Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]

Descendants of John Crain

      104. Clarinda5 Crain (Thomas4, John3, Ambrose2, The Immigrant1) was born December 15, 1819 in Randolph Co., IL, and died February 09, 1900. She married Frederick Baker February 11, 1841 in Craine's Grove, Stephenson County, Illinois. He was born November 01, 1820 in Orange County, Indiana, and died August 13, 1892.

Notes for Clarinda Crain:
There is an obit for Mrs Fred Baker in the Freeport Daily Journal Feb 10 1900 p 5 and Feb 12 1900 p 8, she is also listed in the Old Settlers list in Aug 1900. It sounds like from the sketch that he is one of the first settlers in Freeport,
Reminiscence of Mrs. Clarinda (Crain) Baker
Freeport Daily Journal, Feb 28, 1891, p 4

(Daughter of Thomas Crain, b. ca 1819 in southern Illinois. Thomas & family
came to Galena in 1828 where he became a smelter. Next moved to Apple
River, then Cherry Grove in Carroll Co. and in 1835 to Crain's Grove in
Stephenson Co.)

"I was in the battle at Elizabeth" said Mrs. Baker with a flash of the
eye. "The Indians attacked the fort and fought for three hours and a half.
There were twenty men and three boys large enough to handle a musket, and
there were seventy wormen and children in the fort. We had not heard of the
battle with Stillman until three days after it occurred, and then we sought
protection at once. The news of that battle was brought us by a messenger,
and as soon as we heard it we gathered a few clothes and provisions and
hurried to the fort. We had not long to wait until Black Hawk and his band
of 360 Indians, painted up in the most gorgeous war colors, appeared on the
scene. We had no cannon, but luckily were supplied with two rounds of guns,
and while the men were firing the women were loading the weapons. The women
and children were kept busy molding bullets and filling cartridges. From
the fact that the firing was so rapid the invaders thought the force was
treble what it really was, and thinking they would be unable to take the
fort they drew off about dusk. We prepared for a night attack , but did not
receive one. One of our express messengers, Nutton, was killed and one
Harket Rodes, was wounded. We learned afterwards that there were 17 of the
Indians killed. They carried off their wounded and buried the dead about
three-fourths of a mile from the scene of battle.
"At one time when we thought the fort would be taken, old man Dixon
started out to get help from Galena. At two attempts to swim Apple River he
was driven back by the Indians, but at the third attempt although badly
wounded he got through all right and took the news to Galena that the fort
was taken. A force came out from Galena to help us, but we did not need
their assistance. They rigged us up a couple of cannon, strengthened the
fort and then returned. We were in quarters three springs but had no
trouble only the one year. My father was all through the Black Hawk War.
"I saw Black Hawk 500 times or more. Before the war he had his camp for
a long time about a mile from our house in JoDaviess county. I have talked
with him on various occasions and could understand him quite well. He was a
very pleasant Indian, and his warriors seemed to think a great deal of him,
and would do everything he requested. Soon after he moved from there he
began war on the whites. Black Hawk was an indolent fellow and would lie
about the camp and let the other warriors do all the hunting and the squaws
all the work. He dressed the same as the others of the tribe. They wore
blankets or woolen blouses, and long leather leggings. I have often seen
them in their war dances. The "Hee oo" and "Who oo" was particularly
vehement when they were partly filled with fire water.
"My mother bandaged the wound when Colonel Stephenson was shot near
Waddams Grove. He was shot through the left breast and it is thought by
many that that is what caused his death.
"I remember of one incident during the time of the Indian was which
happened at Timms Grove. Six horsemen were coming from the south to look
after some land in this section when at the place mentioned they were
attacked and three of them, Howard, Ames and Lawrence were killed at the
first fire. Alec Hickenbottom and Quill Floyd kept together and by pressing
their steeds were able to escape. The last member of the party by the name
of Howley was never seen again, and it is supposed he was forced into the
swamps near by where he fell an easy victim.
"After we moved to Crane's grove my father needed to carry the mail
from Freeport in his coat pocket and then sometimes he did not have very
much. I guess it could hardly be carried that way now."

(Daniel Wootan was Thomas Crane's (Crain) step-son.)

Silver Creek:
August of 1835 is when Thomas Crain claimed a quarter section in the
south-west corner. Crain's Grove is named after him. The first birth was
Jacob Thompson in the summer of 1838. His proud parents were William and
Lucinda Thompson. The first wedding didn't occur until February 11, 1841
when Frederick Baker and Miss Crain were united. (Lucinda Wootan Thompson
was T. Crain's step-daughter and the Miss Crain who married Frederick Baker
was Thomas and Ellenor's daughter, Clarinda.)

The Village

The Galena Daly Gazette, Galena, Illinois, Monday Evening,
September 28, 1903

Women Save the Fort
Attack on the Village of Elizabeth by Indians in Early Days Recalled

Five Women Carry Lead from Mines and Mould it into Bullets

Village Named for One of Them

The Chicago News of Sept. 25 printed the following interesting piece of early history that transpired in Jo Daviess County and which is familiar to Gen. A. L. Chetlain and the very few pioneers of the county still living.

Carrying pigs of lead and running bullets in a desperate fight with Indians was the historic action of women, told in the story of the three Elizabeths, just revived in an Illinois village, the settlement of which was contemporaneous with that of Chicago. The early settlers of Chicago remember the stirring times at Galena and the lead country while Chicago itself was only a village. One of the oldest towns in the lead region is Elizabeth and old times are recalled by the building of a reservoir near the site of an old fort that stood in this town, which is only three hours ride from Chicago by Railway. It was this fort that Black Hawk and his band of red warriors on the afternoon of August 2, 1832, fleeing from the battlefield at Stillman's Run, attacked and undertook to capture with its twenty-five men, women and children inmates.

Of the five women who were inside the fort three bore the name of Elizabeth. They were Elizabeth Van Volkenburg, Elizabeth Armstrong and Elizabeth Winters and it was in honor of Mrs. Winters that the little village, a famous lead mining town with a history as old as that of Galena, was named. History relates - and the facts are borne out by the citizens of the town, some of whom are sons and daughters of the besieged parents - that in the thick of the flight the supply of material for bullets gave out. During the entire fight the three Elizabeths had been kept busy running load. It was at this critical point that two of the women volunteered to creep away from the fort to secure a chuck of lead from the vast store that nature in the neighborhood had provided. This daring feat was safely accomplished by Elizabeth Van Volkenburg and Rebecca Hitt, the wife of Thaddeus Hitt.

In the fight only one of the inmates of the fort was killed. The name of this man was Harkelroads. It is related that Harkelroads kept sticking his head through the loopholes. He was warned by Capt. Stone, the commandant of the fort, to quit the hazardous custom, but the man persisted and was finally shot through the neck. Harkelroads was buried near the fort. Repeatedly attempts have been made to reclaim the remains of this one unfortunate of the fight, it being desired to suitably mark the grave, but today the exact resting place is unknown, further than that the trains of a great steel highway rumble over the spot every day in the year. In a well-kept cemetery near the town of Elizabeth rest a number of the brave men and women who on that hot August afternoon seventy-one years ago defied the notorious Black Hawk and his savages. Among them are Thaddeus Hitt and his wife, Rebecca Hitt, John Gray, the Rev. A. Sugg and Mr. and Mrs. John McDonald.

In a little cottage very near the cemetery lives Nelson Hitt, a second cousin of Congressman Hitt and who is the oldest son of Thaddeus and Rebecca Hitt. It was in this cottage that the elder Hitts died a few years ago. "Many and many a time," sad Mr. Hitt, "have I heard my father and mother tell the story of the old fort and of that afternoon when a handful of brave men and women defied a whole savage band. See those hayricks over yonder? Well, that's where the old fort stood. I used to play in the old place and dig bullets out of the old logs of the fort. They had one man in the fort who played the white feather. His name was Jim Lawhorne. At the time when the redskins were peppering away Capt. Stone discovered the man behind a barrel. "What are ye doin down there, Jim?" said the old commander. "Are ye tryin to get shot at a turkey? Come out now and try to be a man."

Among the people who were in the fort was a young lad, the pet of the whole colony. They called him Little Sublette. After the fight the boy mounted his pony and took after the redskins, and one of the Indians tried his best to kill the brave little fellow. But Sublette would drop down beside the shoulder of his pony at the right time. The redskin was so intent upon killing the boy that he himself was overtaken by white men, and before he knew what had happened to him, he was bayoneted and his body was left by his fleeing tribe. The town, besides being the site of the old historic fort, was at one time one of the most impotant places in the lead mining region of Jo Daviess County. Benjamin Easton, who was in town when mineral was corded up on almost every inch of the ground, says that the biggest lead ever struck in the entire region was struck at Elizabeth.

