Notes for Christian Peters:|
John and Christian Peters were sons of Jacob Peters who settled in the Valley of Virginia after 1732, in the section of Augusta County that became Rockingham County in 1778.
John was born Oct. 17, 1755 and died Feb. 6, 1836 in Giles Co., Va.; Christian was born Oct. 16, 1760 and died Oct. 18, 1837 in Monroe Co., Va., now West Virginia. John married Frances Simms, and Christian married Anna Katherine Fudge, they were my great, great, great, great uncles and were brothers to Margaret Peters who married Charles Walker. Historically the 'Little Germany' area they were born and raised in was in Augusta County, Virginia until 1778 when Rockingham was formed.
Christian enlisted in the armed service of the Virginia Militia from Rockingham Co, Va. in June 1779, and served in a campaign against the Indians on North Fork, Pendleton Co., he carried his own rifle, tomahawk and butcher knife. In May 1781 the militia force in with John served as Ensign, and Christian served as Sergeant, joined and became a part of General Lafayette's Corps which was already in operation against Lord Charles Cornwallis' British Army at Yorktown, Va.
Following the 1782 migration to Monroe County, Christian was in charge of building the first state road from Peterstown (which was named after him) in Monroe County down New River by the mouth of Indian Creek, crossing at the Baptist Church, by Jumping Branch to Beckley [The History of the Walker Family].
Christian Peters (1760-1837) was a native of Rockingham County, Va and settled on the R. H. Fleshman place near Peterstown about 1789. He was a substantial and prominent citizen and the founder of Peterstown, to which place he removed after the village took its rise. The first house in what is now Peterstown was built by Christian Peters shortly before 1800. Peters laid out the town in 1801 on an 18 1/2 acre tract. Peterstown became a town by act of Virginia Legislature in 1804, although at the time there were only two houses in the settlement. The first industry in the area was a grist mill and wago shop, operated by Captain Jack Peters. Later, there were blacksmith shops, harnass shops, shoe shops, and tanneries, as many as six of the atter operating in the town at one time [History of Monroe County].