Family Tree Maker Online
Navigation Bar
Prev Page Prev Item Contents Index Go to Page Home Page Next Item Next Page

Page 53 of 129

Descendants of Alexander Campbell

Generation No. 3

      21. James (Big Jimmie)3 Campbell (Robert2, Alexander1) was born 15 February 1759 in Augusta County VA, and died 08 April 1844 in Knox County TN. He married Janet (Jane) Allison 06 October 1779 in Washington County NC. She was born Abt. 1759, and died Aft. 1850 in Knox County TN.
Children of James Campbell and Janet Allison are:
  41 i.   John4 Campbell. He married Jane Reed 04 June 1812 in Knox County TN.
  42 ii.   Robert Campbell. He married Elizabeth (Betsy) Gamble 26 August 1811 in Knox County TN.
  43 iii.   William Campbell.
  44 iv.   Ann (Nancy) Campbell, born 27 August 1788.
  45 v.   James Campbell, born 07 May 1790 in Knox County TN; died 17 May 1847 in Lamar County TX. He married Mary Stewart Abt. 1816; born 04 March 1793; died 1857.
  46 vi.   Alexander Campbell, born 1797; died Aft. 1850. He married Lucinda Wells 05 January 1825 in Knox County TN; born 1800.

      22. Alexander (Captain Alexander)3 Campbell (Robert2, Alexander1) was born Abt. 1760 in Augusta County VA, and died 07 September 1816 in Knox County TN. He married Mary Lockhart 1781, daughter of William Lockhart and Mary Campbell. She was born 12 March 1766, and died 12 March 1842 in Knox County TN.
Children of Alexander Campbell and Mary Lockhart are:
  47 i.   Margaret4 Campbell, born 1783; died Aft. 1816. She married (1) William Dowler 1806; died 1814. She married (2) Solomon McCampbell 28 November 1815; died 1845 in Alabama.
  48 ii.   William Campbell, born 29 October 1785 in Greene County NC; died 15 February 1828 in Knox County TN. He married Elizabeth (Betesy) Goddard 20 July 1815; born 06 June 1792; died 11 May 1864.
  49 iii.   Mary Campbell, born 1788; died Bef. 1850. She married John Hunter 19 April 1806.
  50 iv.   Jane Campbell, born 1790; died 05 November 1830. She married William Goddard; born 1788; died September 1836.
  51 v.   Elizabeth (Betsey) Lockhart Campbell, born 07 November 1792 in Knox County TN; died 16 July 1871 in Strawberry Plains TN. She married Daniel Meek 11 March 1813; born 20 March 1792; died 20 August 1860.
  52 vi.   James Campbell, born 06 June 1796 in Knox County TN; died 25 May 1879 in Knox County TN. He married (1) Penelope (Patsey) Hazelwood 09 October 1822 in Knox County TN; died Abt. 1824. He married (2) Charlotte Dardis 11 August 1825; born 1800; died 23 April 1870.
  53 vii.   Ann Campbell, born 1799 in Knox County TN; died 28 October 1856. She married John Goddard 25 January 1820; died 11 July 1826 in Tuscumbia Alabama.
  54 viii.   Cynthia H. Campbell, born 1800; died 20 October 1875 in Knox County TN. She married Thomas (Colonel Thomas) Rogers 11 June 1823; died 22 December 1870 in Knox County TN.
  55 ix.   John Campbell, born 1804 in Knox County TN; died May 1876 in Cherekee County AL. He married Elizabeth Armstrong 29 June 1829 in Knox County TN; born 05 April 1811 in Knox County TN; died 1865 in Birmingham AL.
  56 x.   Harriet Campbell, born 12 March 1806 in Knox County TN; died 27 July 1827 in New Market TN. She married (1) Alexander Blackburn; died 1846. She married (2) Henry H. Peck 05 September 1850.

      23. David (Elder David)3 Campbell (Robert2, Alexander1) was born August 1762 in Augusta County VA, and died 1813 in Knox County TN. He married Janet (Jean) Lockhart 11 December 1785 in Greene County TN, daughter of William Lockhart and Mary Campbell. She was born Abt. 1768 in Virginia, and died 17 January 1842 in Knox County TN.
Children of David Campbell and Janet Lockhart are:
  57 i.   William Lockhart4 Campbell, born 28 October 1786 in Greene County NC.
  58 ii.   Alexander Campbell, born 09 April 1789; died 17 October 1845. He married Mary W. Strain 18 October 1809 in Knox County TN; born 1788; died 1855.
  59 iii.   Mary L. Campbell, born 23 April 1791.
  60 iv.   Margaret M. Campbell, born 07 April 1793. She married Robert Perry 02 October 1835 in Knox County TN.
  61 v.   James (Little Jimmy) Campbell, born 21 June 1795 in Knox County TN; died 12 October 1876 in Texas. He married Sarah Smith 20 March 1824 in Knox County TN; born 08 January 1806; died 13 August 1874 in Texas.
  62 vi.   Jane (Jeanie) Campbell, born 15 November 1797 in Knox County TN. She married Dimeon Lane 25 July 1815 in Knox County TN.
  63 vii.   David Campbell, born 01 January 1800. He married Jane Smith 04 December 1823 in Knox County TN.
  64 viii.   Elizabeth (Betsy) Campbell, born 27 June 1802 in Knox County TN; died Aft. 1870 in Bradley County TN. She married John W. Wilson 01 August 1820 in Blount County TN; born 14 August 1797 in Greene County TN; died Abt. 1859 in Bradley County TN.
  65 ix.   John Steele Campbell, born 23 May 1808 in Knox County TN; died 20 July 1897 in Knox County TN. He married (1) Nancy Smith 07 February 1828 in Knox County TN; born 14 November 1807; died 08 July 1856 in Knox County TN. He married (2) Elizabeth Jane Henry August 1860 in Knox County TN; born 25 August 1828 in Blount County TN; died 27 December 1897 in Knox County TN.

      24. John R.3 Campbell (Robert2, Alexander1) was born Abt. 1772 in Augusta County VA, and died 07 October 1847 in Mount Sterling KY. He married Margaret F. Self Abt. 1800 in KY. She was born Abt. 1782.

Notes for John R. Campbell:
[Campbell Family.FTW]

John R. Campbell seems to have been the son of Robert Campbell, the brother of Black David Campbell (d. 1753) of Augusta County, Virginia. One of John's sons was James Morrison Campbell. The life of James Morrison Campbell is sketched in the "History of McDonough County, Illinois" (published 1885), at pages 277-278. That book, although containing several errors pertaining to James's father and grandfather [see my comments in brackets], provides some valuable information as follows:

"James Morrison Campbell, the oldest settler in Macomb, still living there, is a native of Frankfort, Kentucky, and was born August 22, 1803. His parents were John R. and Margaret F. (Self) Campbell. His grandfather, Robert Campbell, came to this country from Argyleshire, Scotland in 1773 [Comment: Based on my research, I believe that the year 1743 is more likely the correct date], and when two years later, war with England commenced, he took up arms against the mother country. Robert Campbell settled in Virginia where both parents of james were born. They moved to Kentucky, about the beginning of this century [Comment: Based on my research, I believe the year they moved to KY was 1784) and when the son was about four years old, the family moved from Frankfort to Mecklenburg county [Comment: Based upon my research, this shold be Muhlenburg county], where they remained about two years.

"In 1809, John R. Campbell, who was a blacksmith by trade, came into this state and settled at Shawneetown, and while there in 1812 and two years subsequently, was a lieutenant of rangers [Comment: Some sources state that John was a Lieutenant of the regular forces], fighting against the Indians, whom the British had instigated to raise the war hoop. When peace was declared Lieutenant Campbell did not return immediately, and his wife supposing him to be dead, returned with her little family of three children to the old home in Frankfort. To her joy her husband soon joined her."

The reason John did not immediately return to his family is that he was seriously wounded in the Battle of Campbell's Island. This battle took place on 10 July 1814, on an island in the Mississippi River, near the modern city of East Moline, Illinois. The location is close to the point where the Rock River flows into the Mississippi. The following are three versions of that battle:


Probably the best and most accurate account of the battle was the one published in the Missouri Gazette on 30 July 1814. The newspaper account has been preseved by Frank E. Stevens in his book "The Blackhawk War" (published 1903), pages 48-49. The following is extracted from that account:

" ... It was thought proper by Brigadier-General Howard ... to send a force to relieve the volunteers ... For this purpose, Lieut. John Campbell of the first regulars, acting as brigade major, was entrusted with the command of 42 regulars and 65 rangers, in three keel boats ... The whole party, including boatmen and women, amounting to about 133, reached Rock River ... without any accident. As soon as they entered the rapids they were vissited by hundreds of Sacs and Foxes ... The officers, being unacquainted with Indian manners, imagined the savages to be friendly; to this fatal security may be attributed the catastrophe which followed. ... the rangers in two barges ... had proceeded two miles in advance of the commander's barge; the latter inclined to the east side in search of the main channel, and being now on a lee shore, proceeded with much difficulty, and as the gale increased were drifted into shoal water within a few yards of a high bank covered with grass, waist high; a few steps from the bow and stern an umbrage of willows set out from the shore.

