- 1893 Divorce for Eliza & Thomas J. Bartholomew (210 KB)
Taken from Angelina County District Clerk, Civil Minutes, Page 69.
- Map of Green Martin's Land in Butler County, AL (32 KB)
SECTION 31/T9N R15E
Indicated by red circle
- Death Certificate of John J. Bartholomew, 1974 (194 KB)
John Jefferson "Sonny" Bartholomew, 1974. Oldest child of William John Bartholomew and Bessie Green.
- Green Martin's Land in Butler County, AL [Zoomed] (110 KB)
Street-level view of approximate area of Green Martin's land in Butler County, AL. Estimated location would be somewhere near center or lower left of picture.
- Death Certificate of William J. Bartholomew, 1966 (127 KB)
William John Bartholomew, younger brother of Essie Mae Bartholomew Martin Jenkins.
- Eliza Duce vs. James Duce -- Civil Case (146 KB)
This is a page from the Angelina County Civil Minutes, probably pertaining to divorce between Eliza Dixon and her 3rd husband James Duce.
- William "Johnny" Bartholomew (32 KB)
Brother of Essie Mae Bartholomew Martin Jenkins. He liked to smoke his Luckies and play dominoes, often leaving for days at a time on gambling trips (if he was winning). He had TB, so he shouldn't have smoked!
- Gravestone of Bessie Green Bartholomew (97 KB)
First wife of W.J. Bartholomew, mother of Louis Andy Fair, John J. Bartholomew and Essie Maye Bartholomew. Buried at Conner Cemetery in the Plain Community, near Ratcliff, Houston County, TX.
- Bartholomew Family, early 1940's (56 KB)
L-R: John "Sonny" Bartholomew, Doris Mae Lane Bartholomew, William "Johnny" Bartholomew, Essie Mae Bartholomew.
- Painting of Bessie Green Bartholomew (45 KB)
Photograph of a painting of Bessie Bartholomew, taken in early 1930's.
- Eliza Ann Brown with children, 1910 (110 KB)
L-R: Johnny Bartholomew, Eliza Ann Brown, Bertie Brown.
- Death Certificate of Jack E. Martin Sr, 1984 (134 KB)
Son of Essie Mae Bartholomew Martin Jenkins and William Allen Martin. He lied about his age on the certificate, he was born actually born 29 Nov 1910.
- Gravestone of Louis Andy Fair (92 KB)
Son of Henry Fair and Bessie Green, step-son of W.J. Bartholomew. Buried at Conner Cemetery in Plain Community, near Ratcliff, Houston County, TX.
- Closeup of Eliza Ann Brown, 1910 (76 KB)
Eliza Ann Dixon first married Thomas Bartholomew in 1886, then Henry Clay Brown in 1893.
- Death Certificate of Nolan D. Martin Sr, 1969 (130 KB)
Son of Essie Mae Bartholomew Martin Jenkins and William Allen Martin. Strangely, at the time of his death, no one knew his parents' names.
- Vernon and Carol Fair (65 KB)
Louis Andy Fair Jr. (better known as "Vernon") and his wife Carol.
- Henry Clay Brown, circa 1900 (134 KB)
Henry Clay Brown, age 37. Second husband of Eliza Dixon Bartholomew, stepfather to Johnny Bartholomew, and father to Bertie Brown.
- Marriage Cert. / Willie & Essie Martin, 1907 (131 KB)
Married 3 May 1907 in Angelina County, TX.
- Syble Braunwert in 2004 (36 KB)
Syble is the youngest daughter of Bertie Brown and Talmadge Mathews. Taken at her home in Palestine, Anderson Co., TX.
- Death Certificate for Clyde Martin, 1983 (322 KB)
Clyde was the youngest son of Willie and Essie Martin.
- Marriage Cert. / Essie & Walker Jenkins, 1916 (117 KB)
After Willie's death from pneumonia in 1914, Essie remarried Walker Jenkins in Cherokee County in 1916.
- Syble Braunwert and Family (40 KB)
L-R: Frank Braunwert, Syble Braunwert, Linda Stout, Katherine "Kat" Thompson, Melvin Thompson.
- Michelle Enman, c.1974 (20 KB)
Michelle is the granddaughter of Clyde Martin. She is the daughter of Clyde's eldest daughter Joanne June Martin Enman.
- Death Certificate of Pascual M. Diaz, 1948 (192 KB)
Pascual Melcaides Diaz, father of Beatriz. Fell and hit his head while drunk.
