Starting Sept. 5, 2014, Genealogy.com will be making a big change. GenForum message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
 
Learn more


Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals |InterneTree |Sources


View Tree for John Peacock RedmayneJohn Peacock Redmayne (b. November 28, 1813, d. June 19, 1900)

John Peacock Redmayne (son of John Redmayne and Jane Brownlow)770 was born November 28, 1813 in Little Bolton, Lancashire771, and died June 19, 1900 in Southport, Lancashire772. He married (1) Mary Haddock on 1839 in Blackburn, Lancashire773, daughter of Joseph Haddock. He married (2) Martha Leigh on 1854 in Blackburn, Lancashire773.

 Includes NotesNotes for John Peacock Redmayne:
In about the year 1838, in Tockholes, Redmayne's Cotton Mill was erected by John and his brother Richard, which provided employment for a considerable number of people. In 1851 there were 2 men, 29 women, 23 girls and 16 boys, a total of 70 people. Redmayne's, or Lower Mill, passed successively into the hands of Henry Ward of Blackburn, Sandford and Haydock and then Messrs. E. and G. Hindle, by whom it was taken down about 1870-72. Now, (1999) the four houses in Tockholes known as Pleasant View used to be the mill offices, which stand back from the road next to the large house, Fine Peters (where Richard Brownlow Redmayne lived for a time), with the mill in the field behind......................................................................................................

The following descriptions are from the " Cotton Town digitisation project " from material provided by Mike Rothwell on www.cottontown.org...............................................................

Victoria Mill (Tockholes)

A small weaving mill, erected about 1838, by Richard and John Redmayne. At the time of Mary Redmayne's failure in 1856, the mill contained 144 looms. J.P.Redmayne briefly ran the mill before he too was declared bankrupt in 1857. The family, however, recovered and later became cotton waste merchants in Blackburn.

Victoria Mill was acquired by Henry Ward, cotton manufacturer of Swallow Street, Blackburn, who added a shed for 260 looms at the rear of the existing building. Between 1859 and 1869 the mill was worked by Sandford & Haydock. A workforce of about 150 was employed.

In 1869 the mortgagees sold the machinery, and although there were attempts to sell the shed until 1872, these were unsuccessful and the buildings were demolished.

Site: Pleasant View, a terrace of cottages, marks the site. These dwellings were integral with the mill, and may have partly housed offices and warehousing. The remains of a heavy gate pier can be seen attached to the north-west gable. Traces of the mill pond remain slightly to the south-east of the factory site...............................................................................

Duke Street Mill

The site of a late 18th century size and warehouse, later acquired by John Abbott, a minor calico manufacturer. In 1834 a new four storey size house was built. Abbott installed 240 looms in the buildings c1840, and in 1850 a conventional shed was added. In 1852 when Abbott was bankrupt for a second time the mill comprised four storey weaving shop, three storey sizehouse, loom shed and a main 25 hp beam engine, probably by William Yates. 387 looms employing 240. Following a Short period under J. P. Redmayne, Richard Greenwood purchased the mill in 1857. Extensions of the early 1860's increased looms to 470. After a time under Greenwood's executors, William Greenwood became the sole owner. Leased 1896-97 to Arthur Shutt & Co., closed 1928. Sold to Blackburn Corporation and demolished in 1932...............................................................................................................

12th April, 1852, Blackburn Standard

SALE OF VALUABLE COTTON MILLS, SIZING HOUSE, ENGINES, MACHINERY, AND PREMISES. TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY MR. B. SANDFORD, (By order of the Trustees of the Estate and Effects of Mr. John Abbott,) at the Bull Hotel, Blackburn, on Wednesday, the FIFTH day of MAY, 1852, at Five o'clock in the Evening, (unless previously disposed of by Private Treaty, of which notice will be given,) subject to Conditions to be then produced; IN ONE LOT, 1ST. A large BUILDING, four stories high, situate at the bottom of Duke Street, in Blackburn, occupied as a Power-Loom Mill and Warehouse, with the Mechanic's Shop, Smithy, and Joiner's Shop, and the Engine House, Steam Engine, of ten horses' power, Mill Geering, and Shafting. 2ND. A SIZING HOUSE, three stories high, near the Mill, with the Steam Engine, (of 31/2 horses' power) and Steam Boiler. These premises are suitable for carrying on the business of Sizing, on an extensive scale. The Land and Buildings hereinbefore first and secondly mentioned, are Freehold of Inheritance, and are subject to the yearly ground rent of 1 2s. 91/2d., as a proportionate part of a larger rent. 3RD. A BUILDING, fronting Duke Street aforesaid, and adjoining the said Mill, part of which is occupied as a Dwelling-House and Grocer's Shop, other part as two Dwellings, and the remainder as a Watch-House and Counting-House, with the spacious Yard or vacant Land at the back. This Lot is also Freehold, and subject to the yearly ground rent of 2 0s. 5d., as a proportionate part of a larger rent. 4TH. The large and newly-erected POWER-LOOM SHED, situate behind the lastly described premises, (and adjoining the Size House,) together with the Steam Engine, of 26 horses' power, two Boilers, Mill Geering and Shafting, (all nearly new,) Steam and Gas Pipes, together with the Lodges or Reservoirs connected with the Works. These premises will be sold for the the residue of a term of 20 years, created in 1850. There is a Covenant in the Lease for renewal, and also for granting the Fee, if it should be hereafter acquired by the Lessors, subject to the yearly ground rent of 37 11s. 0d. The whole of the premises hereinbefore described are now in the possession or occupation of the said Trustees or their undertenants. The purchaser willl be required to take the Looms, Sizing Apparatus, and other Machinery, Articles, and Things upon or about the premises, at a valuation. For further particulars, and to view the premises, application may be made to any of the Trustees, viz:-Mr. JOHN PEACOCK REDMAYNE, (on the premises,) Mr. THOMAS BOLTON, Cotton SPinner, Blackburn, Mr. WILLIAM YATES, Ironfounder, Blackburn, and Mr. PETER NEVILL, Witton, near Blackburn; or to AINSWORTH, HOLLINSHEAD, and KAY, Solicitors, Blackburn. Blackburn, April 16th, 1852. ...........................................................................



More About John Peacock Redmayne:
Baptised: January 5, 1814, Horwich, Lancashire.774
Business Residence: 1845, 10 Friargate, Preston, Lancashire.775
Occupation 1: 1845, Grocer and Tea Dealer.775
Occupation 2: 1857, Commission Agent.776
Occupation 3: 1881, Wholesale Tea Dealer.777
Residence 1: 1900, Southport, Lancashire.778
Residence 2: 1849, Manchester, Lancashire, England.778
Residence 3: 1857, Manchester, Lancashire, England.779
Residence 4: 1881, 40, Clarence St., Broughton in Salford.780

More About John Peacock Redmayne and Mary Haddock:
Marriage: 1839, Blackburn, Lancashire.781

More About John Peacock Redmayne and Martha Leigh:
Marriage: 1854, Blackburn, Lancashire.781

Children of John Peacock Redmayne and Martha Leigh are:
  1. Mary Elizabeth Florence Jane Redmayne, b. 1860, Liverpool, Lancashire782, d. date unknown.
  2. Unknown Redmayne, d. date unknown.
Created with Family Tree Maker


Home | Help | About Us | Biography.com | HistoryChannel.com | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009 Ancestry.com