"We pass through this life in an instant - the essence of our ancestors."
**March 27, 2012: Please note that I can no longer make content updates to this site. I do welcome inquiries and can still be reached at the email link above. I also have another website devoted to the Buckhout Family and some of the descendants of Jan Boeckhout/Buckhout who arrived in New Amsterdam (now New York City) in 1663. Please visit that site at http://www.buckhoutfamily.com (copy & paste into your browser)**
Researching my family history has been a labour of love. I began collecting family stories and pictures when I was twelve years old. My parents, Cliff and June (Hewitt) Roach, instilled in me a great appreciation for history and a desire to "know more" about where, and who, I came from.
I have met many wonderful "cousins" in my research, who have been a great help in furthering 'our' collective information:
Doug Besharah, Jana Robertson, Pam Walker, Polly Bookhout, the late Jim Keeler, Jon Pepper, Liz Lewis, the late Terence Forin, Rod Keeler, the late Tom Applebee, the late Dave Brown, Bonnie Jackson, Kit Cutting, Amy Appleby, Keith Harrison, the late Donald Avery, Debbie Hunt, Nelson Moody, Harriet Grover-Chmara, Vicki Ouderkirk, Charlene Mitchell Neely, Irv Peach, Alex Broomfield, Dorothy Reid, Hal Smith, Sue Reynolds, Joy Gifford, and most importantly, the late Wesley B. Keeler.
Without Wes' definitive books on the Keeler Family of Norwalk, CT and 'beyond,' I never would have made the connection to this wonderful and amazing family history.
I must also mention Linda (McKague) van Will, from Castleton, Ontario, who was kind enough to assist this struggling researcher and made the "brothers" connection between Martin & Joseph Keeler.
Dear Ancestor --
Your tombstone stands among the rest;
Neglected and alone
The name and date are chiseled out
On polished, marble stone
It reaches out to all who care
It is too late to mourn
You did not know that I exist
You died and I was born.
Yet each of us are cells of you
In flesh, in blood, in bone.
Our blood contracts and beats a pulse
Entirely not our own.
Dear Ancestor, the place you filled
One hundred years ago
Spreads out among the ones you left
Who would have loved you so.
I wonder if you lived and loved,
I wonder if you knew
That someday I would find this spot,
And come to visit you.
Written by: Walter Butler Palmer (1868-1932)
Published in "Heart Throbs and Hoof Beats"
San Jose, CA Hills-Murgotten Co., 1922
I am actively researching:
BUCKHOUT/BOOKHOUT, Henry - son of John & Anna BUCKHOUT - (born abt. 1800) - migrated from NY to Ontario, Canada in abt. 1831
KEELER, Martin, Eli & Joseph - brothers who came to Ontario from Rutland, VT in the mid 1790's, early 1800's to settle
STEWART, James & Martha - she is the sister of the above three brothers, and they also came to Ontario from Vermont
ROACH, Hugh - born in Wales, came to Victoria, BC in about 1888
IMMERTHAL, Wilhelmine - born in Hamburg, Germany in 1887 - came to Canada in the early 1900's
AVERY, William - born in Devonshire, England and immigrated to Ontario in the early 1890's and then homesteaded in Golden, BC
HEWITT, William - born in Cornwall, England and immigrated to Golden, BC in the early 1900's
CRADDOCK, Humphrey - born in Cornwall, England in 1789, the family has been in St. Minver for generations
MITCHELL, Thomas - born in Cornwall, England in the 1830's
Please contact me if you are interested in sharing information, or have a query about someone mentioned in my family tree.
Thanks for dropping by!
Carol (Roach) Murray
This Web Site was created on April 20, 2001. Please advise of any broken links to other web sites noted below.
- 1810 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (34 KB)
Find a missing relative in Cramahe Twp, Newcastle District.
- The Independent - Keeler Article - June 20, 2001 (5 KB)
Read about my trip to Ontario and my "quest" to know more about the Keelers.
- 1812 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (38 KB)
Another census return for Cramahe Twp, Newcastle District.
- 2000 Keeler Family Genealogy Book - Ordering Info. (6 KB)
Wesley B. Keeler's book can be ordered from the Keeler Tavern Museum in Connecticut - Click on this link to find out how.
- Joseph Keeler - Kill the Supreme Court! (5 KB)
In 1879, Joseph Keeler, MP, petitioned for the abolition of the newly formed Supreme Court of Canada. This is an enjoyable short article chronicling that event.
- 1813 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (40 KB)
Still looking for an elusive ancestor? It might be in this census return.
- Lakeport History (5 KB)
Find out more about the place where the Keeler's first landed in Ontario.
- 1815 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (38 KB)
Early census records continue for Cramahe Twp.
- Upper Canada Land & State Book "A" (1792) (11 KB)
Read excerpts about the early Upper Canada Land Grant Process.
- 1822 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (91 KB)
Keep looking, you never know if a lost relative will appear in one of these early records from Newcastle District.
- 1816 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (39 KB)
Another census for Newcastle District.
- The Independent - Christie Mill - Colborne, Ont. (4 KB)
Read about the possible future for the Christie Mill, originally built by Joseph Keeler.
- 1823 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (100 KB)
Keep looking for a migrating ancestor! Families moved extensively in the early years of settlement.
- Eli Keeler & the Slave Boy "Tom" (22 KB)
An interesting article about the last known slave in Upper Canada, who was owned & sold by Elijah
Keeler in 1824.
- KEELER - Upper Canada Marriage Bonds (11 KB)
These marriage bonds span early years in Upper Canada and may be a source of information on a Keeler ancestor.
- 1825 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (71 KB)
Another census return for Cramahe Twp in Newcastle District.
- 1817 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (44 KB)
Continue the search for your ancestors!
- 1803 Haldimand Twp Census - Heads of Household (38 KB)
Look through the first census return for this Township in Newcastle, adjacent to Cramahe Twp.
- 1818 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (53 KB)
More settlers arriving in the area each year!
- 1804 Haldimand Twp - Heads of Household (42 KB)
The second census return for Haldimand Twp.
- 1819 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (64 KB)
Journey through another early Census for this Township in Newcastle District.
- 1805 Haldimand Twp Census - Heads of Household (42 KB)
Search another early census from Haldimand Township.
- BOOKHOUT - Ont. Civil Rec. (Births) 1869 - 1905 (16 KB)
Updated to include Bookhout, Bookout and Buckout births to 1905.
- BOOKHOUT - Ont. Civil Rec. (Deaths) 1869 - 1929 (15 KB)
Find a death registration for a Bookhout, Bookout or Buckout family member.
- 1820 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (69 KB)
Seventeen years after the first census, this Township is still growing! Check it out...
- 1821 Cramahe Twp Census- Heads of Household (96 KB)
The Township population exceeds 1,000 (including servants) in this census return! Check it out...
- KEELER - Ont. Civil Rec. (1869 - 1905) - Births (88 KB)
Updated to include birth records to 1905 for Keeler, Keelor and Keelar surnames.
- KEELER - Ont. Civil Rec. (1869 - 1930) - Deaths (84 KB)
Updated to include death records to 1930. Note: This is a large file and may take a moment to load.
- 1803 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (35 KB)
Explore the first census for Cramahe Twp, Newcastle District, Ontario.
- BOOKHOUT - Ont. Civil Rec. (Marriages) 1869 - 1918 (12 KB)
Find a marriage record for a Buckout, Buckhout or Bookhout family member.
- 1839 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (206 KB)
This file may take a moment to load. Religious affiliation is included in this census.
- 1804 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (37 KB)
Look for a lost ancestor in this second census for Cramahe Twp.
- 1805 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (36 KB)
View the third census for Cramahe Twp, Newcastle District.
- KEELER - Ont. Civil Rec. (Marriages) 1869 - 1920 (112 KB)
Look for a Keeler marriage record in this compilation from the Ontario Vital Stats. This is also a large file and may take a moment to load.
- 1807 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (31 KB)
Look here for an early ancestor in Cramahe Twp.
- 1840 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (215 KB)
Another useful census for Cramahe Twp, Newcastle District.
- 1809 Cramahe Twp Census - Heads of Household (37 KB)
Another early census record in Newcastle District.
- History - Newcastle District & Northumberland Cty (10 KB)
Read about when Newcastle District was formed and when it changed to Northumberland County.