- Michelle & Todd Christian Enman, c.1974 (27 KB)
Michelle and Todd are the children of Joanne June Martin, eldest daughter of Clyde Martin.
- Patrick Martin Jr at Rusk Courthouse, 2002 (49 KB)
Standing on the steps of the Rusk, TX courthouse. It was on this trip that we first saw Willie Allen Martin's gravestone in Alto.
- Connor John Hadden, 2002 (34 KB)
Connor is the son of Michelle Enman Hadden and Ryan Hadden. Connor is the great-grandson of Clyde Martin.
- Michelle and Ryan Hadden, Sept. 2001 (38 KB)
Parents of Connor John Hadden. Taken in Las Vegas, NV.
- Andrew William Martin, 2002 (41 KB)
Son of Patrick Martin Jr., 6 months old in this picture.
- Linda Thompson Stout (38 KB)
Linda is the daughter of Syble Braunwert, and the grand-daughter of Bertie Brown.
- Patrick Martin Sr. and Vernon Fair, 2004 (54 KB)
Patrick is the son of Jack Ernest Martin and Vernon in the son of Louis Andy Fair. Taken at Vernon's home in Livingston, TX.
- Gravestone of Willie Allen Martin in Alto, TX (56 KB)
Born February 10, 1880; died October 19, 1914 at age 34. An inscription at the base of the stone reads "Farewell, my wife and children all, from thee a father Christ doth call" This hardworking father died of pneumonia left behind a wife and three children.
- Patrick Martin Jr. and Veron Fair, 2004 (55 KB)
Patrick is the grandson of Jack Ernest Martin and Vernon in the son of Louis Andy Fair. Taken at Vernon's home in Livingston, TX.
- Gravestone of William J. Bartholomew (70 KB)
Brother of Essie May Bartholomew (elder). Glen Rest Cemetery, Kerrville, TX.
- W.J. Bartholomew and Louis Fair (53 KB)
Johnie with his step-son Louis Fair. Taken in Kerrville by Bessie Bartholomew. Johnie appears to be wearing a Colt revolver.
- Gravestone of Essie Maye Bartholomew (79 KB)
Daughter of William J. Bartholomew. Named after William's older sister. Glen Rest Cemetery, Kerrville, TX.
- W.J. Bartholomew and Family, Early 1930's (38 KB)
L-R: Bessie, Essie Maye, Johnie, Sonny.
- Gravestone of John Jefferson Bartholomew (83 KB)
Son of William J. Bartholomew. Glen Rest Cemetery, Kerrville, TX.
- Louis Fair and Mirtie Blaylock (49 KB)
Taken on their wedding day in late 1920's. Louis was the son of Bessie Green and the step-son of W.J. Bartholomew.
- Kenneth Martin & Meagan Martin, 2001 (33 KB)
Son and great-granddaughter of Nolan Dempsey Martin.
- Gravestone of Doris Lane Bartholomew (62 KB)
2nd wife of William J. Bartholomew. Glen Rest Cemetery, Kerrville, TX.
- Bertie Mathews, 1994 (376 KB)
Bertie was the daughter of Eliza Ann Dixon and Henry Clay Brown, and the half-sister of W.J. and Essie May Bartholomew.
- Kenneth, Dorothy and Roger Martin, early 1960's (97 KB)
Children of Nolan Dempsey Martin.
- Bertie Brown Mathews and Family (59 KB)
Bertie Brown was the half-sister of W.J. and Essie Mae Bartholomew. Pictured are daughter Koreski, Bertie, Talmadge and daughter Eunice.
- Martin Land Grants in Butler County, AL 1823-1898 (32 KB)
Color-coded map of land grant locations
- Larry and Michelle Martin, 2001 (27 KB)
Son of Nolan Martin Jr., with wife.
- Beatriz Diaz Martin & Sons, 1940's (12 KB)
L-R: Patrick, Beatriz and Jack Jr. Taken in front of house on 109 Park Court in San Antonio.
- Charlie Lee Martin Sr. and Descendents (1829 KB)
Charlie Lee Martin Sr. pictured with grandsons Charlie Lee Martin III Paul L. Martin and their wives. Charlie Sr. is the grandson of William Martin, brother of Green Martin.
- Melani Martin Forks & David Forks, 2001 (27 KB)
Daughter of Nolan Martin Jr., with husband.
- Studio shot of Doris Lane Bartholomew (57 KB)
Doris was the second wife of W.J. Bartholomew
- Reuben G.W. Martin and Wife (177 KB)
Earlist known photo of a Butler County Martin. Reuben was one of the original Martin brothers born in Georgia. His was was Penelope "Nellie" Overstreet.
- Nolan Martin Jr & Carolyn Martin, 2001 (37 KB)
Son of Nolan Dempsey Martin, with wife.
- Essie Maye Bartholomew, circa 1940 (34 KB)
Taken at high school graduation in Kerrville.
- Nolan Martin Jr. Family, 2001 (44 KB)
L-R: Ronald Martin, Brett Martin, Larry Martin, Carolyn Martin, Nolan Martin Jr, Melani Martin
- Christmas card from Essie Maye Bartholomew (30 KB)
Sent to Nolan Martin Sr. Signed in Essie Maye's own hand.
- Grandchildren of Nolan Martin Jr. (53 KB)
L-R: Jehramy Forks, Carissa Martin, Davy Forks, Meagan Martin, Shaun Forks, Kale Forks (front)
- Ronnie and Jill Martin, 2001 (41 KB)
Son of Nolan Martin Jr, with wife.
- SS-5 Form for Bertie Lee Brown (130 KB)
Bertie was the half-sister of Essie May Bartholomew and daughter of Eliza Ann Dixon and Henry Clay Brown.
- Patrick Martin Jr Family, 2002 (97 KB)
Patrick Jr., Beth and Andrew William Martin
- Robert Diaz/Jack Martin Families, circa 1947 (47 KB)
Back(L-R): Robert Diaz, Agnes Diaz. Front(L-R): Jack Martin Sr., Beatriz Martin
- Car Toll Rises... (34 KB)
Article from December, 1964 on the death of Jack Ernest Martin Jr. from Fort Worth Star-Telegram
- Jack Ernest Martin, circa 1945 (9 KB)
This picture needs no description!
- Jack Martin Family, circa 1946-1947 (37 KB)
Clockwise from left: Jack Ernest Martin, Jack Ernest Martin Jr., Beatriz Martin, Patrick Martin
- Jack Martin & Sons, 1940's (21 KB)
L-R: Jack Jr., Jack Sr., Patrick. Taken at San Pedro Park in San Antonio.
- Esther & Beatriz Diaz, 1918-1920 (31 KB)
This stunning photo was probably taken in San Antonio.
- Jack Martin, Boxer (33 KB)
Probably taken in late 1920's or early 1930's. Jack sent this picture to his older brother Nolan. The photo lists Jack's weight as 175lb.
- Patrick Martin Family, 1981 (13 KB)
L-R: Sharon, Patrick Jr. and Patrick Sr. Taken at Mi Tierra restaurant in the Mercado, San Antonio, TX
- Jack Martin Family (13 KB)
Taken at 109 Park Court, San Antonio.
- Patrick, Jack, Patti Ann & Constance, 1954 (14 KB)
Back L-R: Patrick Martin, Jack Martin Jr. Front L-R: Patti Ann Mays, Constance Diaz
- Jack Martin, 1940's (19 KB)
Photo from Jack to his niece Polly (Dorothy) Martin, daughter of Nolan.
- Patrick Martin Jr, 2002 (87 KB)
- Beth and Patrick Martin Jr., 2001 (18 KB)
Beth and Patrick on their wedding day [and Patrick Sr's birthday], February 23, 2001.
- Dorothy "Polly" Martin (17 KB)
Daughter of Nolan Martin. Taken around 1960.
- Death Certificate of Jack Ernest Martin Jr, 1964 (101 KB)
Jack died at the age of 27 when his car plunged into a dry creek bed on a poorly marked dead-end road.
- Moises Esparza. circa 1910 (10 KB)
Moises Esparza, maternal uncle of Beatriz Diaz
- Koreski Mae and Eunice Mathews (34 KB)
Daughters of Bertie Brown Mathews, half-sister of W.J. and Essie Mae Bartholomew.
- Marriage Cert. of W.J. Bartholomew & Doris Lane (182 KB)
Married in 1935 in Kerrville, TX. Doris was Johnie's second wife.
- Koreski, Eunice and Syble Mathews (42 KB)
Daughters of Bertie Brown Mathews
- SS-5 for Nolan Dempsey Martin, 1937 (200 KB)
Social Security Application
- Koreski Mae Mathews (31 KB)
Daughter of Bertie Brown Mathews
- Obituary for Clyde J. Martin, 1983 (32 KB)
From Salt Lake Tribune, April 11, 1983, Page D-1
- Martin brothers, 1914 (36 KB)
L-R: Nolan, Clyde and Jack.
