Notes for William Law: William Law received his early education at the Sunbury Academy under the tutorship of Dr. William McWhir. At the age of 19 years (1812), he came to Savannah, taught school at the Chatham Academy, where he was Principal. At night he studied law. He entered the law office of Davis & Berrien. This firm was succeeded by Berrien and Law, and they in turn by Law and Bartow, Law Bartow and Lovell, Law Lovell and Falligant and, lastly, by Law and Falligant. These several connections maintained legal offices in Savannah for over 75 years and from the personnel of their organizations there were elected or appointed four judges of the Superior Court for the Eastern District of Georgia. Judge Law was Solicitor General of the Superior Court for several terms from November, 1819. He was appointed judge of the Superior Court by Governor Forsyth on February 12, 1829 and retired from the bench June 17, 1834. The Georgian of May 16, 1829 notes that William Law received his commission from Gov. Forsyth as Judge of the Eastern Circuit in place of Judge Davies, deceased.
Judge Law was offered the position of Ambassador to France by President Buchanan, but he declined that honor.
In military matters, Judge Law took a prominent part. He joined the Georgia Hussars upon his arrival in Savannah in 1812, was elected 2nd Lieutenant July 25, 1821 and 1st Lieutenant November 18, 1823, and was Captain from November 7, 1825 to November, 1827. On Jan. 25, 1838, he was commissioned Major of the 1st Squadron of Georgia Cavalry. He was carried on the rolls of the Georgia Hussars as an honorary member until his death.
William Law was an Alderman of the City of Savannah during the years 1828-29 and again in the years 1841-1842. In May, 1850, he was elected as a delegate from the State at Large to the convention of the people of the Southern States.
He was a charter member of the Georgia Historical Society and was on the first Board of Curators. At the first Anniversary meeting of the Society, he made the principal address, which is published in full in the proceedings of the Society (Vol. 1). On May 6, 1852, he was the principal speaker at the Centennial Celebration of Midway Church. He joined the Hibernian Society of Savannah on March 17, 1823 and joined the Independent Presbyterian Church of Savannah, under the pastorate of Dr. Daniel Baker. Soon after his uniting with the church, he was elected a ruling elder and continued as such until his death. During LaFayette's visit to Savannah in March, 1825, Judge Law was a Lieutenant in the Georgia Hussars and was probably with that troop in the military escort for him.
While Judge Law was engaged in the practice of law in Savannah, he owned and operated a large rice plantation in Bryan County, at the confluence of the Canoochee and Ogeechee Rivers, known by the name of Walton Plantation.
In 1819, Judge Law formed a partnership with Joseph Jackson for the practice of law and had offices on Johnson Square. In the spring of 1847, Daniel Webster and wife visited Savannah. Two public dinners were given for him. At the one given by the Bar Association, M. H. McAllister and Hon. William Law presided.
Judge Law owned and occupied the house on the Southeast corner of York and Barnard Streets, now occupied by the Knights of Pythias as their hall. This he sold just prior to the Civil War, taking in payment Confederate bonds and intending to purchase the home on the Northeast corner of Bull and Jones Streets, but the war ended and Confederate bonds were worthless, and he could not purchase it. He also resided at the corner of Lincoln and President Streets in a large three story brick tenement house, General A. R. Lawton occupying the other tenement. At the time of his death, he lived in the middle of the block on the south side of Jones Street between Barnard and Jefferson.
The Georgia Census as of June 1, 1850 shows the following about the household of William and "Alethea" Law: William Law, 57m, Lawyer, born Liberty Co., GA; value of property $10,000; Alethea, 40f, born Savannah, GA; Henry M. Law, 26m, lawyer; Alethea S., 21f Julia, 19f; Ebenezer S., 15m, no profession, attends school; Mary L., 13f, attends school; Williamina, 11f, attends school; Ella, 9f, attends school; Caroline, 8f, attends school; Samuel S., 5m, attends school; Emily, 4f; Isabella, 2f; and Eliza Roberts, 56f.
The Georgia Census as of June 1, 1860 shows the following about the household of William Law: William Law, 67m, Lawyer; value of real property $10,000; personal property $62,775; Alethia, 50f; Ebenezer S., 24m, civil engineer; personal property $200; Wilhelmina, 20f; Ella, 18f, attends school; Carey, 17f, attends school; Samuel, 16m, attends school; Bella, 12f, attends school; Georgia, 10f; attends school; Alida, 7f, attends school; Alethia Burroughs, 31f; and Mary Law, 21f.
Alethea Stark Law and William Law are buried in the Law family lot in Laurel Grove Cemetery, Savannah, and a monument is erected there to their memory. Several of his children are buried there also.
More About William Law: Burial: Unknown, Laurel Grove Cemetery. Fact 2: 1812, Cavalry Company Commander in the War. Fact 3: 1815, Admitted to the bar. Fact 4: 1828, Appointed Superior Court Judge. Fact 5: 1834, Retired from the bench.
More About William Law and Ann Caroline Fabian: Marriage: 1813
More About William Law and Alethea Marbury Jones: Marriage: October 13, 1821
More About William Law and Alethea Jones Stark: Marriage: February 20, 1834, Savannah, GA.
Children of William Law and Ann Caroline Fabian are: