Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals |InterneTree |Sources


View Tree for David LewisDavid Lewis (b. Abt. 1818, d. 16 Feb 1904)

David Lewis (son of Daniel Lewis and Anne Davies) was born Abt. 1818 in Llangler, Wales Tycoed, and died 16 Feb 1904 in Buried, Saron Cemetery, Llandysul, Carmarthenshire Wales. He married Elizabeth Jones on 09 Nov 1841 in Llangeler Parish Church, Carmarthen.

 Includes NotesNotes for David Lewis:

MARRIAGE of David Lewis and Elizabeth Jones
1841 Marriage solomised in the Parish Church of Llangeler Carmarthenshire
9th Nov 1841.
No 9 Nov David Full Bach Weaver Pensarn Daniel Weaver
Lewis age Lewis
42 Elizabeth Full Spin Tycoed David Farmer
Jones age Jones
Married in this established church by banns by me
John Griffiths vicar
Solomised by: David Lewis presence of: John Hindes
Elizabeth Jones David Evans (info. PJ)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PARISH OF LLANGELER, CARMARTHEN
CENSUS - 1851

TY COED

David Lewis Head Married 32 Woollen Weaver Carms
Farmer - 6 acres
Elizabeth Lewis Wife Married 41 Pencarg
Eleanor Lewis Dau 9 Scholar Carms
Daniel Lewis Son 7 Scholar Carms
David Lewis Son 4 Carms
Rachel Davies Single 25 Weaver/Servant Carms
Sarah Jones Single 18 Weaver/Servant Cardigan
Ester Evans Single 15 House Servant Llandyssul


------- PROBATE of David Lewis of Tycoed, Llangler, Carmarthenshire. Died 16.02.1904. Admin. London. 4 Mar. to John Lewis, Woolen Manufaturer. Effects 40 pounds


PARISH OF LLANGELLER
CENSUS 1861. Enumeration District 12. Page 6, Schedule 24.

TYCOED
David Lewis Head M 41 Farmer 14 Acre & Llangeler
Woolman
Elizabeth Lewis Wife M 52 Kilrhedyn
Elinor Lewis Dau 19 Llangeler
Daniel Lewis Son 16 Woolhandloom "
Weaver
David Lewis Son 13 Scholar "
John Lewis Son 9 Scholar "
Sarah Jones Serv Un 17 Gen Servant Penboyr

Registration District Newcastle Emlyn - Enumeration District 12
Parish of Llangeler 1871 RG10/5544.
All that remaining part of "Wald" in the parish of Llangeler lying on the right of the turnpike road leading to Carmarthen from Pontybargoed to the Lamb Public House bounded on the south by the River Bargod, comprising Llywnewydd Mansion Lodge included Berllan, Penffynon, Pantcilgan. villiages of Trefach., Trefelin and Cefn Saron the farms of Tygwyn, Blaengwthan, Penywern, Pantygwddil Ffynnon Dyetyr, Closygrdid, Penybank, Gilfach, Rhydwthan, llwynpur, Nantygarreg, Gilfachlas, Blaenfilfach and the cottages of Blaencefn.




CENSUS 1871. LLANGELER
RG10/5544. Page 8. Schedule 39. Villiage of TREFACH

TIRYCOED
David Lewis Hd M 52 Woolweaver & Llangeler
Farmer 15 acres
Eliz. Lewis Wf M 62 Woolweavers wife Kenarth
David Lewis Son Un 24 Wool weaver Llangeler
William Jones Serv " 17 " " Kenarth
John Morris Serv " 15 " " Kilrhedyn
Ann Davies Serv " 19 Wool spinner Penboyr
Catherine Jones Serv " 16 Gen Serv. Domestic Henllan
Anna Jones Serv 14 Bobbin Maker Llangeler

LLANGELER
CENSUS 1881 RG11/5431 Folio 37, Page 8.
TYCOED
David Lewis Head M 63 Welsh Flannel Manu Llangeler
Elizabeth Lewis Wife M 72 Cenarth
John Lewis Son Un 29 Wool Stapler Llangeler
Sarah Rees Serv Un 21 Gen Serv Llanfair
David Jones Serv " 19 Gen Labourer "
Mary Ann Griffiths Serv " 19 Gen Serv "
Thomas Rees Bdr " 19 Wool Weaver Llangunllo
Anne Thomas Bdr " 20 Wool Weaver Llangeler
Margaret Thomas Bdr " 15 Wool bobbiner "
Ebenezer Davies Bdr " 19 Wool Weaver Llangunllo


CENSUS 1891. LLANGELER-DREFACH
Schedule 15. Page 2.

