Notes for EZRA B. STONECIPHER: The settlement of Morgan County began soon after the Indian title to the lands was extinguished. One of the first settlers, if not the first, was SAMUEL HALL, who located about seven miles northeast of Wartburg in 1807. He had a large family of children, among whom were DAVID, ELIJAH, ELISHA, LUKE AND GARRETT HALL. His brother, MARTIN HALL, located in the same vicinity. At about the same time DAVID STONECIPHER entered land and made a settlement on Crooked Fork. JOSEPH and BENJAMIN STONECIPHER entered land adjoining him, while EZRA STONECIPHER located on Beach Fork. In 1814 MICHAEL STONECIPHER made an entry on Big Emory. During the same year, JOHN M. STAPLES settled on the south side of Big Emory, near the crossing of the Cincinnati Southern Railroad. He had six sons: JOHN M., ABNER F., DAVID, WILLIAM, THOMAS AND BENJAMIN T. The first two removed to other States. The last named located near Sunbright, the site of which he owned. The first settlers on Flat Fork were Elijah REESE and Titus ENGLAND, both of whom located in 1808. The first to locate on White Oak Creek was John FREELS, who came in 1811. The next year Royal PRICE settled on Clear Creek, at its junction with Obed River, on land which, prior to that time, had been occupied by William SHOEMAKER. Among the other pioneers who came to the county prior to 1815 may be mentioned the following: Mathias WILLIAMS, Ephriam DAVIS and Nicholas SUMMERS, Who located on Crooked Fork. Squire and Morgan HENDRICKS, who located on Emory River above the HALLS; John WEBB, who lived below, on the same stream; Charles WILLIAMS, Lewis RECTOR, Littleburg BRIENT, John CRAIG, Charles and Andrew PREWITT, who lived on Little Emory, or its waters; Jesse CASEY, Zachariah EMBREE, Hartsell HURT, who located on Crab Orchard Creek; Jeremiah HATFIELD and Basil HUMAN, who settled on Bone Camp, and John BRASEL, Jacob and John LAYMANCE, Andrew SHANNON and Robert McCCARTT, whose locations could not be definitely determined. The house known as the "Indian Tavern" is said to have been built by William DAVIDSON, who came to the county about 1810. He had served in the Revolutionary war as captain of a company of NC militia, and was one of the early settlers of Buncombe County. He was a friend of the Cherokees, could speak their language, and his house became a sort of resort for them, hence its name. As he did not own the land upon which the house was built, he soon removed to land which he entered about one mile south of Kesmet. (http://www.tngenweb.org/morgan/goodspeedhist.html) ------------------------------------------------------------------------- "HISTORY" The Kelly House on Beech Fork Creek in Morgan County was built in 1814 when settlers with landgrants for Revolutionary War service were moving into the TN wilderness. The gravel road in front of the house, with its plank bridges across the creeks, was at one time the main turnpike between Petros and Wartburg.
Ezra Stonecipher, Lillie Kelly's maternal great-grandfather, built the house and subsequently sold it to her paternal great-grandfather, James Martin Kelly. Four generations of Kellys have lived in the old house, and descending grandchildren, through the eighth generation, have visited here and climbed the staircases beside the huge stone chimney to view the loom on the third floor.
The original construction of hand-hewn poplar logs can be seen in a storage room on the second floor where valuables were hidden from the soldiers during the Civil War. The second floor bedroom ceilings have hand-planed joists with beaded edges, and the rafters, clearly visible on the third floor, are put together with wooden pegs.
The kitchen initially had a huge fireplace for cooking and heating. The dining room and kitchen doors have the nail-head trim peculiar to early American houses. Lillie recalls that the house once had shutters at the windows and an upstairs porch to air their bedding.
The old house has stood one hundred and sixty-nine years, sheltering against the cold of winter and the heat of summer's sun. Its rooms have rung with joy and laughter. It has rejoiced when babies were born and stood bleak and silent when sickness and death have taken their toll.
Most of all, it has always been a house of love and warm hospitality, reflecting the spirit of those within. (http://www.tngenweb.org/morgan/photoalbum/KELLYFAMILY.html)
More About EZRA B. STONECIPHER: Date born 2: 01 Jan 1782, Lewis Fork, Wilkes, North Carolina, USA.119 Census: 1830, Morgan County, TN. Deed: 08 Feb 1832, Purchased 50 acres on Beech Fork of Emory River from Jacob Lamance.120 Died 2: 1838, Hopkinsville, Kentucky, USA.121 Migrated from: Bet. 1803 - 1806, NC to Roane Co., TN. Military service: Revolutionary War. Occupation: Gunsmith and furniture maker. Residence 1: Beech Fork Creek, Morgan Co., TN. Residence 2: Lived in a part of Roane Co., TN that later became Morgan Co., TN.
More About EZRA B. STONECIPHER and SUSANNAH CURTIS: Marriage: 02 Sep 1802, Buffalo Cove, Ashe Co., NC.122
Children of EZRA B. STONECIPHER and SUSANNAH CURTIS are: