ASSOCIATED HODGSON FAMILIES:Smithson / Hetherington / Ware / Mixer
Hetherington Hodgson, son of William John Hodgson & Jane Hetherington (daughter of Sir Hugh Hetherington), was born on 19 Jan 1814 in High Crosby, Cumberland County, England.
- siblings include John, Mary, & Jane Hodgson, born between 1815 and 1825
He married Rebecca Smithson, who was born in 1815, daughter of Richard Smithson & Mary Jefferson, in Ireby, Cumberland County, England.
- siblings include Richard, Robert, John, and Thomas Smithson
Hetherington & Rebecca came to America in 1841, settling first in Taunton, Mass., and moving to Deerfield Township, Steele County, Minnesota in 1851.
5 of their 8 children moved from Minnesota to a farm near Hutchinson, Reno County, Kansas in 1871.
- Harry, Thomas, Mary, Jane, & William
- Elizabeth married Ezra Crandall, lived in Minnesota
- Richard & Thomas settled in Stoneham, Mass.
- Sarah stayed in Minnesota, and died at age 18 while visiting in Kansas
1. Hetherington's "uncle" was "Capt. Hodgson" who was "prominent in the Indian Mutiny, and during an uprising in India, he shot the Rajah of Bengal and also his heir... putting an end to the mutiny."
2. Rebecca wrote in her Bible that she was "cousin" to "James Smithson" and to "US President Thomas Jefferson".
OTHER FAMILIES OF RESEARCH:
McMannis / Nabors / Martin / Cavander
Phillips / Oswalt
Schrader / Helmers