Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]

Descendants of Alexander Morton

Generation No. 2

2. JEAN4 MORTON (ALEXANDER3, ROBERT2, ADAM ROBERT1) was born 12 Sep 1798 in Henrytown, Loudoun, Ayr, Scotland, and died 14 Oct 1847 in Galston, Ayr, Scotland. She married HAMILTON STEEL 05 Apr 1822 in Galston, Ayr, Scotland, son of WILLIAM STEEL and JEAN HUMPHREY. He was born 25 May 1796 in Galston, Ayr, Scotland, and died 24 Jun 1878 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah.

More About J
Cause of Death: Typhus epidemic
Christening: 16 Sep 1798, Loudoun, Ayr, Scotland

Notes for H
(Lottie Hymas Roberts, out of curiosity of my ancestors background received this information from Janet Steel Fuhriman).......abt 1960

The Steel family were probably of Surf origin. The surname, Boyd, (meaning fair), being the name of Hamilton Steel's wife's mother, was ...he was a brother of Stewart and the two families were of the same clan down to the time of Calvin, or was it Knox, who started Protestantism in Scotland. Anyway, the Boyd's went Protestant the Stewart's being the ruling house stayed Catholic. In the persecution that followed all the Boyd holding, including castle, were confiscated. All records burned. In the book I read it said all Boyd's living in America, Ireland and Scotland are probably descendants of this family, but no one can prove it. As all records stop, going back, at the reformation. In talking to Father's cousin, she told me her mother told them, that when Jane Morton Steel corrected her daughters, she told them to always remember that they were ladies. That they knew they were related to the Royal House of Scotland...However, we can't prove it, so it is all legend to us. If we could prove it we could wear the plaid of the clan of Stewart.

Church of Scotland. Parish Church of Galston
Parish registers, 1670-1854
REPOSITORY NAME: Family History Library, 35 NW Temple St, Salt Lake City, UT 84150
Marriages v.4 1820-1828, 1848-1854.....1041377
Page 156. States: Hamilton Steel in this parish and Jean Morton in parish of Sorn were proclaimed
for the first time in order to marriage on Sabbath the 17 March 1822.

Church of Scotland. Parish Church of Sorn
Parish registers, 1692-1854
REPOSITORY NAME: Family History Library, 35 NW Temple St, Salt Lake City, UT 84150
british film area
1041468 Items 1-2
Baptisms v.3 1827-1854 Marriages v.4 1820-1854
Hamilton Steel in the parish of Galston and Jean Morton in this parish after being duly proclaimed here
in order to marriage were married 5 April 1822

More About H
Burial: Unknown, Salt Lake Cemetery, Salt Lake Co., Utah
Cause of Death: Infection in his leg.
Occupation: 1820, Weaver at Sornhill
Children of J
  i.   JANE5 STEEL, b. 10 Dec 1819, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 18 Aug 1898, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah; m. JOHN ROXBURGH, 24 May 1840, Loudoun, Ayr, Scotland; b. 28 Feb 1821, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 28 Mar 1899, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah.
  Notes for JANE STEEL:
Jane Steel came to Utah in about 1873.

  More About JANE STEEL:
Baptism: 30 Oct 1820
Burial: Unknown, Salt Lake Cemetery, Salt Lake Co., Utah

Burial: Unknown, Salt Lake Cemetery, Salt Lake Co., Utah

  ii.   ARCHIBALD STEEL, b. 27 Jan 1823, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 14 Jan 1847, Galston, Ayr, Scotland.
Cause of Death: Typhus epidemic

  iii.   ALEXANDER STEEL, b. 01 Apr 1824, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 21 Jan 1905, Franklin, Franklin Co., Idaho; m. (1) MARGARET FARGUHER, Bef. 1851, Scotland; b. Abt. 1824; d. 11 Apr 1902; m. (2) FANNIE CARTWRIGHT, Bef. 1860; b. Abt. 1824; d. 26 Jun 1896.
Alexander Steel and his wife emigrated to the U.S. early in 1856. In the spring of 1859 they left Massachusetts and started for Salt Lake City, arriving there about the middle of September.

Burial: 23 Jan 1905, Salt Lake Cemetery, Utah

  iv.   JANET STEEL, b. 08 Jun 1825, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 14 Jan 1848.
  v.   ELIZABETH STEEL, b. 15 Apr 1826, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 15 Jan 1888; m. [--?--] KILPATRICK, Unknown; b. Abt. 1826; d. Unknown.
Elizabeth Steel emigrated in 1880, settling first in Ohio, then in Colorado.

  vi.   MARY STEEL, b. 13 Jul 1828, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 31 Jul 1894; m. [--?--] BARRIE, Unknown; b. Abt. 1828; d. Unknown.
  vii.   HELEN STEEL, b. 17 Sep 1829, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. Unknown.
  viii.   HAMILTON STEEL, b. 14 Aug 1832, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 17 Jul 1899; m. MARTHA CHRISTIE, 04 Jun 1853, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; b. Abt. 1832; d. Unknown.
Occupation: Scotland, probably a miner

  ix.   AGNES STEEL, b. 26 Dec 1833, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 11 Nov 1904, Mendon, Cache Co.,, Utah; m. (1) JOHN CURRIE HILL, 26 Nov 1859, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah; b. 22 Jan 1814, Johnston, Renfrewshire, Scotland; d. 30 Aug 1863, Wellsville, Cache Co., Utah; m. (2) AMENZO WHITE BAKER, 19 Nov 1864, Mendon, Cache, Utah; b. 19 Jun 1832, West Winfield, Herkimer Co., New York; d. 13 Jul 1907, Mendon, Cache, Utah.
  Notes for AGNES STEEL:
Agnes Steel emigrated to the U.S. late in the year of 1856.


(This history is given by her own hand, including the punctuation and spelling)

"Agnes Steele daughter of Hamilton and Jane (Morton) Steele born at Galston Ayrshire Scotland December 25, 1833 and was baptized in they Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints on June 15, 1851, and sailed from Liverpool on November 19th 1855 on the ship Columbia, and landed at New York January 1st 1856 and went to Lawrence Mass where my brother Alexander lived, and stayed with him and worked at they steam looms till the spring of 1859. And then with my Brother and family we bid good by to Lawrence and started on our way to the home of the Saints where we landed all safe in the early fall. I was married to John Hill Nov 26, 1859. He was a widower with five children and on March the first 1860 my husband moved his family to Wellsville Cache Co where he alonge with his Brother and Nephue were getting material together to build a grist mill which was in running order in they fall. And on Aug 30th 1863 my Husband was took for a bare (bear) and killed, the blow fill and woulded deep, five men that dun the deed brought him home to my house, one ventured to open the doore and ask me how meney (many) children I had, I told him nine. On Nov 19 1864 I was married to Amenzo W. Baker. His home was at Mendon Cache County where I have lived ever since. And since then I have had eight chileren."


Agnes Steel Baker, daughter of Hamilton and Jane (Morton) Steel, was born December 25, 1833 at Glaston, Ayrshire, Scotland.
At the age of thirteen her mother died. Being the youngest in the family and her brothers and sisters all married, she was her fathers only housekeeper for many years.
At the age of seventeen she was converted by Mormon Elders and became a member of the Mormon Church on June 15, 1851. Her father and family were bitterly opposed to her joining the Mormon Church, and when told she was going to America, her father's grief was touching, but her coming to America was the cause in later years of her father, two brothers, two sisters and their family joining the Mormon faith and coming to Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah to live.
She sailed from Liverpool for America November 19, 1855 on the sail ship Columbus, landing in New York, January 1, 1856. It took six weeks to cross the ocean and she was sea-sick all the way.
After landing in New York, she went directly to Lawerence, Massachusetts making her home with her brother, Alexander Steele and working in the steam loom factory until the spring of 1859, when she made the trip across the plains with a company of Mormon emigrants, traveling with a family by the name of Piper and doing the family's cooking to pay her way, arriving in Salt Lake City in the early fall.
On November 26, 1859 she married John Hill a widower with five children. March 1, 1860 they moved to Wellsville, Cache County, where her husband and one of his brothers built and operated a grist mill the following fall.
September 23, 1860 her first child a girl was born. January 18, 1862 twins were born, a girl and a boy. June 30, 1863 another girl was born.
August 30, 1863, her husband in company with other men were hunting bear between Wellsville and Hyrum, that had been killing their cattle. He was mistaken for a bear by a party of men from Hyrum who were hunting bear also and was shot and instantly killed. This left his wife in a very sad circumstances with four babies of her own, the oldest not yet three years old and five step-children to care for.
November 19, 1864 she married Amenzo W. Baker and moved with her four babies and one-step child to his home in Mendon. She had eight children by him, five girls and three boys, making twelve children they brought into this world.
In the early days of Mendon she used to gather straw, braid it and make hats for her husband and boys and used to help one of her neighbors weave cloth, taking her pay in cloth which she made into clothing for her family.
During her life she called to part by death with four of her children, a little girl two and one half years old, a son seventeen, a daughter eighteen, and a married daughter twenty-eight years of age.
She endured all the poverty, hardships and privations the early settlers of Utah had to endure.
She was a member and teacher in the Relief Society for many years and a faithful member of the church. One of her greatest pleasures was attending her meetings. She was good to the poor, needy and sick. She was a true and faithful wife, mother, friend and neighbor. In all her trials, hardships and sufferings she never once lost faith in her religion and God.
On November 11, 1904 at the age of 71 years, she died at her comfortable home in Mendon, surrounded by her husband, eight children and many friends.
Thus ended the career of a faithful and noble woman.
(Pearl V. Wood, Historian--This copy made available through the courtesy of the International Society Daughters of Utah Pioneers) (Mendon Camp, Hist. No. 15)

  More About AGNES STEEL:
Baptism: 04 Mar 1834
Burial: Unknown, Mendon City Cemetery, Mendon, Utah

Amenzo White Baker by George W. Baker, Sr.

Amenzo White Baker, son of Simon and Mercy (Young) Baker, was born June 9, at West Winfield, Herkermer County, NY. Soon after his birth the family removed to Pomfret, Chautauqua County, NY, where they resided until 1839, when they became Proselytes of the Mormon faith and moved west to Iowa, which was then a territory. At this place he attended the village school and assisted in the labor on their new farm until the spring of 1846 when during the "exodus" of the Mormons from Illinois, he, together with his parents, left their new farm and joined the fleeing camps of Mormons, who continued their march to Mt. Pisgah, Iowa, where they remained until the following August, when they moved across the river and went into winter quarters. During the winter of 1846-1847 he went with his father, some 300 miles into the state of Missouri, to work for provisions for their journey to the Rocky Mountains.

In May 1847, the family started on their march for the west. Mr. Baker being assigned to drive tow yoke of oxen on one wagon, maintained this position until they arrived in Salt Lake City, October 2, 1847, where he assisted his father in getting out material for their house and making preparations for the winter. Being short of provisions and as there was an abundance of thistles in the bottoms, about one mile south of the fort, Mr. Baker was assigned the duty of gathering thistle roots with which he supplied the family during the winter of 1847-1848. The following spring he assisted his father in putting in some crops and in the fall helped his father gather what little they had raised, mostly corn, damaged by an early frost, necessitating an early harvest; his father being forced to economize, determined to make the best of his misfortunes, so while the boys were cutting and stripping the blades from the cornstalks, made a wooden mill to press them, and from which he made molasses. This proved to be a success and with Mr. Baker as one of the chief operators, he continued in the business until the fall of 1849, attending occasionally a winter school.

In 1851 he went with his father to work in what was afterwards called Baker's Canyon, in Davis County, where he labored until the fall of 1853, when he, together with his brother, George W. and some fifty others, were called on a mission to the Indians, where they built Fort Supply, at what is now Robertson, Wyoming, and labored at farming and preaching to the Indians, until the fall of 1856. This year Mr. Baker raised a good crop, and this being one of those experimental years in hand-cart emigration, several of the rear companies were caught in the deep early snow in a destitute condition, this being reported to President Young, a call was made for volunteers with good teams and wagons, to go to their rescue and bring them in to Salt Lake City. Mr Baker volunteered for the trip, and being 100 miles to the east of Salt Lake City, it gave him and his Fort Supply comrades 100 miles the lead of the Salt Lake City volunteers, so traveling east until they met the roar companies, bringing them on until they overtook the next company, etc. Here Mr. Baker experienced the most heart-rendering cites of his life; women and children, almost naked, in snow to their knees, some with frozen feet, and almost famished with cold and hunger. Here he performed the heroic acts of his life, in helping and caring for those unfortunate beings; he seems to have had the courage of a lion to have accomplished what he did. Some one or more of those unfortunate died each night, so there was a burial every morning, before breaking camp.

On one occasion they buried 16 persons in one grave or pit. He continued his labors with those people until they arrived at Fort Bridger, when he was relieved by fresh recruits from Salt Lake City, and returned to his home at Fort Supply, some 12 miles to the south.

During the early summer of this year, 1856, Mr. Baker and his companion My. James Brown, were out among the Indians, preaching and traveling from one camp to another, when, in a lonely place, they were surprised by a renegade of Navajo Indians, who, while they were hostile towards the United States Soldiers, were friendly with the Mormons. The Indians were out of their own territory and in the territory of the Snake Indians, t6o whom Mr. Baker and Mr. Brown were preaching.

Mr. Baker wearing the United States soldier coat, the Navajos thought they were "Americans" a name applied to all United States soldiers, so surrounded the missionaries, who, though they did not understand the Navajo language, after making examination of their underwear, found they were Mormons, and through his explanations to the others, they were released. Mr. Baker had many thrilling experiences while on this mission, continuing his travels among the Snake Indians until the invasion of Johnston's army in 1857, when the little colony at Fort Supply, abandoned their homes, which they had been four years in establishing, burned their buildings, grain and improvements, to prevent their occupation by the troops.

After being released from this command, he returned to his father's home in Salt Lake City, arriving there December 26, 1857, making this his home during the winter, and in the following spring of 1858 he took an active part in helping to move the poor families from Salt Lake City to Provo, Utah County, during the exodus of the "Saints" to the south.

President Young had been giving orders to vacate Salt Lake City, and all the northern settlements in Utah, and to leave their homes ready for the torch. After all the people had abandoned their homes and moved to the south, Mr. Baker, together with about 200 others, was detailed as a secret guard to keep in hiding, to apply the torch to every house if conditions should require it. Remaining in the city until July, when a treaty was made with the Government Commissioners, and all the people returned to their homes.

He engaged in sundry employments the balance of the summer and the following winter attended school, having had but little opportunity for schooling in earlier life.

The spring of 1859 found Mr. Baker preparing a trip to his native state, New York, to visit relatives and collect Genealogy, working his way to Omaha by driving a four mule team, and returning in the fall, worked his way back to Salt Lake City, as a matter of economy. The following winter he assisted in feeding the stock on his father's ranch, on the Jordan River, and in the spring of 1860, having concluded to try and make himself another home, he, in company with his brothers, Albert M. and George W., gathered together an outfit of agricultural implements and started for Cache Valley April 5, 1860, arriving in Mendon April 18, 1860.

These Baker brothers co-operated in their labors during 1860 and 1861, building a company cabin and corrals, all living together as one family. During this time he was enrolled as one of the home guards, under military discipline, which was necessary in all the new settlements of the Valley at this time, to protect themselves against the Indians, who were much displeased with the white man's encroachments of the Valley at this time, taking their land and catching their fish, and gave the colonies much trouble. He was subject to the military for about two years, working when off duty, in the canyons and on the farm, getting material together to build a home for himself, and was successful in his efforts in procuring a comfortable home. In 1861-1862 he taught the first school in Mendon, Utah.

In 1862 he was called to go to Omaha to assist in bringing the Mormon emigration to Utah; driving an eight -ox team from Mendon to Omaha, returning the same season, which required five months time for the round trip. Mr. Baker made himself so efficient on this trip that he was called to make a second trip the next year, 1863, thus making him a record of having driven ox teams across the plains five times, a distance of 5,125 miles under campaign discipline, besides having driven an ox team at home, for all of his team work, for a period of forty years, would give him a record of at least 25,000 miles, as a world's record for ox team driving.

The following year, 1864, he worked on his farm and improved his new home, and in the fall having harvested a good crop, and feeling that he was able to feed and shelter more than himself, and that it was not good to be alone, he married November 19, 1864, Agnes, daughter of Hamilton and Jane (Martin) Steele. She was born December 25, 1833, at Galston, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Mrs. Baker at the age of 17, while in Scotland, became a member of the Latter-day Saints Church on June 15, 1851, and sailed from Liverpool for America November 19, 1855, on the Sail Ship Columbia, landing at New York January 1, 1856, and went direct from there to Lawrence, Massachusetts, making her home with her brother, Alexander Steel, and working at the steam loom factory until the spring of 1859, when with her brother and his family, made the trip across the plains to Utah, arriving in Salt Lake City early in the fall.

She married first November 26, 1859, John Hill. He was a widower with five children. On March 1, 1860, they moved to Wellsville, Cache County, where her husband and one of his brothers built and operated a grist-mill the following fall. Here at Wellsville the following children were born to them: Jane Morton, born September 23, 1860, Archibald and Janett, twins, born January 1, 1862, and Frances, born June 30, 1863. On August 30, 1863, while her husband was in the brush between Wellsville and Hyrum, he was mistaken for a bear, and instantly killed by a party of hunters from Hyrum. This left her in sad circumstances, with a family of nine children to care for.

After her marriage to Mr. Baker, she went to his home in Mendon, Utah, where her husband worked on his small farm and continued to drive oxen on the farm and in the canyons until 1874, when he filed on 160 acres of railroad land adjoining Mendon City, which he afterwards bought, and in erecting better buildings, planting out a large orchard, he improved the new tract of land, until he had one of the best farms in that vicinity.

Mrs. Baker died November 11, 1904, at her home in Mendon, Utah. She was a noble woman of sterling character, a true wife, mother, friend and neighbor. This was the saddest misfortune of Mr. Baker's eventful life. It seemed to break him down in health and spirits more than all else, but, having three grown daughters at home, he was enabled to continue housekeeping.

His health continued poor for three years following the death of his wife, when he was stricken with pneumonia, from which he died seven days later, on July 13, 1907, surrounded by his children and many loving friends; thus ended the career of a great man, a good Christian, kind husband, loving father, patriotic citizen and a good neighbor.

(This copy, made available through the courtesy of the International Society Daughters of Utah Pioneers.)

Burial: 16 Jul 1907, Mendon City Cemetery, Utah, lot 78

  x.   WILLIAM STEEL, b. 03 Sep 1835, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. Feb 1848, Galston, Ayr, Scotland.
  xi.   JAMES STEEL, b. 22 Sep 1837, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 24 Jul 1913, Plano, Madison, Idaho; m. (1) MARY CLEMENTS, 1855; b. 1839, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 05 Sep 1860, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; m. (2) JANE MAIR, 06 Mar 1861, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; b. 15 Feb 1829, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 02 May 1893, Plano, Madison, Idaho.
  Notes for JAMES STEEL:
James Steel and his father emigrated in 1869 and came straight on to Salt Lake City. In 1883 James moved his family to Idaho, visiting Agnes in Cache County on the way.

Little is known of James Steel from the time he was 14 until he was 19, at which time he married Mary Clement. Certainly he had to get out and help support the family. At the time he married he was a soldier. He told of being in the Queen's Guard. Queen Victoria spent most of her summers at her summer palace in Edinburgh. She had a select guard here of highlanders over six foot tall. James was 6'2". When he enlisted or was released is not known. Only that it is known that he was working in the coal mines after his second marriage. He mentioned to mother what long hours he had worked and how rarely he had seen his children. They were asleep when he went to work and to bed before he ever got home again. That is probably one reason he loved to care for the kids.

In 1860 when 23 years of age he was left a widower with two little girls, Jane, 3 years old and Elizabeth, 5 days old. He found Mrs. Mair to be a wet nurse to the baby. One year later he married her daughter, Jane. She went into the family and took care of them all, including great grandfather Hamilton.

In 1867 James, his wife, and father were baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Two years later, having saved enough money for their boat fares, he sailed for New York. In his family were five children, the youngest, James, being 1 year old. His father who was 73 years old accompanied him. They were planning on stopping in Boston to work for awhile with his brother, George, in the ship yards. By this means he hoped to save money for their transportation across the United States. George had been in the United States several years. When he got to New York the church explained the emigration fund to him, so he came direct to Zion. George was quite angry because they didn't visit him.

They settled in Sugar House and James went to work in the granite quarry to repay the Church what he had borrowed. From 1869 when they entered Salt Lake Valley until he went to Idaho in 1883 he continued in this work. The granite he helped cut were used in the construction of the Salt Lake Temple.

In June 1878 his father, Hamilton, at the age of 82 died of infection in his leg.

In the spring of 1883, he with Hemsley, went to Idaho to look at the gentile valley area with plans to settle there. While visiting with sister Agnes Baker, they were told of the upper snake river area where Ricks' from Logan had gone. They changed their mind and came to the upper snake river area. They went to Mud Lake, then east to Rexburg. The bridge was out so they started up the west bank looking for a place to ford. While camping one evening he liked the looks of the sage brush and the feel of the soft soil running through his fingers. Soil that could raise such big sage brush should also raise food, so they never got to Rexburg.

He returned to Salt Lake City, sold all his property and outfitted his family, then consisting of a wife, one son and one daughter. He also bought teams and wagons and helped supply them for the two married daughters, their husbands and families, who were also going to Idaho to try their luck in a new land project. The oldest daughter Jane Hemsley, and husband were offered the same help but refused. He deeded the cemetery lot in Salt Lake to them instead.

It took three weeks to make the trip. On the way some of the stock were stolen by the Indians, they paid to get them back.

Near the first of September they arrived on the Egin Bench and commenced to build houses. Each of the men took up a quarter section. It took hard work to fight the desert and bring canals onto its hungry surface. The results were rapid and equaled the dreams he had of it. I believe it would be well to relate here that he got angry at a bull owned by a non-Mormon and killed it with his pitchfork. As a result, the man was going to sue him and take his holdings. James rode all night to beat the man to Blackfoot and transferred his land to his son, James. Later when mother died, he again transferred all holdings to his son. That is how his estate became his son's.

When his son James died, his daughter in Salt Lake City and the one in California both offered him a home for life, but no, he said he would stay and help Agnus with the farms.

James Steel died in 1913 at 76 years of age. Many stories could be told of his later life which would be very interesting to the coming generation. He was a tall, stern, kindly man. He loved his family, especially the children.
(This account was written by Janet Steel Fuhriman, daughter of James and Agnus Steel while she lived in Salt Lake City. The most part of the information was contributed by her mother while she was alert and could relate it clearly.)

  More About JAMES STEEL:
Burial: Unknown, Parker, Fremont, Idaho

  Notes for JANE MAIR:
From Robert JS Mair--Jane/Janet Mair recorded in the 1841 and 1851 Census records. I also records that Jane was a home loam weaver living at the "Old Manse" in Galston.

  More About JANE MAIR:
Christening: 02 Mar 1830

  xii.   GEORGE STEEL, b. 03 May 1838, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 1839.
  xiii.   GEORGE STEEL, b. 24 May 1840, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. 03 Sep 1911.
  Notes for GEORGE STEEL:
George Steel emigrated to the Boston area sometime before 1869.

  xiv.   ANNA STEEL, b. 24 May 1841, Galston, Ayr, Scotland; d. Unknown.

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]
Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009