Notes for Charles Adams: Charles Adams was captured and killed by Iroquois.
He may have come over with Joseph Smith, relative? of Rebecca Smith in 1640. He bought land at Oyster River from John Ault on April 10, 1645. He built a garrison house in 1655. He took an of fidelity in 1669. He became a constable in 1662. He and 14 others of his househould were slain in the massacre of 1694. His garrison house burned, son Charles administered his estate on April 1, 1695.
Buried in the mound of earth marking their graves, is very near the Mathes burial place at Durham Point.
Attack at Oyster River:
It was the end of June, 1694 when Villieu and Thury, with one Frenchman and 105 Indians, began their long canoe-voyage to the English border. The savages were directed to give no quarter and told that the prisoners already in their hands would ensure the safety of their hostages in the hands of the English. More warriors were to join them from Bigot's mission on the Kennebec.
On the ninth of July they neared Pemaquid; but it was no part of the plan to attack a garrisoned post. The main body passed on at a safe distance; while Villieu approached the fort, dressed and painted like an Indian and accompanied by 2 or 3 genuine savages, carrying a packet of furs as if on a peaceful errand of trade. Such visits from Indians had been common since the treaty and while his companions bartered their beaver skins with the unsuspecting soldiers, he strolled about the neighborhood and made a plan of the works. The party was soon joined by Bigot's Indians and the united force now amounted to 230. The held a council to determine where they should make their attack, but opinions differed. Some were for the places west of Boston and others for those nearer at hand. Necessity decided them. Their provisions were gone and Villieu says that he himself was dying of hunger. They therefore resolved to strike at the nearest settlement, that of Oyster River, now Durham, about 12 miles from Portsmouth. They cautiously moved forward and sent scouts in advance who reported that the inhabitants kept no watch. In fact a messenger from Phips had assured them that the war was over and that they could follow their usual vocations without fear.
Villieu and his band waited till night and then made their approach. There was a small village - a church, a mill, 12 fortified houses occupied in most cases only by families and many unprotected farmhouses, extending several miles along the stream.
The Indians separated into bands and stationing themselves for a simultaneous attack at numerous points, lay patiently waiting towards day. The moon was still bright when the first shot gave the signal and the slaughter began. The two palisaded houses of Adams and Drew, without garrisons were taken immediately. The wife and daughter Mercy were captured and the rest of families butchered.
The remaining seven were successfully defended though several of them were occupied only the the families which owned them. Among the unprotected houses the carnage was horrible. 104 persons, chiefly women and children half naked from their beds were tomahawked, shot or killed by slower and more painful methods. Some escaped to the fortified houses and others hid in the woods. 27 were kept alive as prisoners. 20 or more houses were burned but what is remarkable the Church was spared. Father Thury entered it during the massacre and wrote with chalk on the pulpit some sentences of which the purport is not preserved, as they were no doubt in French or Latin.
Children of Charles Adams and Rebecca Smith are:
+Marie-Ursule Adams, b. March 13, 1673/74, Oyster River, New Hampshire, USA, d. September 15, 1728, Yamaska,Quebec, Canada.