David Lewis Head W 73 Farmer Llangeler
John Thomas Log S 25 Agri Lab. Troedyraur
Cdg.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: David Lewis built Cambrian Mill. he passes away in 1904, however: his son Johnny Lewis
maintained the Business name of hbis father David Lewis, and it is understood that Sir--------Evan-Bevan also kept the same name until he sold the mill.
______________________________________________________
Family Tree Houses and Mills - CILWENDEG MILL


In part from the book by J.G. Jenkins Dre-fach Felindfre and The Woollen Industry. CILWENDEG MILL was one of the largest mills in Dre-Fach and was established about 1880. It was owned by Messrs. D. Williams and sons who closed the mill in the late nineteen twenties. It was occupied by Unigate Creameries c1976, and now in (1996) is a recreational centre.
______________________________________

The owner c1880 was David Williams, son of Samuel Williams, DYFFRYN MILL. His daughter Rachel Anne Williams married Alfred David Jones and they were given “The GLYNN” a large home in Dre-Fach as a wedding present by her parents.
These premises NOT on 1891 CENSUS. Drefach - Felindre. May not have been used as a residence.
______________________________

With Gwynfor we then drove by Cilwendeg House. The original home of the Williams who had owned the mill. It is now owned by a group of 'hippies' with an unsavoury reputation so we didn't go in. Just down the road was Ty Gwyn. The home of Beryl Davies as young girl. It had been built for her parents Rachel Anne (Nan) Williams and Alfred David Jones as a wedding gift from Nan's parents. David Williams and Anne (Jones) Williams. Cilwendeg. “The Glyn” Ty Gwyn is another real mansion with lovely grounds. They now have it up for sale for 195,000 pounds
------------------------------------------------------------
Day 23. July 6, 1996. Back to Drefach as that is where all the family mills are and where we can find out most of the history and where people remember the family. We went to what is now the local recreation centre. There is a bar, restaurant, squash courts and sauna etc. Fitness centre and a large room where they hold dances. Originally it was Cilwendeg Mill which was owned by David Williams, grandmother Anne Lewis' brother. Gomer Williams who we met in the local with the Tarrs and Eira Harris is his grandson. So Gomer 's grandfather and John 's grandmother were sister and brother. The original buildings are still there, stone of course, but the inside is much changed ! Met a young girl who was there cleaning in preparation for opening at noon and she kindly took us through the main building. No resemblance to a mill now. Not far from the Museum so we went there for coffee. It is about the only place you can get a cup of coffee in Drefach. I usually have tea when I'm out now. They make a good up of tea but the coffee leaves a lot to be desired. The gift shop there has a lot of books on Wales and John found one about Talfan-Davies, a relative who is a descendent of the sister of Rev. Gomer Lewis. Unfortunately it is all in Welsh so we copied the name of the book and the publisher and will try to see if it is published in English.
_____________________________________________________________

Llwynbrain


see Babell,. Llwynbrain, Doldywll and Cambrian

BABELL, FELINDRE. Was the home of John and Anne Jones onto which they built a weaving shed for hand looms with women weavers. c1840. John built Llwynbrain nearby (a spinning mill) from which yarn was transferred to Babell by horse and cart for weaving. Their daughter Anne inherited Llwynbrain and married David Lewis (son of David Lewis Ty Coed). David extended the mill and renamed it Cambrian. Babell was closed down and the woollen business was thus growing out of the “cottage industry”. (Information received from Christopher Lewis. Needs to be verified).

CAMBRIAN MILL DREFACH. The origin of CAMBRIAN Mill has to be verified according to Christopher Lewis CAMBRIAN started out as LLWYNBRAIN which was built by John and Anne JONES. They came from BABELL their home and weaving shed (see BABELL for more details). According to J. Geraint Jenkins, Cambrian Mill started as a weaving shop and a dwelling house called DOLDYWYLL obtained by lease from William Lewes of Llysnewydd.

Day 54
Llwynbrain - Johnny Lewis married Esther (Hettie) sister of Eiffel's wife, Amelia Jones. He bought Trevern and he and Hettie lived there for many years. She became ill and a nursing matron named Rachel came to Trewern to care for her. After Hettie died, Johnny married Rachel and when Garth became available he bought it and they moved there. Johnny never had children of his own but raised Eiffel's son, Tom Garth, in Garth and loved him as his own. Tom's mother Amelia lived in a house called Woodlands on the road between NCE and Cenarth. Johnny Cambrian supported her as Eiffel had badly neglected his responsibilities. When Johnny died, his wife Rachel was left everything and sold Garth and moved somewhere in Cardigan.
Amelia lived in NCE and Cenarth.
___________________________________________________________-














More About David Lewis and Elizabeth Jones:
Marriage: 09 Nov 1841, Llangeler Parish Church, Carmarthen.

Children of David Lewis and Elizabeth Jones are:
  1. +Eleanor Lewis, b. Abt. 1841, d. date unknown, Manordeifi.
  2. +Daniel Lewis, b. Abt. 1845, Tycoed, Drefach, Llandysul, Carmarthenshire, Wales, d. 15 Jul 1923, Buried Saron Cemetery, Llandysul, Carmarthenshire, Wales.
  3. +David Lewis, b. Abt. 1848, Pantglas, d. 24 Feb 1928, Llwynbrain, Drefach, Llangeler, Carms..
  4. +John Lewis, b. 14 Aug 1851, d. 21 Jan 1943, Meiros Hall, Drefach Felindre, Llandysul,Wales.
Created with Family Tree Maker


Home | Help | About Us | Biography.com | HistoryChannel.com | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009 Ancestry.com