"They took over 19,000,000 pounds of lead from that streak and it sold for $100 a thousand pounds," said the old pioneer. At one time there were four or five smelters. Near the old fort was the first furnace and the first ore smelted was hauled to Chicago by a four-mule team. This was away back to 1832. The land hereabouts was so full of holes that it looked like the top of a pepper box. There were furnaces at Weston, Fullersburg, Elizabeth and at Riders, as you cross the creek. The latter was run by Strawbridge & Mitchel. The one in Elizabeth was run by Capt. Esty. some of the old lead teamsters are still living here, among them, Dick Eustice, one of the best known teamsters of the mining day. He lives over on the Henry Green place.

"When I came here there were nothing save log cabins. Johua Pitcher built the first brick house and there it stands across the street yonder. The first frame house was built by Uriah Brown, a gambler. The town was surveyed by a govenment surveyor named Redden Bennett and he and a man named Winters, Jeff Clark, Sample Journey and Capt. Stone, laid out the town. They gathered at Winter's house and named the town Elizabeth, and was in the fort at the time of the fight. Winters also owned the stage line that ran from Chicago to Galena."

The little village occupies one of the most beautiful locations in northern Illinois. It rests in a basin at the crest of hilltops and in turn is surrounded by other hills that tower to considerable heights. From some of the peaks of the hills the finest views of Illinois are seen. In this region the railway enters from the west through a long tunnel, traversing a series of picturesque valleys, through which the Apple River finds it's way.

***This was written by Clarinda Craine, Baker and published in the Galena News 1903.

Notes for Frederick Baker:
Moved to Stephenson Co. around 1830.
Freeport's old pioneer Frederick Baker expires suddenly today.

Deceased was a fighter of Blackhawk The record of his life.
Funeral to occur tomorrow.
Frederick Baker died at his home at 192 S. Galena Ave at 11 o'clock this morning from the effects of a paralytic stroke.
The deceased came here in 1835 and there is no one in the city at present who arrived before he did. Yesterday, he was in apparent good health and did not complain when he retired last evening. He arose early and went to the kitchen at 5:30 o'clock this morning. He complained to his wife of experiencing a strange sensation. He started for his room shortly afterwards and called his wife to assist him to the bed.
His daughter-in-law Mrs. F. Baker also assisted. Dr Robert F Hayes was summoned and it was found that the deceased had sustained a paralytic stroke. He was almost unconscious until 11 o' clock when he passed away.

Mr Baker was on of the best known men in this section and the news of his demise was everywhere received with regret.
Frederick Baker was born in Orange County, Indiana, Nov. 1, 1820 and aged at death 71 yrs 9 mo and 12 days. When he was but 2 years old the family came to the west to southern part of Illinois where they lived a number of years. Soon after the famed richness of the Galena lead mines was reported the household goods are packed and the family began the assent up the Mississippi River on one of the crude steamboats of the time to the rich Galena when it was a typical mining town and passing through went to New Diggings, Wisconsin where Mr. Baker's father Tut was employed in mining of lead.
The occupation was not renumerative at that time for the ore was so plentiful that it brought only $5 or $6 in the market and there was so much demand even at that price. There were a good many hardships to undergo also. The prinicipal food to be obtained was indian maize and the flesh of wild animals, pork and flour brought many hundreds of miles was a luxury that few of the pioneers could enjoy. There was also a change of climate which affected the people severely from the fact that they had moved in the summertime from a warm region in the country where cold was sometimes intense.

Then, when the 1st winter came on it found them lacking in the neccessary clothing it was such a school as this that young Frederick experienced. For the Indian children as his only playmates it was no wonder that he learned to talk their tongue as well as his own and that he taught them how to speak the english language. It was a great pleasure for the little red skins and himself to set for hours and working out the puzzling intricasies of the 2 languages. There grew up between them a bond of friendship which all the doings of after years did not sever. Many days were spent together roaming through the forest or by the brook as happy as the birds that made the air joyous with the minstraly. But the stormy times were coming on space. After living 3 years in New Diggings, the Baker family moved to Wyota, Wisconsin and from there they settled at Stafford's Creek 8 miles above the present town of Winslow. There they lived until driven off the place by the Indians. There had been rumors of war and at times during the winter and in May came the news of the 1st defeat of the whites by Black Hawk. They went at once to Fort Hamilton where provisions were gathered and made for the attack. This not being thought secure enough it was decided to remove to Fort Defiance. the Force in the stockade numbered 33 fighting men and 60 women and children. The Indians came about the fort and even made faints of attack but did not do so. The next year there was a false alarm spread that the Indians were coming and the Baker family with many others in the neighborhood hid in the old unused lead mine. The Baker family came to this county and settled in the present site of Freeport Dec 19, 1835.
At that time there were but few people in the county. Pioneers had begun the building of houses in Winslow, Omers, Crains and Waddams Groves. At that time, Benjamin Goddard lived between Freeport and Cedarville and was the nearest neighbor to the Baker family. There were a great many Indians here at the time of the settlement but a few months later they were removed by the government. Frederick Baker helped out and draw the 1st stick of timber put into the 1st building erected in Freeport.

