug 1839 9) Betsy Elizabeth B- 1800 Woodstock, Shenandoah co., Va. M- 1823 to Christopher Fry D- 1876 10) Joseph B- 1802 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., VA. M- Abt 1824 to Nancy Davis 11) Frederick B- 22 May 1804 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va. D- 19 Apr 1915 12) Andrew B- 1806 Woodstock, Shenandoah co., Va. M- 3 Oct 1826 to Polly Neese 13) Eliza B- 1807 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va. 14) Henry Franklin B- 13 Jun 1808 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va. M- 9 Feb 1833 to Anna Kinzer D- 1886 15) Benjamin B- 19 Jun 1810 Greenville, Green Co., TN. M- 1829 Green Co., Tn. to Elizabeth Ann Huff D- 19 Oct 1903 Cutler, IN. Bur.- Ball Hill Cem., Cutler, IN> Elizabeth was born 13 Mar 1812 in Green Co., Tn. She died 28 Jul 1863 in Carroll Co., IN. Frederick Shaffer came to Indiana in 1841 with his sons, Andrew and Henry, when he was 86 yrs. old. It is said he sat in his rocking chair in the back of the wagon.
Lee Carr email@example.com
Another email, this one directly from Lee:
Thank you for the information you are sending, I appreciate it alot! As to your questions, it was common for the people to go by several nicknames during this period of time. My own family did this. It does make it more challenging to the researchers if you do not know who they are. Sometimes even on the census, they will go by the nicknames! My mother, who's name was Helen, was called Hank by her brothers, my aunt Eva was Mix, and my Grandmother Urshall was Johnny! So that is why it is important for us doing this work to get together and compare notes! I have found cousins all over doing our family and each has a family story or part of history that when you fit the pieces together, we will have a complete story, as much as possible anyway! That is what is so fun about this!
Now to Elizabeth Shaffer. Here is her descendancy: ( I have a pic of her if you would like a copy, I can scan it)
1) Jacob Shaffer b- 30 Dec 1728 Darmstetterland, Germany d- 9 May 1815 Shenandoah Co., VA. bur- Solomon's Lutheran Church Cem. Shenandoah Co., Va.
1) George Shaffer b- 1753 Shenandoah Co., Va. m- 29 Sep 1796 Shenandoah Co., Va. to Elizabeth Brown
2) Frederick Shaffer ( our line) b- 13 Dec 1755 Shenandoah Co., Va d- 19 Dec 1855 Clinton Co., IN bur- Old Gray Cem., Clinton Co., IN m- 25 Dec 1783 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va. to Barbara Ann Fry
3) Elizabeth Shaffer b- 1757 Shenandoah Co., Va m- 1777 to Thomas Hammond
4) Infant Shaffer b- 1758 Shenandoah Co., Va.
5) Daniel Shaffer b- 1760 Shenandoah Co., Va d- 1831 Wayne Co., IN m- 18 Feb 1783 Shenandoah Co., Va to Anna Hudlow ( she was b- 1763 & died May 1832)
6) Jacob Shaffer b- 1762 Shenandoah Co., Va m- 1782 to Mary Pence
7) Mary Shaffer b- 1764 Shenandoah Co., Va m- 1784 to ? Beaver
8) David Shaffer b- 1766 Shenandoah Co., Va
9) Infant Shaffer b- 1768 Shenandoah Co., Va
10) Michael Shaffer b- 1770 Shenandoah Co., Va
11) Infant Shaffer b- 1772 Shenandoah Co., Va
12) Henry Shaffer b- 1774 Shenandoah Co., Va m- 1794 Shenandoah Co., Va to Magdalene
Now as to the controversy. There isn't any when you know the facts. Frederick Shaffer mentioned above married Barbara Ann Fry. They are buried beside each other in the Old Gray Cememtary and she is listed as his wife on her tombstone. We have been there and have pictures. They are getting Frederick mixed up with John Shaffer who married Eve Kelknar. John may have been a cousin of Frederick. Here is what I have on John taken from a family history article.
