Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals |InterneTree |Sources


View Tree for William (Weilleum) ComptonWilliam (Weilleum) Compton (b. 1622, d. September 1694)


Picture of William (Weilleum) Compton
Compton Wyngates

William (Weilleum) Compton (son of Spencer Compton) was born 1622 in Kent, England - Compton Wynyates, Warwickshire, England, and died September 1694 in Gravesend, Long Island, New York.

 Includes NotesNotes for William (Weilleum) Compton:
William Compton was a sheriff (a position of much more importance at that time than now).

Migrated to Gravesend NY before 1645. Gravesend is now part of Brooklyn, but is often referred to as being on Long Island.
He was listed on the original list of 39 original English patentees (a person who has been granted a patent) in 1645.{This was New Netherlands at the time}
Per Gravesend town records on November 24, 1657, Nicholas Stillwell sold lot 29, with house and barn, to William Compton for 400 pounds of good tobacco to be delivered next April 1.

In 1652, he stated in a desposition that he was 30 years old. He was sworn in as Constable on June 29, 1677.
Gravesend was an early English settlement in an area in modern Brooklyn adjacent to Coney Island.
It is real close to Sandy Hook, New Jersey (known as one of the haunts of Captain Kidd.)
It is reported but not confirmed that William was the son of Spencer Compton, which would attach him to royal line. See Compton Wynyates for that genealogy. { This has been described as a Tudor park on the site of a deserted village, and it is likely that most of the inhabitants were connected with the stately Compton Wynyates House, remarkable in having belonged to the Compton family in the direct male line since the very beginning of the thirteenth century. It lies about five miles north east of Shipston on Stour. The name Compton meant 'a deep hollow in a hill' and it is still sometimes known as 'Compton-in-the- hole' }

He made an affadavit in a lawsuit, in his sworn statement he said he was born in 1622 in England.In July 1643, the Church of England was over thrown and Presbyterianism was the only religion tolerated in England. It is quite apparent that William Compton left there because of religion, as Baptists and Quakers were in great disfavour.Legend has it that William went into exile in Holland, as many did at that time, then emigrated to the Massachusetts Bay Colony in the United States where the same religious situation developed. He then moved with other Baptists to LongIsland, New York (at that time a part of Connecticutt).
William was often called Weillum, because he lived among the Dutch, and it is believed he married a Dutch woman. It is not known if William died in Long Island or moved with his sonWilliam to New Jersey about the time Indian difficulties reached a climax in the mid 1660's.
Military Info: 1642 Age 20 in England The original Earl of Northamptons regiment was raised inWarwickshire and Oxfordshire in 1642 by the then Earl Spencer Compton. He commanded the horse troop of the regiment, which fought with the Oxford field army, until his death in action when he was succeeded by his son James. The horse are known to have fought in a number of the major battles of the Civil Wars including Hopton Heath, Newbury, Cropredy Bridge and Naseby. The foot part of the regiment was commanded by Spencer Compton's son William and was the Garrison at Banbury for most of the war. They also seem to have fought at the battles at Leicester and Middleton Cheney.The Gravesend, New York, William lived with the Dutch and was referred to as Weilleum.



William COMPTON was born about 1622. The first two Comptons in America were John Compton, who migrated from Kent County, England to Roxburry, Massachusetts before 1634, and William Compton, born about 1622, who settled in Gravesend, Long Island, New York before 1647. These two men are the forefathers of almost everyone who descends from comptons in the United States. It is not known how closely related these two colonial men were. John Compton was admitted to membership in the Boston, Massachusetts Church in 1642.

William Compton previously mentioned was a freeholder in Gravesend, Long Island, New York and lived among the Dutch who spelled his name Weilleum. He was on the list of 39 patentees in 1645. According to Gravesend town records, on November 24, 1657, Nicholas Stillwell sold the home lot plantation #29 to William Compton with house and barn for 400 pounds of good tobacco to be delivered on April 1st of the next year.

He was involved in additional land transactions in 1658 and 1659 in Gravesend. William Compton stated in a deposition in 1652 that he was thirty years old. He served as Constable of Gravesend and was sworn into office June 29, 1677. Apparently this William Compton died on Long Island, New York. Since this William Compton by best evidence had a son named William, it is likely that it was his son William who migrated to New Jersey.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gravesend, Long Island, Suffolk County, NewYork
Residence Memo: This area was also called New Netherlands

Legal/Court Memo: He made a deposition in the slander case of Nicholas Stillwell v. Ann Goulder. In his deposition, he stated that he was 30years old. This would put the year of his birth at about 1622.

Legal/Court Date: 1670 Age: 48
Legal/Court Place: Gravesend, Long Island, Suffolk County,New York
Legal/Court Memo: He was sued by Nicholas Stillwell. The suit involved William Compton hogs trespassing on Nicholas Stillwell's property at Settler's Neck.

Public Office Date: 29 Jun 1677 Age: 55
Public Office Place: Gravesend, Long Island, Suffolk County,New York
Public Office Memo: He was sworn into office as the Constable

Legal/Court Date: 1683 Age: 61
Legal/Court Place: Gravesend, Long Island, Suffolk County,New York
Legal/Court Memo: This suit involved William Compton hogs trespassing on Nicholas Stillwell's property at Settler's Neck. [This suit appears to be the last mention of William Compton 1. in the surviving records of Gravesend, Long Island. At this time William Compton would have been about 61 years old. ]
Death Date: aft 1683 Age: 61


Father: Spencer COMPTON (1601-1643)
Mother: Mary BEAUMONT (1604-1654)

BATTLES The Earl of Northampton's Regiment of Foote

Welcome to His Grace The Earl of Northampton's Regiment of Foote, one of the founding regiments of The Sealed Knot, which was formed in 1969 by Brigadier Peter Young, a highly renowned World War II army officer. The original Earl of Northamptons regiment was raised in Warwickshire and Oxfordshire in 1642 by the then Earl Spencer Compton. He commanded the horse troop of the regiment, which fought with the Oxford field army, until his death in action when he was succeeded by his son James. The horse are known to have fought in a number of the major battles of the CivilWars including Hopton Heath, Newbury, Cropredy Bridge and Naseby. The foot patrol the regiment was commanded by Spencer Compton's son William and was the Garrisonat Banbury for most of the war. They also seem to have fought at the battle sat Leicester and Middleton Cheney.Today the Earl of Northampton's regiment of the Sealed Knot has over 190 members and fights with Prince Palatines Tercio in the Royalist Army. We still retain links with the original regiment, as we are honoured to have as our patron the present Marquis of Northampton, who maintains a keen interest in our regiment and its activities. His son Lord Daniel Comptonis also an active member of the regiment, presently serving in the Company of Shotte.We are often invited to display at the family homes of the Compton family, Compton Wynyates in Oxfordshire and Castle Ashby in Northamptonshire.
We have members all over the country, with social groups foundin and around St. Neots (Cambs.), London (Holborn Stn.), Ashby-de-la-Zouch(Leics.), Bodelwyddan (N. Wales), Aylesbury (Bucks.), Harpenden (Herts.),and Tilty(Gt. Dunmow, Essex). But members of the regiment are spread far and wide,from Newcastle to London, Anglesey to the Wash, and even as far as Turin in Italy!
If you do not live in one of the major areas above do not worry, feel free to contact us to see if any members are local to you.
The regiment is divided into three main companies (as well asthe regimental staff):Col. Spencer Compton's Company of Pike; Col. Sir Charles Compton's Company of Shotte (comprising Cptn.Flintock Colbourne's Troop, Cptn. John Moore's Troop, and Cptn John Clark's Troop); Col. Sir William Compton's Company of Artillery.
We also have a substantial Baggage Trayne.As you can see, our regiment has a wide range of roles for itsmembers. As new members you are welcome to try any or all of these to see which you might prefer to do in the long run. There are both combatant roles e.g. the Pike, Shotte and Artillery, or non-combatant activities with the Baggage Trayne.
Members from all these companies are also involved in living history displays and events at musters and other events. The regiment has members from all sorts of backgrounds with all sorts of interests, and welcomes families and children; we currently have about 50 children in our membership.
With a friendly, relaxed atmosphere and such wide range of roles we think that anybody could find a comfortable niche in the Earl of Northamptons Regiment.
If you would like any more information about us or how to join please contact us using the Contacts page or the various Company contacts under the Arms of Service.
Yours in the Cause,
Sgt. Matt Langley Sgt. Dan Howe
God save the King.

The King's Lifeguard of Foote is a regiment in The Sealed Knot Society. Newark Garrison is a company within The King's Guard

The original Sealed Knot was a secret Royalist organisation of the 1650's. Today, with over 6000 volunteer members, The Sealed Knot can stage a wide variety of events, from small parades to large scale battles. Uniforms and weapons are made to look as authentic as possible and members are available to give talks at schools and other educational establishments.


