David Mitchell was born 10 June 1737 in Armagh Co., Ireland, and died 10 June 1817 in Cedarville, Greene Co., OH. He married Margaret Mitchell on 1763 in Cedarville, Greene Co., OH, daughter of Robert Mitchell and Mary Enos.
Notes for David Mitchell:
DAR reference # 57707
David and Margaret came from Ireland (Northern Ireland, Ulster Province, probably Armagh County) to America about 1763. This family were "Covenanters"---Cora Lou Small records
8/18/92 According to the LDS records using the 1737 birthdate for David Mitchell, his father was from Ireland, mother from Delaware and they had several children who were born in Pennsylvania. This, of course, casts doubt on the notion that David and Margaret were born in Ireland. This will be a future problem to resolve. LDS reference # AF89-101577 [Submitter of information is Carolyn Salas, 3400 W. Midvalley Rd., Cedar City, UT 84720.]
NOTES: Check REligious Census (1740-1766) of Diocese Armagh @ Geneaological Society or Public Record Office in Belfast, IRland LDS_GS/Perogative Court of Armagh, original and printed indexes ====
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Cliffs/6573/mitchell.html Descendants of David Mitchell
1. David Mitchell born 1737, Co. Armaugh, Ireland, married Margaret Mitchell, born 1732, Ireland. David died Jun 10, 1817, Cedarville, OH. DAR Ref 57707. Enlisted in Capt. James Morrison's company, Col. Thomas Porter's Battalion of Associators, mustered in Lancaster Co., PA in 1776. Emigrated from PA to KY in 1779. Went to OH in 1802. Both came to America in 1763. Margaret: Although with the same last name, they were not related.
+ 2. i Elizabeth Mitchell born Feb 20, 1764.
+ 3. ii James Mitchell born 1765.
4. iii Margaret Mitchell born May 27, 1770, married 1788, James Small.
5. iv Sarah Mitchell born Feb 28, 1773.
6. v Ruth Mitchell born Mar 7, 1783.
2. Elizabeth Mitchell (1.David1) born Feb 20, 1764, Cumberland Co. PA, married 1786, David (Loughead) Laughead, born 1753/5, Lancaster Co., PA, (son of James Laughead and Eleanor McKnight) died Jan 29, 1824, Greene Co., OH, buried: Massie's Creek Graveyard, Xenia, OH. Elizabeth died 1825, buried: Massie's Creek Graveyard, Xenia, OH. SAR Ref. File # 8718 L.GED. David: DAR Records spell his name Loughead. SAR records spell name as Longhead. SAR listsa as Patriot serving as Pvt in PA Militia. SAR Ref. File # 8717 L.GED. DAR Ref. 107238. Served as Pvt in the 6th Company, 6th Battalion, Lancaster Co., PA militia, under Capt. Joseph Walker and Col. James Taylor. Emigrated to KY in 1790's, then OH in 1802. Was with George Rogers Clark at Old Town (Old Chillicothe, and Indian village) in 1780 with other Kentickians. . Came with large contingent from Rev. Armstrong's church.
7. i James Laughead born 1787, KY, married in OH, Anna Morton. James died Mar 11, 1854, Xenia, OH, buried: Woodland Cemetery.
+ 8. ii David Mitchell Laughead born 1778/89.
+ 9. iii William Laughead born 1792.
+ 10. iv Eleanora Laughead born 1796.
11. v Sarah Laughead born Nov 1, 1800, died Oct 8, 1858.
+ 12. vi Eliza Laughead born Jun 17, 1802.
13. vii Margaret Laughead born Jun 17, 1802, Greene Co. OH, married (?) McFarland. Margaret died 1836.
14. viii Matilda Laughead born 1804, KY, married Oct 9, 1828, Ebenezer Bain, (son of James Bain and (?)). Matilda died 1866, Huntsville OH. Ebenezer: Of Sugar Creek Twp, per Robinson
3. James Mitchell (1.David1) born 1765, Carlisle, PA, married Martha Espy, born 1835, PA, (daughter of Josiah Espy and Elizabeth Patterson) died Sep 1, 1865, Xenia, OH. James died Nov 28, 1848. R. S. Dill - Greene Co., Cedarville, Twp. says they had 13 children. Went to KY with parents at early age. Was in War of 1812. Martha: Went with parents to KY at early age. d. date per R. S. Dills - Greene Co. book.
15. i Margaret Mitchell.
16. ii David Mitchell born Sep 29, 1797, Maineville, PA, married (1) Mary Morrow, married (2) Lovey P. Knowlton. David died Jul 29, 1849, buried: Sycamore Graveyard.
17. iii Eliza Mitchell born Dec 19, 1799, Lexington KY, married Oct 11, 1824, Adam Winter. Eliza died Aug 11, 1839, Cedarville OH, buried: Cedarville Cemetery.
18. iv Anna (Ann) Mitchell.
19. v Maria Mitchell.
20. vi James Espy Mitchell.
+ 21. vii Samuel K. Mitchell born Jun 20, 1822.
22. viii Thomas Mitchell.
23. ix Robert Mitchell.
24. x Josiah Mitchell.
25. xi Martha Mitchell.
26. xii Sarah Mitchell.
27. xiii Francis P. Mitchell occupation Physician. Died of Yellow Fever in New Orleans.
8. David Mitchell Laughead (2.Elizabeth2, 1.David1) born 1778/89, Fayette Co., KY, married Feb 7, 1810, Elizabeth Kyle. David died Jan 27, 1870, Xenia OH, buried: Massies Creek Cemetery. Robinson says born in 1778. Served in War of 1812 with Maj. James Galloway, Capt. James Junkin and others (Capt. Sameul Herrod's company).
28. i Joseph K. Laughead born 1805, married Apr 18, 1839, Catherine Galloway, born Jul 9, 1811, (daughter of George Galloway and Catherine Barton). Joseph died 1883, buried: Woodland Cemetery.
29. ii David Laughead.
30. iii Isaac N. Laughead born 1810, occupation Minister, married Margaret Gregg. Isaac died Jul 22, 1894, buried: Washington, IA. Of Illinois per Robinson, History of Greene Co., OH
31. iv James Laughead.
32. v William C. Laughead.
33. vi Samuel Laughead.
34. vii Thomas S. Laughead.
35. viii Henry Laughead.
36. ix John Laughead.
37. x Emily Laughead.
38. xi Katherine Laughead.
9. William Laughead (2.Elizabeth2, 1.David1) born 1792, married Sep. 20, 1820, in OH, Martha Jackson, (daughter of Robert Jackson and Elizabeth McCorkle) died 1834, Huntsville, OH. William died Dec 15, 1872, Mercer Co, IL.
39. i Elizabeth Laughead.
40. ii Emaline Laughead.
41. iii Martha Laughead.
42. iv Lucilla Laughead.
43. v Robert J. Laughead.
44. vi David Laughead.
45. vii Margaret J. Laughead.
10. Eleanora Laughead (2.Elizabeth2, 1.David1) born 1796, married Nov 11, 1817, Henry T. Gillespie, (son of James Gillespie and Esther (?)). Eleanora died 1874. Called Eleanor in History. of Greene Co. Henry: Of Sugar Creek Twp, per Robinson
46. i Elizabeth Gillespie.
47. ii Hadassah Gillespie born 1811.
48. iii James Gillespie born 1813.
49. iv David Gillespie born 1813.
50. v Henry Gillespie born 1816.
51. vi William Gillespie born 1818.
52. vii Thomas Gillespie.
53. viii Sarah Ellen Gillespie.
12. Eliza Laughead (2.Elizabeth2, 1.David1) born Jun 17, 1802, Lexington, KY, married Dec 11, 1828, John K. Bradfute, born Nov 3, 1796, Scotland, (son of John Bradfute and Margaret Gibson) died Feb 14, 1870, Cedarville OH, buried: Cedarville Cemetery. Eliza died Apr 13, 1868, Cedarville OH, buried: Cedarville Cemetery. SAR Ref. File #8719 L.GED.
54. i Elizabeth Bradfute born Oct 8, 1829, Greene Co. OH, married Aug 31, 1854, in Xenia OH, James J. Johnston, born Mar 9, 1822, Balle James Duff, County Craven, Ireland, (son of Edward Johnston and Jane Paul) died Aug 18, 1897, Washington Co. IA. Elizabeth died Jun 12, 1915. James: Family went to Hampton IA
55. ii John Knox Bradfute born May 21, 1833, Miami Twp. Greene Co. OH, married Cornelia Ann Boal.
56. iii Jane (Jennie) Bradfute born Mar 3, 1836, married Dec 24, 1861, in Clark's Run, James Chestnut Stormont, born July 13, 1831, Chester Dist., SC, (son of John Stormont and Esther McMillan) died Oct 23, 1877, Cedarville, OH, buried: Massies Creek Cemetery. Jane died Dec 31, 1906, Greene Co. OH, buried: Massies Creek Cemetery. James: Brought to OH when only a few months old, per Robinson's History of Greene Co., OH. D. date per Robinson's History of Greene Co., OH
57. iv Mary Ellen Bradfute born Aug 27, 1840, married (?) Knox.
58. v Margaret Bradfute.
59. vi Sarah Ann Bradfute.
21. Samuel K. Mitchell (3.James2, 1.David1) born Jun 20, 1822, Xenia Twp, OH, married 1842, Elizabeth McFarland, (daughter of Jacob McFarland and (?)). Samuel died 1853. 13th son. Left farm on which he was born, and went to Cincinnati in fall of 1854, then returned to Cedarville in 1857.
60. i James J. Mitchell.
61. ii Anna Mitchell.
62. iii William M. Mitchell.
More About David Mitchell: Source: 2000, Tom Illif, Internet.
More About David Mitchell and Margaret Mitchell: Marriage: 1763, Cedarville, Greene Co., OH.
Children of David Mitchell and Margaret Mitchell are: