The Thomas Roork family of Meigs County, TN.Updated February 21, 2004
|Family Name: ROORK
THOMAS ROORK, SR. 1728 to 1835 Thomas Sr, lived with his wife Susanna in Blount County, TN, where Thomas Jr. and his brother Samuel were born.
Thomas SR testified of his converstion from Catholicism to Methodism in Dublin on February 21, 1762. In the years following he was "received into the itinerancy" by John and Charles Wesley and preached in Dublin, Limrick and other places. The Irish Methodist Church has him "departed from the work, presumably to go to America" in 1770
Thomas SR was a Loyalist in the American Revolution, listed with the King's American Regiment, Captain Rober Gray's Company, Commanded by Colonel Edmund Fanning.
THOMAS ROORK, JR. was born June 15, 1796 in Blount county TN and died at his son, James Wesley's home in Portland,Oregon on June 1,1867. He is buried in Clackamas County, Oregon. His wife, S. Jemima Roork was born 1805 and died April 4, 1837 in TN. Jemima is buried next to Thomas, Sr. in Ten Mile, Tennessee. The children of Thomas and Jemima are as listed below:
1. MARY ANN ROORK, born February 26, 1820 in Blount County, TN. She married Cristly Hackler in 1840 and moved to AR. Her family is listed in the 1850 census as a neighbor to her brother William and his wife, Martha. At least one son became a Methodist Circuit rider and planter of Methodist churches in the Little Rock area.
2. NANCY ROORK, born June 16, 1821 in TN; died October 1, 1901 in Lincoln, Oregon. Nancy married Joshua Witten and went west to the Willamette Valley of Oregon. She is buried in Salem, Oregon, at the Pioneer Cemetery. Joshua and Nancy were involved in the Methodist Church, Joshua being a "local preacher".
3. SAMUEL ROORK, born 1822 and died July , 1889. Samuel remained on the farm in TN and never moved west. He is buried in Ten Mile, TN at Rocky Springs Cemetery. His name is misspelled in the Meigs County Cemetery Book.
4. SARAH ROORK, born September 20, 1823 in TN. died June 1, 1892 in Oregon. Sarah married CARTER and RICHEY. She is buried in Damascas Pioneer Cemetery, Multnomah County, Oregon.
5. WILLIAM ROORK, born November 27, 1824. William married Martha Witten and moved to AK. He is in the 1850 census living next to his mother-in-law, Sarah Witten, and his sister, Mary Ann. Martha is the daughter of a Methodist circuit rider from Virginia/Tennessee.
6. JOHN HENNINGER ROORK, born Jan 20, 1826 in TN, died Feb. 18, 1895 in Oregon. He married Lititia Witten in TN. After her death, he married Eveline Herrick, and then Betsy Levar. Buried at Lee Cemetery, Salem, Oregon. John was an ordained Methodist Minister.
7. HARVY ROORK, born March 26, 1827, died April 27, 1852. Buried at the ROORK Cemetery in Meigs County, TN. His wife Susan and a child were in MO with the Witten family.
8. JAMES WESLEY ROORK, born October 19, 1828 in TN, died 1884 in Oregon. He married Nancy A. Hollomon in TN. He is buried at the Ecabar Cemetery in Gresham, Oregon. James had at least one son in the Methodist ministry.
9. GEORGE W. ROORK, born Feb. 15, 1830, died June 2, 1904. A Methodist Minister in Oregon. Buried at Lee Cemetery in Salem, Oregon next to his brother, John.
10. CHARLES RILEY ROORK, born 1831, died March 29, 1914. Buried at the Olney Cemetery, Pendleton, Oregon. Charles line helped found the Methodist Church in Pendleton.
11. THOMAS GILFORD ROORK, born 1834, died November 27, 1878. Buried in the Lone Fir Cemetery, Portland, Oregon.
12. S. ELIZABETH ROORK, born Jan 27, 1835, died November 12, 1899 in Oregon. She married Archen Kelly.
ALICE ROORK MAXSON
Edit Your Page
The content shown on this page has been submitted by a Genealogy.com customer, and is not subject to verification by Genealogy.com. Neither Genealogy.com nor its affiliates are responsible for the accuracy of any information contained on this page. The opinions expressed on this page are the author's alone and not the opinions of Genealogy.com.
|© 2009 Ancestry.com|