" John Shaffer Sr., filed his Revolutionary War Pension Application in Sullivan Co., Tennessee Circuit Court during the September Term 1832. He was a citizen of Washington County, Virginia, aged 76 years. He said he was aquainted at Blountville which was 13 miles nearer to him. He was born in Burks (Berks) County, PA, on 10 June1755. The old day book of Jesse H. Miller records " John Shaffer, the old man of all, died 27 April 1847..."
John emigrated to Shenandoah County, VA. , with his family when a boy and was marrried there on 7 Nov 1778 to EVE KELKNAR, born 1760-1830, daughter of HENRY & BARBARA KELKNAR.
They moved to Wythe Co., VA after the Revolutionary War and lived there about 20 years, then moved to Washington Co., VA., within one mile of Sullivan Co., Tennessee, and made their home. John Shaffer's father, according to tradition was a German Hessian Soldier who fought in the French and Indian War. He was George Frederick Shaffer who came to America on the ship "Snow Betsie" and on 27 Aug 1739 took the oath to the government at the Court House of Philadelphia. ( it could be this George was a brother to Jacob Shaffer)
John Shaffer's father was a large land owner. He was a devout Lutheran and was very active in Church affairs. John and Eve had 12 children,
1) Elizabeth Shaffer b- 1779 Wythe Co., Va m- John Whiteman ( not our John) have to remember there were two John Whiteman's close in age!
2) Rebecca Ann Shaffer b- 1780 Wythe Co., Va d- 1843-37 m- Benjamin Lindamood
3) George H. Shaffer b- 1781 Wythe Co., Va m- 1st Barbara Slagle 2nd Rebecca Newton d- 1874
4) Rosa Shaffer b- 1783 Wythe County, Va d- 1861 m- Ignation "Nace" Friend
5) Mary "Polly" Shaffer b- 1785 Wythe Co., Va m- John Seck
6) John Jr. Shaffer b- 1786 Wythe Co., Va d- 1864 m- Anna Elizabeth Friend
7) Thomas Sr. Shaffer b- 1787 Wythe Co., Va d- 1864 m- Lydia Miller
8) Henry C. Shaffer b- 1789 Wythe Co., Va d- 1875 m- 1816 to Eve Beard
9) William Shaffer b- 1793 Wythe Co., Va d- 1864 m- Margaret Dorothy Hickman Jones
10 ) Catherine Shaffer b- 1796 Wythe Co., Va d- 1868 m- Jacob Miller Jr.
11) Sarah "Sallie" Shaffer b- 1799 Wythe Co., Va d- 1886 m- Henry Moree
12) Samuel Shaffer Sr. b- 1803 Wythe Co., Va d- 1860 m- 1824 to Sarah Elizabeth Moree
Frederick Shaffer ( Our Line) See his info up above m- Barbara Ann Fry 25 Dec 1783 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va
Barbara Ann Fry ( the Fry's and Shaffer's were well aquainted with each other and travelled together to Va. Tn and IN) b- 13 May 1760 Berks Co., Pa. d- 24 Jul 1845 Clinton Co., IN bur- Old Gray Cem, Middlefork, Clinton Co, IN Parents: Heinrich & Catharina Schauer Fry
1) John Shaffer b- 24 May 1784 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va m- 1 Mar 1806 Green Co., TN to Catherine Ann Rinker ( see below for her info)
2) Elizabeth Shaffer b- 12 Jul 1785 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va d- 27 Jan 1842 Clinton Co., In m- 1804 Wythe Co., Va to John B. Whiteman
3) Catherine Shaffer b- 1 Oct 1786 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va m- 2 Aug 1805 Wythe Co., Va to Thomas Hunter
4) Sarah Shaffer b- 10 Feb 1789 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va m- 2 Dec 1808 Wythe Co., VA to Samuel Frazier
5) Solomon Shaffer b- abt 1791 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va
6) Polly Shaffer b- 1794 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va m- 12 Feb 1811 Wythe Co., Va to Thomas Frazier Jr.
7) Frances Sinai Shaffer b- 3 May 1796 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va d- 1873 Clinton Co., IN m- 27 Mar 1820 Wythe Co., Va to John Gray
8) Jacob Shaffer b- 12 Aug 1798 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va d- 19 Aug 1839 m- 5 Apr 1821 to Elizabeth Pitzenbarger
9) Betsy Shaffer b- 1800 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va d- 1876 m- 1823 to Christopher Fry ( he was related to Barbara Ann Fry I think through an Aunt- have to check)
10) Joseph Shaffer b- 1802 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va d- 1833 Clinton Co., IN m- abt 1824 to Nancy Davis
11) Frederick Shaffer b- 22 May 1804 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va d- 19 Apr 1915
12) Andrew Shaffer b- 1806 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va m- 3 Oct 1826 to Betty Neece
13) Eliza Shaffer b- 1807 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va
14) Henry Franklin Shaffer b- 13 Jun 1808 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va d- 1886 m- 9 Feb 1833 to Anna Kinzer ( Kinser)
15) Benjamin Shaffer b- 19 Jun 1810 Greenville, Green Co., TN d- 19 Oct 1903 Cutler, IN bur- Ball Hill Cem., Cutler, IN m- 28 Jul 1829 Green Co., TN to Elizabeth Ann Huff ( she was b- 13 Mar 1812 Green Co., TN d- 28 Jul 1863 Carroll Co., IN)
More on Catherine Rinker who married John Shaffer above:
Catherine Rinker, born in 1781 in Shenandaoh Co., Va moved with family to Greene Co., TN in 1802. There she married John Shaffer on 1 Mar 1806. John Shaffer was born 24 May 1784 in Shenandoah Co.. Va. John's father, Frederick Shaffer came to Clinton Co., IN in 1841 with his sons, Andrew and Henry, when he was 86. Frederick Shaffer died 19 Dec 1855 in Clinton Co., IN. He is buried in the Old Gray Cem. in Middlefork, Clinton Co., IN. Barbara Ann, his wife died 24 Jul 1845 in Clinton Co., IN. and is also buried in the same cem. John and Catherine came to Clinton Co., IN also and are buried in the Old Grey Cem.
Catherine Rinker was the daugher of George Rinker, Sr. ( 1751-1835) and his first wife Catherine Negley. George was born in Lancaster Co., PA. He was a Rev. War soldier serving with the Va militia at Yorktown among other places.
George was the son of the immigrant Jacob Rinker and his first wife Anna Maria. The Rinkers were from Zurich, Switzerland where their name was spelled Ringger. They arrived in Philadelphia aboard the " Francis and Elizabeth" in Aug. of 1743. The family is documented back to 1350.
Many families came to gether to Clinton Co., IN including the Shaffers, Fry's, Rinker's, Gray's, Whiteman's, Miller's Popejoy's, Frazier's, MacAdam's and others.
The two Shaffer families of Frederick and John obviously are related in some way, perhaps Jacob was a brother to George Shaffer or from Jacob Shaffer's first marriage to Elizabeth, or John is a cousin to Frederick, but that Frederick married Barbara Ann Fry is unmistakable and the evidence is very clear. Also the info that John married Eve Kelknar is clear.
Unfortunately, misconceptions are slow to die out and many cling to them. I hope this information clears up any problem and gives you some history of these families. I will be sending you more as I have much more. Many forget there was two John Whiteman's and two Abraham's. They were all related and came to Clinton Co., together then split up. Their children were close in age and they gave them some of the same names. It makes researching a headache sometimes, but if we all compare notes, I feel we can get it all straight.
Have a great Day!
More About Frederick Shaffer: Burial: Unknown, Old Gray Cemetery, Clinton Co., Indiana.
More About Frederick Shaffer and Barbara Ann Fry: Marriage: December 25, 1783, Woodstock, Shenandoah, Co, Virgina.
Children of Frederick Shaffer and Barbara Ann Fry are:
+Elizabeth Shaffer, b. July 12, 1785, Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Virginia, d. January 27, 1842, Middlefork, Clinton Co., Indiana.