When the elder Baker and his son, Fred came here they erected a log cabin on the banks of the Pecatonica near where the Northwestern Freight Depot stands. Mr Baker laid claim to all of Freeport and afterwards had a partner named Kirkpatrick. Mr. Baker gave to the county the present site of the courthouse and the city the old cemetery where the Keen Canning Factory is located. This piece of land today is bounded by East Monterey to the North to the Illinois Central Railroad and also deeded the 1st Meth. Episcopal church the property they occupy. Mr Baker died in 1855, July 14.

The old log cabin was used as a hotel a trading post and the 1st court and election were held within its walls. Mr Baker, Frederick held a number of offices. He was a constable, deputy sheriff for 15 yrs and acting sheriff a portion of that time. Afterwards he engaged in farming in Silver Creek twp until 1879, when he sold his land and came to Freeport where he has since resided. He had served as a member of the county board of supervisors for many yrs and had also held the office of the justice of the peace, road commissioner, and other town and school offices. In his early day, he was identified with the tannery and leather business. The firm being Baker and Ruble.

He was united in marriage at Crain's Grove Feb 11, 1841 to Miss Clarinda Crane who survives. Her father, Thomas Craine was the 1st settler of Carroll County. They have 3 children living as follows: Mrs Joseph Weaver of Silver Creek, John and Frank Baker of this city. Elmus Baker of this city is a brother, and Thomas & Crawford brothers are in Kansas.

The funeral will occur on Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock.
Freeport Bulletin Sat. Aug. 13, 1892 pg 1 col 1
Fred Baker dead

A pioneer for the northwest called from earth his demise was sudden and was caused by a stroke of paralysis.
A veteran of the BlackHawk War and prominent in many ways. a short sketch of his life. At 11 o'clock this morning death claimed for a victim one who was known to nearly every person in Freeport a pioneer of Stephenson County as well as northern Illinois breathed his last. A man whose recollections dated back to the time when what was now the city of Freeport was a dense wilderness a prairie in the hands of and controlled by the Indians. Sudden as the summers came it removed a familiar figure from the ranks of pioneers from this county and his death will be deeply deplored by all who are acquainted with him. Fred Baker is dead is the news that flashed through the town at noon today and was discredited by many at first, but announcements from his late home on Galena ave confirmed the earlier reports. Mr Baker died suddenly yesterday he was on discharge of his duty as a constable last evening at 6 o'clock he was attacked with a stroke of paralysis during the night. He was in critical condition and 20 minutes to 11 he expired the deceased had not been in good health for the past 2 years having been confined to his bed for weeks and weeks during that time. Fred Baker probably had a clear history of Stephenson County in his mind as anyone ever had. His father helped cut and draw the first stick of timber put in the 1st building erected in Freeport. His father entered and also owned the land where the city of Freeport is now located and it is with pride that he and his children viewed the progress of the people and through their efforts built up the town as it was today. Fred Baker was also a veteran of the BlackHawk war. He was stationed in Ft. Defiance and served well and gallently during his years when the war raged in this part of the state. In politics the deceased was a staunch democrat and early history for the party of the county he labored hard and earnestly for success of polls. He not only spent his time but also contributed his share of mone towards defering expenses of many campaigns. He was honored by his party and many offices of trust that he had filled. He was a constable at the time of his death. In a business way he was successful when young, but he in his later years met the financial reverse. Personally, he was a gentleman that everyone held in high regard his social life was one of pleasure and enjoyment and once happy home is past into mourning by the visit of death.
Biographical; Fred Baker was a native of Orange Co. Ind was born Nov 1, 1820 his parents were well known in Orange Co and in other parets of Indiana. Fred Baker was given a common school education and he availed himself early in life to learn all the knowledge that he probably could. During the year of 1823 accompanied by his parents to Sangamon Co. Ill in the spring of 1827 they went to the lead mining region in Jo Daviess Co. In 1829, they returned to Peoria, Ill after residing there for 3 years they moved to LaFayette Co. Wi. His father opened a cabin and trading post there and with the Indians and had to accommodate everyone that came along. Fred Baker was united in marriage Feb. 11, 1841 to Clarinda Crain. She was born in Randolph Co. Ill Dec 15, 1819. Her father came to Carroll Co. in 1829 the deceased held the office of constable and deputy sheriff for 15 years and was acting sheriff during the early history of Stephenson Co. afterwards engaged in farming in Silver Creek twp and successfully conducted a farm until 1879 when he sold the farm and came to Freeport. During his career, he held many offices and public trust. He served as a member of the board of supervisors for many years, held the office of Justice of the Peace, road commissioner and other town and school offices. 8 children were born to Mr and Mrs Baker 3 of whom are living and 5 dead. The names of the living are: Mrs J R Weaver, Frank G, and John W of Freeport. The funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock it is not know whether they will be held from the home or the church. The Baker funeral the remains of the late Fred Baker were interred this afternoon at Scott's cemetery near Crains grove. Funeral services were held at the late home on S Galena Ave conducted by Rev. Harkness. His remains were followed to the grave by his old friends and neighbors.

The funeral had been postponed from yesterday until today on account of the non arrival of his daughter, Mrs. J R Weaver.

Tilden History of Stephenson county 1880, page 615 there is a sketch about Fred Baker. Also he is listed in the Old Settlers List, which is a list of all the old settlers that died for the whole year. He died Aug 13 1892.

More About Frederick Baker:
Burial: Unknown, Scott's Cemetery near Craine's Grove, Stephenson County, Illinois

Marriage Notes for Clarinda Crain and Frederick Baker:
Baker, Frederick Crane, Clevinda 06 Mar 1841 Illinois Stephenson County
Children of Clarinda Crain and Frederick Baker are:
+ 384 i.   Harriet6 Baker, born January 13, 1842 in Illinois; died November 04, 1902.
  385 ii.   John W. Baker, born October 20, 1844; died December 1892 in Stephenson County, Illinois. He married Mary A. Unknown; died Unknown.
  Notes for John W. Baker:
Co. K 17th Ill. Cal. GAR #98

  Notes for Mary A. Unknown:
possibly Crandall

  Marriage Notes for John Baker and Mary Unknown:
This could be John W. and Mary unknown

  386 iii.   Mary J. Baker, born Abt. 1850; died Bef. August 1892.
  387 iv.   Charles F. Baker, born 1853; died May 27, 1873 in Silver Creek, Stephenson County, Illinois.
  Notes for Charles F. Baker:
Freeport Weekly Journal 4 June 1873 pg 8

Charles Baker age 12, the son of Frederick Baker Esq. Silver Creek was kicked by a horse 2 weeks ago last Monday, May 19, 1873 and died from the effects of it last Tuesday evening May 27, 1873. This is a calamity to his family and his friends that will be hard to bear.

His age must be in error here, he is listed in the 1870 census as age 17, he would have been 20 when this accident happened.

  388 v.   Frank G. Baker, born Abt. 1856; died Unknown. He married Callie Burrell May 09, 1877 in Stephenson County, Illinois97; died Unknown.
  Marriage Notes for Frank Baker and Callie Burrell:

  389 vi.   Ida M. Baker, born March 03, 1860; died March 14, 1875 in Silver Creek, Stephenson County, Illinois98.
  Notes for Ida M. Baker:
Freeport Weekly Journal 24 Aug 1875 pg 5

Ida M. Baker daughter of Frederick after suffering from Thyphoid fever for more than 6 weeks died 1 week ago sabbath morning March 14, 1875. She was an affectionate and beloved child and will be much missed by the family. The funeral was attended from Mr Baker's residence on Monday March 15, 1875 afternoon and notwithstanding the fearful storm was well attended. The Rev. D B. Byers officiated, we also learn that Mrs Baker is seriously ill from the same fever and for the past 4 months there has been one of the family down with the dreadful disease. We are sure this afflicted family have the sympathies of the community in general.

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]
Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009