- Gravestone of Nolan Dempsey Martin (75 KB)
San Jose Burial Park, San Antonio, TX
- Martin brothers, circa 1922 (32 KB)
L-R: Jack, Clyde, Nolan
- Patrick Martin Jr. & Nolan Martin Jr., 2002 (67 KB)
Taken at San Jose Burial Park, San Antonio, TX.
- Arial Photo of Essie's Accident Scene (88 KB)
Places accident scene in reference to Kerrville town and VA Hospital in Legion.
- A View from the Road (57 KB)
Photo taken at or near spot of Essie's accident, facing entrance to river road from Highway 27. The death car be heading toward you.
- Here Once Stood Essie's House (54 KB)
On this lot was Essie's house on Riverside Drive. The house in the photo is 2920 Riverside Drive and was probably built later.
- Beth and Patrick Martin Jr, 2001 (37 KB)
Beth and Patrick on June 30, 2001 at the wedding reception given by Beth's Parents, Lloyd and Rebecca Mercer.
- Martin Families, 2001 (31 KB)
L-R: Patrick Martin Jr, Beth Martin, Sharon Martin, Patrick Martin Sr. Taken June 30, 2001in Tyler, TX.
- Nolan Martin, 1930's (15 KB)
Taken in Kerrville
- Nolan Martin Family (28 KB)
Back row: Nolan Sr. and Ethel Mae Martin
Front row: Dorothy, Kenneth, Nolan Jr.
- William J. Bartholomew w/ 2nd Wife Doris (31 KB)
William Johnie Bartholomew (1892-1966) was the younger brother of Essie May Bartholomew Martin.
- Nolan Martin (7 KB)
Headshot of Nolan, the fire chief of Kerrville
- Nolan Martin with height ruler (10 KB)
Shows how tall Nolan was.
- A Silent Witness (51 KB)
This old tree on the lot where Essie's house once stood, is the only thing left of the original accident scene in 1929.
- Death Certificate of Essie Jenkins, 1929 (190 KB)
Death certificate of Essie Bartholomew Martin Jenkins.
- Johnny Bartholomew, WWI Recruit (33 KB)
Probably taken around 1916-1917.
- The story behind the story (83 KB)
Front-page article from July 22, 2002 Kerrville Daily Times describing my efforts to uncover the family history.
- Death Certificate of Essie Mae Bartholomew, 1944 (200 KB)
Essie Mae Bartholomew, youngest child of William Johnny Bartholomew and Bessie Green.
- W.J. Bartholomew Family, circa 1937 (35 KB)
L-R: Essie Maye, Johnny, Doris, Sonny.
- W.J. Bartholomew as a young man (21 KB)
Probably taken in 1920's
- Annie Ruth Babineaux, 1929 (48 KB)
Youngest daughter of Edwin Babineaux. Essie Bartholomew Martin Jenkins died trying to save this girl from a speeding car.
- Mathews & Bartholomew Families, 1929 (138 KB)
L-R: Bertie Mathews, Koreski Mathews, Essie Maye Bartholomew (front), Eunice Mathews (seated), Sonny Bartholomew (baby), Bessie Bartholomew, Sybil Mathews (front), Johnny Bartholomew, Talmadge Mathews. Taken at Crockett, TX in 1929. The car appears to be Chevrolet convertible from 1928-1929.
- Edwin Babineaux, Annie Babineaux, Essie Jenkins (55 KB)
Taken in 1929, before Essie and Annie were killed by a speeding car outside Kerrville. This is the only known photo of Essie.
- W.J. Bartholomew, 1917 (148 KB)
From the collection of Bertie Mathews.
- Gravestone of Essie May Bartholomew Martin Jenkins (41 KB)
Erected August 2002 at Center Point Cemetery, near Kerrville, TX. John 15:13 - "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Students of Pollok School, 1907 (148 KB)
Johnny Bartholomew is 3rd row, 3rd from left. Bertie Brown is 4th from right on the back row.
- Closeup of Essie May Bartholomew Martin Jenkins (14 KB)
Wife of William Allen Martin, older sister of William "Johnie" Bartholomew, mother of Nolan/Jack/Clyde Martin.
- Ryan and Michelle Hadden (14 KB)
Michelle is the daughter of Joanne Martin Enman, and the granddaughter of Clyde J. Martin.
- Hadden Family, 2002 (22 KB)
Clockwise L-R: Michelle, Ryan, Brittany, Connor.
- Hadden Family, 2002 (17 KB)
Clockwise L-R: Michelle, Brittany, Connor, Ryan.