Starting Sept. 5, 2014, Genealogy.com will be making a big change. GenForum message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
 
Learn more


[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]

Ancestors of Christina Marie Wise Brown


      7638. Edward Cole, born November 09, 1657 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; died 1717 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland. He was the son of 15276. Robert Cole and 15277. Rebecca Knott. He married 7639. Honora Ford.

      7639. Honora Ford, died Aft. 1694. She was the daughter of 15278. Robert Ford and 15279. Mary Clarke.
     
Children of Edward Cole and Honora Ford are:
  i.   Edward Cole, born 1682.
  ii.   Elizabeth Cole, born 1684.
  iii.   Robert Cole, born 1686; married Elizabeth Herbert.
  iv.   Honour Cole, born 1688.
  3819 v.   Ruth Cole, born 1699; died 1774; married Thomas Mattingly Abt. 1715.
  vi.   Susanna Cole, born 1692.
  vii.   Mary Cole, born 1694.


      7644. Mathias O'Bryan

More About Mathias O'Bryan:
Name 2: Mathias O'Bryan
     
Child of Mathias O'Bryan is:
  3822 i.   Philip O'Bryan.


      7664. Reverend Philip Edelen, born Abt. 1602 in Pinner Marsh, Middlesex Co., England; died March 22, 1655/56 in Denham, Buckingham Co., England. He was the son of 15328. Richard Edlyn and 15329. Margaret. He married 7665. Catherine Offley Abt. 1630.

      7665. Catherine Offley, born Abt. 1605 in Middlesex Co., England; died Aft. 1639. She was the daughter of 15330. Thomas Offley and 15331. Anne Clitherow.

Notes for Reverend Philip Edelen:
Philip Edelen (c. 1602-1656) was educated at Cambridge University and became a minister in the Church of England. Throughout his life he used different spellings for his last name, including Edlin and Edelen. Philip was Rector of St. John Zachary and St. Michael Bassishar churches in London, and is buried in St. Mary's Church in Denham, Buckinghamshire. There is a monument above his grave, with the following inscription:

"Here lyeth Philippe Edelen, a man of rare endowments, singular integrity, holy Conversation and a most prudent solide and constant preacher of Truth in the most difficult times wherein he lived, continuing unmoved in the principles he had first layd and dying a true sonne of the Church of England, March 22nd, 1656 and of his age 58."

Reference: http://www.ghgcorp.com/edelen/People1.html

More About Reverend Philip Edelen:
Burial: St. Mary's Church, Denham, Buckinghamshire, England
     
Children of Philip Edelen and Catherine Offley are:
  3832 i.   Richard Edelen, born Abt. 1639 in Middlesex Co., England; died Abt. March 05, 1694/95 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; married Elizabeth Banton October 29, 1663 in St. Peter's Church, at Paul's Wharf, London, England.
  ii.   Christopher Edelen, born Abt. 1631; married Anne Broderwicke.
  iii.   Ann Edelen, born September 28, 1633; married James Hill June 16, 1654 in St. Michael Bass, London, England.


      7666. Lord ? Pannewell
     
Child of Lord ? Pannewell is:
  3833 i.   Elizabeth Banton, born Abt. 1639 in England; died in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; married Richard Edelen October 29, 1663 in St. Peter's Church, at Paul's Wharf, London, England.


      7808. Lt. Colonel John Jarboe, born 1619 in Dijon, Burgandy , France; died March 04, 1674/75 in Brittons Bay, Maryland. He married 7809. Mary M Tattershall 1656 in St. Mary's County, Maryland.

      7809. Mary M Tattershall, born 1630 in Wiltshire, England; died 1677 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland. She was the daughter of 15618. William Tattershall and 15619. Anne Lewger.

Notes for Lt. Colonel John Jarboe:
Lt. Colonel John Jarboe

From the Supplement to the History Carrollton Manor
Early House Design in Maryland Colony
THE LONG LANE FARMSTEAD
From the Baltimore Sunday Sun Magazine September 15, 1929


Among the early colonists who came to Maryland, although his arrival was about two decades after the landing of the Ark and the Dove, was one Lieut.-Col. John Jarboe, whose name seems first to have been spelled Jarbo, and at other times Garbo. Lieutenant-Colonel Jarboe as a native of Dijon France and came to Maryland from Virginia as a soldier in the service of Lord Baltimore, with whom he seems to have been on terms of closest friendship. His house, more than two hundred and fifty years old, still is standing in St. Mary’s county, about fifty yards back from the shore of the Chesapeake Bay, with broad Sweep of thick green turf between. The place is known as Long Lane Farm and belongs to Marcel Longini formerly of Chicago, who resides in Baltimore and has summer home on the property, which is not far from the little settlement known as Pearson.

The old house is a representative in every detail of the first homes of the Maryland colonist. It belongs to the type which has come to be know in Southern Maryland as the Marine Colonial houses built for the most part by men whose interest was in ships, houses with hipped roofs pitched steeply from the ridge pole and extending down front and back, to cover the porch, which always faced the water, and the rear rooms on the first floor. From the roof long attenuated dormers, with triangular caps, look out like spyglasses. It was an easy matter for the owner of a vessel anxious for its return, to scan a considerable stretch of water from the vantage points of these dormers or if that scrutiny told him nothing, to clamber out and up to the top of the roof, where he had a still more extended range of vision.

The walls of Lieutenant-Colonel Jarboe’s home were built of brick and laid two feet thick, in the interlocking Flemish bond which makes the walls as strong and impregnable as the walls of a fortress. The front and rear facades are clapboard, for such was the fashion of the day, and two immense, free-standing chimneys, with ornamental caps, rise several feet above the ridge pole – one at each end of the house – their curious outlines and intricate construction offering a long chapter of fascinating study to the person who finds absorption in old brickwork. In the cellar the foundations of the chimneys take the form of a semi-circle, with a line of curious compartments around the rim of the opening.

The use of these compartments never has been explained. Concerning them one can only conjecture.

Beside the chimney, on one end of the house, is a door leading into the old kitchen, and on the other side a low archway, covered by a shed roof. Just beyond is the most interesting characteristic of the house, a curious little pent house, with thick walls and lighted by a single four-paned window close up under the eaves of its sloping roof. The pent house connects by a doorway with the bedroom back of the old kitchen and at ground level in hollowed out, possibly six feet or more below the ground. Into this curious little structure went the entire family when the dreaded war-whoop announced an Indian raid pulling aside the heavy planks of the floor and dropping down into the little homemade fort. As soon as the last member of the family had descended to safety, the floor planks were replaced in position and certain strategic bricks were removed from the wall at ground level, making almost invisible apertures through which to shoot at the Indians.

The first floor of the house includes, in addition to the Kitchen and bedroom mentioned a large “great room,” which opened onto a small hallway, really little more than a passage, leading to the back door, and a smaller bedroom, with a small chimney of its own. A primitive stairway, with a single landing leads up from the “great room” into one of the two bedrooms on the second floor. There is no hall upstairs at Long Lane Farm nor do any of the other Marine Colonial houses of Maryland show such an attribute of luxury. A vast amount of space goes to waste under the eaves of the upper rooms and narrow, boxlike recesses which culminate in the dormer windows give these little bed chambers an appearance of primitiveness which is not paralleled in Maryland outside of St. Mary’s county.

Change is a thing unknown at Long Lane Farm. Except for the replacement of broken windowpanes and the covering of the original roof of hand-split chestnut shingles a few years ago with a new roof, the house has known no alteration whatever. It is a perfect exhibit of the day in which it was built, showing almost by its very arrangement how life was carried on under its roof. Existence was inevitably, shorn of all unnecessary trappings. Windows, for instance were expensive, so the number of them was reduced to a minimum. Heat was a premium, so the owner of the house slept in the room next the kitchen and left the door between open at night. Before he went to bed he remove the loose floor planks in the pent house so that should a hurried rush to safety be necessary, it could be accomplished without wasting a moment. The door of the other first floor bedroom in immediately opposite the doors leading, respectively, from the hallway into the owner’s bedroom, and from the bedroom into the pent house, affording the occupants of the far bedroom a direct route to the dugout.

