Notes for John Jack Donelson: He is buried in the Donelson Cemetary. Father: John Donelson (explorer, co-founder of Nashville, TN, b. circa 1725, d. 1786 murder) Mother: Rachel Stockley Donelson (b. circa 1730, m. 1744, d. 17-Nov-1801) Brother: Alexander Donelson (b. 1749, d. 1834) Sister: Mary Donelson Caffery (b. 1751, d.) Sister: Catherine Donelson Hutchings (b. 1752, d. 1835) Brother: Stockley Donelson (b. 1753, d. 1804) Sister: Jane Donelson Hay (b. 1757, d. 1834) Brother: John Donelson (b. 1755, d. 1830) Brother: William Donelson (b. 1756, d. 1820) Brother: Samuel Donelson (b. 1758, d. 1804) Brother: Severn Donelson (b. 1763, d. 1818) Brother: Leven Donelson (b. 1765, d.) Husband: Lewis Robards (b. 5-Dec-1758, m. 1-Mar-1785, sep. 1788, div. 17-Sep-1793, d. 15-Apr-1814) Husband: Andrew Jackson (US President, dated 1789-91, m. 15-May-1791, m. 1794, d. 8-Jun-1845) Son: Andrew Jackson Jr (b. 4-Dec-1808 adopted, d. 1865) Son: Lyncoya Jackson (saddlemaker, b. 1811 adopted, d. 1828 tuberculosis) Son: Andrew Jackson Hutchings (b. 1812 adopted, d. 1841)
RACHEL DONELSON ROBARDS JACKSON
Born: Born near the Banister River, about ten miles from present-day Chatham, Virginia, Pittsylvania County, in 1767; the exact date of her birth was not recorded at the time, but has been invariably attributed to the month of June, with some sources designating the date as 15 June
Father: Colonel John Donelson, born 1718, Somerset Count, Maryland, hunter, surveyor, foundry owner, Revolutionary War soldier; a member of the Virginia Assembly, co-founder of Nashville, Tennessee, died by murder in 1786, assailants unknown on return from Virginia to Tennessee
Mother: Rachel Stockley Donelson , born in Accomac County, Virginia, 1730, married there in 1744; died, Nashville, Tennessee, 1801
Ancestry: Scottish, Irish, Welsh, English; It appears that Rachel Jackson's paternal great-grandfather was Patrick Donelson, who was born in Scotland about 1670. He had a son named John who settled in Maryland. His wife was Catherine Davis of Welsh ancestry. They had a son John who married one Rachael Stockley, daughter of Alexander Stockley and Jane Matthews: the Stockley family allegedly originated in Ulster, Northern Ireland, and the Matthews from England. Both Rachel Jackson's father and paternal grandfather are listed in the DAR Patriot Index.
Children: two adopted sons: Andrew Jackson, Jr. born, December 04, 1808 in Davidson, Tennessee, died 17 April, 1865 in Hermitage, Davidson Co., Davidson, Tennessee; he was actually Rachel Jackson's nephew, one of a pair of twins born to her brother Severn Donelson; since both of his parents were alive at the time of his adoption, the reason he was given to them is not clear; Lyncoya Jackson (c1811-1828), an American Indian child found by Jackson on a battlefield with his dead mother and raised by the Jacksons from the age of two.
Legal guardian for six boys and two girls: John Samuel Donelson (?-1817), DanielDonelson (1801-1863) and AndrewJacksonDonelson (1799- 1871) were all nephews of Rachel Jackson, the sons of her brother Samuel Donelson who died in 1804. The last of the three, another namesake of the president served as his private secretary in the White House, and married his cousin, Rachel Jackson's niece Emily, the daughter of her brother John Donelson; Andrew Jackson Hutchings (1812-1841), the orphaned grandson of Rachel Jackson's sister Catherine Donelson Hutchings; Caroline Butler, Eliza Butler, Edward Butler and Anthony Butler, children of Revolutionary War General Edward Butler, who named Jackson as guardian to the children and who often came to live at the Hermitage following their father's death.
Emily Tennessee Donelson was born on June 1, 1807 at Clover Bottom Farm in Donelson, Tennessee. She was the daughter of Rachel Jackson's brother John Donelson and his wife, the former Mary Purnell. Unlike her aunt, Emily Donelson was afforded a thorough education, first at the Lebanon Road schoolhouse in Nashville and then at the Nashville Female Academy; her correspondence attests to her interest in current events and reflects a proper training in grammar.
On 16 September 1824, seventeen year old Emily married her first cousin Andrew Jackson "A.J." Donelson (1799-1871). The wedding day was overshadowed by the death that same day of the wife of Emily Donelson's brother William. Emily Donelson had known her husband since birth; West Point graduate and lawyer, A.J. Donelson was the son of Rachel Jackson's brother Samuel, but raised as a son by the Jacksons, his legal guardians upon the death of his father.
Increasingly weakened by what would soon manifest itself as tuberculosis, she left the White House in June of 1836 for her Tennessee home. She died there 19 December, 1836, two days before her husband was able to reach her, he being on route from Washington. A.J. Donelson later remarried to another Donelson first cousin, the widowed Mrs. E.A. Randolph Martin, daughter of Catherine Donelson. He went on to serve as U.S. Charge d'Affaires to Texas Republic (1844-1845), U.S. Minister to Prussia (1846-1849) and was the Whig candidate for Vice President of the United States in 1856.
It is not clear how Sarah Yorke met Andrew Jackson, Jr. President Jackson was unable to attend their November 24, 1831 wedding at the First Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, but he sent the portrait painter and family friend Ralph Earl to represent him and present the bride with the gift of a pearl ring which contained a locket of the President's hair. The couple proceeded immediately to the White House, where the President stood on the front steps with open arms to greet her. He showed immediate affection to his daughter-in-law and they remained close until his death. The President held a number of parties in her honor, including a dinner to which the Cabinet and Diplomatic Corps were invited and she wore her wedding gown at the series of events. She and her husband remained at the White House through the holiday season of 1831 and the social season of 1832. She arrived at the Hermitage in late spring of 1832 to assume the management with her husband of the plantation. She gave birth there to her first child, named for the president's late wife, Rachel, in November. Sarah Jackson's cousin Emma Yorke Farquhar accompanied her to the White House and the Hermitage and married there one of Andrew Jackson, Jr.'s brothers, Thomas Jefferson Donelson on 17 September, 1832. Sarah Yorke Jackson returned to the White House in February of 1833 for the second Jackson Inauguration. She remained there through the summer when she and her family joined the president at his seaside vacation in Virginia. She returned to the Hermitage in August. Her second child, Andrew, was born there in April 1834
1. Patrick Donelson b. circa 1670 d. 1725 Born in Scotland or England. m. Jean?
2. Patrick Donelson m.? Given or Givan
2. Catherine Donelson (nickname- Keatin, Keatrin or Kristin) m. Rev. William Stewart(Stuart) m. 1721 Stepney Parish, Somerset Co. MD
2. Jane(Jean) Donelson m.?McKean
3. George McKean
3. Patrick McKean
2. Capt. John Donelson b. ? d. circa 1736 Born in Scotland or England -m. Catherine Davis in Somerset Co. MD. 1717. Born in Scotland. Father Rev. Samuel Davis(Davies) and Mother Mary Sympson(Widow of Co. Sympson)(Alternate spelling Simpson)
(Another source: Parents:David Davis and Martha Thomas-children: Catherine and Samuel.David's parents:Morgan and Catherine Davies. Children: David, John, Evan, Catherine and Elizabeth.
Martha's parents: Elizius Thomas and Mary. Elizius's parents: Thomas Thomas and Mary m. 1668 in Wales.
3. Andrew Donelson b.1722
3. Mary Donelson b. circa 1720 in Somerset Co. MD. d. circa 1810 m. Hugh Henry circa 1739(overseer of Col. John Donelson's iron works)
4. John Henry Sr. b. circa 1740 d. circa 1779
4. Mary Henry d. circa 1810
4. Catherine Henry
4. Hugh Henry Jr. b. 6-25-1751 d. 4-17-1834 m. Elizabeth Tamnasson
4. David Henry b. 2-11-1753 d. 10-14-1846 m. Priscilla Mooring Earheart.
4. Issac Henry b.? d. 1814
4. Thomas Henry b.? d. 1823
3. William Donaldson b. 1738 d. 1819 m. Mary Sweeny b. 1748
4. Elizabeth Donelson b. 1767 d. 1847 m. Joseph Rogers
4. Andrew Donaldson b. 1770 m. Isabella Carmichael b. 1773
4. Mary Donaldson b. 1770 m. Thomas Rodgers(Rogers)
4. Ann Donaldson b. 1775 m. Alexander Thompson
4. John Donaldson b. 4-15-1778 m. Celia Jordan
4. Rebecca Donaldson b. 1780 m. Perry Pullin
4. Jane Donaldson b. 1782 m. John Ogee
3. Col. John Donelson II b. circa 1718-1725 d. 1785 in KY m. Rachel Stockley b. circa 1730 d. 1801(Great-grandfather: John Stockley b.1621 d.1673 m. Elizabeth---grandfather: Joseph Stockley m. (1) Rachel Benston(2)Mary Massie. Father: Alexander Stockley m. Jane Mathews.)
4. Alexander Donelson b. circa 1749 d. 1785 unmarried
4. Mary Donelson b. 1751 m.Capt. John Caffery(Alternate spelling Caffrey) 12 children
4. Catherine Donelson b. 1752 d. 1835 m. Col. Thomas Hutchings (9 children including grandson Andrew Jackson Hutchings) m. in 1768
4.Stockly Donelson b. 1753 d. circa 1804 m. Elizabeth Glasglow(Martin)- no descendants. 1794 manager of lottery-1795 Commissioner of Salt Lick funds.
4. Jane Donelson b. 1787 d. 1834 m. Col. Robert Hays 1-27-1786 in Tenn. Children -5(Grandparents of John Coffey Hays known as Jack Hays- Captain in the Texas Rangers)( One of daughters married a Butler)
4. Leven Donelson b.1765 unmarried
4. Rachel Donelson b.6-15-1767 d. 12-22-1828 m.(1)Lewis Robards 3-1-1785 (2)Andrew Jackson- 7th President of USA 1-17-1794. No children- adopted a child of Severn Donelson.
Changed name to Andrew Jackson Jr.
5. Andrew Jackson Jr. b.12-22-1809 d. 4-17-1865 m. Sarah Yorke 10-1831
6. Rachel Jackson b.1832 d.1928 m. Dr John Marshall Lawrence b. 1823 d.1882
6. Andrew Jackson III b. 1834 d.1906 m. Amy Rich b.1851 d.1921
6. Samual Jackson b.1837 d.1863
6. Thomas Jackson b. 1836 d.1840
6. Robert Jackson d. 1843
4. Capt. John Donelson III b. 4-7-1755 d.4-22-1830 m. Mary Purnell on 8-17-1779 b. 1763 d. 1848(Father: Chesed Purnell, Mother:Tabitha Jones. Grandparents: Elisha Purnell-Mary Shelby)
5. Chesed Donelson b.1780 died in infancy
5. Tabitha Donelson b.1781 d.1854 m. Col. George Smith b.1776 d.1849
6. Mary Smith 8-23-1799
6. Sally Smith b. 8-8-1801
6. Tabitha Smith b. 11-13-1803
6. Henry Smith b.10-19-1806
6. Jane Smith b. 4-27-1808
5. Alexander Stockly Donelson(nickname Sandy) b.1784 d.1814 Killed in battle of Emuckfau. Unmarried. Born in KY, Aide to Gen. Coffey in Creek War.