BATTLES Banburyıs New Museum Receives Priceless Treasures 8 January 2002
A seventeenth century cannon and nineteenth century carriers cart are to be delivered to the new Banbury museum, operated by Cherwell District Council,on 16 January 2002.
These heavy artefacts will be lifted by crane to the first floor level and then through concealed doors into the main gallery space. The process will be monitored closely by conservation experts. Both items are directly associated with Banbury and neither has been displayed in the town before.
The cannon was found during excavations on the site of Banbury Castle in 1973, underneath what is now Castle Quay Shopping Centre. It was situated at the base of a tower and dates to an important moment in Banburyıs history, the siege of Banbury Castle in 1644.
Sir William Compton held Banbury Castle for King Charles1. Only 19 years old in 1644, he successfully repelled the Roundheads almost until the end of the war.Why the cannon appears to have been thrown off the battlementsis unknown.It may be that it was deliberately dropped on attackers below. The rear of the cannon is damaged, which may have happened as it was being fired.Repeated use would have weakened the cast iron, until it finally exploded,killing the unlucky soldier firing it. Its only use once damaged would then be as a missile.

BATTLES Oxfordshire
A county of England, 47 miles in length, and 29 in breadth; bounded by Buckinghamshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire, Warwickshire, and Northamptonshire. It is divided into 14 hundreds, which contain1 city, 12 market towns, 280 parishes, and 51 villages. The air is sweet, mild, pleasant, and healthy, for which reason it contains several gentlemen's seats; and the soil, though various, is fertile in corn and grass, and the hills are shaded with woods.

It is also a great sporting country, there being abundance of game preserved here. It has no manufactures of any account, being chiefly agricultural. Its chief city is Oxford.Population,161,643.

It sends 9 members to parliament.-- James Barclay's Complete and Universal English Dictionary, 1842 Source: Gen UKIOXFORDSHIRE, an inland county, bounded on the south-west, south,and south-east by Berkshire; on the east by Buckinghamshire; on the north-east by Northamptonshire; on the north and north-west by Warwickshire; and on the west by Gloucestershire. It extends from 51, 28 to 52, 9 (N.Lat.), and,i n its greatest breadth, which is a little north of the centre of thecounty, from 1,2 to 1, 38 (W. Lon.), and comprises an area of seven hundred and fifty-two square miles, or about four hundred and eighty-one thousand two hundred and eighty acres. The population, in 1821,was 136,971.At the period of the Roman invasion, this county formed part of the territory of the Dobuni, who, desirous of releasing themselves from subjection to their eastern neighbours, the Cattieuchlani,offered noresistance to the Romans, who, on their first division of the island,included it in Britannia Prima. Its central situation retard edits final subjection to the Saxon dominion, until the latter part of the sixth century. It had been the scene of several sanguinary conflicts between the Saxons and the retiring Britons, and became that of several others between the sovereigns of Wessex and Mercia.

In the year 778, this county, being ceded by Cynewulf, King of Wessex, to Offa, King of Mercia, the latter made a wide and deep trench, as a boundary between the two kingdoms,which may still be traced at Ardley, Middleton-Stoney, Northbrook, Heyford, and Kirtlington.
In 917, the Anglo-Saxons were defeated with great slaughter by the Danes, at Hook-Norton, who burned the town of Oxford three several times, in the years 979, 1003, and 1009, and plundered that of Thame, in1010.

In the early progress of the Norman Conquest, Oxford was stormed and burned by the Conqueror. In 1142, the Empress Matilda was besieged in thec astle of that place by King Stephen, for three months, until the river being frozen, and the ground covered with snow, she, accompanied by three knights, all dressed in white, passed the sentinels unobserved, crossed the river, and proceeded on foot to Abingdon, whence she took horse, and arrived safely at Wallingford.

In 1264, Oxford was taken from the barons by Henry III.

In 1387, at Radford bridge, between this county and Berkshire, Thomas de Vere, Marquis of Dublin and Earl of Oxford, was defeated by Thomas of Woodstock, Duke of Gloucester, and Henry, Earl of Derby, afterwards HenryIV., when the marquis with difficulty saved his life by swimming across the Isis. In 1469, at Danesmoor, near Banbury, on July 26th, theYorkists, under the Earl of Pembroke, were defeated by Sir John Conyers, when six thousand [p.495] five hundred men were slain, and the earl made prisoner.

One of the earliest transactions relating to the great war occurred on Chalgrove Field, in this county, on the 15th of August, 1642, when the celebrated John Hampden appeared in arms, to enforce the ordinance of the militia. Such of the other events connected with that memorable contest as relate especially to this county may be thus briefly recounted.

On the 14th of September, 1642, Sir John Byron, having taken possession of Oxford for the king, was driven from it by Lord Say and Sele.
On the 27thof October, four days after the battle of Edge-Hill, Banbury castle, in which was agarrison of eight hundred foot and a troop of horse, and Broughton castle, surrendered to the king, who the next day entered Oxford, whence he marched to Brentford, and after the battle there, returned with his prisoners toOxford, on the 28th of November.

At Oxford, in April 1643, the twelve commissioners from the parliament waited on the king with proposals of peace, which negociation was broken off on the 15th of the samemonth; and on the 25th, at Caversham bridge, between this county and Berkshire, Ruthven, Earl of Forth, with the van of the king's army, was repulsed by Lord Robarts, in an attempt to relieve Reading, which surrendered on the following day to the Earl of Essex.

In the night of June 17th, detachments from the army under the Earl of Essex were attacked at Wycombeand Postcombe, by Prince Rupert, who, on his return, with many prisoners and much booty, was overtaken the following morning on Chalgrove Field, but after a smart skirmish, the parliamentarians were repulsed, Colonel John Hampden was mortally wounded, and the prince returned in triumph to Oxford.

On the lst of August the king left Oxford for Bristol, but returned on the16th; on the 18th he proceeded to the unsuccessful siege of Gloucester; and on September 23rd, three days after the battle of Newbury, he again returned to Oxford. That city having been now for some time the head-quarters of the royalists, to supply its garrison with provisions became a heavy burden up on the county:
on the 15th of April, 1644, a royal proclamation wa sissued to the inhabitants of the counties of Oxford and Berks, requiring them to bringin supplies for the garrison, on pain of being visited with fireand sword :this produced a declaration from both houses of parliament, dated the 22nd of the same month, expressing their horror at the proclamation, and their determination to hazard their lives and fortunes to prevent its being carried into effect. Vigorous operations were accordingly commenced, with a view to the reduction of Oxford, and that city being nearly surrounded by two numerous detachments of the parliamentarian army, under theEarl of Essex and Sir William Waller, the king, in the night of June3rd, effected his escape, and proceeded to Worcester, upon which the enemy relinquished their intention of besieging Oxford. At Cropredy bridge, on the30th of June, an indecisive action took place beween the king and Sir WilliamWaller. The garrison of Banbury, commanded by Sir William Compton, was besieged by the parliament's troops, under Colonel Fiennes, who, on October 25th, was compelled, by the Earl of Northampton, to raise the siege.November 27th, the king returned to Oxford.

On the 24th of April, 1645, near I slip bridge, four regiments of the royal horse were routed by Cromwell, whoon the same day took Blechingdon house without resistance, for which surrender its governor, Colonel Windebank, was shot at Oxford on the 3rd ofMay.
The king left Oxford on May 7th, and Fairfax laid siege to it on the 22nd; but the siege was raised on the 7th of June, and the king again returned thither, on the 27th of August.

On the 30th he departed for Hereford, and on November 6th he once more came to Oxford, where he passed the winter.
April 26th, 1646, Woodstock manor-house, after avigorous defence, surrendered to the parliamentarian forces; and the next day the king left Oxford to surrender himself to the Scottish army besieging Newark.

May 8th, the garrison in Banbury castle, after an heroic defence for ten weeks, capitulated on honourable terms to Colonel Whalley; and on the 24th of June, Oxford, which had been besieged by Fairfax since May 2nd, surrendered at the king's command.
At the time of the rebellion of 1715,s everal partizans of the Stuart family were seized at Oxford.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Compton, Sir William
Third son of Spencer, Earl of Northampton, a Privy Councillor and Mater of the Ordnance, ob. 1663, aged 39. When only eighteen years of age, he had charged with his gallant father at the battle of Edgehill. His mother was first cousin to George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, and to John Ashburnham; and his great uncle, Sir Thomas Compton, had been the third husband of the Duke’s mother, Mary, Countess of Buckingham.











More About William (Weilleum) Compton:
Occupation: Royalist Commander.

More About William (Weilleum) Compton and <Unnamed>:
Marriage: Abt. 1662

Children of William (Weilleum) Compton are:
  1. +William Henry Compton, b. Bet. 1644 - 1645, Long Island, New York, d. 1709, Middleton, Monmouth County, New Jersey.
Created with Family Tree Maker


Home | Help | About Us | Biography.com | HistoryChannel.com | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009 Ancestry.com