"In this position the commanding officer thought proper to remain until the wind abated; sentries were placed at proper intervals, and the men were occupied in cooking, when the report of several guns announced an attack. At the first fire all the sentries were killed, and before those on shore could reach the barge, 10 or 15 out of 30 were killed and wounded. At this time the force and intentions of the Indians were fully developed. On each shore the savages were observed in quick motion; some in canoes crossing to the battleground; others were observed running from above and below to the scene of attack; in a few minutes from five to seven hundred were assembled on the bank and among the willows within a few yards of the bow and stern of the barge; the Indians gave the whoop, and commenced a tremendous fire; the brave men in the barge cheered, and returned the fire from a swivel and small arms. At this critical juncture, Lieuts. Riggs and Rector of the rangers, who commanded the two barges ahead, did not hear the guns, but saw the smoke and concluding an attack was made, dropped down. Rigg's boat stranded about 100 yards below Campbell's, and rector, to avoid a like misfortune amd preserve himself from a raking fire, anchored above; both barges opened a brisk fire on the Indians, but as the enemy fired from cover, it is thought little execution was done.

"About one hour was spent in this unequal contest, when Campbell's barge was discovered on fire, to relieve which Rector cut his cable and fell to windward of him and took out the survivors. Finding he could not assist Riggs, having a number of wounded on board, and in danger of renning on a lee shore, he made the best of his way to this place, where he arrived on Sunday evenging last.

"There were 3 regulars killed and 14 wounded; 2 died on their passage to this place; 1 ranger killed and four wounded on board Lieut. Rector's barge. Brig. Maj. Campbell and Dr. Stewart are severely wounded. Two women and a child were severely wounded -- one of the women and a child are since dead. ... "


The following is a quotation from the book entitled "That Disgraceful Affair, the Black Hawk War," by Cecil Eby (published 1973), pages 58-60. The reference concerns the "Dog Prairie Campaign of Governor William Clark of Missouri Territory, which took place during the War of 1812, in July 1813. It should be noted that Mr. Eby is an ardent supporter of the Indian version of events, hence his account is definitely slanted in that direction and against the conduct of Lieutenant John R. Campbell.

" ... Collecting forty regulars and sixty-odd rangers, he put them under the command of Lieutenant John Campbell, who set off from Shallow Water on July 4. ... On the evening before the surrender of [the American] Fort Shelby [20 July 1813], Lieutenant Campbell's force, in three keelboats, reached the mouth of the Rock River, nearly two hundred miles south of Prairie du Chien. Invited ashore by the Sauk, who had not yet heard of the British presence far upriver, the Americans "used and gave us, plenty of whiskey," Black Hawk later reported. After the Chemokemons had returned to their boats for the night, a messenger reached Saukenuk bring news of the fight at Prairie du Chien--and a gift of six kegs of powder so that the Sauk could join battle. After a year of peace, Black Hawk entered the war again.

"Throughout the following day parties of Sauk and Fox stalked the keelboats from the dense willow undergrowth along the Illinois shore, waiting for an opportunity to strike. After a day of hard poling, and two nights of hard likkering, the Campbell flotilla had gotten above the rapids north of Rock Island. On the following morning, July 21, most of the Americans were under the weather, in more than one sense. Gale winds blew up from the west and dispersed the keelboats; Campbell dropped far astern. The boat went hard aground on a boggy island bristling with Indians who opened fire at point-blank range from behind a screen of underbrush. Black Hawk himself set the sail on fire with a flaming arrow. Because of the wind, the other keelboats heard no shots; but when Lieutenant Stephen Rector saw smoke billowing over the island behind him, he returned, dropped anchor, and swung in close to the burning boat. In attempting the same maneuver, Lieutenant Johnathan Riggs, in the third keelboat, dragged anchor and went ashore a hundred yards below Campbell.

"To provide cover, Rector raked the thicket with his swivel gun and took off the still able-bodied of campbell's men, leaving the dead and the seriously wounded on the burning craft. Campbell himself, who subsequently confessed that he was ill--that is to say, drunk--during the fight, was badly wounded as he was being hoisted aboard Rector's boat. [see note below] Cutting his cable, Rector then promptly headed for St. Louis under oar, leaving Riggs to fend for himself. Riggs waited, playing possum, before opening fire when the Indians rushed his boat en masse. The attackers fell back with two dead (one of them a squaw)--the only American kills of the encounter. Later Riggs men pushed the boat off and returned to St. Louis, much to the surprise of Rector, who had reported the keelboat destroyed. ... All told, the Americans lost sixteen dead and twenty wounded at Campbell's Island."

Footnote to the above --"While a fearless giant of a man, Lieutenant Campbell was nontheless a notorious drunkard. For many years afterward the "Hero of Campbell's Island" was a featured exhibit in many a Missouri grogshop. Today the site of the battle, surrounded by trailers and shanties on Campbell's Island in East Moline, is marked by a commemorative stone and plaque, making no mention of the besotted condition of the lieutenant or his crew."


Chief Blackhawk, the leader of the Indian forces at the Battle of Campbell's Island, dictated his autobiography to a U. S. Government Interpreter in 1833. That document contains Blackhawk's recollections of the battle as follows:

" ... five or six boats arrived, loaded with soldiers, going to Praire du Chien, to reinforce the garrison. They appeared friendly, and were well received. We held a council with the war chief [Campbell]. We had no intention of hurting him, or any of his party, or we could have easily defeated them. They remained with us all day, and gave us plenty of whiskey! During the night a party arrived (who came down the Rock river), and brought us six kegs of powder! They told us that the British had gone to Prairie du Chien, and taken the fort, and wished to join them again in the war, which we agreed to. I collected my warriors, and determined to pursue the boats, which had sailed wiyh a fair wind. If we had known the day before, we could easily taken them all, as the war chief used no precautions to prevent it. I immediately started with my party, by land, in pursuit - thinking that some of there boats might get aground, or that the Great Spirit would put them in our power, if he wished them taken, and their people killed. ... I soon discovered ... one boat ... driven asore by the wind. They landed, by running hard aground, and lowered their sail. The others passed on. This boat the great Spirit gave us! We approached cautiously, and fired upon the men on shore. All that could, hurried aboard, but they were unable to push off, being fast aground. We advanced to the river's bank, under cover, and commenced firing at the boat. ... I prepared my bow and arrows to throw fire to the sail, ... succeeded in setting the sail on fire.

"The boat was soon in flames! About this time, one of the boats that had passed, returned, dropped anchor, and swung in close to the boat on fire, and took off all the people, except those killed and badly wounded. We could distinctly see them passing from one boat to the other, and fired on them with good aim. We wounded the war chief [Campbell] in this way! Another boat now came down, dropped her anchor, which did not take hold, and was drifted ashore! The other boat cut her cable and rowed down the river, leaving their comrades without attempting to assist them. We then commenced an attack on this boat, and fired several rounds. They did not return the fire. We thought they were afraid, or had but a small number on board. I therefore ordered a rush to the boat. When we got near, they fired, and killed two of our people, being all that we had lost in the engagement. Some of their men jumped out and pushed off the boat, and thus got away without losing a man! I had a good opinion of this war chief - he managed so much better than the others. It would give me pleasure to shake him by the hand."

Children of John Campbell and Margaret Self are:
  66 i.   John4 Campbell, born Abt. 1811 in Shawneetown IL; died 06 October 1844 in Mount Sterling KY.
  67 ii.   Ann Campbell, born Abt. 1825 in KY; died 23 October 1846 in Lexington KY.

      25. Margaret3 Campbell (Robert2, Alexander1) was born 28 November 1774, and died 04 October 1853 in Calloway County MO. She married David Campbell Abt. 1792 in Fayette County KY, son of William Campbell and Mary Ellison. He was born October 1772 in Botetourt County VA, and died 1838 in Callaway County MO.

Notes for David Campbell:
[Campbell Family.FTW]


David Campbell of Muhlenberg County, Kentucky was born in the year 1772, in what was then Botetourt County, in that part of Southwest Virginia lying on the South Fork of the Holston River. He was the eldest son of Captain William Campbell (1748-1800) and Mary Elizabeth Ellison (1755-1825).

