Notes for Christian Brandt: Below is the transcription of a series of articles, originally published in the Lebanon Report Newspaper between December 1918 and January 1919. It has been compiled by Marian Brandt DiJohnson, descendant of Christian Brandt of Swatara, and her son William P. DiJohnson Jr. in our heartfelt effort to “keep green the memory” of those relatives who worked and prayed over the centuries on our behalf.
THE PLAIN PEOPLE OF LEBANON COUNTY
By Rev. J. G. Francis
Table of Contents
The Brandt Family ---------------------------------- Page 1
The Old Brandt Homestead ---------------------- Page 6
Isaac Brandt and His Descendants ----------- Page 11
The Farm of Henry Brandt ------------------------ Page 16
Adam Brandt of Bethel ---------------------------- Page 25
Other Brandt Families ----------------------------- Page 30
THE PLAIN PEOPLE OF LEBANON COUNTY
By Rev. J. G. Francis ______________ _______
(Introduction to) The Brandt Family
We do not find the name of Brandt (Brand) among the very first Mennonites in America; not among the most numerous, nor among the most religious. We have not found a single one that was a preacher; we have found them in but two sections of our state, and were unable to find them here before 1718. They seem to have been well-to-do, having good-sized farms, religious to the extent of practicing religion in the daily walks of life, and leaders in common affairs.
Among the Mennonites who came to what is now Lancaster county, between 1718 and 1729, we find Adam Brandt. Smith says: “ An examination of the names of the early settlers of Lancaster County shows that by 1725 Jacob Hostetter, who came in 1715, Johannes Lichty, Adam Brandt and Simon Konig, were residents of the county. These are all characteristic Amish names, but whether their bearers were of that faith is not certain.
Egle, in his "History of Dauphin and Lebanon Counties", gives three early Brands as head of families: 1. Adam Brand, of Bethel, died in July, 1806, leaving a wife, Sarah, and children: Henry, Jacob, Elizabeth, Christian, Adam, Joseph, & Martin. 2. Christian Brand, of Lebanon Township, died April of 1809, leaving wife, Catharine, sister Catharine and children : Isaac, Jacob, Anna, Henry, Mary, Barbara, Catharine, and Elizabeth. 3. Martin Brand Sr., of Derry, died in October of 1809 leaving wife Esther and children. Philip died prior to 1809. Children surviving were: David, Abraham, Ludwig, Adam, Martin, John, Margaret, Elizabeth, and Catharine.
Joseph L Brandt who was chosen cashier of the Exchange Bank of Marietta, Lancaster county, in 1880, is said to be a great grandson of John Brandt who resided in Londonderry (originally Derry) where he was born about 1740 and died in 1784. We might add incidentally, that in Conestoga Township, Lancaster, we find in 1780 one Simon Brand whose valuation was 290 thousand; and in East Lampeter Township, same county, we find Hans Brand as a pioneer settler. In Rapho Township, Lancaster County, which joined Derry, we find as non-associator in 1777, Samuel Brand Sr., Samuel Brand Jr., Christian Brand, Christian Brand (again)John Brand and Peter Brand. Non-associator doubtless means Mennonite. Taxables in 1780 in Rapho Township were Samuel Brand Sr,. Samuel Brand Jr.,and Christian Brand. We find Martin Brand in Derry Township, Dauphin County in 1780 owning 212 acres of land: D. (likely David) Brand as supervisor in Derry in 1796: M. (likely Martin) Brandt, supervisor in 1798: and Abram Brandt supervisor in 1817. So much for the Brandts of Derry and Lancaster County. Egle’s classification. does not seem to be all comprehensive. We may have something to say a little later about the Brandts of Derry or our Londonderry.
Just now we wish to consider the:
BRANDS OF BETHEL AND LEBANON
Egle makes this classification. He wrote the history of Dauphin and Lebanon counties. He doubtless looked up the records at Harrisburg, and from them drew his information, which is for the years 1806 and 1809: At this time, Lebanon County was part of Dauphin, and the deeds and wills of the former county were then recorded in Harrisburg. We are thankful for this information, but it is well to know to know its origin, if we are to use it right.
We are sure that the Brands of Lebanon and Bethel are one and the same. The old homestead north of the United Brethren campmeeting grounds, now the home of John Brandt, is partly in north Lebanon and partly in Bethel township or Swatara, which in 1809 was Bethel. This, however, was not the original homestead of the Brands in the locality.
ADAM, THE FIRST
Adam Brand, doubtless the ancestor of all Brands of Lebanon and Bethel townships, received a warrant for 250 acres of land in Lebanon township, Oct. 21, 1747. He is likely the Adam Brand who arrived in Lancaster county, or rather what was later Lancaster County between 1718 and 1729. Like to many others, what is now Lancaster County was to him, after a stay of a few years, a stepping stone to Lebanon County, the land of promise. Another question arises, was this Adam, the original, the Adam who died in July, 1806, or was the former, father to the latter? In the first place, they did not reside in the same township. The original Adam bought land in Lebanon Township. But he may have moved, but this is hardly likely, for reasons that will come to surface later. Adam Brand was on the Lebanon Assessment list in 1750. In 1755 we have on the list also Adam Brand Jr. Now the Adam Brand whose son in 1755 was old enough to be a land owner must have been pretty old in 1806.though not as old as Methuselah. Again , the Adam who came to Lancaster county before 1729, would also by 1806 have passed beyond the usual allotment of years to man in these latter days.
In 1775, an Adam Brand in Bethel was Constable. This is likely the Adam who died there in 1806. But the first Adam would have been a little old for constable in 1775.
Again we learn that Adam Brand, Sr., and Barbara his wife, on December 20, 1760, conveyed to their son Christian, a large tract of land, perhaps the original Lebanon County Homestead. Now Mr. Egle says that Adam, who died in 1806, left a wife Sarah. Of course 46 years is ample time for one wife to depart and for another to arrive, but under the circumstances in this case, the supposition is little less that abhorrent.
True, Adam of Bethel, who died in 1806, had a son Adam, but he was surely the Third. The name Adam has prevailed throughout all generations of this tribe of Brands. An Adam Brandt received from is father Christian, the farm immediately south of the homestead which is north of the campmeeting grounds. Adam’s son, Adam O., now retired in Cleona, lived on this farm many years. There were two Adam Brands, non-associators in Bethel township, AUGUST 19, 1777. these were doubtless Adam the 2nd and Adam the 3rd. Adam the 2 was on the assessment list of 1755, and he might easily have had a son the age of 22.. Adam the first likely had died in Lebanon, where he had settled in 1747 and that leads to THE OLD BRAND CEMETERY.
The family burial place of the Brands is on the small farm of John Stohler, a distance west of halfway, on the north side of the pike. Upwards of 50 years ago, Mrs Daniel Steckbeck, nee Brandt, of Sand Hill, well remembers having heard her grandmother Brandt say concerning some persons going around to collect money: “They come around to collect money to clean up the cemetery and fix the wall. All of the old Brands lie buried there. And we give something.” When the Brand cemetery was well filled up, the family began burying at Kimmerlings, a number of the family having joined the Reformed worshiping at the place.
The Grandmother Brand was a born Heilman, and those who know anything of the Heilmans know that they believe in keeping green the memory of their ancestors. Dr. S. P. Heilman is largely the founder of the Lebanon County Historical Society, and has just written for it a history for the Heilman family. This grandmother was also liberal enough to help keep green the memory of the ancestry on the other side of the house. “Honor thy father and thy mother that they days may be long in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.”
We visited the old cemetery. There are breaches in the one-time good limestone wall. Trees and undergrowth have been granted full liberty. There are a few tombstones with inscriptions. But generally there were the old rough limestones, pointing downward, taking much for granted, too much alas Giving no introduction to the one beneath. But two stones we found which we believe to be of the first importance. On one was clearly cut “1768 and the other was almost clear and was apparently the same year. Beneath these two stones we believe lie the remains of Adam Brandt, the original settler, and his wife Barbara, who died the year above designated... _______________________
The Old Brandt Homestead
...In our efforts to learn of the original Brandt home of old Lebanon township, perhaps the best way will be to quote from official documents. Let us first acknowledge indebtedness to Mrs. William Eckert, of Sand Hill, which we herewith do, and pay our respects to a worthy writer of Lebanon county history. As an introduction to the consideration of the old Brandt homestead we shall take up: The Manor of White Church”.
John Penn, Thomas Penn and Richard Penn, Esquires, on September 17, 1735 did grant and confirm into John Page a certain tract of land situated on Tulpehocken Creek in the county of Lancaster. Two thousand, two hundred and twelve acres are granted and named the Manor of white church. Accordingly, Adam Brand on May 23, 1745, for the sum of 315 British Pounds bought of this manor 788 acres, or a little more than one-third of the entire manor. It ran largely by vacant lands, the only adjoining land bought up was land surveyed for Christian Leman. So the Brand tract was likely one side of the manor, not the heart of it. Leman, like Brand, was a Mennonite name, and we are likely dealing with a Mennonite settlement, a thing too lowly for a lofty look. On October 21, 1747, Adam Brand received from the Penns a warrant for 250 acres of land. This was two years and five months after buying a large part of the manor of white church. He now owned 1038 acres, or beat the larger landowner, “the wealthy German emigrant Lei southeast of him by 38 acres. Had Washington on his hunting trip up the Lebanon Valley lodged with the Brands instead of with Michael Lei, he would not have suffered in the matter of hospitality, for in this line a Mennonite takes a back seat for no one. For once George Washington did not know which side of his bread was buttered; and he could have learned some points on farming which he could have introduced with profit on his plantation at Mt. Vernon, A word yet about the name Brand, it is the German word for “burn”. We have the combination “fire-brand.” in the body of a deed given by a son of Adam, the name is always spelled “Brandt”, but at the close of the deed, the name is signed “Brand”. This likely was the original spelling.
From what information we can gather, it seems that the old Brand house, likely the one first built by Adam Sr., when he bought his hundreds of acres from the manor of white church, stood where the present Seifert farm house stands, and almost directly north of the old Brand cemetery. Mrs. Cyrus Eckert, a widow of about 90 years, whose husband’s farm, the present Haak farm, joining the Seifert farm on the northwest, is the only person with whom we have come in contact who remembers this old Brand house. As a neighbor she entered it. She says it was an old log house, rather large, of two stories she thinks, with an out-kitchen. In the living room was a fireplace, and she remembers that there was a bedroom on the first floor.
It seems that this house was mysterious enough, and old enough, to furnish a home for a spook. Someone, an aged woman or aged man, most likely a man, accounts differ, name unnecessary, committed suicide by hanging to the rafter in the attic. Years later a lady residing in the house, Mrs. Blank, if you must have a name, happened to be in the attic. Alone, she fell to musing, and for want of companionship began talking to herself. After having surveyed the premises, she ejaculated, “And this is where that old woman hanged herself ” No sooner were the words out than the lady received from an unseen source a terrible blow on the back of her head that almost knocked her down. It is needless to say that that attic contained that lady a very short time thereafter. How some mischievous persons will spoil a good story A certain individual to whom we related this very serious incident, remarked: “Humph, I guess she was talking too energetically to herself and knocked the back of her head against the rafter ”
Turning the Tulpehocken out of its Course
We quote again from an old paper: This Indenture made the 13th day of April in the year of our Lord 1761 between Adam Brandt Jr. Of the township of Lebanon, yeoman of the first part, and Christian Brandt of the same place, yeoman of the other part, Whereas, the said Adam Brandt is seized and possessed in his demesne as of fee of, in, and to a certain tract or parcel lying and being butted and bounded as follows. Beginning at a white oak stump, thence by lands of the said Christian Brandt... thence by vacant land and land of Christian Leaman... containing 213 acres or thereabouts. And whereas the said Christian Brandt described a tract beginning at a white oak... containing 346 acres or thereabouts. And whereas there is a certain stream or run of water called _____ entering into the above described land of Adam Brandt in its natural course passing through the same without entering into the lands of Christian Brandt, and Whereas the said run of water is now and hath been for many years diverted or turned out of its said natural course by means of a race or ditch beginning in the said tract of Adam Brandt and from thence diverting the same into and through the meadow grounds of the said Christian Brandt for watering the same, and from thence passing into and through the meadow grounds of John Brandt. Now this Indenture witnessed that the said Adam Brandt for and in consideration as well of the sum of ten shillings lawful money, shall grant the liberty and privilege of entry, egress and regress, into through and upon said tract of land of him the said Adam Brandt to and from the said rase, or ditch, for mending, upholding, keeping the same in repair and for removing anything that may prevent or obstruct a free passage of the water into and through the adjacent lands.
From this old record and from a visit to the lands designated we conclude: Adam Jr., Christian and John were sons of Adam Brand Sr., still living when this grant was given by Adam Jr. The father was likely back of the transaction. Christian lived on the east farm of Ephraim Zug along the pike, tenanted by Mr. Deck; perhaps also including the farm on which Mr. Zug lives. Christian’s farm extended north to the fence right north of the house of the farm of Mrs. Haak, tenanted by George C. Spangler. North of this fence was the farm of Adam Jr. Through the meadow of which flows the Tulpehocken. The old log house stood diagonally across the creek eastward from the present Haak farm house. Adam Jr.’s farm extended northward from this fence over the hill far beyond, including what now belongs to the Haak farm north of this fence likely also the old Zweier farm, between Wm Arnold’s and the farm occupied by John Steckbeck. Jerome Shaeffer, now of Lebanon, reared in the neighborhood, says he heard his father speak of the Zweier and the Steckbeck farms having once been Brandt farms. It is easy yet to trace the artificial course made for the Tulpehocken right close to the present Haak house, on the north side and across from the meadow into the yard, thence on the east to join again the natural course of the stream. It is said that Mr. Haak in his lifetime dug this ditch to direct the stream around the side of the meadow, so that he could farm it. Doubtless Mr. Haak simply tried to make use of the ditch dug by the Brandt more than 160 years ago. Mr. Haak found that the Tulpehocken was bent on following the course of nature, and he finally decided to leave nature have her way. It is likely that nature also won out against the Brandts. The plucky little stream is worthy at this place of a visit by those who love the county’s history. Hans or John Brand doubtless occupied the homestead, east of Adam Jr. and Christian, the present Seifert and Stohler farms, on which is the cemetery, and perhaps also the behney farm at the corner, for the old deed says of the stream: “and from thence (Christian’s meadow) passing into and through the meadow grounds of John Brandt.”
It is in place to call attention to the fact that the farm of Adam Jr. did not extend as far north as the head spring of the Tulpehocken, for the deed reads: “ and whereas there is a certain stream or run of water... entering into the above described tract of land of Adam Brandt.” How far south the holdings of the old Brand father extended we have not learned, perhaps as far south as the old road to Myerstown, which may have been laid out along the southern border of this tract. At any rate we are informed that Abraham Rohland who two or three generations later married into the Brandt family, resided on the northwest corner property at Prescott and is buried in the old Brand Cemetery. When the Grohs of Halkway settled in the heart of the old Manor of the White Church we have not yet ascertained, but we know that Michael Tice (Teiss) bought 588 acres out of the Manor, likely the southeastern section of it, and that Phillip Schaeffer bought a like amount north of Tice, likely the northeast section. There is still some obsucrity overhanging the Manor. As the sun rises higher in the heavens, the fog will disappear.
We may conclude that the father Adam knew good land when he saw it, and that when his children left the land of his choice, they departed from a veritable Garden of Eden.
Isaac Brandt and His Descendants
Christian Brandt, of Halfway, had three sons and he provided a farm for each one. He had five daughters: Ann, Mary, Barbara, Catherine, and Elizabeth. To whom they were married, if married, as they likely were, we have not learned. But if Christian provided as well for his daughters as for his sons, he must have been a wealthy man indeed. We have promised to consider the son Isaac today.
On May 17, 1785, Christian Brandt bought a property of 174 acres from one Phillip Lawrence Hautz. It is now the old Brandt homestead north of the campmeeting grounds, and is now owned by John Brandt. It has been a Brandt property for 134 years. Since it is of so much consequence to many Brandt let us have its history from the beginning.
One Mathias Tise on Sept. 12, 1737, received a patent deed from the Penns, for a tract of 330 acres, on the branch of the Swatara creek. One Christopher Miller later represented the Penns that the survey had been made for Tice and for his brother-in-law, Peter Rood(Ruth) in equal moieties. Peter Rood conveyed 167 acres in 1748 to one Jacob Moyer, who conveyed it to Adam Brecht and Peter Groff in 1749, and they to Christopher Miller in 1750. Neither Tice nor Rood had paid anything to the Penns, so the transactions were declared void. The Penns then gave a patent deed to Miller in 1764. At this time it was bounded by the lands of: Jacob Karman, Adam Rapewine, Conrad Segler, Jacob Swope, Conrad Reninge, and John Atkinson. It really contained 174 acres. Hautz bought the land from Miller. As we have seen it went from Hautz to Christian Brandt in 1785. Christian Brandt and is wife Catherine on Mar. 17, 1795, conveyed it to their son Isaac.
What made Christian buy land over in this section we cannot say for a certainty, but we have some ground for conjecture. We have seen that it ran by land of Jacob Swope, who likely owned the present campmeeting grounds. Now Jacob Schwob, son of Jacob, married Elizabeth Brandt(Sept 15, 1773- Oct 13, 1842). This Elizabeth was likely the daughter of Christian, for Christian had a daughter Elizabeth. So Christian Brandt and Jacob Schwob were doubtless freinds and fellow Mennonites, for in ye olden time a Mennonite married a Mennonite. Brandt may have bought on the suggestion of his friend Schwob. Yet the wife of one Abraham Groh had evidently been Elizabeth Brandt, born 1771. Adam Brandt of Bethel also had an Elizabeth. We shall leave it to the reader to assign these two Elizabeths to their proper places.
Isaac may have settled on this property of his father before he bought it. At any rate his daughter Elizabeth was born in 1795. Perhaps she was the oldest of his children. His wife was one Frany Landis. We know of four children: Elizabeth, Christian, Isaac Jr., and Frany.
Elizabeth Brandt was born Apr. 3, 1795 and died Aug 8, 1875. She is buried in the old Brandt Cemetery near Halfway. She was married to Abraham Rohland, a farmer and showmaker. They resided at Prescott, in the old house on the northwest corner. This was likely a part of the original Brandt tract, and we understand consisted of some acres. Rohland was doubtless a man of some business ability for he was made one of the executors of the will of his father-in-la, Isaac Brandt. The Rohlands are said to have received the home at Prescott from Isaaac Brandt. They had the following children: Eliza who married David Landis, Susanna who married William Stover, Edward with who the mother(Elizabeth Brandt) died, Ezra who married Sarah Ann Black.
Frany Brandt, Isaac’s other daughter married John L. Shuey, a farmer near Walmer’s Church. He was quite rich, the owner of several farms. She died young but left seven children: John Adam, Ephraim, William, John Henry, Mary, Elizabeth, and one that died young.
There are many Christians in Lebanon County, more than you might think. We are now writing of the Christian who lived above the campmeeting grounds, still remembered by the older folks as grandson of Christian of Halfway. Treatment received by his father, Isaac, relative to taking the Oath of Allegiance to Pennsylvania may have made him indifferent to religion. The same treatment may have paved the way for so many of the Brandts joining the church at Kimmerlings and others joined the Lutherans. Christian was born Feb 23, 1800 and died Mar. 26, 1873. Is wife, Ann Heilman was born July 28, 1804 and died Feb 11 1886. They are sleeping the long sleep, side by side, in Kimmerlings cemetery. It is unnecessary to tell the religious faith of the Heilmans.
On Dec. 21, 1825, Christian Brandt practically received from his father the homestead. Isaac made his will Jan. 16, 1828, appointing his son Christian, and his son-in-law, Abraham Rohland, as executors. But Isaac must have lived many years thereafter for Rohland did not convey the farm to Christian until July 15, 1848.
Chrsitian also owned a property some distance north of him also along the Fredericksburg road, 36 acres and 119 perches, bought from one John Finkel, Apr. 2, 1837, which Christian transferred to his sons, Adam and Elias, Jan. 13, 1862, which the sons in turn transferred to John D. Krause. It is described as “All the certain Grist mill, Messuage, tract or piece of land situate part in Bethel and part in Swatara township.” The mill has been removed. The farm is now tenanted by Harry Dierwechter, a former pupil of the writer.
Christian Brandt had four children: Adam, Elias, Polly, and Elizabeth. Christian made his two sons and two sons-in-law executors of his will. And on June 13, 1873 a farm of 134 acres was conveyed by his executors to son Adam Brandt born Mar 15, 1829 and died Apr. 30, 1903. Adam conveyed the same farm to his son Adam O. Brandt on Mar 31, 1892.
Adam Brandt, United Zion Children, had three children: John Henry of Fredericksburg, Emma married to Adam Hunsicker, Brethren, and Adam O., Brethren in Christ of Cleona.
Elias Brandt and his wife are buried at Kimmerlings. They were United Christian and had seven children: Lizzie married to Daniel Steckbeck, Annie married to Monroe Gingrich, John married to Susan Phillips, Daniel, Emma married to David Reigle, Eva married to Elias Sando, and Ella married to Harry Yeagley.
Polly Brandt married John Bomberger, a farmer west of Snavely fruit farm. They are buried at the Hill Church.
Elizabeth Brandt married Joseph Snavely, whose farm was cut in two by the Pine Grove Railroad. He was a lay preacher of the United Christians. They are also buried at Hill Church.
Father Isaac Brandt had also owned the farm immediately east of his home. His executors on July 15, 1848, transferred this farm to Isaac Jr. The widow of Isaac Jr. and their children on Apr. 4, 1876, transferred this 96 acre farm to Marcus Hoffa.
Isaac Brandt Jr. (Oct 3, 1804-May 30, 1875) was married to Leah Zeller (Oct 15, 1913-Aug. 15, 1894). They are buried at Kimmerlings, where they likely held their church membership, for they were Reformed. They had a considerable family: Kathie - died at age 6, Leah - married John Ruhl, Absalom - (May 18, 1839-June 28, 1909) married Catharine Good, storekeeper at Mt. Zion, buried at Kimmerlings, with 7 children: Agnes married John Miller, Amelia married Albert Hunsicker, Annie married Harry Kercher, Elizabeth married William Kochenderfer, and 3 deceased. Emelina - married Joseph Spangler, Isaac 3rd - married Antinetta Shaak, Reformed, music teacher and dealer. Four children: Isaac 4th, John, Leah married to Clayton Arnold, and Annie who died young. Moses - Reformed, soldier of the Civil War, 4 children in Philadelphia: Frank, Wilmer, Clarence and Annie. Mollie - married John Reich, Reformed, blacksmith on Dand Hill. Savilla - died age 13. Annie - married John B. Reist Milton - died young
The Farm of Henry Brandt
We left the old homestead in possession of Jacob Brandt Jr. (Apr. 4, 1807- Sept. 24, 1837) and his administrator transferred the property, 225 acres in 1840 to John N. Kilmer. It was bought, with hundreds of acres besides, by the original Brand in 1745, so lacked five years of being in the Brandt name for one century. Kilmer transferred it, or part of it, to Samuel Bleistein, whose daughter Susan transferred it to her husband, John H. Stohler, the present owner in 1893. The Ambrose Seyfert farm in rear was a part of the Jacob Brandt farm.
On Oct 13, 1829 Jacob Brandt conveyed to Abraham Groh, Henry Brandt and Isaac Brandt, for $10, the land being the same tract which for a long time has been occupied as a grave yard or burying ground, and part of the same tract which was allotted and confirmed by the Orphan’s Court of Lebanon County to Jacob Brandt, party thereto. See - deed book G. Vol I p. 531, Lebanon court house. Groh likely was brother-in-law to the brothers Henry and Isaac Brandt. Groh died Jan. 1, 1835 and Henry Brandt Sept. 23, 1851. Apparently no trustees were elected to succeed these three. The deed was passed into the hands of John Brandt, son of Henry’s son Isaac. It is now in the custody of Mrs. Emma Klopp, of Front & Cumberland Sts, the daughter of John Brandt.
We saw in a previous article that Christian Brandt bought for his son Henry, a farm located “on the north side of the canal”. It is the Wolf farm, a short distance northeast of the city. The barn of the farm burned down recently. Christian conveyed this farm to Henry in 1801. Before taking up Henry Brandt and his family we wish to pay some attention to...
The Union Canal
It was on Apr. 17, 1798, that Christian Brandt bought this farm “on the north side of the canal”. It was on Sept. 29, 1791 that the legislature of Pennsylvania incorporated a company to connect the Susquehanna with the Schuylkill by a canal and slack-water navigation. Work was commenced on lands between Lebanon and Myerstown in 1794, but great obstacles were in the way. After spending $450,000 some of the chief stock holders became financially involved. The farmers interposed the most strenuous objections to seizing of their lands. A subscription of $300,000 tendered by the state proved ineffective. Further state encouragement finally in 1821 enabled the managers to resume operations. The canal was finished in 1827, and the first boat the “Alpha of Tulpehocken” passed through Lebanon going west. The last boat to come into Lebanon was the “Three Sisters”. The last boat from Myerstown to Reading “Beneville Bennetch” loaded with limestone at what is now Millardsville. This was in the fall of 1871. Simon Guilford, father of Dr. Guilford, made cement at Millardsville, used in the construction work on the canal - he first cement in America. Up to 1828 more than $1,600,000 had been expended on construction - no small sum for that day.
Says Egle: “In this era of railroads it may have lost its commercial preponderance, but nothing can alter the fact that its projectors have done more for Lebanon county in the past than any other person or persons, nor take from them the honor of having laid the cornerstone of the prosperity of the sections through which the canal passes”.
Henry Brandt and his growing family on the hill just north must have witnessed the work of completing this important waterway; and were likely out in force to see the "Alpha of Tulpehocken" motored by a team of mules hitched to a long tow rope, as it come up over the divide between the Tulpehocken and Quittapahilla and entered the metropolis of Leb
Children of Christian Brandt and Barbara Weller are:
+Jonathan Brandt, b. 09 Jul 1824, Swatara Twp. Pennsylvania, d. date unknown, Pennsylvania.
+Michael Brandt, b. 21 Aug 1818, Swatara Twp. Pennsylvania, d. date unknown.