Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals |InterneTree |Sources


View Tree for John LefeberJohn Lefeber (b. Bet. 1708 - 1710, d. February 03, 1779)

John Lefeber (son of Abraham Lefeber and Mary Pennock) was born Bet. 1708 - 1710 in Pennsylvania, and died February 03, 1779 in Hereford, Berks Co., Pennsylvania. He married Christina Wentz, daughter of Peter Wentz and Elizabeth.

 Includes NotesNotes for John Lefeber:
My Paternal 6th Great-Grandparents
John had inherited 500 acres in Worcester Township, Philadelphia County, from his father, Abraham, which later, after a survey in 1743, was really 567 acres. The records show that he was one of twenty-five taxpayers in Worcester Township in 1734. Apparently, John sold this tract of land except for a small portion. Christina's father, Peter Wentz (my 7th-great-grandfather), owned adjacent property.
In 1743, he bought 368 acres just north of the present-day town of Tatamy, which was known as the "Forks of Delaware," the name by which Forks Township was then known. Sometime between 1743 and 1745 he moved and built a new log cabin not far from the stream known as Tatamy's Creek.
Tatamy's Creek was named after the Indian, Moses Tatamy, however, it soon became known as Lefevre's Creek after he settled on its banks. Today it is known as Bushkill Creek, although, the Little Bushkill is still known to the locals as Lefevre's Creek. .
The Delaware Indian, Moses Tunda Tatamy, had converted to Christianity and married a white women. Records show that he had been the chief of his tribe and was born in New Jersey, and he had received as a gift of appreciation from the Proprietaries, 315 acres (which was the tract of land adjacent to the Lefevre property). Tatamy and his wife were John and Christina's only neighbors for a number of years.
On June 19, 1753, John petitioned to the Justices of Northampton County to recommend him to the Governor for a license for the operation of a "public house" or tavern at his residence on Lefevre Creek. The petition states that he had previously been licensed to keep a house of "public entertainment."
Records show that in 1755, John Lefevre was the only person licensed to sell liquor. In May of 1752, the Lefevre's house had been the headquarters for the planning of what is today the town of Easton. It was soon decided that there was a need for the trail to this area be made into a "High Road" to the City of Philadelphia. Within two years John Lefevre was included on the board of trustees for the building of a school in Easton (approximately five miles away).
"A Frontier Village, Pre-Revolutionary Easton" was written in 1940 by A.D. Chidsey, Jr., president of the Northampton County Historical and Genealogical Society in 1931-33 and 1935-37. Volume III, chapter 4,
is entitled, John Lefevre, Tavern Keeper.
At first, the Lefevre Tavern was located in untamed wilderness. There, they entertained such people as William Parsons, the well-educated man of culture and foremost citizen of the county seat of Northampton, as well as Nicholas Scull, the Surveyor General of the Province. They were also friends with Benjamin Franklin. The good German cooking of Christina, to be served by one of their six daughters, and the ample accommodations, apparently lured travelers out of their way.
In 1755, Indian uprisings reached Easton. These raids started along the Susquehanna and spread north eastwardly to Northampton County. On November 23, 1755, the Gnadenhuetten massacre occurred, making the peaceful Moravians (Protestants) and the Lefevres fearful. On Christmas, Benjamin Franklin and James Hamilton (commissioners) met in Easton with William Parsons to verify the dangers. Constant fears of Indian raids and massacres continued, making the years 1755, '56 and '58 very difficult for the Lefevres.
John and Christina were hosts to many pioneers making their way from the frontiers; some were penniless and terror-stricken. The hospitable Lefevres gave them food and drink and a place to rest.
Some stayed and made their homes around Easton after finding safety at the stockade at Friedensthal.
By August, 1756, there were seventy-five refugees there, including13 women and 49 children.
The first treaty with the Indians was held at Easton the summer of 1756 and the second one in October of the same year; however, no sooner were the treaties brought to a close and the announcement made of peace with the Indians, new outbreaks would occur. (Tatamy was the interpreter for these treaties).
John must have realized that Easton was no longer the "frontier" and it was at the very verge of civilization; with his youth now failing, in 1761, he returned to the property he still owned in Worcester Township in Philadelphia County, the home of his youth. In 1764, he and Christina sold their 368 acre
tract to his son-in-law, Captain John Van Etten.
In 1762, John and Christina along with Jacob and Elizabeth Wentz each gave one acre in Worcester County to the Wentz Reformed Church where a new church was built.
Prior to the Revolutionary War, records show that John and Christina owned 100 acres in Worcester County. Their son Isaac owned a similar amount there. John somehow had also acquired land in Loudon County of Virginia of which he willed 125 acres to his son, John, and 150 acres to his son, Henry.
John had inherited the religious zeal and perseverance of the Huguenots and the plodding honesty of the Dutch. As a member of the Dutch Reformed Church. he carefully kept and treasured the family Bible.
During the peaceful times he used it to bring up his children in his faith; during the days of fear and
tribulation, it gave him comfort and hope. before his death, he bequeathed to his favorite son, Isaac, his Dutch Bible.
John and Christina had eleven children (6girlds/5boys) of which my 5th great-grandfather, Isaac, was the eighth child.
1. Margaretha m. Captain John Van Etten (of the Minisinks was commissioned by Benjamin Franklin in 1756 and was placed in command of Fort Hysdshaw near the present-day town of Bushkill)
2. Suzanna m. Gabriel Frey
3. Catherine m. Jacob Best (settled in Moore Township)
4. Anna Mary m. Peter Mellig
5. Elizabeth m. Leonard Gressemer
6. Christina m. John Mellig
7. John, Jr. (served in the Revolutionary War)
8. Isaac m. Maria Magdalina (served in the Revolutionary War with son, Samuel and brother, John))
9. Abraham m. Elizabeth (Abraham served on the Northampton County Grand Jury in 1759)
10. Nicholas
11. Henry

More About John Lefeber:
Children: 11 children (6 girls/5 boys).
Naturalization: Bet. 1729 - 1730
Occupation: Tavern Inn Keeper.
Religion: Dutch Reformed Philadelphia Church.

Children of John Lefeber and Christina Wentz are:
  1. +Isaac Lefeber, b. Abt. 1732, Pennsylvania, d. Abt. 1799, Pennsylvania.
Created with Family Tree Maker


Home | Help | About Us | Biography.com | HistoryChannel.com | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009 Ancestry.com