Margaret Campbell, Wife of David Campbell:

David's wife, Margaret Campbell (1774-1853), was the daughter of David's great-uncle, Robert Campbell. William Campbell of Santa Clara tell us the following concerning his mother:

"Mother's father was an uncle to grandfather on father's side. Mother was by a second marriage. Her mother's name was Margaret Killpateric."

Margaret Campbell Pilcher states the following concerning David Campbell and his wife:

"David Campbell married Mary Campbell. They had three children: William, David and Margaret Campbell."

Although Mrs. Pilcher states that her first name was Mary, every document, which I have been able to find, refers to her as "Margaret." It is possible that her full name was Mary Margaret Campbell, she being called by her middle name. David probably married her in Fayette County, Kentucky about the year 1792.

Although, Mrs. Pilcher mentions only three names, David and Margaret actually had thirteen children. David's eldest son, William Campbell (1793-1885) of Santa Clara, tells us the names of these children:

"Father's family: I am the oldest, and was born the 12th of November 1793; John; Rice; Jane; Charles; David and Margaret (twins); Betsey; Mary; James; Robert; Ann, who died at 2 years of age; and Thomas - thirteen in all. Rice and David died in 1821. Jane died in [18]53 in Illinois; James died in Oregon; Robert and Charles died in California."

Emigration to Muhlenberg County, Kentucky:

About the year 1803, three years after the death of his father, Captain William Campbell, David and his family removed to Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. In 1805, David's widowed mother, Elizabeth, and most of his brothers and sisters also moved to Muhlenberg County. David spent most of his life in Muhlenberg and operated a tannery at the County Seat, the town of Greenville. David also owned farms, on Elk Pond and Cypress Creeks, in the southern part of the county. The following map shows the general area where David resided.

In April 1808 David Campbell was commissioned a Justice of the Peace for Muhlenberg County, by Kentucky Governor Christopher Greenup. In 1810, David was appointed a trustee of Greenville Academy, a school located in the town of Greenville, established by an Act of the Kentucky Legislature, dated 18 January 1810. In June 1811, David Campbell was commissioned Assistant Judge of the Circuit Court by Kentucky Governor Charles Scott.

Emigration to Callaway County, Missouri:

Late in life, about the year 1831, David Campbell emigrated to Callaway County, Missouri with his wife Margaret, daughter Margaret and at least three of his sons (James, Robert and Thomas). Shortly after the Campbells arrived in Callaway County, David's daughter Margaret married Reverend Abraham Norfleet, on 16 August 1832. David Campbell died testate in Callaway County in about the year 1838. His will, dated 20 February 1836, with codicil dated 20 June 1836, was probated in Callaway County, Missouri on 6 June 1838.

Children of Margaret Campbell and David Campbell are:
  68 i.   Elizabeth ("Betsy")4 Campbell. She married William R. Givins 12 November 1829 in Muhlenberg County KY.
+ 69 ii.   William Campbell, born 12 November 1793 in Fayette County KY; died 12 December 1885 in Tulare County CA.
+ 70 iii.   Jane Campbell, born 19 January 1799 in Fayette County KY; died 29 August 1861 in Linn County KS.
  71 iv.   David Campbell, born 21 April 1803 in Green County Ky; died 1821 in Muhlenberg County KY.
+ 72 v.   Margaret Campbell, born 21 April 1803 in Green County KY; died 03 September 1872 in Cole County MO.
+ 73 vi.   James Campbell, born 06 April 1807 in Muhlenberg County KY; died 29 July 1873 in Salem OR.
+ 74 vii.   Thomas Campbell, born 1816 in Kentucky.
  75 viii.   Charles Campbell.
  Notes for Charles Campbell:

Charles Campbell was a younger brother of William Campbell of Santa Clara CA. In 1839 he apparently was living in Hopkins County, Kentucky. Unfortunately, I know virtually nothing about his life. Charles Campbell also migrated to California; however, I don't know if he went with his brothers in 1846 or came out later.

Charles was in California by 1851 as he is mentioned in a letter written by his nephew, David Lee Campbell (son of David McCord Campbell and Jane Campbell) in that year.

Page 53 of 129

Prev Page Prev Item Contents Index Go to Page Home Page Next Item Next Page

Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009