5. John Donelson IV(nickname Jack) b. 1787 d.1840 m. 11-6-1823 Eliza Butler
5. Lemuel Donelson b.1789 d.1832 m. Eliza Whyte b.1802 d.1832
6. John Whyte Donelson b.1820 d.1855 m. Kate Allen
6. Lemuel Donelson m. Annie Bowen
7. Bessie Donelson(Gaston)
5. Rachel(Racel)Donelson b.1791 d.1822 m.William Eastin b.? d. 1829
6. Mary Eastin m. Lucius Polk in 1832 in the White House.
7. Emily Donelson Polk
6. Susanna Eastin
6. Tabitha Smith Eastin
6. Elizabeth Donelson Eastin m. Samuel Rucker Donelson
6. John Donelson Eastin
6.. Rachel Jackson Eastin
5. Mary Donelson(nickname Polly) b. 1793 d.1871 m. Gen. Jno. Coffee in 1809- 10 children
6. Mary Coffee m. Andrew J. Hutchings
5. William Donelson(nickname Billy) b. 1795 d. 1864 m.(1) Rachel Donelson 9-26-1822. (2)Elizabeth Anderson 1827 (3) Martha Anderson in 1845. No descendants.
5. Elizabeth Donelson(nickname Betsy) b.1796 d.1836 m. Jno. C. Mclemore in 1815. Many descendants.
5. Catherine Donelson b.1799 d.1836 m. James Glasglow Martin in 1815 b.1790 d.1847. 9 children including the following-
6. Elizabeth Glasgow Martin m(1) Lewis Randolph in 1835 (2) Andrew Jackson Donelson(see descendants under his category)
5. Chesed Purnell Donelson b. 1801 died in infancy
5. Emily Tennessee Donelson b. 1807 d.1836 m. Andrew Jackson Donelson (see descendants under his category)
5. Stockly Donelson b1805 d. 1888 m. Phila Ann Lawrence in 1827 b.1809 d.1850
6. John Lawrence Donelson b.4-17-28 d. 7-6-1864 unmarried
6. Laura Ann Donelson b. 3-28-1832 d.12-4-1891 m. William James Wade
6. William Donelson b. 1-1-1835 d.8-29-1895 m. Alice Ewin
7. John Donelson VI
7. Wena Donelson
6. Emily Donelson b. 1837 d.1936 m. (1) John Boddie (2) William Walton
6. Caroline Donelson b.7-1841 d ?
6. Lawrence Donelson b. 5-1843 d.1865
4. Samuel Donelson b.1758 d.circa 1802 m. 6-20-1796 Mary(Polly) Smith. b.1781 d.1857 (m. Col. James Saunders after Samuel died)
5. John Samuel Donelson b. ? d. 1817 unmarried
5. Daniel Smith Donelson (Gen.) b.6-23-1801 d.4-17-1863. West Point graduate, Mero District elector, 1799 Commissioner for Sumner County. m. 1830 Margaret Branch.
6. Elizabeth Donelson b. 1831 m. William Williams 1849
6. Sarah Smith Donelson b. 1836 m. William Henry Bradford 1856
6. Emily Donelson b. 1838 m. James E. Horton 1860
6. Mary Ann Donelson m. James Glasglow Martin II
6. James Branch Donelson b.1843 m. Josephine Evans 1862
6. Rebecca Williams Donelson
6. Samuel Davis Donelson
6. Martha Bradford Donelson b. 1847 m. John M. Shute 1867
6. Susan Branch Donelson b. 1848 m. Marcus L. Dismukes 1866
6. John Branch Donelson m. 1874 Jennie Alexander b. 1855
7. Rebecca Dismuches Donelson b. 1881 m. Joseph H. Chew 1903
7. James Alexander Donelson
7. Emma W. Donelson m. Charles Price Underwood
7. Eugene Lackey Donelson
7. John Branch Donelson
5. Andrew Jackson Donelson b. 1799 d. 1871 West Point graduate, also Lawyer. Raised by Andrew Jackson and Rachel Donelson. President's aide. m. (1) Emily Tennessee Donelson in 1824. (daughter of John Donelson and Mary Purnell)(2) Mrs. EA Randolph Martin(Daughter of Catherine Donelson) Children by Emily: 6. Andrew Jackson Donelson b. 1826 d.1859 Died while Lieutenant of Us Engineers
6. Mary Emily Donelson b. 1829 d.1905 m. John A. Wilcox(Member of Congress from Mississippi)
6. John Samuel Donelson b. 1832 d.1863 Killed at Chichamauga
6. Rachel Jackson Donelson b.1834 d.1888 m. William Knox.
Children of EA Randolph Martin 6. Daniel S. Donelson b.1842 d.1864 Confederate Brig. Gen. -Murdered
6. Martin Donelson b. 1847 Farmer in Mississippi
6. William Alexander Donelson(W.A.) b.1-18-1849 d.1900 m. Bettie? Farmer near Hermitage.
6. Catherine Donelson b.2-25-1850 d.1868
6. Vinet Donelson(Capt.) b.8-30-1854 Merchant in Nashville
6. Lewis R. Donelson b. 2-14-1856 Resided in Memphis. m. Lady McAlister
7. Elise McAlister Donelson(McKellar)
6. Rosa E. Donelson b.6-14-1858
6. Andrew Jackson Donelson b. 1-21-1860
4. Severn Donelson b.1763 or 1773 d. 1818 m. Elizabeth Rucker b. 1782 d. 1828
5. Andrew Jackson Jr. adopted at birth by President Andrew Jackson- see under that category. Name originally Andrew Donelson Donelson
5. Thomas Jefferson Donelson b. 12-22-1809 Twin to Andrew Jackson Jr. m. Emma Farquhar
6. Eliza Yorke Donelson m. Bernard Aldolphus Hoopes
5. Rachel Donelson m. William Donelson(son of John Donelson and Mary Purnell)
5. Samuel Rucker Donelson m. Elizabeth Donelson Eastin
5. Alexander Donelson
5. Lucinda O.Rucken Donelson m. George Martin 9-30-1830
6. Elizabeth Donelson Martin m. Jacob Melchion Hoffa
Some sources say these are also children but I am unsure! 5. John Donelson
5. Richard Sampson Donelson
4. William Donelson b. 1756 d 4-13-1820 - 1811 Davidson Ct.- Robertson Acadamy Trustee 1797 Waynesborough Commissioner m. Charity Dickerson(alternate spelling Dickinson) in Nashville 8-9-1796
5. William Donelson II
5. Alexander Donelson
5. Milberry Donelson b. 1806 d.1836 m. Col. John McGregor b. 1794 d.1835
6. Andrew McGregor m. Eudora Anderson
6. Mary Ann McGregor
6. S. Donelson McGregor(Col.) Killed@ Murfreesboro 12-31-1862
5. Elizabeth H. Donelson
5. Martha Donelson b.? d. 1873 m. Robert Burton b. 1800 d. 1863 6. Elizabeth Burton m. Rapheal Martin
5. Jacob Donelson
6. Severn Donelson
6. Mary Donelson 5. Rachel Donelson
5. Andrew Jackson Donelson b.3-14-1815 Nashville, Tenn. d.7-28-1859 in Thibedeaux, La. m. (1)Sara E. Nelson 2-3-1841 b.?d.1847 (2) Catherine Nelson
6. Sarah W. Donelson b. 1860
6. Mary Nelson Donelson b.1856
6. Lizzie G. Donelson b.1853
6. Andrew Jackson Donelson b.1851
6. Thomas Perry Donelson b. 12-14-1849 in Murfreesborough, Tenn. m. Eliza Maude Howard 2-24-1869 in New Orleans, La.
7. Fidelia Donelsonb.12-2-1869 in Acadia Plantation near Thibedeaux,La. m. John Wesley Ladd 6-26-1895
7. Dela Donelson ( I question if " Dela" is a nickname for Fidella-see above)
6. William J. Donelson b.6-30-1845
6. Anna L. Donelson b.1844
6. Martha A Donelson b. 12-3-1841
6. Catherine J. Donelson b.10-6-1836
6. John Nelson Donelson b. 5-5-1847 in Thibedeaux, La. d.8-10-1899 in Bon Air, Tenn. m. Matilda Frasier 2-18-1868 b.4-11-1846 d.10-18-1936 in Mobery, Tenn. Parents: William Causby Frazier, Nancy Welch
7. John Nelson Donelson(some sources say middle name begins with "W" and is not Nelson) b.12-3-1883 in Bon Air, Tenn. d. 3-5-1960 in Sanford, Florida
