Unsolved Marbury Mysteries
Gilbert Marburie arrives in Elizabeth City, VA in 1623/24 on the Southampton.
- Is he related to the Marburys of Repton, Derby, England?
- Is he,in fact, the Gilbert Marbury who was born March 25, 1585 in Repton?
- Is he the progenitor of the Marbury family of America?
Captain Anthony Marbury is living in the Barbados between 1629 and 1638.
- Is this Anthony Marbury of 1608 who is the son of the Rev. Francis Marbury?
- If not, is he related to the family of Rev. Francis Marbury of 1555?
Richard Marbery arrives in Virginia in 1643.
Francis Maybury arrives in Virginia between 1672 and 1679?
- Is he related to the Marbury family?
- He is the progenitor of the Maybury, Mabry and Mayberry families in America.
- Where did he come from in England?
Are Anne Marbury Hutchinson and Katherine Marbury Scott of New England related to the Marbury family of Prince George's Co., MD?
Francis Marbury purchased land in Charles Co., MD in 1690.
- Who are the parents of Francis Marbury of Charles and Prince George's Cos., MD?
- How is he related to the Marburys of England?
- He appears to be the forefather of most of the Marbury/Marberrys in America.
Leonard Marbury, Sr. is born in Prince George's Co., MD - the son of Francis Marbury and Mary Green.
- Was he born in 1700/1 or 1708?
- What was his wife Penelopy's maiden name?
- Did he move from Maryland to Georgia or go via Loudoun Co., VA?
- Who are the three sons of Leonard Marbury, Sr., named in his obituary?
- Who are the three daughters of Leonard Marbury, Sr.?
- He died in 1794 at the age of 93 - so he was born in 1701, right?
Francis, Lenard and Thomas Marbury are named as "brothers" in a three-lives-lease in Loudoun Co., VA in 1753.
- Are they the three sons of Leonard Marbury, Sr.?
- Are they Francis Marbery of the 1790 Rowan Co., NC Census; Col. Leonard Marbury, Jr. of Richmond Co., GA and Thomas Marbury, Sr. of the 1790 Census of Edgefield Co., SC?
Horatio Marbury was the Secretary of State of Georgia until 1811.
- Can he be a son of Leonard Marbury, Sr./
- He died in 1820 - was he of a younger generation?
- James Jones, the nephew of Col. Leonard Marbury, addresses Horatio Marbury as his "Cousin" in a letter. Are they of the next generation?
Francis Marberry and wife Tabitha sold their lands in Rowan County, NC in 1795.
- Did he move to Montgomery County, NC?
- Did he die in Montgomery Co., NC about 1799-1800?
- Tabitha Marbury is the head of household in 1800 and 1810 in Montgomery Co., NC. - Francis is not listed in a census after 1790.
- Who are their children? How many children did they have? The 1790 Census of Rowan Co., NC lists 1 probable daughter and 6 probable sons, but by 1790 Leonard Marbury (probably a son) and Tabitha Marbury (probable daughter) would have been in separate households. This would mean that there were at least 7 sons and 2 daughters.
My great-great grandfather Francis Marberry was born on May 7, 1781 in North Carolina, how does he fit into the Marbury/Marberry picture?
John Lee Marberry
LaFox, IL 60147