In later years, when the specter of the Indian no longer menaced and life in St. Mary’s county had assumed the ease and freedom which still characterized it, revelry ran high in this old house. The Platers and the Carrolls of Susquehanna, the Thomases and the Briscoes all foregathered there. The sleeping problem being solved by all the feminine members of the gathering sleeping crosswise in the big four-poster – sometimes as many as four to a bed – in the upper rooms, and the men disposing themselves as best they might in the rooms below. Only the most intimate of the family friends remained for the night unless they had been particularly bidden ore were force to stay for some other reason, most of the parties braking up early in order to permit the revelers, lighting their way by pine torches and following the trails indicated by notches cut in the trees to reach home before midnight.

Lieutenant-Colonel John Jarboe was merely Lieutenant Jarboe when he came to Maryland from Virginia in 1646 to help Lord Baltimore settle some of his boundary difficulties and remained in the military service of the colony. IN 1667-8 there is record of an order given him to “press” twenty-three men out of his company and conduct them to East St. Mary’s the renezous for an expedition against the Nanticoke Indians on the Eastern Shore.

Everything thing too, points to then Lieutenant Jarboe’s participation the imbroglio which took place at Providence, as Annapolis then was called, between the forces of Governor Stone and the government which had been set up under the authorization of the Crowellian Parliament in England for the 'reduction of Maryland'. Lieutenant Jarboe was fined one thousand pounds of tobacco for his part in that affair, the lightness of his fines said to have been the result of his ability to convince the court that he had entered into the engagement unwillingly.

Lieutenant Jarboe having come into Maryland under the later ‘conditions of plantation', would have been ineligible owing to his birth on French soil to participate in the expansive generosity by which Lord Baltimore authorize his governors to grant land, subject to small quit rent, to every adventurer who applied for it. Under the later conditions of plantation only persons of British or Irish parentage were eligible to land grants, but a 'rider', declaring that divers Frenchmen and some people who were already seated should be as capable of having grants made to them also gave him the opportunity to become a Maryland landholder.

The first grant made to him was on Kent Island but, perhaps because of the insecurity of these holdings from attack or because of the more congenial atmosphere of the Catholic colony of St. Mary’s Lieutenant Jarboe took up one hundred acres of land on Britton’s Bay, to which he subsequently added tracts of considerable size. Old records spoke of him having had a house near New-Town, in Newton Hundred, but whether the house mentioned in this reference is the one on Long Lane Farm or not can only be conjectured, as all traces of New-Town have been lost.

On July 30, 1661, Lord Baltimore, by his brother, Gov. Philip Calvert, declared John Jarboe Subject of the Crowne of France, to be a free Denizen of Maryland, with same rights as if born in the province. Three years later he was commissioned a Justice of the peace of St. Mary’s county, a position of real importance, for the justices of the colonial government composed the county court, a certain proportion of their number being designated a quorum, everyone of whom was required to be present before the court could sit, unless a member of the council was present.

This post was augmented in 1667 by the appointment of Lieutenant-Colonel Jarboe, as he had become by this time, to be High Sheriff of St. Mary’s. The appointment was made by Cecilius Calvert, Lord Baltimore, acting through his son Gov. Charles Calvert,

Later third Lord Baltimore, and was confirmed the next year. The French-born Marylander also found time to sit in the Lower House and took part constantly in the councils of the province except during a short period when, in some manner or other, he seems to have given offense to the proprietary. The coldness, however, does not seem to have lasted any great length of time and preceded Lieutenant-Colonel Jarboe various appointments to office.

In 1671 be made a will in writing. Subsequently, however, he had another Son and daughter for whom he wished to make provisions, but failed to do so until several years later when he became ill and was urged by his long-time friend and compatriot, John Jourdain, to put his affairs in order. Accepting this advice, he urge John Jourdain to summon to his bed side the following Friday one Edward Clarke to draw him a new will in writing, but, in the meantime, instructed Jourdain concerning his wishes and bade him take notice that such was his will. The formal document never was drawn up and the nuncupative will was validated by the Assembly.

John Jarboe, his eldest son, received the estate of land where Lieutenant-Colonel Jarboe then lived, and this presumably, is the old house on Long Lane Farm. Other tracts of land were devised to his other sons, his daughter, Mary, receiving no real estate because she had some land to be made good to her by Mark Cordea and Walter Hall, gentleman.

By various intermarriages the tract on which the old Jarboe house stands passed into the possession of the Carrolls of Susquehanna and was know for many years as Carroll’s Bay Property before it came into the possession of Mr. Longini.

Many thanks to Linda Jarboe Kutner for supplying a copy of the original newspaper clipping.

Source: www.jarboe.org

More About Lt. Colonel John Jarboe:
Burial: St. Frances Xaiver Church, Maryland
     
Children of John Jarboe and Mary Tattershall are:
  i.   John Jarboe, born 1659 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; died May 16, 1705 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; married (1) Mary Peak Abt. 1688; married (2) Sarah Joy Bef. 1693 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; born Abt. 1668 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; died Bef. 1705.
  ii.   Mary Jarboe, born 1669 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; died Bef. December 1739 in Calvert Co., Maryland; married (1) James Caine; married (2) Major William Boarman Abt. 1686 in Charles Co., Maryland; born May 22, 1630 in England; died January 07, 1707/08 in Bryantown, Charles Co, Maryland; married (3) John Sauders Abt. 1711; died 1730.
  Notes for Major William Boarman:
WILLIAM BOARMAN

      William Boarman was born in England in 1630. Exactly when he entered the province is not known, however, he seems to have been merely a lad in his young teens. The first Maryland record concerning him, when he was 15 years old, shows him living with Jesuit priests.

      During Claiborne and Ingle's Rebellion, in 1645, Kent Island was first captured and then the whole Province of Maryland. A temporary government was set up, and Governor Leonard Calvert and other settlers, including most of the Catholics, whose land had been seized, took refuge in Virginia.

      While in Virginia, Governor Leonard Calvert raised an army. One of William Boarman's future father-in-laws, Lieutenant Colonel John Jarboe, was a leader of the troops which assisted Governor Leonard Clavert in restoring Maryland to his authority. Peace was restored to Maryland and prevailed until about 1689.

      When Father Andrew White first arrived in the Province of Maryland in1634, one of his first interests was to proselytize and baptize the native Indians. Once can suppose if young William Boarman was liviing with the Jesuits, he accomanied later Jesuits on their visits to convert the Indians. In his adult life William Boarman knew the Indian dialects, and until his death was an interpreter for Indian affairs for the Provincial government.

      William Boarman was intimately associated with the Clavert family. It is within the realm of possibility that he or his first wife, Sarah, in some manner was related to the Lord Proprietary. His 3,000 acre tract in St. Mary's County was given the significant name of "Brother's Gift" granted in 1674 during the reign of Cecilius, and only the Lord Proprietor had the power to give or grant land.

      Upon Charles Calvert's, later 3rd Baron, initial coming to Maryland in 1661 he was a guest in the manor house of William Boarman until he found suitable quarters. At that time his half-uncle, Philip Calvert, was in Maryland residence. In Calvert's retinue was an Irish servant wench, Nell Butler, who became attracted to one of Major Boarman's black African slaves and insisted upon marrying him much against the entreaties of Clavert and Boarman who finally gave their consent. About 100 years later her issue who had remained slaves in the Boarman family sued for their freedom which resulted in an interesting court case and legal decision.

      William Boarman was appointed as one of the Justices of the Peace for St. Mary's County on 7/27/1666. As a new justice he first took an oath of fidelity to the Right Honorable Cecilius Lord Proprietary and then the Oath of a Justice of the Peace.

      From 1660, when William Boarman was commissioned a Captain, and until 5/8/1700, he traded with, and laid out land for the Indians, as directed by the Provincial Council.

      William Boarman spoke a number of Indian dialects, and he was an Indian interpreter on many occasions. He handled dealings with the Indians, not only in St. Mary's and Charles' Counties, bu also in Calvert and Anne Arundel Counties as well. On one occasion his close business relations with the Indians led to an accusation that he was exciting the Indians to massacre the protestants. Upon investigation it was found the rumor was started by Wawoostaugh, who the Indian Emporer insisted was "an idle and run away person" adn that the story should not have been believed. With no supporting evidence William Boarman was cleared of such charges. From time to time William Boarman received payment form the Provinicial Council for his valuable services with the Indian tribes.

      William Boarman was able to keep the Indian tribes peaceful and no massacres occurred while he was interpreter. Likewise he was employed to keep the English from annoying the Indians.

      William Boarman was a justice of the peace, a delegate to the assembly on several occasions, a coroner, an officer of the Provincial militia, and a magistrate of the local courts in St. Mary's County. For Charles County he served as a delegate to the lower house of the assembly from 1671 to 1675. On March 10th, 1678 Major William Boarman was made sheriff of St. Mary's County and Leonard Green took the oath of sub sheriff. By 1675 he was commissed a Major in the Provincial Militia, and was the main interpreter and negotiator with the Indian tribes in all matters pertaining to the Province. William Boarman was a remarkable man, as well as an extraordinary leader, to be able to hold several important posts simultaneously.

      When Major William Boarman took up residence at "Boarman Manor" he had a chapel near or connected to his residence. This chapel he mentions in his will. This chapel was the forerunner of St. Mary's Parish, Bryantown, Maryland.

      As the records show, the Catholic Church into which Major William Boarman was "born and bred" had a top priority in his life, and that of his family. Like himself, his three wives came from staunch Catholic families. Their strong faith and religious practices were passed on to their children, who like their parents were leaders in the Catholic Church. Those same Catholic values have been passed down and are possessed by Boarman descendants today.

When he died, Major William Boarman's home plantation was "Boarman's Rest," known as "Boarman's Manor" which consisted of 3,333 acres of land. This house stood until 1913 when it was torn down. Major William Boarman's descendants have continuously lived on this site, and on the vast acreage he possessed.

It can be assumed that Major William Boarman was buried near his residence on "Boarman's Manor." It was custom of all the old English settlers to have their burial ground quite near to, and within sight of the family residence.

This old Boarman home was a typical 17th century two-story brick with a deep sloping roof and dormer windows, a one-story wing on the side, and a seperate kitchen in the rear, attached to the house by an open porch.

The area near the residence of Major William Boarman was eventually called Bryantown, Maryland. From the colonial times until the building of the railroads, Bryantown was a center of importance and the main stop between St. Mary's City and Port Tobacco. Bryan's Inn, probably the reason for the town's name, offered travelers an evening's rest and good food. A Boarman department store was located ere as early as 1778, a part of a thriving village. This store was run by Edward Boarman.

Bryantown is still found at the crossroads of Route 5 and Route 232. Today only a fre stores, houses, and near-by St. Mary's Church comprise this once flourising little village.

Source: MAJOR WILLIAM BOARMAN (1630-1709), HIS DESCENDANTS, (ISBN: 0-939142-11-2) written by Mary Louise Donnelly.


  iii.   Peter Jarboe, born February 1670/71 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; died Bef. April 1698 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; married Ann Nevitt; born in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; died 1698 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland.
  3904 iv.   Henry Jarboe, born April 1672 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; died Bef. March 18, 1707/08 in St. Mary's Co., Maryland; married Monica Joy in St. Mary's County, Maryland.


[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]
Home | Help | About Us | Biography.com | HistoryChannel.com | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009 Ancestry.com