7. William Donelson b.1869
7. Thomas P. Donelson b.1872 (not sure if the following is accurate) m. Mary Ann ?
8. Sallie Donelson m. Clarence Hamby
7. Nancy E. Donelson b.10-12-1876
7. Mary Lou Donelson(some sources say middle name is Mayme) b.9-27-1880
7. Carrie Donelson(some sources say first name is Sally) b.7-3-1881
7. Jefferson D. Donelson b. 9-1886
7. Martha A Donelson b.6-1-1889
7. Andrew Jackson Donelson b.2-2-1874 d.10-28-1945 m. Lillie Ethel Hamby 12-9-1906 b. 8-3-1889 d.1-16-1984 Hamby line:(1)Reubin Hamby m Elizabeth Mitchell(2)Andrew Hamby b.1805 m. Almira Proffit b. 1811(3)Thomas Hamby b.1836 m. Lydia Hassler b.1840(4)Andrew Loran Hamby b. 1867 m.(a)Susie Ann Godsey(b)Sarah Lou Randolph(Children: Verdon Lancelot Hamby m. Jessie Rice, Clarence J. Hamby m. Sallie Donelson,Virgil William Hamby m. Bessie Patton, Clyde Hamby m. Ethel England, Maude Hamby, Lillie Hamby m. Andrew Jackson Donelson, Landon Lee Hamby.
Children of Andrew Jackson Donelson and Lillie Hamby
8. Kenneth Harold Donelson b.8-15-1928 d.?
9. Kenneth Donelson
8. John Clinton Donelson b. 8-29-1921 m. Nancy Welch b.? d.4-27-77
9. Nancy Ann Donelson b. 5-22-45 m. Gary Gordon Blanks on 9-27-69 - b. 6-3-43
8. Lillie Ethel Donelson b.2-18-1919 d.8-8-1951 m. Stanton Powell Kirby
9. Kenneth Stanton Kirby m. Dora Sue Copeland Ledbetter
9. Helen Willene Kirby m. Chester Merle Johnson- 7 children
9. Bonnie Sharon Kirby m.William Andrew Lewis- 2 children
8. Lizzie Marie Donelson b.2-8-1918 d.4-20-1918
8. Andrew Jackson Donelson b. 12-11-1913 d.7-1-1979 m.Emogene Swallows
9. Andrew Jackson Donelson b.10-22-1954 m. Maureen Nestor
10. Andrew Jackson Donelson b. 6-13-1988
10. Marisa Donelson b. 7-30-1985
8. Nellie Maude Donelson b. 3-4-1912 d. 6-1-84 m.(1) Thomas Frazier(2) William Owen Jones
9. Jack Frazier
9. Billy Frazier
9. Judith Ann Jones
9. Elizabeth(Betty) Jones
8. William Jennings Donelson b.11-16-10 d.11-25-47 m. Dorothy Hetzel(2nd marriage to David Lewis Hoelzel) b. 8-7-1917
9. Darlene Donelson b.7-11-43 m. Louis Stephen Felker b. 4-25-47
10. Andrew Donelson Felker b.12-19-73
11. Aaron Lee Felker b. 2-10-97
10. Stephanie Louise Felker b.3-21-76
10. Lori Ann Felker b. 8-11-78
9. Glenna Jean Donelson b. 1-29-47 m. (1)George Nikstaitis (2)Michael Hastey (3) David Carl Hardy
10. Sheree Dawn Nikstaitis b.11-24-72
10. Robin Michelle Hastey b.3-20-84
More About John Jack Donelson and Prudence Gower: Marriage: Nov 10, 1831, Davidson County, Tennessee.
Children of John Jack Donelson and Prudence Gower are: