Starting Sept. 30, 2014, Genealogy.com will be making a big change. GenForum message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
 
Learn more


Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals |InterneTree |Sources


View Tree for Charles Kellogg, (The Hon.)Charles Kellogg, (The Hon.) (b. Oct 03, 1773, d. May 11, 1842)

Charles Kellogg, (The Hon.) was born Oct 03, 1773 in Sheffield, Berkshire County, MA, and died May 11, 1842 in Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, MI.

 Includes NotesNotes for Charles Kellogg, (The Hon.):
In 1798, Charles and Mary Ann settled in that part of Sempronius, [later re-named Niles] Cayuga County, New York and founded what is now [1858] known as Kelloggsville; resided there about forty years, then removed to Ann Arbor, Michigan in 1839.

* * *

He was a farmer, and for many years a merchant also; was much in public life, having been a member of the New York Legislature, four years; a representative in Congress [Representative from New York in the 19th U. S. Congress, March 4, 1825 to March 3, 1827], two years; and for several years a judge of the county courts, besides serving many years in minor offices. In his public employments he secured the confidence and esteem of the people.

Through life he maintained a consistent religious character, and left an unsullied name and many excellent examples, a precious legacy to his descendants. Had six sons and five daughters.

The Kelloggs are of Scotch descent, and they trace an interesting and honorable genealogy.

Born in Sheffield, Massachusetts, at the age of 14 [in 1787], he removed to Galway, Saratoga County, New York, where his father had settled as a pioneer seven years before [1780]. At 21, he married Mary Ann Otis, a descendant of the Pilgrims, and two years after [in 1746], with their eldest son, then an infant, and with an outfit but little more than willing hands and stout hearts Mr. and Mrs. Kellogg sought a new home in central New York. Their conveyance was a sled and oxen; their road was through woods which they had to open some portions of the way; and after a fatiguing journey of fifteen days, they arrived at their first home in Marcellus [in 1796], on the western shore of Skaneateles Lake. They erected a log cabin, made a clearing in the forest, remained one year, sold their improvements to a wealthier immigrant, and [in 1797] purchased a second home in Aurelius, (now Owasco,) resided there two years, again sold out, and in the autumn of 1799 removed to the third forest farm, in Sempronius (now Niles), where they resided forty years. Also operated a gristmill at New Hope, New York.

* * *

[On November 23, 1994, the writer visited both the farmhouse on the Old Salt Road [the main street] in Kelloggsville and the gristmill in nearby New Hope. The house, now privately owned and beautifully maintained [see below], has historical markers about Charles Kellogg. One of these markers states,

"Home of Charles Kellogg 1804-1838 ... Millard Fillmore {1800-1874; 13th U. S. President, 1850-1853} and Family visited here"

[NOTE: This visit may not really be quite as remarkable as it seems.

Millard Fillmore was born on January 7, 1800 a few miles east of Moravia, NY, near Summerhill. His family later lived in New Hope -- the adjacent town to Kelloggsville -- from 1802 to 1818 where Charles' mill still stands; of which more below. Further, Millard and Charles both had political careers in New York State and Washington, D.C., so one suspects that they had known one another for years, Thus, such visits may have been more the routine activities of friendly neighbors of long standing and with common interests than great occasions of state. See Source "H" for further information.]

[ADDITIONAL NOTE: The house in Kelloggsville, is now [May 1999] owned by Dr. and Mrs. Alfred R. Jamison, 21667 West Lake Road, Skaneateles, NY 13152, telephone: 315-685-6791. Their home is actually in Mandana; nearer to Kelloggsville.

Through the efforts of the Town Clerks of Moravia and Niles, I learned of this, and have since established contact with the Jamisons. We have plans to meet them and visit the house to do photography inside and out at some mutually convenient time; probably in the Spring of 2000. In the exchange of correspondence with Katherine Albanese, Niles Town Clerk, she as well as Dr. & Mrs. Jamison were given copies of the 20-page Charles Kellogg Family Group Sheet telling of the Charles Kellogg family and its 11 children that the Jamisons apparently found to be quite interesting.]

The gristmill still [1998] remains in operation after 175 years! More follows below.

New Hope is on Route 41-A, about 2 miles northeast of Kelloggsville. Both of these towns are, in 1994, small hamlets; seemingly unchanged since the mid-1800's. The mill itself is a hundred yards or so east of route 41-A on Glen Haven Road on Bear Swamp Creek.

Kelloggsville is between New York Routes 38-A and 41-A and about halfway between Auburn (to the north) and Cortland, New York (to the south) and between Owasco Lake (to the west) and Skaneateles Lake (to the east). These are two of the Finger Lakes and the land between them is divided into farmland and wooded areas. It is moderately hilly, delightful and open country.

* * *

Quoting from an undated write up distributed at the mill, "New Hope Mills, Inc., has produced flour for over 160 years {171 years as of 1994} to earn its distinction as one of America's oldest continually operating flour mills.

The flour mill was built in 1823 by Judge Kellogg...and operated by the family...until it was sold to Horace Rounds in 1851. It remained in the Rounds family until 1947, when it was sold to Howard Weed, Hubert Latta and Leland Weed and became New Hope Mills. Leland Weed became sole owner in 1953. Today, the mill is owned by two of his sons, Dale and David Weed.

This mill and a saw mill a short distance upstream are known as New Hope Mills, Inc. There were 15 water powered industries along the banks of Bear Swamp Creek in the 1850's. Now only these two mills remain in operation as a tribute to New Hope Mills' unique past. The gristmill is powered by a 26 foot waterfall.

Local history contends that the community of New Hope was given its name from the top of its new flour mill in 1823. After the mill's forty foot, five-sided ridge pole was put in place, a man climbed to the top and threw a gallon jug of whiskey over his shoulder declaring the town of Sodom to be renamed New Hope.

...New Hope Mills continues to operate much the same as it did in the 1800's. The quality of the product remains a prominent goal. Any product that is made...is free from all chemical additives and artificial enrichments...making New Hope Mills Pancake Mixes the number one pancake flour in central New York".

A variety of pancake mixes and other flours, including gift packages, are available for shipment anywhere in the 50 states by the mill. Contact: NEW HOPE MILLS, INC., Route 41-A, New Hope, RD #2, Box 269A, Moravia, NY; Phone: (315) 497-0783; Fax (315) 497-0810.]

* * *

These changes enabled them at each remove to enlarge their possessions, and at this home, for many years known as Kelloggsville, their family history chiefly transpired. Before the new farm was fully cleared, Mr. Kellogg added merchandising to farming, and acquired a moderate fortune.

The writer of this (D.K.L., Auburn, New York, Oct., 8, 1857.) remembers when the farmers of Sempronius drew their grain on sleighs to Albany and returned with goods for Mr. Kellogg's store. He was the second justice of the peace appointed in that town, and was supervisor for several years. In 1808 he was elected to the State Assembly, and received a re-election the following year. He subsequently held the office of judge for the county courts. In 1812 the village post-office was established, and he was the first postmaster (appointed July 1, 1814, and served until September 6, 1825), while his own name was given by the Postmaster General to the office, and since then the village has been called Kelloggsville. In 1821 and 1822, he again represented Cayuga County in the Assembly; and in 1824 he was elected to the Nineteenth Congress (March 4, 1825 - March 3, 1827), and took his seat in December 1825 -- the first Congress under Mr. Adam's administration. In all his services as a legislator, he was more a man of deeds than words, and held a high position as a man of eminent justice and practical common sense. In all his offices, and in all his life, he secured the highest confidence and warmest esteem of the public.

[SPECIAL NOTE: John Quincy Adams, sixth President of the United States, took office on Friday, March 4, 1825. His father, John Adams, was the second President of the United States. It seems possible that Charles Kellogg's son, John Quincy Kellogg may have been so named in honor of the second Mr. Adams. Source of the John Quincy Adams information: David McCullough, "John Adams," Simon & Schuster, New York, London, Toronto, Sydney, Singapore, 2001, page 640.]

Returning from Congress, he gave his chief attention to his farm for the next ten years, and then sold the old homestead and removed to Ann Arbor, Michigan [about 1839]; where four of his children were settled. He died in May, 1842, aged 68, leaving the example of as fine and as happy a Christian manhood as one often sees on earth. Mrs. Kellogg, who was in all respects worthy of such a husband, survived him only two and a half years.

They had eleven children, six sons and five daughters....

The sons are, all but one, engaged in mercantile pursuits, and a more capable family of merchants I have seldom found. The daughters are not behind their brothers in mind or heart, while their marriage connections are excellent. The eldest son, Day Otis, has been a member of the State Assembly, Mayor of Troy, Paymaster General of New York State Militia, and U. S. Consul at Glasgow, Scotland; all to which offices he gave character and honor. The youngest daughter, Frances, resided for a time with her husband on a Consulship in Switzerland.

This excellent family were never all together but twice in their lives. In 1836, they all met for the first time in the old homestead at Kelloggsville, when their father and mother blessed them. Their second reunion was last week (September 29, 1857, a Tuesday).... see photo in file of this family and more information in source "B" below.

[Relative to having met "but twice in their lives," there was apparently a third meeting on July 6, 1859 [a Wednesday] in Kelloggsville, New York.

David R. Oakley has the original, handwritten copy of a seven-page poem composed and read at that gathering by John Q. Kellogg, David's adoptive great grandfather. Its contents appear in the notes herein about John Q. Kellogg.]

* * *

Respecting Charles' activities in Ann Arbor, Ms. Susan Wineberg, Vice President, Washtenaw County Historical Society, on May 6, 1994, provided a copy of the following advertisement which appeared under the caption UTICA ENTERPRISE:

"IRON STORE -- The subscriber has on hand at his store nearly opposite the Washtenaw House, a well selected assortment of Iron and Steel, Nails, Tin, a few dry Groceries, domestic Cashmere, Sheetings, Shirtings &c. Files and Rasps (superior articles.) all of which he will sell for prompt pay remarkably low.

CHARLES KELLOGG, Ann Arbor (Lower Village) November 20th, 1839."


Obituary:

"DIED, in this village [Ann Arbor, Michigan] on the 11th instant, of Pleurisy, Hon. CHARLES KELLOGG, formerly of Kelloggsville, Cayuga County, New York, in the 69th year of his age.

Few men have passed through life with a more unblemished reputation than the subject of this notice. Brought up a farmer, he early turned his attention to that pursuit of business for a living; with no capital but an enterprising and industrious spirit, he left the home of his parents in Saratoga County, New York, and settled in Cayuga County in the same State.

Here he remained on the same tract of land, for nearly forty years, laboriously engaged, and realizing as the fruits of his perseverance and toil, a comfortable provision for his numerous family. A man of sound judgment and sterling integrity, his fellow-citizens frequently manifested their confidence in him, by their election of him to important offices.

For many years he was Judge of the court for the county of Cayuga, a member of the New York Legislature, and a member of Congress, discharging his duties most faithfully and conscientiously, and rendering himself universally respected by those who knew him. For the last four years he has been a resident of Ann Arbor, where as an upright man, and a meek and devoted Christian, he has left a name that will not soon be forgotten. He was for many years a vestryman and communicant of the Episcopal Church, and his 'prayers and alms,' in which he abounded, have 'gone up,' it is not doubted, 'as a memorial before God.' To these, however, he trusted not for acceptance, but to the merits of the Divine Savior. The father of eleven children, these with an affectionate wife to whom he had been wedded for nearly a half a century, are left to mourn, to them indeed a most severe loss, but yet comforted and cheered by the whole, their father and head 'has a building of God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.'

Judge Kellogg was the father of Day Otis and Charles H. Kellogg of this city."

Sources:

A. New England Genealogical Register, July 1858; Genealogical Items of the Kellogg Family, reprint, pgs. 4 and 6.

B. "Family Meeting of the Descendents of Charles Kellogg -- reprinted as above.

C. Biographical Directory of the American Congress, 1774-1949.

D. TROY DAILY BUDGET Obituary, Monday Evening, May 30, 1842.

E. Obituary: MICHIGAN STATE JOURNAL, May 18, 1842.

F. Timothy Hopkins, "The Kelloggs in the Old World and The New," Published by Sunset Press & Photo Engraving Co., San Francisco, CA, 1903, Vol. I, Pg. 128.

G. Promotional material from New Hope Mills, Inc., 1994.

H. Robert J. Scary, "Millard Fillmore - 13th President of the United States," printed by The Village Printer, Moravia, NY, 1993, pgs 5, 11, 13, 23-24, 66.

I. Katherine Albanese, Town Clerk, Niles, NY; letter to the writer postmarked May 17, 1999.

More About Charles Kellogg, (The Hon.):
Burial: Unknown, Grave 8, Lot 2, Block 20, Fairview Cemetery, Ann Arbor, MI.
Created with Family Tree Maker


Home | Help | About Us | Biography.com | HistoryChannel.com | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009 Ancestry.com